• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A MATTER OF PERCEPTION - Good Insight/Story

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

He had it better than the Beatles no less. One fine day in 1969, the Beatles appeared unannounced at the rooftop of Apple Building (their own building) at Savile Row, London to have a surprise free public live concert.

The public in the neighbourhood promptly called the police to complain noise pollution and the Beatles' last concert was stopped by the police after 3 songs. So much for Britain's bestselling and most iconic group.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody enjoys any form of music including heavy metal when there are distractions such as pile driver, people talking, traffic passing.

Classical music in particular requires absolute silence and the acoustics must be close to perfect. Notice that in a concert hall, there is absolute silence. Its not the same when jamming in a pub, a micheal jackson concert or Bruce Springsteen concert. People will sing along, shout scream etc.

Try humming along at a concert where classical music is played - they will kick you out in no time. The first to kick you out will be an afficienados.

Classical music requires extensive training, deep foundations and a dose of natural talent. There is very repetition in classical music and every note must be listened to carefully.

Dear Scroobal

True classical afficiendo's will appreciate good music irrespective of " Surroundings"

Cheers

Locke

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have seen the footage of that famous rooftop gig in the docu film "Let it Be"...the late billy preston perfromed together with them which was also a first as the beatles had always performed as the 4 members only...and they sang 5 songs..."Get Back", "Don't Let Me Down", "I've Got a Feeling", "One After 909", and "Dig a Pony"...with Lennon making a final inimitable quip "I'd like to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition!":biggrin:...oh and don't think noise pollution was the issue...more like the beatles were creating havoc viz crowd control and traffic down on the street...

U2 copied the beatles and tried to pull a similar stunt on their rattle and hum tour on a rooftop in LA...which was not bad and recently i gather they also performed a live gig on the rooftop of the BBC broadcasting house in London...

but the beatles were and are still the best:smile:

He had it better than the Beatles no less. One fine day in 1969, the Beatles appeared unannounced at the rooftop of Apple Building (their own building) at Savile Row, London to have a surprise free public live concert.

The public in the neighbourhood promptly called the police to complain noise pollution and the Beatles' last concert was stopped by the police after 3 songs. So much for Britain's bestselling and most iconic group.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i think it's more appropriate for the state to focus on the economy and job creation instead of being a nanny to every singaporeans who cannot make decision for themselves..

stop being a nanny let the people decide..

you should tell that to your "invisible man " . stop asking your "invisible man" for help . :biggrin::wink:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
you should tell that to your "invisible man " . stop asking your "invisible man" for help . :biggrin::wink:

no, God, being the creator, is superior than the state..which comprises of mainly people..like you and me.

everyone should listen to God instead of the state..

so how's your e-cigars biz? Sir Smoke Alot? :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, Beatles are the best, always. Inimitable. Bee Gees, Police, U2 etc. all have tried in one way or another. Still inimitable.

As for the "5th Beatle", Pete Best was involved in studio sessions in 1962 (Love Me Do) and Eric Clapton was involved in studio sessions in 1968 (While My Guitar Gently Weeps). But you're right, Billy Preston was the only "5th Beatle" to be involved in a live performance.

i have seen the footage of that famous rooftop gig in the docu film "Let it Be"...the late billy preston perfromed together with them which was also a first as the beatles had always performed as the 4 members only...and they sang 5 songs..."Get Back", "Don't Let Me Down", "I've Got a Feeling", "One After 909", and "Dig a Pony"...with Lennon making a final inimitable quip "I'd like to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition!":biggrin:...oh and don't think noise pollution was the issue...more like the beatles were creating havoc viz crowd control and traffic down on the street...

