• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[froggy],
Your Canadian lobster looks good.
When it is on special, say about Cdn $9 or $10 a pound, I will buy it to steam or boil.
It happens a few times a year.
It was on sale in Feb 2020, and I bough one that was close to 2 pounds.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Social distancing in Thailand people queuing to buy cooked food home or delivery

sXRLWVT.jpg

7t0sOAX.jpg

ztLR84L.jpg

77ttK8G.jpg

Even many roadside stalls practice this they lay out chairs 1.5m apart for people waiting some don’t have chairs laid out but people now know they automatic distance

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Went out to buy lunch back to office to eat since eating at a restaurant and even a stall had been banned. Surprised even upcountry small stalls adhere to this rule and I'm glad.

FJv9DAN.jpg

Reactions: jw5

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Emergency decree bans entry to foreigners
Bangkok Post PUBLISHED : 25 MAR 2020 AT 17:58
UPDATED: 25 MAR 2020 AT 18:03
Reporters at Government House on Wednesday watch Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announcing the enforcement of the emergency decree. (Photo by Chanat Katanyu)

Reporters at Government House on Wednesday watch Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announcing the enforcement of the emergency decree.
(Photo by Chanat Katanyu)

All foreigners will be banned from entering the country under the emergency decree being invoked to combat at the coronavirus pandemic.
The emergency decree comes into effect at midnight on Wednesday, and remains in force through April 30.
The decree bans all foreigners from entry at all entry points - the exceptions being shippers, diplomats, drivers, pilots and others permitted by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Thais stranded in other countries will be allowed to return, it added.
People under the age of five years and over 70 are encouraged to stay home, and public gatherings are banned, under the announcement.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said after meeting with the prime minister the prohibition on foreigners was to prevent the importing of more cases into the country.

The period of the emergency decree was announced on Wednesday in a nationwide broadcast by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.
It has nationwide effect.
The decree authorises Gen Prayut to chair the centre to fight the virus, with the permanent secretaries of public health, interior, commerce and foreign affairs to help him. The supreme commander of the armed forces has been given responsibility for security affairs.
"Only necessary measures will be issued, to prevent the spread of the virus," the announcement said.
Gen Prayut said all shops selling food and essential consumer goods can remain open. He warned that anybody taking advantage of the situation for their own benefit will face stern action - an apparent reference to hoarders.
More measures are expected to be announced.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1886270/emergency-decree-bans-entry-to-foreigners

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sawadekarp all Thai veterans
Hope everything is fine in LOS
小弟 got a few questions to ask , if it's not too much of a bother

My homey ( bachelor ) currently got a 4 room flat in Sengkang ( started paying in May 2019 )
He's been toying with the idea of settling down in Chiangmai within the next decade or so
Should he rent or buy a property there ?
Any restrictions on foreign ownership ?
Should he rent out his Sengkang flat to sustain his lifestyle in Chiangmai ?

He's aware visa run can be done at Mae Sot

Thanks in advance for any valuable inputs or advice ( or is it advices :biggrin: )

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal

My homey ( bachelor ) currently got a 4 room flat in Sengkang ( started paying in May 2019 )
He's been toying with the idea of settling down in Chiangmai within the next decade or so

Thanks in advance for any valuable inputs or advice ( or is it advices :biggrin: )

I think Frog can best answer you later.
1. Better to rent to test water first. What lifestyle you want? CM is 11 hr by bus from the nearest beach.
2. There are changes in doing visa run to deter those AM. Fm CM, nearest n best place is M. Sai border.
3. There's lots of condo abandoned in City by prc who bought them yester years.
3. I know one small spacious budget hotel for sale next to Arcade terminal, few b$Mill.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

People who are of certain age and limited resource should start thinking about stretching one's resources to prolong it and one way is to move to a cheaper place like Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia etc.

For Thailand one need a visa to stay here long term (I guess anywhere also same). Thailand may have 2 choices one is a working visa (If he has employment here like me) or retirement visa which you can get more info here https://www.thethailandlife.com/the-thailand-retirement-visa-guide

There is basically no restriction to own a condominium as foreigners can own 100%

For a start he should rent to look see

I have seen many Singaporeans renting out their flats as income to sustain them overseas as in Thailand if one lives sparingly one can be pretty comfortable with a less than 20k budget which is less than $900.

Thai Living.jpg

Tell your friend to consider Malaysia too as I heard its way to get a visa and Malaysia is also pretty cheap.

