• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

90% of Singaporeans happy with level of graciousness

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/414723/1/.html

90% of Singaporeans happy with level of graciousness
By Esther Ng, TODAY | Posted: 12 March 2009 0704 hrs

phpkpzZsU.jpg

Photos 1 of 1

SINGAPORE: Talking loudly during a movie, doing nothing to help while a mother struggles to board a bus with her baby and a pram, or walking past someone who has fallen down.

These are common complaints that invariably crop up when graciousness is mentioned. Yet, according to a recent survey, nine out of 10 Singaporeans are happy with the level of graciousness here.

The findings, however, contrast somewhat with the views of 20 foreigners TODAY spoke to. Seventeen of them felt that Singaporeans could do with some improvement in being gracious.

What do you think ? Take our poll and share your comments here

Commissioned by the Singapore Kindness Movement (SKM), the survey interviewed 502 Singaporeans face to face. It looked at gracious behaviour in five areas — public places, home, work, school and on the roads.

"I find it annoying that people don’t allow you to exit, before they rush into the train," said Mr Jose Gerardo, 39. The Filipino architect has lived in Singapore for 10 years.

We also placed ourselves as the fifth most gracious country after Japan, Australia, Thailand, and the United States, and before the Philippines, China, Malaysia and India.

Image consultant Eunice Tan, a Singaporean, was not surprised.

"We've definitely improved over the last five years. I’d say it's because of government campaigns and (the fact) that Singaporeans are more well-travelled," the 36-year-old said.

"When they see overseas that others are more gracious, they put (what they see) into practice when they come back."

Writer and critic Kirpal Singh was less complimentary.

"Where road manners are concerned, we clearly don't have any degree of graciousness," said Dr Singh, 60. "Drivers cut lanes, and when you want to overtake, they speed up."

Singaporeans, too, don't really go out of their way to help.

"If you ask someone overseas how to get to a museum, they will not only tell you how to go there, they will tell you about other museums. They are more willing to engage with you," he said.

Marketing manager Marina Poturica, an Australian who has been living in Singapore for five years agreed.

"Compared to Australians, Singaporeans seem less friendly. I'd go to a bar and no one would really come up and talk to me," said the 32-year-old.

"My other grouse is that service staff don't engage much with their customers. It's always a hmm' or 'yup'."

But American Michael Podolinsky, 54, who has been here for 20 years, disagreed.

"When I go to someone's home here, they would walk me to the lift and all the way to the taxi. Americans don't do that," said the motivational coach.

The 'chope-ing' practice also came in for scrutiny, but the majority of respondents said it is unimportant to how gracious we are.

National University of Singapore sociologist Paulin Straughan felt the same way.

"It's a pragmatic reaction when you have a short period of time. The kind of food we eat is served piping hot in a bowl rather than a takeaway. It makes more sense to secure a spot first, rather than to be carrying a hot bowl with no place to sit," said Dr Straughan.

It only becomes ungracious if you then hog the spot, she said. - TODAY/so

Give your take on graciouness. Take our poll or share your comments here

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am contented with the level of graciousness in Singapore. No place is perfect.

Some of the foreigners whose comments on ungraciousness are totally irrelevant. More like culture differences.

F*%K these foreigners! :mad: If unhappy, pls go back to your own country.

sir cum-a-lot

Alfrescian
Loyal
sgporeans in general r uptight but not as expressive as compared to FTs, i.e.: PRCs, Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs even. if ppl r refering to graciousness, it's the FTs that r causing the false impression that sgporeans r ungracious beings.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I find it annoying that people don’t allow you to exit, before they rush into the train," said Mr Jose Gerardo, 39. The Filipino architect has lived in Singapore for 10 years.

pinoy architect?? bullshitting.. more likely a draughtsman:biggrin:

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
it may come as a surprise to you but there are plenty of philipino doctors, professors, lawyers, etc..... a philipino doc in sg just got kicked out for causing a death and gross negligence. I wonder if the building is is working on will collapse too...

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
1 out of every 3 people in Singapore are foreigners. Therefore many ungracious people are also foreigners.

There are many ungracious foreigners in Singapore too. I have numerous encounters before.

