• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ace Kindred Cheong: Elected opposition can be corrupt too

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Elected opposition can be corrupt too

AFTER reading yesterday's article, 'Opposition is best check against graft? MPs rebut Low's claim', I would like to say that it is the duty of the opposition to check against graft. However, what will happen if the opposition itself is corrupt or incompetent? If this happens, the Government would then need to waste time and resources checking this, rather than concentrating on the country and citizens' welfare.
Even though the People's Action Party (PAP) is not and cannot be perfect, it has done well to bring Singapore to where it is today. I also believe the PAP is the longest-serving political party in the world to lead a country democratically.

I believe the PAP is capable of checking itself and if anyone is found to be corrupt, he will be severely dealt with.

Ace Kindred Cheong

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
teh cheang wan is severely dealt with? or his assets?

peh yew kok or something.....

the ex-MPs in Jalan Besar GRC?

the one that leaks the economic data and now the finance minister i think,,,,

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
that's why chee soon juan is left to continue discrediting opp political wannabes through his nonsensical public antics. u see chee's pattern, u might be seeing the rest of the opp which make peasants lose faith.

furthermore, opp members have this typical behaviour of party hoppings. if they cannot make up their mind, how can they expect peasants to have faith in them?

chee is a liability and stymie that retards political maturity and its advancement.:mad:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ignore this Ace Kindred chap. He's been polishing balls since time immemorial. ST of cos merrily publishes all his sycophantic letters :mad:

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2hmhmiw.jpg

"Hi everyone, i am Ace Kindred Cheong. As you can see i am an entrepreneur
so do not judge me by my looks. Free drop by my shop ok?"

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best check is the people. Change the government every 2-3 terms, ensure no party gets absolute majority so that the Constitution cannot be changed on a whim, demand the setup of independent agencies that do not report to the ruling party. The last part is a little difficult as the PAP has been in power for too long and you will be hard-pressed to find people to head those agencies who can discharge their duties with political neutrality. One method could be to have the agencies headed by a board of representatives elected by their peers within their respective industries. The agencies will be funded by the government no matter which party is the ruling party. Abolition of the agencies would require a referendum.

I am prepared to accept slower progress in exchange for more individual freedom and protection.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This is really a NO BRAINER!

The fundamental reason of having a democratic system of CHECKS and BALANCES is basically because we believe that POWER Corrupts!

Opposition will check on ruling party and ruling party will check on opposition!

Alas! Our political mental age is still 3 years old!

Goh Meng Seng

Elected opposition can be corrupt too

AFTER reading yesterday's article, 'Opposition is best check against graft? MPs rebut Low's claim', I would like to say that it is the duty of the opposition to check against graft. However, what will happen if the opposition itself is corrupt or incompetent? If this happens, the Government would then need to waste time and resources checking this, rather than concentrating on the country and citizens' welfare.
Even though the People's Action Party (PAP) is not and cannot be perfect, it has done well to bring Singapore to where it is today. I also believe the PAP is the longest-serving political party in the world to lead a country democratically.

I believe the PAP is capable of checking itself and if anyone is found to be corrupt, he will be severely dealt with.

Ace Kindred Cheong

macky888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun know why ST likes to publish his letters so much, they dun always carry much substance.

This Ace Kindred Cheong is the same guy who wrote in and tell us he likes to watch the S Factor...