• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AWARE ask "Is the Women’s Charter Unfair to Men?" What do u think??

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.aware.org.sg/2010/11/womens-charter-unfair-to-men/

Is the Women’s Charter Unfair to Men?

In my experience as a lawyer, there are three main reasons that some men think the Women’s Charter puts them at a disadvantage. First there’s the name. Clearly a statute named “The Women’s Charter” must be about protecting women and be for their benefit, no?

Secondly, it’s to do with maintenance.
The Charter provides that only wives may seek maintenance from their husbands, and not the other way around.

Thirdly, there’s the custody debate. Many male divorcees claim (incorrectly, as I will later point out) that the Women’s Charter denies them the right to keep their children, and that because of the Charter, custody battles will almost always end in the mothers’ favour.

While I can understand why people think that the Women’s Charter is anti-male, this is really is a misconception. While some of the provisions are a little out of date, the Women’s Charter is NOT anti-male. The current exercise to update the Charter comes at a good time and we should use this opportunity to remove this misconception.

The Name

Part of the perceived imbalance is that there’s no Men’s Charter. The fact is that the Women’s Charter, passed in 1961, was borne out of a need to protect the rights of women. The regime prior to the Women’s Charter was extremely unfair to women. Men could legally take several wives. Women did not have the right to keep their maiden names and it was not clear if they could even own property. In the historical context, the Women’s Charter was an appropriate name in the ’60s as it provided women with some fundamental rights that women today take for granted but which were not available before the Charter.

However, the content of the Women’s Charter is not just about protecting women and conferring them with one-sided rights. The Charter essentially covers every conceivable aspect of marital and family law, from registration and dissolution of marriages, division of matrimonial assets, to maintenance provisions and the welfare of children.

So, really, the more appropriate name for this Act is the Family Charter.

This is why AWARE has recommended, in its Feedback on the Women’s Charter (Amendment) Bill to the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) that it should change the name of the Act to the Family Charter. This will go some way towards removing the widely held misconception that the Charter only protects women.

Maintenance

Today, under the Womens’ Charter, only women are entitled to seek maintenance from their spouse. Yes, this does seem somewhat unfair and outmoded since, unlike 50 years ago when the Charter was passed, many women work full-time and there are wives who earn more than their husbands.

AWARE believes that the Women’s Charter should be updated to reflect the changes in society and to promote a more gender neutral approach to marriage. In AWARE’s feedback on the proposed amendments to the Women’s Charter:

“AWARE recommends that the Women’s Charter be amended to provide that in appropriate cases, where it is just and equitable, husbands should have right to seek maintenance from their wives, both during marriage and after the divorce. Examples of such situations include cases where the husband is sick or incapacitated and has been dependent on his wife.”

The emphasis is of course, on “appropriate cases”. In implementing this and in drafting the actual provisions, legislators must be mindful that this change should not be abused to allow irresponsible husbands who have not pulled their weight either at work or at home to make use of the ammended provision to get maintenance for themselves – which was the concern raised by some family lawyers. After all, there are far fewer househusbands than housewives in Singapore today. Furthermore, it is rare to find cases where husbands have been so disadvantaged by their family arrangements that they cannot maintain themselves in a divorce.

Child Custody

As for the contentious issue of child custody, care and control, the Women’s Charter currently states very simply that the paramount consideration in determining custody of the child is “the welfare of the child”. In a society where women are, in the majority of cases, the main caregiver of the child, the Court will often take the view that “the welfare of the child” demands that custody be awarded to the mother. There may be some gender stereotyping at play, but the Women’s Charter is not to blame, wrongly defined gender roles are.

Equal Partnership

One of my favourite provisions in the Women’s Charter is Section 46. This states that “the husband and the wife shall be mutually bound to co-operate with each other in safeguarding the interests of the union and in caring and providing for the children” and that “the husband and the wife shall have equal rights in the running of the matrimonial household”.

Certainly, there’s no unfairness or biasness here. The Charter was well ahead of its time in supporting gender equality in the household. I look forward to the update of the Charter and hope that the Charter will be revised so that it is as progressive today as it was when it was first enacted.

Corinna Lim is AWARE’s Executive Director and before that practised law for more than 10 years. She played an integral role in the AWARE sub-committee providing feedback on the Women’s Charter (Ammendment) Bill.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. bro, no offence!
2. are you some screwball loose or what?
3. of course, the damn aware is one hopeless & one-sided thing for all guys.

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a cock article. It makes stupid assumptions and then argues based on these stupid assumptions. It goes on about nothing in particular and pretends to concede points. Instead of talking so much cock about equality, AWARE must first demonstrate their will to equality by fighting to make it compulsory for Sinkie females to serve NS.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Feminists are idiots, and gender equality is an oxymoron.

That is all that you need to know.

In feminism, men are nothing more than predators, competitors, oppressors and tormentors of women.

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feminists are idiots, and gender equality is an oxymoron.

That is all that you need to know.

In feminism, men are nothing more than predators, competitors, oppressors and tormentors of women.

I am inclined to believe that feminists secretly want to be men. They are unable to have something between the legs and must assuage the pain caused by this lack by trying to become men in other ways.

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
ask AWARE this, after one week, we still don't know who the mysterious IT woman is and how she looks like.

Is the Women’s Charter Unfair to Men? HELL YEA!

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
ask AWARE this, after one week, we still don't know who the mysterious IT woman is and how she looks like.

Is the Women’s Charter Unfair to Men? HELL YEA!

AWARE would probably reply that it's unaware who she is. :rolleyes:

I have no legal encounter with the Woman's Charter since I'm happily married, but to be fair and frank, it's outdated and outmoded. Men should be accorded protection too since this is the modern era in which both men and women have equal eductaional opportunities and economic powers.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
woman's charter is long outdated and modern women are making use of it to victimize man!!!

actually no need woman's charter, just have Human rights will do. man and woman the same.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you feel unfair and victimized then convert to Islam marry 4 wives and show AWARE the middle finger.

I'm happily married and happy with one wife. I'd rather show Islam the terrorist religion my middle finger. :oIo: I'll show all religions my middle fingers. :oIo::oIo:

Last edited:

Raynall

Alfrescian
Loyal
There can be NO gender equality in Singapore if only men have to serve the compulsory 2 year National Service! :(

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
definitely, rename that bloody thing to Family Charter...its like asking if Gentlemen's Club is being unfair to women.

and with women earning more than men, its high time that husband can seek maintenance from wife in divorce or at least, remove the mandatory right for wife to seek alimony (even at token sum of $1)

i don't see why the need for child to take the father's surname. heck, make it possible to take mother's surname as well. At the end of day, its a name and with many people taking english name...the surname becomes faded.

Who cares its Dick Tan or Dick Chan?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.aware.org.sg/2010/11/womens-charter-unfair-to-men/

Is the Women’s Charter Unfair to Men?

In my experience as a lawyer, there are three main reasons that some men think the Women’s Charter puts them at a disadvantage. First there’s the name. Clearly a statute named “The Women’s Charter” must be about protecting women and be for their benefit, no?

Secondly, it’s to do with maintenance.
The Charter provides that only wives may seek maintenance from their husbands, and not the other way around.

Thirdly, there’s the custody debate. Many male divorcees claim (incorrectly, as I will later point out) that the Women’s Charter denies them the right to keep their children, and that because of the Charter, custody battles will almost always end in the mothers’ favour.

While I can understand why people think that the Women’s Charter is anti-male, this is really is a misconception. While some of the provisions are a little out of date, the Women’s Charter is NOT anti-male. The current exercise to update the Charter comes at a good time and we should use this opportunity to remove this misconception.

The Name

Part of the perceived imbalance is that there’s no Men’s Charter. The fact is that the Women’s Charter, passed in 1961, was borne out of a need to protect the rights of women. The regime prior to the Women’s Charter was extremely unfair to women. Men could legally take several wives. Women did not have the right to keep their maiden names and it was not clear if they could even own property. In the historical context, the Women’s Charter was an appropriate name in the ’60s as it provided women with some fundamental rights that women today take for granted but which were not available before the Charter.

However, the content of the Women’s Charter is not just about protecting women and conferring them with one-sided rights. The Charter essentially covers every conceivable aspect of marital and family law, from registration and dissolution of marriages, division of matrimonial assets, to maintenance provisions and the welfare of children.

So, really, the more appropriate name for this Act is the Family Charter.

This is why AWARE has recommended, in its Feedback on the Women’s Charter (Amendment) Bill to the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) that it should change the name of the Act to the Family Charter. This will go some way towards removing the widely held misconception that the Charter only protects women.

Maintenance

Today, under the Womens’ Charter, only women are entitled to seek maintenance from their spouse. Yes, this does seem somewhat unfair and outmoded since, unlike 50 years ago when the Charter was passed, many women work full-time and there are wives who earn more than their husbands.

AWARE believes that the Women’s Charter should be updated to reflect the changes in society and to promote a more gender neutral approach to marriage. In AWARE’s feedback on the proposed amendments to the Women’s Charter:

“AWARE recommends that the Women’s Charter be amended to provide that in appropriate cases, where it is just and equitable, husbands should have right to seek maintenance from their wives, both during marriage and after the divorce. Examples of such situations include cases where the husband is sick or incapacitated and has been dependent on his wife.”

The emphasis is of course, on “appropriate cases”. In implementing this and in drafting the actual provisions, legislators must be mindful that this change should not be abused to allow irresponsible husbands who have not pulled their weight either at work or at home to make use of the ammended provision to get maintenance for themselves – which was the concern raised by some family lawyers. After all, there are far fewer househusbands than housewives in Singapore today. Furthermore, it is rare to find cases where husbands have been so disadvantaged by their family arrangements that they cannot maintain themselves in a divorce.

Child Custody

As for the contentious issue of child custody, care and control, the Women’s Charter currently states very simply that the paramount consideration in determining custody of the child is “the welfare of the child”. In a society where women are, in the majority of cases, the main caregiver of the child, the Court will often take the view that “the welfare of the child” demands that custody be awarded to the mother. There may be some gender stereotyping at play, but the Women’s Charter is not to blame, wrongly defined gender roles are.

Equal Partnership

One of my favourite provisions in the Women’s Charter is Section 46. This states that “the husband and the wife shall be mutually bound to co-operate with each other in safeguarding the interests of the union and in caring and providing for the children” and that “the husband and the wife shall have equal rights in the running of the matrimonial household”.

Certainly, there’s no unfairness or biasness here. The Charter was well ahead of its time in supporting gender equality in the household. I look forward to the update of the Charter and hope that the Charter will be revised so that it is as progressive today as it was when it was first enacted.

Corinna Lim is AWARE’s Executive Director and before that practised law for more than 10 years. She played an integral role in the AWARE sub-committee providing feedback on the Women’s Charter (Ammendment) Bill.

What a biased article, written by a women,,I believe that society in singapore went down hill bcos of stupid outdated laws that favour one gender over the other....And since its written by a women, sure women will say its fair and what rubbish does she mean by 'ahead of its time'? From a men's perspective surely its unfair. In summary, this article is rubbish.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Frens,

the Women's charter was introduced by LKY right? So all along, LKY is a hen pecked husband? No wonder LHL is soo guniang

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There can be NO gender equality in Singapore if only men have to serve the compulsory 2 year National Service! :(

Equality in feminist terms is 'pick-and-choose' equality. Equal rights without equal responsibilities.

Obviously, in Singapore it pertains to NS, but it also is related to jobs. You'll never hear feminists lobby for more female representation in dirty and dangerous jobs.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Equality in feminist terms is 'pick-and-choose' equality. Equal rights without equal responsibilities.

Obviously, in Singapore it pertains to NS, but it also is related to jobs. You'll never hear feminists lobby for more female representation in dirty and dangerous jobs.

Yes, women should lobby to do NS..that is fair..like in Israel...and i heard women in the IDF change tank tracks...serve in front lines etc....same as the men,....also many of them are Hot,,,,in terms of looks lah

Last edited: