• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A beauty with brawn

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sat, Apr 18, 2009
The Star/Asia News Network

20090418.170015_body1_tab.jpg

A beauty with brawn

By Revathi Murugappan

Beefy Joan Liew turns heads (and elicits comments) wherever she goes.

When Singaporean Joan Liew walks past, people gape and heads turn. Yes, she's attractive, has a presence and oozes sensuality. While she is feminine, she is unlike your typical waif-like model - her body ripples with muscle.

When we step into the gym at Mandarin Oriental Hotel to take a few photographs, the male trainers cannot take their eyes off her. Others steal glances but Liew is oblivious to it all.

"People stare all the time," shrugs the 33-year-old professional bodybuilder, flexing her biceps.

"This sport is just an extension of my interest in the arts - to create an aesthetically beautiful body out of nothing. You are in control of your body, and, in time, you can create whatever body shape you want," she explains.

It sure isn't easy for a woman to build muscles because of the lack of testosterone in the female body, and for that, people salute Liew, who clinched gold medals at the 2000, 2002 and 2006 Asian Women's Bodybuilding Championship. She also emerged seventh in the World Games in 2001 and competed in the World Amateur Championships in 2007.

For now, Liew is taking a break from competition to focus on expanding her business.

Women tend to shy away from the sport because of the gender stereotypes. Hence, there is a dearth of female bodybuilders in Asia. Malaysia stopped promoting women's bodybuilding in 1989 because the National Sports Council doesn't encourage participation, due to the way participants are attired.

Female bodybuilders are often subject to ridicule, and Liew has experienced her fair share of harsh comments. If you're Asian, female and muscular, you're typecast as being buff or a lesbian.

"People have told me that I'm ugly, that I will never find a boyfriend, and what a waste since 'you have such a pretty face'. One fellow even asked me whether I was male or female," Liew sighs.

On the flip side of things, she also has her admirers and a growing fan base.

"Oh, and I'm very vain," she giggles. "I believe in being well-groomed. I follow a good skincare routine, moisturise, visit a hair-stylist, wear heels, make up and dress fashionably."

Starting young

Although as a child she was not competitive and played games only for recreation, Liew's inclination has always been in fitness.

"To promote reading habits, my classmates and I had to pick a book from the library when we were nine. And while my friends picked storybooks, I gravitated towards the 'keep fit' books. People laughed at me but I was impressed with the pictures of muscular women. I knew I wanted to look like that someday," recalls Liew.

That same year, while she was attending a friend's pool party, the young Liew accidentally wandered into an empty gym. Curious, she tried the lat pull and rowing machines, and liked the feeling. At 15, she read her first Muscle and Fitness magazine and was hooked. She couldn't put the magazine down.

Laugh if you will, but Liew chose her junior college based on whether it had a gym! She joined the fitness club and her job was to trim obese or overweight teens and prepare them for national service. Since she had access to the gym keys, Liew regularly let herself in, read books and trained on her own.

"I was never a fat kid but I saw my body shape changing and became so motivated. It gave me a high. I limited my fast food intake and began eating well. My philosophy is: to get what you want, you have to do whatever it takes."

While most youngsters would rejoice after their A-level examinations, Liew took a bus straight to the Bronze Gym and enrolled as a member. It was the gym where most high-performance athletes trained, and here, she became even more inspired by the beautiful bodies she saw.

Whether it rained or shone, she pumped iron seven days a week. The young lass began to notice a man who diligently trained by himself in a corner.

"He was always alone and appeared extremely focused. Men cannot multi-task, and his focus was just on winning competitions. So I asked if I could train with him to spur me on," she says.

The man, Augustine Lee, a bodybuilder, was sceptical. After all, Liew was just a teenager - and a girl.

"Initially, I had my doubts because she was young but seemed very determined," Lee remembers.

"I decided to give her a try, and after all these years, we're still training together!"

Lee, now 55, corrected her technique, offered advice and firmly told her that she had to win when she participated in her first competition. Alas, Liew's folks were not very happy about her interest in the sport. They tried to dissuade her, although her mother did lend support by preparing Liew's food prior to the competition. Liew soldiered on.

