• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Awesome! No need to pay Taxi fare anymore!!!

roaringlion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Awesome! No need to pay Taxi fare anymore!!! Remember to not bring your ID along.

Taxi fare not paid, passenger goes free
Letter from Ong Swee Huat 04:45 AM Jul 29, 2011

LAST week, a passenger - who is a foreigner - refused to pay the S$7.80 taxi fare.

I then drove her to a police post. As I was lodging a report, she ransacked the glove apartment while in my taxi. This was witnessed by an officer.

The police asked the passenger to pay but she refused repeatedly. They asked for her passport or a valid document but she said she did not have any on her and gave only a telephone number.

She was allowed to go free despite all this.

I was told by the police to contact my taxi company for assistance and that it was "a small matter and the police have bigger roles".

My company's response later was: There is nothing it could do (although it is willing to compensate the amount).

I asked the police, for instance, about the lack of checks on whether my passenger had valid documents to stay in Singapore and what protection there is for cabbies who face such incidents.

The police replied that the offence of not paying taxi fare comes under the Land Transport Authority for enforcement and that such an offence "does not allow police officers to arrest without a warrant", which was why the officers "had no legal grounds to detain the passenger".

The reply also stated: The officers had followed procedures "by ensuring there was no breach of peace and that the particulars of both parties involved were obtained".

I am shocked and indignant to see such injustice - the irresponsible act of letting a non-fare paying passenger go without punishment and the callous remarks made at the police post.

The issue is this: How will this help eradicate a frustrating situation that innocent and hardworking taxi drivers face in Singapore?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
police: as this occur in private property, u have to find your own security company to resolve this. hee hee

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Poodles : Cannot be helped.

If this is a SINgaporeans it will be a different case, will be handcuffed, we are still suffering from the colonial hangover...our great leader says " welcome all FT from every country on planet earth", taxi driver, this cannot be helped, we have to obey! ha ha ha:biggrin:

roaringlion

Alfrescian
Loyal
"WHITE MEN ARE BIGGER & BETTER". No wonder PAP is wearing all white.

What a country with double standards and real citizens are 2nd class to foreigners.

thefarside

Alfrescian
Loyal
The truth is that our current police force is hopelessly inadequate when it comes to dealing with issues such as this. Poor staffing and leadership has taken its toll over the years. If you look at the quality of our policemen, especially those on the streets, you would be shaking heads at their uselessness. Ask anyone who had been to a police post to lodge a report - most of these officers cannot speak proper English and their lack of education shows.

Obviously PAP does not need a strong police force. Those in the know will be able to observe that only certain departments are treated well, while the rest are left to its own devices. If there is a need to put down civil unrest, there's always the army to do the job.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
The police replied that the offence of not paying taxi fare comes under the Land Transport Authority for enforcement and that such an offence "does not allow police officers to arrest without a warrant", which was why the officers "had no legal grounds to detain the passenger".

Next time round, drive to LTA and hear what LTA says.

lta_logo.gif

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even since the Traffic Police comes under the LTA, nowadays TP seems boh chap attitude,
so much so the Pick up truck, lorry drivers, 70km motorists also don't care a damn they speed as
though there's no tomorrow, keep driving on the extreme right lane, leaving only one extreme fast
lane for motorist to drive, why? traffic summon out source to Certis Cisco for parking offence.

Semb Corp out source by HDB, these outsource company pays incentive to their warden that's
why they are very "ON" hard working... even rural area like Ponggol are not let off even thou u can
hardly see cars passing by!!

At night u can see cars with extremely bright Xeno headlamp or illegal head lamp with extreme white
bright spotlight on, no Police will stop them or TP to book on these extremist motorists...Some even
install Blue LED lights in the front grill, running LED light like Night Rider???

Help!! TP to stop all these illegal non compliance LED / Xeno Lights..on our road, to make our road a
safer place to drive!!!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So perhaps the solution is to give incentive to TP for every errant drvier caught? I think everyone work OT for free then

Even since the Traffic Police comes under the LTA, nowadays TP seems boh chap attitude,
so much so the Pick up truck, lorry drivers, 70km motorists also don't care a damn they speed as
though there's no tomorrow, keep driving on the extreme right lane, leaving only one extreme fast
lane for motorist to drive, why? traffic summon out source to Certis Cisco for parking offence.

Semb Corp out source by HDB, these outsource company pays incentive to their warden that's
why they are very "ON" hard working... even rural area like Ponggol are not let off even thou u can
hardly see cars passing by!!