U2 copied the beatles and tried to pull a similar stunt on their rattle and hum tour on a rooftop in LA...which was not bad and recently i gather they also performed a live gig on the rooftop of the BBC broadcasting house in London...

but the beatles were and are still the best:smile:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

The true affieciendo will be able to appreciate the, magic, the quality, the notes even in a busy subway. Its the pure magic in the play, and the way a master with a violin can draw out that pure magical sound. I agree that ideally want would be able to appreciate it better in a perfect acoustic surrounding, but magic and class shines and will shine through in the worst of surroundings

Locke

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
also must not forget groups like the rolling stones,the beach boys and recent wannabes oasis...but the beatles shall always be #1...just like elvis shall always be the king of rock & roll...:smile:

Yes, Beatles are the best, always. Inimitable. Bee Gees, Police, U2 etc. all have tried in one way or another. Still inimitable..

great, looks like you are big fan too eh:cool:...you are right about pete best and clapton (who funnily enough later married harrison's wife patti boyd)...but i think there were probably 4 other "5th beatle(s)"...the original bassist stu sutcliffe(who together with lennon apparently came up with the name "the beatles"), music producer george martin (who was possibly instrumental in the change of drummers from best to starr), their manager brian epstein and their longtime friend/roadie/personal assistant/ceo of apple neil aspinall...

As for the "5th Beatle", Pete Best was involved in studio sessions in 1962 (Love Me Do) and Eric Clapton was involved in studio sessions in 1968 (While My Guitar Gently Weeps). But you're right, Billy Preston was the only "5th Beatle" to be involved in a live performance.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
also must not forget groups like the rolling stones,the beach boys and recent wannabes oasis...but the beatles shall always be #1...just like elvis shall always be the king of rock & roll...:smile:

Rolling Stones are in a class of their own. Though contemporaries, they were not least interested in imitating or emulating Beatles. The other 2 groups are Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. They did their own stuff in their own style, and did it very successfully and spectacularly too.

Beach Boys were too stifled by beach and surf music that led to their demise from prominence, just like what happened to Bee Gees post disco era. Eagles were seriously good contenders to be heir to Beatles in the 70s, but they only inherited the same fate of premature disbanding.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes...the ability to hit the purest clearest of notes...i once had the good fortune of listening and watching violin virtuoso sophie ann mutter play mozart's violin concerto 3# in a small gardens setting and it was beautiful...as you say, pure magic:smile:
Dear Scroobal

The true affieciendo will be able to appreciate the, magic, the quality, the notes even in a busy subway. Its the pure magic in the play, and the way a master with a violin can draw out that pure magical sound. I agree that ideally want would be able to appreciate it better in a perfect acoustic surrounding, but magic and class shines and will shine through in the worst of surroundings

Locke

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes great mega groups...but then we can carry on with say "the who" and "queen"...

Rolling Stones are in a class of their own. Though contemporaries, they were not least interested in imitating or emulating Beatles. The other 2 groups are Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. They did their own stuff in their own style, and did it very successfully and spectacularly too..

i mentioned the beach boys mainly because of their seminal ground breaking album "pet sounds"...only "sgt pepper" seems to have topped this as an all time great ground breaking orginal album ...bee gees well i gotta give it to them for longevity with #1s in 4 consecutives decades...and since you mentioned eagles, gotta give a shout to say chicago and ccr...and a certain duo by the name of simon and garfunkel:smile:

Beach Boys were too stifled by beach and surf music that led to their demise from prominence, just like what happened to Bee Gees post disco era. Eagles were seriously good contenders to be heir to Beatles in the 70s, but they only inherited the same fate of premature disbanding.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, all all-time greats. Nothing could be taken away from them. When Proud Mary (CCR) or Bridge Over Troubled Water (S&G) suddenly plays in the restaurant or shopping centre you're in, I'm sure you'd naturally take a moment off to notice.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i just have to give a shout out to abba and the carpenters as well...truly great pop music:smile:
Yes, all all-time greats. Nothing could be taken away from them. When Proud Mary (CCR) or Bridge Over Troubled Water (S&G) suddenly plays in the restaurant or shopping centre you're in, I'm sure you'd naturally take a moment off to notice.