• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A MATTER OF PERCEPTION - Good Insight/Story

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007...

The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later: The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

6 minutes: A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

10 minutes: A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

45 minutes: The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

1 hour: He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition..

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The questions raised: In a common place environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.... How many other things are we missing?

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
How many other things are we missing?

what about God's wonderful creation like this?

learn-french-in-chamonix-3.jpg

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
do u think you will stop to listen if you are walking by?
assuming 1) you appreciate this type of music 2) you don't appreciate this type of music

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Portfolio Robinrose,

This is a very good article, better than that Quek Xiao Peng's ones on social development.

I'm not sure about you, but, you see, even someone of a simple background like me can already understand and appreciate the musical talents of some of the other nobodies who sing and play music in the streets, in the subways, etc. I'd reiterate: some of them actually sing and play well.

Oh, including the occasional old Chinese man who plays a traditional Chinese musical instrument. I like that, even though on the other hand it is lamentable that Chinese culture has but literally descended to the streets. I feel that even more could be done to preserve the arts and culture of not just the Chinese but also, those of the other races like the Malays, Indians etc. We should not let Western lifestyles and ideas dominate Asians totally.

The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later: The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

6 minutes: A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

10 minutes: A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

45 minutes: The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

1 hour: He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition..

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The questions raised: In a common place environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.... How many other things are we missing?

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world.

Probably too much chemicals in their genetically-modified food.

You see, P R, from the example of the spastic Americans you have to, I think you have already, I mean, you have to come to terms with the fact the people are generally diseases. Also the fact that they are conspiring in an insidious trend of apathy to put others down publicly.

The idea is to be indifferent to the apathy of these journeyman and quietly hit back against them by smiling and continuing with doing the things that you like doing, even until after they have faded (which is largely laughable as they never were, to even be) and died (they deserve it anyway) :wink::wink::wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Majority of people have no clue what they actually want. Nancy goes to the concert because her boss and those she respects as her models go to concerts. Id she did not attend the concert, she may not be in the conversation the next morning. Its no different to having wine. 99.9% of wine consumers do so for either one of 2 reasons or for both reasons (1) alcohol (2) because they want to be identified with people who drink wine.

Keeping up with the Jones is a fact of life.

If a busker was playing a lively beat, people will stop and a small crowd will form. I have seen buskers in the streets of NY, London, Spain and in Melbourne with a huge crowd because their music is catchy and moves one soul. I get the same busker and put him in Victoria Mem Hall and no one will turn up. I put Joshua Bell and a whole legion will turn, 99% have no clue if a wine is tainted by the cork. That life again.

Washington Post should put Norah Jones at the same location incognito and let her play her tunes. If a crowd does not gather in 5 minutes, my name is Joshua Bell.

Being pretentious is an artform all by itself.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very interesting discourse Mr. Half-Screwed Penis.

Let us not talk about other people. Let's talk about you. Do you know what you want and do you have a clue?

Are you not guilty at all of keeping up with the Joneses? And are you not pretentious?

People are just stupid and are unable to think for themselves, and so, like you said, I quote since "Majority of people have no clue what they actually want." then it is also true that these who form the worthless masses should be manipulated and mind controlled for their own good? If you can't decide your own taste and opinion then let the state do it for you.

And no, no matter what it is, your name is still the same. Don't be so unkind as to insult someone like Joshua Bell even if it is to make a lame point - you are simply not worthy.

Majority of people have no clue what they actually want. Nancy goes to the concert because her boss and those she respects as her models go to concerts. Id she did not attend the concert, she may not be in the conversation the next morning. Its no different to having wine. 99.9% of wine consumers do so for either one of 2 reasons or for both reasons (1) alcohol (2) because they want to be identified with people who drink wine.

If a busker was playing a lively beat, people will stop and a small crowd will form. I have seen buskers in the streets of NY, London, Spain and in Melbourne with a huge crowd because their music is catchy and moves one soul. I get the same busker and put him in Victoria Mem Hall and no one will turn up. I put Joshua Bell and a whole legion will turn, 99% have no clue if a wine is tainted by the cork. That life again.

Washington Post should put Norah Jones at the same location incognito and let her play her tunes. If a crowd does not gather in 5 minutes, my name is Joshua Bell.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
i see where you are coming from on the keeping up with the jones' thinggy...however when it comes to joshua bell playing bach on a strad to all and sundry i beg to disagree...i truly believe that most people regardless of socio-economic status/intellectual background can appreciate and enjoy such music...which is basically soothing and pleasant to ear...same goes for say debussy's clair de lune or pachelbel's canon in d...now if it was heavy classical music or classical opera than perhaps i would be more inclined to agree with you...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its an experiment built on wrong premise. If they put Joshua Bell and Norah Jones both incognito at the same time, each at one end of the station, the response would be very different.

