• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ang Moh expat: Chow Yun Fat's 'mum' welcomed me

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,199817,00.html?

STREET TALK
Ang Moh expat: Chow Yun Fat's 'mum' welcomed me
By Jason Johnson

April 24, 2009

IT all started with a dream.

For a year, I had been living and working in Singapore - hating every minute of it. The heat, the politics, the heat, the rudeness, the heat, the heat.

But then I had a dream about Chow Yun Fat introducing me to his mother, and after that, everything seemed somehow all right.

I'm not one to place much stock in dream analysis, but this dream became somehow important to me.

It felt as if, after a year of hard work trying to fit into a foreign culture, my favourite Chinese actor was finally telling me, in a word, to chill.

The dream made me feel welcomed. It was a psychological breakthrough. An epiphany.

(Chow may not be Singaporean, but his wife is, so just work with me here.)

I think the fact that Chow was introducing me to his mum was the key to the whole thing. It felt like I was being asked to look beyond superficial things.

People talk funny. Who cares? Waiters are rude. Who cares? There's no freedom of speech. Who... Okay, let's not go there.

The thing is, most of the things that drove me crazy about Singapore, and still do at times, are things that don't matter much.

When you look at the things that really do matter, as I was reminded to do after I met Chow's mum, this is where Singapore shines.

Strong families. A rigorous social safety net. Relative racial harmony. Prosperity. Relative equality. Cultural richness. Low crime.

You know the drill.

To criticise Singaporeans for 'talking funny' when there are places in the world where war, genocide and poverty are the norm seems naive at best, and insane at worst.

I've always been grateful to 'Dream Chow' for introducing me to his 'Dream Mum'.

Since that time, I've gone on to start my own Singapore family, and watching my kids interact with their Singaporean mother has given me no end of joy.

I would advise anyone visiting Singapore to have their own little Singapore dream.

It doesn't have to be about Chow Yun Fat. I've heard Fiona Xie is a popular choice.

The writer is a Canadian expat married to a Singaporean Chinese marketing executive. He will be reviewing movies with the new FiRST magazine, a free weekly pullout in The New Paper from 7 May.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chow Yun Fat's invested in the movie dragon ball - have suffer losses, since the movie bombs.

he must not be a happy bunny now.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This ang moh says the same things that some assholes here use as racism here.

It's nothing important like auntie dun smile at them or calling them names like ah neh or keling. These fuckers make a damn big deal out of it like they are being enslaved.