One last thing please reconsider Chiangmai because for 3-4 months a year Chiangmai is in danger of being covered with smog like now some places are over 600 on PM2.5 today

https://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai/

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 10.06.29 AM.png

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you 两位前辈 for the valuable advice about settling in Thailand

Heard now got eggs shortage in Thailand ?
Chicken and pork prices have inflated ?
The authorities are thinking whether to continue rice exports ?
Tough times ahead for 新马泰

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Social distancing in Thailand people queuing to buy cooked food home or delivery

sXRLWVT.jpg

7t0sOAX.jpg

ztLR84L.jpg

77ttK8G.jpg

Even many roadside stalls practice this they lay out chairs 1.5m apart for people waiting some don’t have chairs laid out but people now know they automatic distance
in u.s. it is also 6.9-feet apart. don't know why in sg it's only 1m. perhaps sinkies' coughs are weak or ccp virus in sg cannot jump or go airborne over 36.9 inches due to all kinds of oppression?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Thank you 两位前辈 for the valuable advice about settling in Thailand

Heard now got eggs shortage in Thailand ?
Chicken and pork prices have inflated ?
The authorities are thinking whether to continue rice exports ?
Tough times ahead for 新马泰

Egg situation is not bad if people willing to go wet market instead of supermarkets. So is there a shortage? I'd say no because it’s available in wet markets however due to people panic buying it had caused eggs to be less but no shortage.

So some shops may run out but other shops available.

I went to wet market this morning
cmg2xlk.jpg

This egg stall ran out so closed
NsIxlz8.jpg

walking further down saw a egg stall left with only duck eggs
qGvo7nn.jpg

Then found this full of eggs
H08mgpb.jpg

I bought 7 trays of big size chicken eggs (135 baht per tray $6 or $2 for 10) and 1 tray of big size duck egg (140 baht per tray $6.20 or $2.05 for 10)
UC8IZmQ.jpg

Smaller eggs selling for 115 baht per tray $5 or about $1.70 for 10 eggs

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heart warming, shows how khun thais give.

People step up to lend a helping hand
Monks, celebrities, and common man are all doing their bit to fight Covid-19
Bangkok Post PUBLISHED : 29 MAR 2020 AT 04:00

KEEPING UP THEIR STRENGTH: Staff from Suvapee Thammawattana Company which owns the Ying Charoen market in Bang Khen district yesterday set up food stands to cook free food for medical personnel at Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital.

KEEPING UP THEIR STRENGTH: Staff from Suvapee Thammawattana Company which owns the Ying Charoen market in Bang Khen district yesterday set up food stands to cook free food for medical personnel at Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital.

With the number of Covid-19 cases in Thailand soaring past the 1,000 mark and deaths rising to six, life seems to have ground to a halt as people are having to stay at home under the Emergency Decree.
Yet this has not stopped people from extending a helping hand. Though people are discouraged from meeting one on one, many Thais, including celebrities and entrepreneurs, are doing their bit.

Donation campaigns
Launched a few days ago, the #GoWith20 campaign calls for Thais to donate 20 baht to support health workers, the "real heroes", by providing them with protective equipment and food.
Though the campaign was started by some regular folk, it is now being endorsed by celebrities like TV personality Vuthitorn "Woody" Milintachinda and actress Urassaya "Yaya" Sperbund.

The campaign's hashtag #GoWith20WinsCOVID19 was one of the top trends on Thai Twitter and has raised more than 23 million baht since it started.

Other film stars like Araya "Chompoo" Hargate and Ranee "Bella" Campen also lent a helping hand by making large donations to foundations fighting the pandemic.
Araya donated 1.2 million baht to Ramathibodi Foundation, while Ranee gave 2.5 million baht to purchase equipment for the Siriraj Foundation, Phramongkutklao Hospital Foundation, Thammasat University Hospital and Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute.
"I want to give moral support to all those who have been affected by the virus and medical staff who are working hard to stop it from spreading," Ranee posted on Instagram.

Free eats
Though the public has been urged to stay indoors, hospital employees have to continue working for long hours, day in day out, putting themselves at risk of contracting the virus.

Jongjai Kitsawang, owner of a well-known famous fried pork and sticky rice "Moo Tod Jeh Jong" shop in Khlong Toey, realised everybody still has to eat, so she started making 1,200 food boxes daily for medical personnel in several Bangkok-based hospitals.
"I have to wake up at 4 am every day to prepare the meals. Of course I'm exhausted, but I'm happy to help because doctors, nurses and medical staff are working tirelessly to save people's lives. I believe everybody should do what little they can to help. If you don't have anything to give, just stay at home. Even that is a great help during this period," Ms Jongjai said.

