• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another Successful Rally By SDP

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Another Successful Rally By SDP</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>Rowbox <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Nov-13 10:47 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 17) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>41171.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>
But before that, here's some breaking news: "Dr James Gomes, who helms the relatively new non-governmental organization Singaporeans For Democracy (SFD) and a candidate with the Workers’ Party in the last elections, disclosed that he had signed up as an SDP member on Saturday."
Please clink on the link to view the pictures.
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/11/sdp-unveils-economic-programme-for-singapore/
SDP unveil economic programme for Singapore

Posted by theonlinecitizen on November 14, 2010 2 Comments
<!--end: postmeta-->
In its second pre-election rally at Speakers’ Corner on Saturday, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) unveiled its economic strategy for Singapore, one which apparently the party will be campaigning on during the upcoming General Election. In a 47-page publication titled, “It’s About You”, the party laid out its alternatives to the Government’s economic policies.
SDP secretary-general, Dr Chee Soon Juan, hailed his party’s programme as a credible one which they had consulted academics and economists on.
“We put forward an alternative economic model that is fundamentally different from that practiced by the PAP,” the introduction to the publication says. “[It] is an alternative that is both realistic and workable for our economy.”
“This publication will demonstrate once and for all that the PAP does not have a monopoly of ideas for Singapore, including economic ones,” the SDP says.
The party addresses issues such as GDP growth, productivity, income inequality, dependence on GLCs and MNCs, retirement, employment policies, public housing and healthcare, among others.
[TOC will have a more in-depth report and review of the SDP’s recommendations at a later date.]
At Saturday’s event, speakers spoke on a variety of issues – including the large number of foreigners here, costs of public housing, and Singapore’s future.
One who impressed with his eloquence and delivery was sociologist, Dr Vincent Wijeysingha. In an impassioned speech, Dr Vincent decried what Singapore has become – a home which no longer feels like home because of the PAP’s policies. He pinpointed as one of the contributing factors as the large number of foreign workers here. “The SDP is not against foreigners,” Dr Vincent emphasised. The SDP has always stood for the rights of workers, whether they are local or foreign, he explained. What the party wants to see is fair treatment of locals, particularly when it comes to employment opportunities and wages.
Dr Chee, in a defiant mood, spoke of how the PAP Government has, over the last 20 years, vilified him. While acknowledging that this has resulted in him not being able to stand in the next elections, he said he was happy that more people have joined the party. This despite the demonization of not only Dr Chee but also of the party as a whole.
Dr James Gomes, who helms the relatively new non-governmental organization Singaporeans For Democracy (SFD) and a candidate with the Workers’ Party in the last elections, disclosed that he had signed up as an SDP member on Saturday.
The rally event was very well-organised, with tents set up and even food and refreshments provided for the public. The national flag and the SDP’s party flags were planted along the green of Hong Lim Park. The event felt like a carnival more than a political rally, with popular music played during breaks. Speakers stuck to the time allocated to them and the event ended at exactly the stipulated time indicated in its programme sheet for the day.
About 350-400 people turned up for the 4-hour event which started at 4pm.
Here are some pictures of the rally by Joshua Chiang:

<!-- Begin SexyBookmarks Menu Code -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot> </TD><TD colSpan=3> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
wat abt NSP? as usual visiting massage parlour during the weekend...their leader Cpt Goh Meng Seng is too busy surfing sggirsl.com to do any public outreach in Tampines....:mad::oIo:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All the better when SG is filled with rich commies that can afford 30mil in briefcases of cash for Sentosa Cove homes.

the thing about SDP is the red colour. reminds me of communism lol

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Love or loathe them, SDP's marketing is top notch especially with that report on its new economic vision. TOC will have a respond to that vision and we shall see what they say.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
Love or loathe them, SDP's marketing is top notch especially with that report on its new economic vision. TOC will have a respond to that vision and we shall see what they say.

I dont consider this good marketing. You could attacrt onlookers but when your substances is empty, no one will be buying your product and hence, marketing failed.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think all the opposition parties could do with with alot more marketing. SDP is certainly ahead in this area. SDP might be lost in the crafting of it's
political model but our opposition parties who have a decent model could do with a little bit more votes.

I dont consider this good marketing. You could attacrt onlookers but when your substances is empty, no one will be buying your product and hence, marketing failed.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think all the opposition parties could do with with alot more marketing. SDP is certainly ahead in this area. SDP might be lost in the crafting of it's
political model but our opposition parties who have a decent model could do with a little bit more votes.

i m an advocate of grassroot and groundwork. All these marketing is useless on people who already have an idea what is happening, what they wnat and how things can happen. Such marketing "advertisment" is just an "invite to treat" and yet with no actual assurance and personal contact and touches, and on top of lack of actual display of planning, its just a hallow shell that attracts no one.

We are talking about winning votes, not attracting attention. Unless SDP's real intention is to show those international NGOs thair activioties and to attract international recognision and donations, none of these "marketing" will win them votes.

and if SDP is not here to win votes, I dont see any reason for any Singaporean to support them since SDP wont be bring in any form of changes at all.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think the old style of grassroots work alone is sufficient. Many people now keep away from grassroots organisations after it was politicised in 1980 with the introduction of RCs and the control by PA. further compounded when PAP refused to acknowledge JBJ win and handed the grassroots to rejected MP candidates.

The Sear episode is a trivial and yet quiet telling. This guy could not even pass his probation as a clerk in the civil service but now a solid grassroots leader.

SDP might have gone overboard but it does get attention. And to the young, it makes a difference. Take Vincent's address, it quite gold and the local press will never give it the due attention.

i m an advocate of grassroot and groundwork. All these marketing is useless on people who already have an idea what is happening, what they wnat and how things can happen. Such marketing "advertisment" is just an "invite to treat" and yet with no actual assurance and personal contact and touches, and on top of lack of actual display of planning, its just a hallow shell that attracts no one.

We are talking about winning votes, not attracting attention. Unless SDP's real intention is to show those international NGOs thair activioties and to attract international recognision and donations, none of these "marketing" will win them votes.

and if SDP is not here to win votes, I dont see any reason for any Singaporean to support them since SDP wont be bring in any form of changes at all.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The way I see it, SDP is in fact doing everything from grassroots to the internet outreach. Their groundwork has increased a lot in recent months.

It is the job of politicians to grab attention. Ask Goh meng seng. He's the biggest believer in that. I see the recent hong lim park events as very good attention. The young like what they see. Many of them are just "keyboard critics" like you and I who can't be bothered if someone in party clothing is selling newspapers at the hawker centre. But they see a good display at hong lim park, at facebook and youtube and they are impressed. That is what counts.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

For the opposition in Singapore, it's not the marketing that would get the fence-sitting voters or votes. The marketing attracts the *converted* to do more than just being a voter and take one more step to become a member/candidate, and the more candidates/members coming on board means the more manpower the party has to reach out to these fence-sitting voters/votes.

Else, how can you explain how the SDP grew as big as parties with more votes and seats/more seats in Parliament? The SDP's reputation has been irrepairrably damaged, otherwise the marketing would have paid off but as of now, they are already expanding and growing very well for a party that scores 20% election after election. I wouldn't write them off.

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP today different from last time. Maybe they will be rewarded this election.

James Gomez is questionable but if Monash University sees fit to hire him as dean, then why should SDP not accept him, unless Monash is questionable itself.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

James Gomez is questionable but if Monash University sees fit to hire him as dean, then why should SDP not accept him, unless Monash is questionable itself.

Dean? I don't think so. Also, shouldn't be any connection between SDP and Monash. SDP accepts almost everybody.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Monash University has a history of recruiting rebels or noise markers. Leon Comber is another with no formal qualification. There is a muslim fundamentalist in the lot as well. Monash has a long history and association with ASIO which was previously had its HQ in Melbourne. The theory has been that they have been giving tenures to politically sensitive persons for sometime to keep an eye on what is going on on behalf of them and the friendly allies.

If James was hired by ANU, I will die of shock. When Chin Peng was de-briefed it was done in ANU because all the parties agreed that it was neutral and best recognised.

Let me know if you like to know more about the real world.

ps. Google Waleed Aly or better still, read his book. He is what is called a honeypot as in bees to honey.

misbob

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way I see it, SDP is in fact doing everything from grassroots to the internet outreach. Their groundwork has increased a lot in recent months.

It is the job of politicians to grab attention. Ask Goh meng seng. He's the biggest believer in that. I see the recent hong lim park events as very good attention. The young like what they see. Many of them are just "keyboard critics" like you and I who can't be bothered if someone in party clothing is selling newspapers at the hawker centre. But they see a good display at hong lim park, at facebook and youtube and they are impressed. That is what counts.

which party does jaslyn go representing? USD or SDP? this is all about SDP and not about YOU. it's about them, SDP. should mrs chee be talking instead of this dubious lamei of the lawyer bashing husband famed? mrs chee should be able to speak more impeccable chinese since she is taiwanese. she belongs to SDP. so which party does jaslyn belong to?

i m surprised why gomez party hops from WP to SDP. WP is an established brand name that won a ward. SDP on the other hand has won not only nothing and persistently gets the lowest votes.

i don't see much substance in sdp beside improved marketing packaging which doesn't hold much water.
has gomez been brain washed by chee?

Green Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP's Second Rally had lesser Crowd Turnout!
by Patrick Lee Song Juan on Monday, November 15, 2010 at 5:51am

Huge flags flew high and mighty...but where was the crowd?? Compared to the first Rally last month, it was so dismal!

The crowd was so dissipated. Isolated groups form here and there. The atmosphere was nothing like the last rally. I attended both rallies.

I took it as an experience to attend rallies...even election rallies of the past with charged sentiments and emotions.

But today on (13.11.2010), I was really taken aback when a young kid of maybe 16 or 17 years old when up to the stage and spoke. He seems precocious for his age though small in size. He is non other than Kenneth Lin. I did not pay attention to his speech but my personal opinion is: he should not even standing up there! Why groom a kid at this age to be involved in politics. He is still in JC. The contents of his speech you all can listen when SDP posts on their website or Facebook. What platform or political direction is SDP trying to bring forth to the discerning public? Politics is not child-play or flim-flam. PAP may be feeling amused.

The last rally before Vincent Cheng (VC) went up to speak, I had a word with him and with 'unreserved frankness' I told him does it serve any purpose even if he let the whole of S'pore know he was jailed under ISA. Can he turn back the clock ? Or can he bring the government or PAP to court that jailed him for those donkey years? VC was adamant and went up to deliver his 'sermon'. It became the 'counter-force' that may have back-fired. Hence today's rally many shy away not to be seen as supporting a political 'dissident'. The fear factor!! So the crowd was in much lesser numbers.

I lay a bet if SDP is to organise a third rally some other time....the thinning of the crowd may be even worse. Many may think what is on SDP's sleeves the next time?...going to let a 5 year old toddler to rattle his piece about how bad the PAP is? What can a five year old know apart from sing 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' !! and there goes masak-masak politics !! This is just a hypothetical scenario...not for real right?? But why a kid of 17 years talking on stage about politics???

Is that what SDP is projecting into the minds of Singaporeans the politics of "uncertainty?" No more confrontational politics !! but a new beginning of political change into tender innocent age politics !!??