At night u can see cars with extremely bright Xeno headlamp or illegal head lamp with extreme white
bright spotlight on, no Police will stop them or TP to book on these extremist motorists...Some even
install Blue LED lights in the front grill, running LED light like Night Rider???

Help!! TP to stop all these illegal non compliance LED / Xeno Lights..on our road, to make our road a
safer place to drive!!!

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait, I thought it is against the law to not carry any identification in Singapore? If this is the case, any illegals could also get away with this?

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Penal Code, Chapter 224

Cheating.
415.Whoever, by deceiving any person, fraudulently or dishonestly induces the person so deceived to deliver any property to
any person, or to consent that any person shall retain any property, or intentionally induces the person so deceived to do or
omit to do anything which he would not do or omit if he were not so deceived, and which act or omission causes or is likely
to cause damage or harm to that person in body, mind, reputation or property, is said to “cheat”.

Explanation 1.
A dishonest concealment of facts is a deception within the meaning of this section.
Explanation 2.
Mere breach of contract is not of itself proof of an original fraudulent intent.

Illustrations
(a) A, by falsely pretending to be in the Government service, intentionally deceives Z, and thus dishonestly induces Z to let
him have on credit goods for which he does not mean to pay. A cheats.

(b) A, by putting a counterfeit mark on an article, intentionally deceives Z into a belief that this article was made by a certain
celebrated manufacturer, and thus dishonestly induces Z to buy and pay for the article. A cheats.
(c) A, by exhibiting to Z a false sample of an article, intentionally deceives Z into believing that the article corresponds with
the sample, and thereby dishonestly induces Z to buy and pay for the article. A cheats.
(d) A, by tendering in payment for an article a bill on a house with which A keeps no money, and by which A expects that the
bill will be dishonoured, intentionally deceives Z, and thereby dishonestly induces Z to deliver the article, intending not to
pay for it. A cheats.
(e) A, by pledging as diamonds articles which he knows are not diamonds, intentionally deceives Z, and thereby dishonestly
induces Z to lend money. A cheats.
(f) A intentionally deceives Z into a belief that A means to repay any money that Z may lend to him, and thereby dishonestly
induces Z to lend him money, A not intending to repay it. A cheats.
(g) A intentionally deceives Z into a belief that A means to deliver to Z a certain quantity of pepper which he does not intend
to deliver, and thereby dishonestly induces Z to advance money upon the faith of such delivery. A cheats; but if A, at the time
of obtaining the money, intends to deliver the pepper, and afterwards breaks his contract and does not deliver it, he does not
cheat, but is liable only to a civil action for breach of contract.
(h) A intentionally deceives Z into a belief that A has performed A’s part of a contract made with Z, which he has not
performed, and thereby dishonestly induces Z to pay money. A cheats.
(i) A sells and conveys an estate to B. A, knowing that in consequence of such sale he has no right to the property, sells or
mortgages the same to Z without disclosing the fact of the previous sale and conveyance to B, and receives the purchase or
mortgage money from Z. A cheats.
(j) A, playing with false dice, or marked cards, wins money from B. A cheats.
:
:
Punishment for cheating.
417.Whoever cheats shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with
both.

In this case, the foreign passenger, A, by falsely pretending to be a customer, intentionally deceives the taxi driver Z, and thus dishonestly induces Z to let her take the ride for which she does not mean to pay. A cheats.

Justice.png

Last edited:

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
I then drove her to a police post. As I was lodging a report, she ransacked the glove apartment while in my taxi. This was witnessed by an officer.

Penal Code, Chapter 224

Theft.
378.Whoever, intending to take dishonestly any movable property out of the possession of any person without that person ’s
consent, moves that property in order to such taking, is said to commit theft.
:
:

Punishment for theft.
379.Whoever commits theft shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 3 years, or with fine, or
with both.

Justice.png

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
An English Law ?

When I was young, I read about some legal stuff in a book from the National Library. It said you can actually pay an amount say half for an unsatisfactory meal in a restaurant because of its service or food. The rest is up to the establishment to sue you (for the other half ?)

Wow! I will pay half the price if I don't get my fast food in less than a minute ?

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: An English Law ?

dominos pizza never refunded me or give me free pizza when their pizza was 1HR LATE! years after they bankrupt in singpy, some cockster or company had the nerve to franchise it here again.