• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Sense Of Right And Wrong

jw5

Loyal
It seems to me that people don't have a strong sense of right and wrong these days.
Rather than analysing the facts, circumstances or situation, and ascertaining whether something is right or wrong based on sensible rationale and logic, most people would rather say or do things based on how it benefits them, or how it makes things convenient for them, or simply because it's what they like or want to do.
This can even be seen in the way children behave in public, let alone how adults behave in the working environment and in public places like MRTs and shopping malls.
Do you agree that people in current day society lack a sense of right and wrong?
Is it worse now than in the past?
What can be done to improve the situation?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Do you agree that people in current day society lack a sense of right and wrong?

What can be done to improve the situation?

One first has to define "right" and "wrong" based upon a common value system that Singapore society accepts as a whole.

To a Chinaman, there is nothing wrong with spitting in public or peeing in the sink. To a muslim, a dog on the premises is wrong. To a non muslim expat or liberal sinkie, dogs are part of the family.

As you can see, the problem with Sinkieland is that this value system simply does not exist and the importation of thousands of foreigners on a regular basis ensures that it never will.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
one man's meat is another poison. your right is my wrong.
just live your own life well and allow others to live their own lives too.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

That sounds great in theory. In practise, exercising your "right" within my boundaries can cause considerable offense if I don't share the same values.

How would you like it if I spat in a lift (common property) I was sharing with you?

king13

Alfrescian
Loyal
dont worry. singapore will never achieve the status of great city. it is first class in economy only

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Calling a Caucasian man "uncle" is inviting a punch in your face.

As a Singaporean, it also find it disgusting if we are not related. Even locals don't share the same value. :(

jw5

Loyal
Calling a Caucasian man "uncle" is inviting a punch in your face.

As a Singaporean, it also find it disgusting if we are not related. Even locals don't share the same value. :(
I guess we will need to use logic and rationale to ascertain what is clearly right or wrong right?
Calling someone "uncle" is subjective and may mean different things in different cultures.
But punching someone in the face for calling him "uncle" is clearly wrong right?

jw5

Loyal
That applies to tastes and preferences.
Of course, "live and let live" is a famous phrase, and most people would agree to this practice.
But sometimes, it can be quite clear by using logic and reasoning that something is right and something is wrong. It does not even have to be illegal to be wrong.
For example, if you are standing in a queue, and someone cuts in front of you, is it wrong? I would say no, because he might not have known that there was a queue.
But if you tell him politely there is a queue and he just ignores you, is it wrong?
Of course.
Doesn't matter whether you are in China, Africa, America or Singapore.

jw5

Loyal
One first has to define "right" and "wrong" based upon a common value system that Singapore society accepts as a whole.

To a Chinaman, there is nothing wrong with spitting in public or peeing in the sink. To a muslim, a dog on the premises is wrong. To a non muslim expat or liberal sinkie, dogs are part of the family.

As you can see, the problem with Sinkieland is that this value system simply does not exist and the importation of thousands of foreigners on a regular basis ensures that it never will.
You are referring to peoples' practices, or their habits or perhaps even their culture to some extent.
But take the spitting for example.
The logic behind not spitting is that it is unhygenic and that it is a form of littering, which simply means that you have left your unwanted garbage in a public place for someone to pick up or clean up after you.
It is clearly wrong to spit, even if it is common practice in China.
The fact that it is common practice or even not illegal, doesn't make it right in the eyes of a reasonable, logical and thinking person.
But I certainly agree with your point about value systems and the potential corrosion of such values.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in sg? ... simple la ... oways me rite, u wrong ... c dose posts in stomp, c in gahmen n u noe ...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It seems to me that people don't have a strong sense of right and wrong these days.

Two major factors that came into my mind:

(1) Something wrong with our school education and the textbooks.
(2) Imported culture from 1 million foreigners here

It is only in recent years that we see people misbehaving in public places like MRT, coffee shops...etc. Many years ago, when our population was 3 mil mostly all Singaporean, Singapore was quite a peaceful place to live in. Now i know why leongsam wanted to emigrate.:p

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Living in SG do not need to sense any right or wrong. The white scum will tell you what to do. Just follow and can switch off your mind.

jw5

Loyal
in sg? ... simple la ... oways me rite, u wrong ... c dose posts in stomp, c in gahmen n u noe ...
No, it's not always or at least, should not be about "me rite u wrong".
It takes people with reasoning ability and sound judgement and a sense of fairness to ascertain whether something is right or wrong.
These people need to step up and deal with those who do not have such traits.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Two major factors that came into my mind:

(1) Something wrong with our school education and the textbooks.
(2) Imported culture from 1 million foreigners here

It is only in recent years that we see people misbehaving in public places like MRT, coffee shops...etc. Many years ago, when our population was 3 mil mostly all Singaporean, Singapore was quite a peaceful place to live in. Now i know why leongsam wanted to emigrate.:p
Perhaps you have a point. I do seem to see a difference between now and the past.
But it's up to us to stand up and tell people that something is wrong, right?
Why just take pictures and post on the internet?
Stand up, walk over to the person and tell him or her that it's wrong.

jw5

Loyal
Living in SG do not need to sense any right or wrong. The white scum will tell you what to do. Just follow and can switch off your mind.
Following the miw is the last thing you should do.
Some of what they do is actually right, contrary to what some people here say, but do you want to be an ignorant, foolish and apathetic person who is led around by the nose? Especially on those things that are not right in our country and society?
I think not, right? :smile:

jw5

Loyal
That is why LKY is right to control the media, he knew long time ago sinkies don't have sense of right and wrong, can be easily manipulated by media..Taiwan is a good example when we can see there are still peopl supported the corrupted ex president despite strong evident against him:biggrin:
Actually there is some basis to having some control over the media, or to put it nicely, having a "responsible" media. Any smart leader would do so. If you were the ceo of an organization, would you allow your company newsletter to be issued out before reading it, letting someone you trust read it or at least putting in guidelines, rules or people in place who will not be "irresponsible"?
But it can also be argued that as people in a supposedly democratic society, we have the right to read and make judgements for ourselves.
And the way to do so is to step forward and make a stand, ensure that there are opposition voices in parliament, regardless of which party makes up the government.