• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

American Apuneh bitch living in S'pore compare haze to gun violence in the US

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
THese fucking expats are too much, if they don't like the haze, they can fuck off home. Can't believe WSJ publishes this shit from her. She is here as a guest of this country. Its not her god given right to live here. Want to complain, then fuck off.

Guns at Home or Air Pollution Abroad: An Expat Ponders Her Options

I’m an American citizen who has been living abroad since 2007 – seven years in China, six months in Indonesia and now in Singapore. My husband and I left New York for better job opportunities, and look forward to the day we return.

But each time we’ve sat down to consider when is the right time, our decision has mainly boiled down to this: Which location is safest for our young family? Stated another way, which do we feel is more dangerous: Asia’s air pollution or America’s gun problem?

On the surface, this may seem an apples-to-oranges comparison. Statistically, air pollution is more dangerous, according to researchers at Berkeley Earth, a nonprofit organization that researches climate science. Last year China’s former Health Minister, Chen Zhu, put the cost of air pollution at 350,000 to 500,000 lives a year, or 0.03% to 0.04% of the population. In Indonesia, forests are routinely torched to clear land for palm oil plantations and other planting. The smoke causes a terrible haze that stretches to Singapore and other parts of Southeast Asia. On the other hand, the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive shows guns hurt only 0.02% of American’s population a year.

But both threats feel equally real and able to affect my family. This is in part because gun violence in America is rising, alarmingly. According to Mass Shooting Tracker, there have been 994 mass shootings since 2013–or almost one a day. Another study by the Center for American Progress, which uses Centers for Disease Control data, predicts guns will kill more Americans under 25 this year than cars. FBI background-check data show 2015 is a record-setting year for gun sales.

Also, both are indiscriminate killers. Air pollution in Asia and guns in America can affect everyone, irrespective of address, race or income. They’re out of our control, rob us of our peace of mind and have no signs of ending any time soon.

For now, I choose Asia. Here are three reasons why:

1. Air pollution is something I can fight against. Guns aren’t.

Air pollution is almost everywhere in Asia. Most countries in the region update their air particle readings online every hour. I often know the air quality reading before I know the weather. While this information is worrying, it helps me to prepare. I can decide how much time my children should spend outside. I can use air masks, air filters and allergy medicines to fight the toxins. I know this is no guarantee of safety, but I don’t feel powerless against the problem.

What can I do to protect my children against guns when they’re in America? There’s no way to gauge which day is more dangerous than another. I can’t load an app to help me decide when to suit them in bulletproof gear. I can’t give them a pill that will protect them from gunshot wounds. All I can do is teach them how to duck and call 911, which doesn’t feel like enough.

2. I understand why air pollution exists in Asia. I don’t understand why tighter gun regulations in America don’t.

Air pollution is a tried and tested stage of every country’s development. In the 1950s in England, London’s air was so black, the particles looked like snow hanging in the air. Los Angeles in the ’70s was famous for its brown smog.

History tells us air pollution’s life cycle is predictable. Poor countries want to develop quickly to increase prosperity and lift living standards. Companies cut environmental corners until emissions problems become so big and intolerable that governments start introducing more expensive regulation. Sadly, all of human kind has put economic prosperity first and environmental protection second.

However, there’s no similar pattern to guns or gun control. If anything, more developed countries are safer and the people there are in less need of personal guns. Yet America has more guns per capita than any other nation on earth—by a long shot.

Why do so many people in the U.S. feel the need to own so many firearms when no other nation on earth shares the same logic? I can’t understand it, which makes guns and the violence they cause feel that much more unpredictable and scary than air pollution

3. Asia’s leaders are fighting their air pollution problem. America’s aren’t.

After much debate and outrage, Asia’s leaders are finally working to clean up the air. Last year, China declared a war on air pollution. Official data shows the levels of fine-particle matter damaging to human health – known as PM2.5 – fell more than 15% in the first half of 2015. In 2014, Indonesia became the 10th country to ratify the Asean Agreement on Transboundary Haze Pollution. These countries still have far to go, but they’re doing something.

In the U.S., leaders have many choices to improve the situation; they don’t have to eliminate guns altogether to make America safer. Public opinion is overwhelmingly in favor of change too. According to the Pew Research Center, 85% of Americans currently support expanded background checks for people who want a gun. Yet in Washington, the passage of real gun control legislation remains blocked by competing political interests, so much so that President Obama is exploring ways to move forward without congressional approval.

This is what saddens me the most. I grew up in a country whose safety and security I took for granted. My childhood America would never tolerate for so long the loss of so many innocent lives. I deeply want that America back so someday I can return home to it.

Rashmi J. Dalai is a Singapore-based freelance writer who just completed a seven-year stint in Shanghai. She blogs at Rashmi Jolly Dalai.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
shit skinned bitch. Why does she travel to chinese/east asian nations? Stay in your shit hole. It must suck to have to leave NYC to look for better job opportunities elsewhere.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fuck off back to your dungbrick hut, shitskin.

Statistically she has a higher chance of being raped in India than getting shot in US or lung cancer in Singapore.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
The chances of breathing in haze in Singapore is much higher than getting shot in America!

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
THese fucking expats are too much, if they don't like the haze, they can fuck off home. Can't believe WSJ publishes this shit from her. She is here as a guest of this country. Its not her god given right to live here. Want to complain, then fuck off.

For now, I choose Asia. Here are three reasons why:

1. Air pollution is something I can fight against. Guns aren’t.

2. I understand why air pollution exists in Asia. I don’t understand why tighter gun regulations in America don’t.

3. Asia’s leaders are fighting their air pollution problem. America’s aren’t.

FYI, she's complaining about america. Just wondering which part of the article you don't understand?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
FYI, she's complaining about america. Just wondering which part of the article you don't understand?

She is delusional, she can fight against air pollution meh? If so why still got haze? She should suck up all the haze with her big mouth.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

there's a 3rd choice for her. she can choose to go back to india and get gang raped. i'm sure if she can fight the haze she can fuck that, oops, i mean fight that too.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
...Which location is safest for our young family? Stated another way, which do we feel is more dangerous: Asia’s air pollution or America’s gun problem?

Her choice is relatively simple ... USA tak boleh... sinkie land also tak boleh...so, it is better to head back home to slum land in India.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
shit skinned bitch. Why does she travel to chinese/east asian nations? Stay in your shit hole. It must suck to have to leave NYC to look for better job opportunities elsewhere.

She is a reject in USA, no job, no future and so, she came to the land of foreign rejects. The Indo is now helping sinkie land to chase away such foreign rejects by smoking them away.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
She is delusional, she can fight against air pollution meh? If so why still got haze? She should suck up all the haze with her big mouth.

She wants pappies to give her super treatment because she is foreigner by putting her in underground aircon shelter. She forgets when in Rome do as the Romans do ... tolerate the haze or fuck off to where she came from.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shes arguing against gun laws in america nothing wrong.

Yankees live by the guns, they will die by the guns. No gun laws can change this fact. It is just a matter of when to get shot. This bitch knows it and she cannot find a safe country to live in except sinkie land, the country that welcomes foreign rejects.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yankees live by the guns, they will die by the guns. No gun laws can change this fact. It is just a matter of when to get shot. This bitch knows it and she cannot find a safe country to live in except sinkie land, the country that welcomes foreign rejects.

Then the cheebye should not complain about the fucking haze right? She don't like the haze, she can go to japan................oh wait, they will never give her a work visa. Not even to clean toilets.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
She is a reject in USA, no job, no future and so, she came to the land of foreign rejects. The Indo is now helping sinkie land to chase away such foreign rejects by smoking them away.

