• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are Cleaner Jobs the BEST PAID Govt Can Offer?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Boost service sector rather than cleaning industry
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I READ with interest Thursday's report, 'Government boosts cleaning sector'. While I am pleased there has been a lot of initiative by the Government to give incentives to companies to hire Singaporeans, I question whether boosting this sector is a good idea.
After all, is the cleaning sector one that our increasingly affluent society is looking at? Since the 1980s, the number of Singaporeans with technical certificates, A levels, diplomas and degrees has risen steadily. Surely these positive statistics show that Singaporeans are overqualified to work as cleaners? No disrespect to those who work in this sector, but it usually attracts foreign labour, senior citizens and those seeking temporary employment.
Also, rather than spend time and effort on getting companies to hire Singaporeans in this sector, the Government should boost the service sector. It is foolish that to save costs, companies hire foreign workers who speak little or no English and make them front-line staff, when there are more than enough Singaporeans who speak good English.
Muhammad Arief Aditya

<!-- end of for each --><!-- Current Ratings : start --><!-- Current Ratings : end --><!-- vbbintegration : start -->