I have no doubt that Joshua Bell is a class act. To enjoy a great classical piece, the place must be deadly quiet, there must be ambience and eventually one is drawn into the music and will appreciate it. And if you know music, you will know how difficult that piece is and another level of appreciation is reached.

Try giving caviar to a newbie blindfolded. He will spit it out. Its an awkward taste. Try telling the newbie that its caviar and then feeding him.

I first noticed this in Frisco, the guy who does Jazz will always draw the crowd (and I hate Jazz) compared to the classical music.

i see where you are coming from on the keeping up with the jones' thinggy...however when it comes to joshua bell playing bach on a strad to all and sundry i beg to disagree...i truly believe that most people regardless of socio-economic status/intellectual background can appreciate and enjoy such music...which is basically soothing and pleasant to ear...same goes for say debussy's clair de lune or pachelbel's canon in d...now if it was heavy classical music or classical opera than perhaps i would be more inclined to agree with you...

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i...however when it comes to joshua bell playing bach on a strad to all and sundry i beg to disagree...i truly believe that most people regardless of socio-economic status/intellectual background can appreciate and enjoy such music...which is basically soothing and pleasant to ear...

Solly who is this bell and bach thingy. Put MJ there and no one stop to listen then I will die with him.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
like i said before it all depends on the type of classical music...for eg. see below when rap/hip hop meets classical music:wink:

Nas – I Can
This number swipes the “doodle-doodle-doo” from Beethoven’s Für Elise, which is familiar to anyone who’s ever taken a piano lesson. It’s one of the most instantly recognizable scraps of melody in the world, and here Salaam Remi hooks it up to boom-bap drums.

Young Buck – Say It to My Face
Mozart’s “Requiem” is one of the most monolithically terrifying pieces in the Western classical literature, a feverish and at times oddly ecstatic death mass. There’s a reason that Milos Forman turned the piece on blast in Amadeus when Mozart’s father returns reincarnate: the minor-key progressions of the “Kyrie” section still send shivers down spines. Young Buck is a forgettable MC; he has his gravelly voice, his maniacal conviction, and not much else. But over the ghostly “Introitus” from the Requiem, his thuggish threats suddenly sound like intimations from the Angel of Death.

Ludacris – Coming 2 America The leadoff track from Ludacris’s massive 2001 commercial breakthrough Word of Mouf (“Roll Out,” “Move Bitch,” “Welcome to Atlanta”), “Coming 2 America” nicks from both Mozart’s “Requiem” and the stately last movement of Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9 (“From the New World”). In such unfamiliar sonic surroundings, Luda doesn’t take the opportunity to stretch much—he offers the same genially corny jokes and dated pop culture references he would over a standard Southern bounce track. Ever the minstrel, he plays the Connecticut-Yankee-in-King-Arthur’s-Court angle, spoiling the dignified surroundings with exclamations like “Uh-oh Spaghetti-Ohs!”

Kelis – Like You
OK, not strictly hip-hop, but still perhaps the best, cleverest classical-music sample ever done, so it must be included. The song, from the otherwise-uneven Kelis Was Here, suspends the most famous section of Mozart’s “Queen of the Night” aria from his opera “The Magic Flute,” a trilling vocal run that hits a stratospheric high F, and loops it endlessly, bringing visions to anyone who’s heard the role sung live visions of a red-faced soprano about to pass out onstage. Bonus points for Kelis’s line “You can fluff my feathers:” a nod to the opera’s two bird characters, Papageno and Papagena, or simply an acknowledgement of the songbird quality of the loop?

Coolio – C U When U Get There
We all remember this one—when I hear it, all I can picture is a darkened gymnasium full of preteens clasping sweaty hands around each others’ waists and swaying stiffly. On the track, Coolio acts the part of the concerned mentor, sighing about crack dealers and urban violence and coming off like 2Pac’s older, less-cool step-brother. The sample is Pachelbel’s “Canon in D,” written in 1680 for the sole purpose of being vaguely overheard by the Viennese royal court as they wined and dined. Now, it is the most frequently compiled piece of music in Western history. Never underestimate a descending D-Major scale.

I first noticed this in Frisco, the guy who does Jazz will always draw the crowd (and I hate Jazz) compared to the classical music.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal

If any of our million dollar minister were to stop doing what theyre doing for just 1 hour per week & do something to benefit back the general public, just that 1 hour, wouldnt that be a sight.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
People are just stupid and are unable to think for themselves, and so, like you said, I quote since "Majority of people have no clue what they actually want." then it is also true that these who form the worthless masses should be manipulated and mind controlled for their own good? If you can't decide your own taste and opinion then let the state do it for you.

i think it's more appropriate for the state to focus on the economy and job creation instead of being a nanny to every singaporeans who cannot make decision for themselves..

stop being a nanny let the people decide..

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If any of our million dollar minister were to stop doing what theyre doing for just 1 hour per week & do something to benefit back the general public, just that 1 hour, wouldnt that be a sight.
u like watchin wayang? ... :confused: