• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Apple lets Snow Leopard out of the bag

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=452><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Published August 27, 2009
c.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Apple lets Snow Leopard out of the bag

By ONG BOON KIAT
<TABLE class=storyLinks border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width=136 align=right><TBODY><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Email this article</TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Print article </TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Feedback</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
FASTER and leaner than its predecessor, Apple's latest computer operating system (OS) Snow Leopard will go on sale here tomorrow.

<TABLE class=picBoxL cellSpacing=2 width=100 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=caption><TD>Toothy: Snow Leopard is not only faster but also leaner, freeing up to 7GB of storage when installed</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Users of the Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard in Singapore can upgrade to the new version for $48 for a single user licence. They can also upgrade to a single-household family pack, which has five-user licences, for $78.
Users with older Intel- based Macs running on the Tiger operating system will need to fork out $268 to get a box set offering that includes the new OS and the iLife '09 and iWork '09 application suites. A family pack box set costs $369.
Apple's Singapore online store at store.apple. com/sg is taking orders.
Owners of Mac systems bought between June 8 and Dec 26 this year will be eligible for an upgrade package for $18.
Snow Leopard, which precedes the launch of Microsoft Corp's next operating system Windows 7 by two months, is said to run faster than the previous version. It is also leaner, freeing up to 7GB of storage when installed.
The new version includes built-in support for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, a feature that should appeal to corporate users.
This means Mac users will be able to use Apple's applications to access Exchange services such as e-mail, calendar and contacts.
Snow Leopard needs at least 1GB of RAM and is designed to run on any Mac computer with an Intel processor.
Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard will also go on sale tomorrow at $788 with unlimited client licences.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

angie

Alfrescian
Loyal

<table class="picBoxL" align="left" cellspacing="2" width="100"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

BT_IMAGES_BKAPPLE27.jpg

"Grrrr... Kwa simi lanjiao? Stick to your Winshit!"

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i heard it is more buggy than vista
watch this space for many complains soon after release

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i heard it is more buggy than vista
watch this space for many complains soon after release

How can that be :eek:

Even MS fans have to agree that Vista stinks :biggrin:

In any new Software release there's bound to be bugs. I would wait for the updates that will follow to fix any bugs that are found. :smile:

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can that be :eek:

Even MS fans have to agree that Vista stinks :biggrin:

In any new Software release there's bound to be bugs. I would wait for the updates that will follow to fix any bugs that are found. :smile:

not only MS fans, even the top guys in MS also agree. The last time i spoke to 1 of them in Seattle, he told me: "vista is something we are trying to forget."
From this sentence I already know how bad it is.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not only MS fans, even the top guys in MS also agree. The last time i spoke to 1 of them in Seattle, he told me: "vista is something we are trying to forget."
From this sentence I already know how bad it is.

Heard that many MS employees are using Macs, :smile:

Theres even a "I hate MS" site which is popular with MS employees & ex-employees :biggrin:

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
If can run on PC I don't mind to pay $48 even if US$48.

There are too many Linux that can completely replace MS out here.

Then there are OpenSolaris & the coming Google OS.

PC & laptop vendors are still HARD-BUNDLING their machines with MS. They should be STOPPED. If we are not under famiLEE LEEgime, a collective consumer suit should had been taken up to prevent computers be made only available bundled with MS. Every brand and model should be made available WITHOUT MS or preloaded with other OS.

It is wrong and unfair for computer vendors to automatically become MS sales agents.

Unless in the future the VM technology comes onto motherboard directly, that each board has 32/64GB of flash, and instead of just BIOS, adds their native OS & drivers & VM layer. Then the makers warranty them altogether and ensure that any Virtual Machine can be just copied in and run without setup / installation / hardware driver change. That will really be the NEXT LEVEL for computing.

I.e. when that happens Any Computer can run any Mac / MS / Unix / Linux / BSD / DOS any time. Anything can run on anywhere only limited by capacities (CPU strength; RAM size; Disk capacity), from handphone to giant rack mounted servers, there is no platform boundary any more. :rolleyes::cool:

Currently OSs are fixed on certain hardware platform, not every machine can use the same OS. So PCs can not directly run Mac OS still, unless converted from the Source Level.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The reason I'm attracted to Snow Leopard is the potential for improved efficiency & speed. It'll of course take time for software companies to release optimised software but Apple has set the necessary foundation.

Companies like microsoft is notorious for putting out bloatware. However I heard that the upcoming Win 7 is based on Linux :confused: So maybe there's still some hope for Win users :smile:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8224517.stm

Apple unleashes Snow Leopard OS
Apple Snow Leopard
The look of Snow Leopard will be familiar to Mac users

The latest update of the Apple Mac operating system OS X, known as Snow Leopard, goes on sale on Friday.

The software - available only as a DVD, not a download - was originally due to hit shops in September but Apple brought it forward at the last minute.

The system will go head-to-head with Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 7, due for release in October.

Both will also compete with a system from Google, called Chrome OS, set for release in the second half of 2010.

Whilst both Google and Microsoft will offer entirely new operating systems, Snow Leopard is a refinement to its predecessor Leopard.

Graham Barlow, editor of MacFormat Magazine, said the update "streamlines performance"

"[It] doesn't add that many more features to the previous incarnation of OS X," he said.

The update will retail at £25 in the UK ($29 in US) for Mac users who run Leopard.

Snow Leopard

A quick tour around Snow Leopard

Apple recommends that owners of older Intel-based Macs that are running the older Tiger OS, should purchase an upgrade which costs £129 ($169 in the US).

The package comes bundled with various other pieces of software, such as iWork, Apple's Microsoft Office competitor.

However, initial reports suggest that Tiger users can upgrade using the cheaper package.

Apple says that its engineers have "refined 90% of the more than 1,000 projects" that make up the operating system.

Many of these changes are hidden deep inside the software's code and are aimed at making the system smaller, faster and more responsiv
e.

The firm claim that users who install the update will free around 7GB of hard drive space on average because of the stripped-down code.
Operatign system insatlled base graphic

Applications should load faster and the machine should also boot up more quickly.

Tweaks will also make it easier for third-party developers to take advantage of the Mac hardware.

However, the system does have some new features.

For example, it is the first operating system to come with inbuilt support for Microsoft Exchange Server, popular email and calendar services used by many companies.

The system will also ships with a new version of the Quicktime player, which will allow users to record and trim their own movies.

Reports also suggest that the ships with anti-virus software for the first time.

"It's a sign of the times that anti-malware features are appearing in OS X," said Mr Barlow.

"The protection built into Snow Leopard appears to be very basic, but since Macs aren't under the same threat from the thousands of viruses that affect PCs, it doesn't need to be particularly advanced.

"It remains to be seen how often Apple will update the malware definitions, and it's not yet clear whether this is a technology Apple has developed itself or whether it's using information from a third party."

Apple's operating system is currently installed in around 3% of personal computers, according to analyst firm Gartner.

Microsoft still commands the market with 95% of machines running a version of Windows.

The open source software Linux trails both, with around 2% of the market.

A review of Snow Leopard will be published on the BBC News website on Monday.