After seven long years of training, Liew at 24 was ready for her first battle. She competed in the heavyweight category (58kg and above) of the Asian Women's Bodybuilding Championship in 2000. Although a nervous wreck, she relied on her mental strength to sail through.

"I had been in the circuit and knew how much to push her to the next level. Being an Asian champion is only one benchmark, and I was confident she could win," says Lee.

When they announced the winner's name, both were overjoyed. A new Asian champion was crowned. Liew's parents were happy, but said nothing.

"I was so relieved because I had finally reached my first destination after seven years! Words couldn't describe my pride. It was an unforgettable moment and I was simply too dehydrated to speak," Liew recounts.

Training regime

Liew works out with weights two hours daily - three days are reserved for lower body workouts and four days for upper body. If she's invited to guest-pose at functions, she might spend 15 minutes exercising on the cardio machines for a week or two prior to the event.

If she's entering a competition, Liew prepares six months ahead. She trims her weight down to 59kg (at other times, it's around 68kg) and brings her body fat level down to 10%. Once the body fat is too low, the ovaries (which need a certain amount of body fat in order to function properly) stop producing oestrogen and menstruation ceases temporarily.

When she's not competing, Liew tries to maintain the figure between 15% and 16%.

Her best asset is her back muscles. Every section, from the rhomboids to the trapezius and latissimus dorsi, is sculpted to perfection and pulses with energy.

"My abs are pretty easy to define as well. All I have to do are basic crunches and leg raises without weights, and you can see the six-pack," says Liew.

"As we age, our muscles start to deteriorate so we have to work harder at it," reveals Lee, whose physique can put any 20-year-old man to shame.

"We don't let ourselves miss more than two days of training. When we travel, we make sure to stay in a hotel with gym facilities. We have our ups and downs during a hard day, but training gives me the energy boost I need. It has become a part of my lifestyle," she says.

Energy source

During competition season, Liew adheres to a strict diet. Breakfast consists of five egg whites, three slices of whole meal toast with peanut butter or jam, and black coffee. The alternative is a protein shake with oatmeal, nuts and raisins.

"If I'm hungry, I eat fruits because I have no time to snack," she offers.

Lunch is lean meat and green leafy vegetables, rice without gravy, and Coke light. Later in the afternoon, she has a similar meal but cuts down on the rice. For dinner, it's fish or chicken and steamed veggies prepared by her mum.

"I avoid fried foods and might have some bitter chocolate just to satisfy my cravings. Occasionally, I have durian, and every weekend I have sashimi. I love the Japanese red bean dessert and indulge if I haven't got any TV appearances or magazine shoots."

In addition, Liew pops five to six pills every morning: glucosamine, vitamins, calcium and anti-oxidants.

Liew doesn't smoke and reserves alcohol for special occasions, preferring water instead.

Of course, sometimes she sustains injuries during competitions, but like any athlete, she marches on and prays that they will go away. The training doesn't stop.

Gym owners

Lee and Liew have since become business partners. In 2005, they opened Fitness Factory, a boutique gym cum fitness consultancy firm in the Boat Quay area. With over 200 clients, the duo is kept busy. The two also spent a year living in Malaysia to help set up the True Fitness gym in Sri Hartamas.

Liew is trying hard to educate women that resistance training is important and encourages them to take up bodybuilding.

"A lot of women have this misconception that they're going to build huge muscles if they do resistance training but they don't realise it actually increases your bone density levels. More women are going to the gym but they only focus on cardio training," says Liew.

Westerners tend to pack in mass quickly due to their lifestyle, diet and body structure. Liew is lucky that she stands at 5'6" and is of average build. Asians tend to dominate the lightweight and bantam categories because of this, while their western counterparts monopolise the heavyweight category.

Liew's day begins at 5.30am, and she may see up to 11 clients a day, leaving her exhausted with little time for anything else.

"I've bought all these books on nutrition but hardly have time to read them. I don't take appointments on Sundays, so whatever errands I need to do are carried out then."

By midnight, she retires. Hence, the idea of boyfriends has taken a backseat. The muscle building, though, is top priority in her life.

-The Star/Asia News Network