• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Ah Ma Bankrupted By Insurance Exclusion Clause! John Tan Leads Baliffs To Seize Weeping Ah Ma's Stuf

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
wb09-1.jpg

生一场“百万元大病”,老妇所住洋房的家具被查封,如今官司缠身,连带小儿子也一同陷入破产危机,禁不住慨叹“我不是偷也不是抢,我只是生病”

过去15年来,这名不愿具名的74岁阿嫲,都是和80岁的丈夫以及小儿子,同住位于明地迷亚路一带明远路一间独立式洋房。

就在昨午3时,洋房里的大部分家具已经遭到查封,再以拍卖的方式,转让给其他买家。

阿嫲受访时眼眶泛泪叙述,四年前的7月,她在伊丽莎白医院动了一场心脏绕道手术,不料病情反复,前后在加护病房和普通病房住了近三个月,直到出院那一天,才惊悉医药费已经累积高达65万元。

她指出,家人当时以为保险公司能够理赔全额医药费,所以让她继续在私人医院留医,没想到事后在进一步咨询之下,才发现原来保单上列有排除条款(exclusion clause),说明有关心脏和血管疾病所产生的医疗费用,都不在覆盖范围内。

“我在2011年曾将保险配套升级,原以为会有更好的保障,没想到大病一场之后,竟然发现医药费要自己还。”

为此,阿嫲试图通过仲裁的方式,与保险公司解决理赔金额的问题,但法庭却在去年5月宣布她败诉,不仅需要偿还自己这方的律师费,还需要帮对方还律师费,总数近30万元。

“医药费和律师费加起来就已经近百万元,我们败诉后,医院也开始向我们追讨未还清的费用,如今还得拍卖家具……我觉得很难过,因为我没有犯法,只是生病就引起这么多问题!”

两母子可能破产
阿嫲的小儿子胡明强(44岁,会计师)当年在母亲入院时,是以担保人的身份签名,因此目前他和母亲同样可能会面临破产。

他表示,父母年事已高,如今每天都为官司和债务担惊受怕,饱受精神压力,希望事情能够尽快解决。

一家人住独立式洋房,为何竟沦落到如此田地?

胡明强指出,母子俩接下来会面对的情况未明,但由于拍卖家具得来的款项并不足以偿还欠下的医药费,两人很有可能会面临破产。

被问及是否有意出售洋房,胡明强说:“房子是属于父亲的,我们终究还是希望能够有瓦遮头,而且父母多年来好不容易才存下一笔积蓄,眼见就要血本无归,两老都不知该如何是好。”

家具若被错误查封,持有人有权向法庭索回。

资深律师受询时表示,法庭在索偿时会冻结当事人的个人财物,包括银行户头和其他财产。

他说:“当查封官到家里查封家具时,很难判断家具真正的持有人是谁,就算只是租户,查封官也可根据地址上门查封家具。不过屋主和家具主人可以要求法庭解封,拿回自己的财物。”

一般上,家具被查封后会有大约14天到21天的期限,让第三方进行上诉,不过必须拿出证据如收据或保值卡证明自己才是有关家具的真正持有人。

至于查封房子,律师指当局一般上会先查明屋主身份,如果真的错误查封,那真正的屋主也可向法庭证明并要求解封。

许多人都有疑惑,当面对财务纠纷,甚至面临破产时,是否可以先把名下资产转名,借此保住财物。

律师指出,当一个人被宣判破产时,法庭是会追溯当事人过去五年的财产交易记录,这期间的资产转让可以被作废。

他说:“可能当事人在打官司时就猜到可能败诉面对破产,所以先把房子转名给家人,但只要是在被宣判破产的过去五年内转名,那也是无效的,法庭有权拿回这笔财产。”

好心律师同情老妇遭遇
好心律师同情老妇遭遇,准备出价3000元拍下部分物品再归还给老妇,不料最终却拍卖不成。

昨天到拍卖会现场的包括好心律师杨来福(33岁),他是老妇大儿子的朋友,家属曾委托他追讨保险赔偿。由于他曾是老妇的律师,不方便以他的名义拍卖物品,所以带了一名朋友前来。

他说:“老妇赔偿不了保险,如今家具还被查封,令人非常同情。我希望帮她拍卖部分物品,再归还给老妇,这样她至少能拿回一些物品。”

然而,人算不如天算,杨来福虽然已准备3000元现金,但到场后才发现全部物品是一次过以6900元拍卖出,结果他只能眼睁睁看着其他买家买走老妇物品。

尽管如此,杨来福的一片心意,大儿子表示已非常感激。

完整报道,请翻阅2017年11月9日的《联合晚报》。

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/singapore/story20171109-809671

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah, son is accountant and he doesn't know what is private medishield exclusion clause? Go and sue the insurance company some more. Fake accountant is it?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It was great fun humiliating the weeping sinkie pioneers and carting away their belongings in front of the camera. I hope they enjoy spending their few remaining years in poverty and bankruptcy.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They didn't go see the "do good, do together"???....whom did these people voted for?, even the PAP has "exclusion clause"...you must check..ha ha ha ha...they will tell you, they volunteered.

Insurance companies are well known sneaky bastards, you buy any from them, please check fine prints with huge magnifying glasses...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was looking at getting some insurance in Spore but finally decided against it.
The reason for this is because I don't trust the laws in Spore. How can I be sure that when I try to claim the insurance that these companies will honour the claim?

If I was in Canada, Australia,... etc, I or my dependants could take the insurance companies to an independent court system but I have my doubts about Spore a 3rd world country where you need connections to get things done.

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
No money, please don't go to a Private Hospital. B2 ward in a public hospital is good enough....... Buying insurance and not understanding the benefits (or lack of) is playing with fire.....

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was looking at getting some insurance in Spore but finally decided against it.
The reason for this is because I don't trust the laws in Spore. How can I be sure that when I try to claim the insurance that these companies will honour the claim?

If I was in Canada, Australia,... etc, I or my dependants could take the insurance companies to an independent court system but I have my doubts about Spore a 3rd world country where you need connections to get things done.

A fucking exclusion clause is a glaring red light in the insurance contract. You have 2 weeks to read through your insurance contract. If you aren't happy, you are always free to cancel it at no cost, usually. Most lazy sinkies just can't be bothered to read.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A fucking exclusion clause is a glaring red light in the insurance contract. You have 2 weeks to read through your insurance contract. If you aren't happy, you are always free to cancel it at no cost, usually. Most lazy sinkies just can't be bothered to read.

I would probably need a lawyer to go through all the leagalese in the contract & I can guarantee that companies in Spore have all kinds of loopholes which they can exercise to avoid paying.

Maybe this is why some of the passengers in the crashed SIA flight sued SIA in the US & not in Taiwan where the crash occured, or in Spore where the airline is based, They won an undisclosed sum of $$$ whereas I didn't hear the same of other passengers e.g. Singkies