While Moo Tod Jeh Jong delivers fried pork and sticky rice to medical workers, Oshin, a Hainanese chicken-rice chain, is feeding people who have lost their jobs due to Covid-19.

Oshin, named after a Japanese TV series about a woman who works against all odds to build a supermarket chain, has 12 branches, and in front of each outlet a sign invites those who have lost their jobs to pick up a plate of khao man gai (chicken rice).
"Most of our customers are blue-collar workers. We know they are affected by Covid-19, but we don't want to see them disappear. I want to see the same old faces coming back to to eat at my shop," said Jantima Yokkam, 40, owner of one of the Oshin branches.

In Phitsanulok province, retail outlet Sanim is offering eggs and dried foods for free to people in its community.
"I want to show people that this is the time for us all to help each other as much as we can. We shall get through this crisis together," shop owner Chonticha Noikrin said.

Monks give back
Normally people offer food to monks to make merit, but during this time of crisis some temples have started giving food to people who have lost their jobs.

Wat Song Savoey Temple in Chai Nat province prepares 200 servings daily, which can be picked up at the temple by families.
"The temple is following the Supreme Patriarch's order that temples should step up to help people during such a hard time," said Phra Kru Prakarnsarawut, the abbot of Wat Song Savoey, adding the free meals will be provided until April 10.

Ordinary individuals are also helping. Kannikar Petchkaew, a reporter in Chiang Mai province has invited her friends to chip in by donating money or ingredients to prepare food for the unemployed.

She usually comes up with 100 meals daily, and has at times even cooked up to 400 servings if she can muster the resources. Yet she is not able to feed everyone.
"Some days I have to hand out queue tickets because there are so many jobless people who need food," she told the Bangkok Post. "I want to motivate them to hang on, that we will get through this tough time together."

Dorms to field hospitals
With infections rising and straining medical resources, Thammasat and Chulalongkorn universities have turned their student dorms into field hospitals for Covid-19 patients with mild symptoms.

This project was launched with five teaching hospitals, Siriraj, Ramathibodi, Chulalongkorn, Vajira and Thammasat.
On March 25, Thammasat University's Dluxx dormitory was turned into a 308-bed facility, while on March 26, Chulalongkorn University launched its "CU V Care" project to provide free accommodation for students, staff or faculty recovering from Covid-19 infections.
"The university is helping patients during this difficult time with no extra charge, except for meals. In the next phase, we will expand nursing facilities and accommodate the public," said Narin Hiransuthikul, vice president of Chulalongkorn University.

Hotels like Punjadara in Korat and Bonanza in Khao Yai are offering rooms as quarantine facilities, while Centara Hotels and Resorts Group has announced it will be on standby to offer rooms for at-risk travellers who need to isolate themselves.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thailand-puts-phuket-on-lockdown-to-contain-coronavirus

Thailand puts Phuket on lockdown to contain coronavirus

bvicodB.png

BANGKOK (BLOOMBERG) - Phuket in Thailand is on lockdown starting Monday (March 30), with most transportation to the island banned, in the latest effort to contain the spread of novel coronavirus in the popular tourist destination.

The order will last for at least for one month, according to Phuket Governor Pakkapong Taweepat. Boats, cars and trucks providing essential goods and services are exempted.

Restricting access to the island is a toughening of the state-of-emergency rules imposed by the government last week under which non-essential businesses are shut and inter-provincial travel is discouraged.

Phuket’s economy is reeling from the outbreak. About 56 per cent of total employment was in tourism-related industries, the Bank of Thailand said in a note. Thailand’s foreign tourism receipts plunged in February to the lowest since 2015 and the nation’s economy is on course for its worst contraction this year since the Asian financial crisis in the 1990s.

Finding flights to Phuket and other destinations is in any case getting more and more difficult as the airline industry shuts down.

The nation’s largest low-cost carrier, Thai AirAsia, is temporarily suspending all domestic and international flights. Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways are also grounding planes as airlines slash costs to cope with the fallout of the new coronavirus.

Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok – all popular with tourists before the disease hit – have some of Thailand’s biggest Covid-19 clusters.

Overall confirmed cases rose by 143 on Sunday to 1,388, with one additional death reported, bringing the count to seven fatalities.

Officials are taking a range of steps as infections surge. For instance, the Thai Navy has prepared 1,200 extra beds at its facilities for patients.