Lets give Joko 1 year supply of Newater as a reward

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Some comments on this article

Tim S wrote:

The writer has obviously succumbed to paranoia and fear. 7 years abroad and away from home has skewed her perception of reality here at home. Thank you CNN.

2:45 am October 27, 2015
Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, that's just silly. With that kind of logic, don't buy a car.

3:56 am October 27, 2015
Meh wrote:

Air Pollution - You claim to care about it but you and your family no doubt leave a massive carbon footprint through extensive global travel. I guess you expect other people to change so you can have what you want?

Guns - America has high gun crime, but unless you are involved in gang territorial disputes over drug sales your chances of being a victim are very remote. Is this column just a way for you to give your two cents on gun control?

Ultimately, you are probably staying in Asia because of low taxes, affordability of domestic labor, and the overall easier life that results for educated people living in an area with so many poor people (yes, that includes Singapore).

4:38 am October 27, 2015
Anonymous wrote:

Stay in your fantasy world. You're obviously being brainwashed by the media.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Freedom and rights wrote:

You need to learn to relax and see things in perspective. As you said .02% suffer from gun violence. 99.9% of us will see no "gun violence" in their lives. Air polution affects almost EVERYONE. In America guns are mostly about the right to defend yourself. Thats the way of America!

6:34 am October 27, 2015
Anonymous wrote:

Gun ownership has gone up consistently since 1947. Then, it was 47 million guns and at the end of 2012, 347 million a 6 fold increase. I just wouldn't want to live in a society that thinks it needs to own a gun in every household because of some antiquated constitution written in 1787. That's just warped. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. Canada, Australia, Hong Kong or Northern Europe are options. Move on.

6:53 am October 27, 2015
Mike wrote:

Stay in Asia. Problem solved. You are obviously too stupid to accept your own statistical proof on this matter which means you are a brainwashed partisan leftie and we do not need more of those in the USA. Too many stupid people walking around now, which drives the need for more guns.

7:22 am October 27, 2015
Marco wrote:

Go to Europe, where society comes before prosperity. Problem solved.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Crass Cash wrote:

Please don't come back. Anybody that stresses over the difference between 0.02% and 0.03% isn't wrapped too tight to begin with. 2/3 of the deaths from guns are from suicide and unless you're a drug dealer that number falls dramatically after that. I've lived in the USA for 35 and I've never even heard a gun shot outside of a gun range. Only one person that I've ever known of has died from a gun and that was a cousin who committed suicide before I was even born. Meanwhile I've had friends and family die of car accidents, drug overdoses, accidents, cancer, and even being hit by a school bus.

I did have one friend get shot in the face though. He was cheating with a cop's wife and tried to kill the cop in order for the wife to collect the life insurance money. So unless you're going to do that, you'll be ok.

9:21 am October 27, 2015
John Theodore wrote:

I'd say the question facing Rashmi is an easy one. She is a U.S. citizen, she says. Does she believe it's worth her time and effort to work for a better, safer and healthier America for herself and her family, or not?

11:02 am October 27, 2015
David wrote:

This article makes not sense. 1. There is only decision criteria: pollution v. guns. 2. When do I ever actually see a gun? Like, never. 3. Back when she was growing up kids owned bb guns all over the suburbs and high schools had rifle teams. geez I could go on.....

11:22 am October 27, 2015
Anonymous wrote:

The author does not understand the simple concept that armed people and environments are safer. All the shootings in the U.S. have been in places where guns are not allowed (theaters, universities, etc.), so shooters target these locales. Please think outside your liberal box!

12:24 pm October 27, 2015
OMG wrote:

Come on WSJ. It is getting to the point I will not even click on any of your articles.

This is incredibly stupid.

12:26 pm October 27, 2015
Anonymous wrote:

Gun violence is NOT rising in US. Declined in last 20 years. I would not want to live in USA but for different reasons. Many places in the world without air pollution also, don't need to be in Asia.