• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Agustin Chai:People's Park isn't just overcrowded, it's Dickensian

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nightmare for local residents in People's Park Complex

AS A resident who has lived in Chinatown for more than 20 years, I would like to respond to last Friday's report, 'People's Park Complex... or hostel?', and Ms Beverly Lim's letter, 'Crowded illegal 'dorms' a concern amid flu threat' (May 4).
Both are extremely benevolent in calling People's Park Complex a 'hostel' and a 'dorm', because it is closer to a slum. It was mentioned that a 1,119 sq ft unit had at least seven rooms. Since each room is usually rented out to six people or more, there could be 42 to 50 occupants per unit. How many live in these places is hard to determine.

Unfortunately, the problem of overcrowding in People's Park Complex is not being eased. The frequent lift breakdowns are obviously due to serious overcrowding. Many residents who live here are often late for work or school whenever one lift breaks down, as the other two lifts are over-crowded and stop at every floor.

However, safety concerns remain the pressing issue here. My neighbour once half-joked that residents on higher floors would be helpless if a fire broke out, as the stairs would be jammed by the large numbers of foreign workers and other residents. The overcrowding and recurrent lift breakdowns would pose serious problems for residents and the authorities in the event of an emergency.

At the same time, residents are greatly disturbed by the sight of foreign workers who walk around their units improperly attired, and many foreign commercial sex workers who also live here.

I do not wish to discriminate against these foreign workers, but merely ask that the authorities do more to address the concerns of residents, and manage the problems to satisfy both guest workers and residents. The unabated security and safety concerns only increase anxiety among residents, which is hardly conducive to the cultivation of trust and respect needed for mutual tolerance and harmony.

The measures the management implemented a few years ago have not resolved the problem.

Overcrowding is exacerbated when some owners partition their units into many rooms to squeeze tenants in, and even hire two to three maids to run them. The authorities should step up their enforcement efforts in the complex.

I suggest that the authorities re-examine their processes with regard to the execution of enforcement operations in the complex as well. Recently, while in the lift, I heard some Chinese foreign workers telling one another about tip-offs on spot-checks in the building.

I hope the management of People's Park Complex will be receptive to residents' suggestions in tackling the problem. Without the management's cooperation, efforts by the authorities may well prove futile in the end.

Agustin Chai (Ms)

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
davidgrt.gif