As for the Filipino, ask him to eat shit. His countrymen's graciousness is even worse back in their home country.

jw5

Loyal
1 out of every 3 people in Singapore are foreigners. Therefore many ungracious people are also foreigners.

There are many ungracious foreigners in Singapore too. I have numerous encounters before.

As for the Filipino, ask him to eat shit. His countrymen's graciousness is even worse back in their home country.
There are also many ungracious locals.
In fact, most of them think that people are gracious, because they themselves are not gracious without knowing it.

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are also many ungracious locals.
In fact, most of them think that people are gracious, because they themselves are not gracious without knowing it.

Of course, there are locals who are ungracious. But this article seems to be one-sided as it commented that locals are ungracious from the foreigners point of view, & and not the other way round. Therefore we also have to look at the foreigners' ungraciousness in order to comment all the overall level of graciousness in Singapore which was what I meant earlier.

If you look at the statistics of having 1 out of 3 people in Singapore are foreigners, then there is a likely chance of foreigners having ungraceful behaviour which contributes to the overall level of graciousness in Singapore.

Strangely, I find a lot of foreigners to be very critical of Singapore, even though Singapore provides them with a job, education, & a nice environment to reside in, which their own countries are unable to provide them. I have encountered some foreign students who said Singapore is no good in this or that, but when I tell them their so-called lousy place is providing them with an education & conducive study environment compared to their own countries, they will just keep quiet. Don't know whether it is envy, but for me, I termed these people as 'ingrates' while others called them 'foreign trash'.......:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Of course, there are locals who are ungracious. But this article seems to be one-sided as it commented that locals are ungracious from the foreigners point of view, & and not the other way round. Therefore we also have to look at the foreigners' ungraciousness in order to comment all the overall level of graciousness in Singapore which was what I meant earlier.

If you look at the statistics of having 1 out of 3 people in Singapore are foreigners, then there is a likely chance of foreigners having ungraceful behaviour which contributes to the overall level of graciousness in Singapore.

Strangely, I find a lot of foreigners to be very critical of Singapore, even though Singapore provides them with a job, education, & a nice environment to reside in, which their own countries are unable to provide them. I have encountered some foreign students who said Singapore is no good in this or that, but when I tell them their so-called lousy place is providing them with an education & conducive study environment compared to their own countries, they will just keep quiet. Don't know whether it is envy, but for me, I termed these people as 'ingrates' while others called them 'foreign trash'.......:biggrin:
Yes, some of these foreigners who get benefits by staying here do complain too much.
And there are lots of foreigners who lack graciousness, just take public transport on any day and see them in action.
But some people seem to think that Singkieporeans are very courteous, polite, considerate and gracious, while foreigners are mainly uncouth.
This couldn't be further from the truth.

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, some of these foreigners who get benefits by staying here do complain too much.
And there are lots of foreigners who lack graciousness, just take public transport on any day and see them in action.
But some people seem to think that Singkieporeans are very courteous, polite, considerate and gracious, while foreigners are mainly uncouth.
This couldn't be further from the truth.

There are also some people who think of the opposite (i.e. locals are ungracious & foreigner are gracious). This article is an example. Very sad.....:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
There are also some people who think of the opposite (i.e. locals are ungracious & foreigner are gracious). This article is an example. Very sad.....:biggrin:
The simple conclusion is that the human race is crap. :(

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
i'm singaporean and i wholeheartedly agree with the offences alleged against us. that pinoy is right, notice at the more busy mrt stations how you've got to squeeze your fucking way out of the train when it's supposed to be those on the platform allowing you to alight first. if fucking hongkies and taiwanese can do that why can't we?

when i drive, fuckers whom i give way to don't bother to gesture in appreciation, they fucking take it for granted. fucking hold the door open for someone behind, again nothing so much as a 'thanks'. i definitely would attribute this to the fucking pap-engineered obsession with the paper chase - nothing else matters.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i'm singaporean and i wholeheartedly agree with the offences alleged against us. that pinoy is right, notice at the more busy mrt stations how you've got to squeeze your fucking way out of the train when it's supposed to be those on the platform allowing you to alight first. if fucking hongkies and taiwanese can do that why can't we?

If you're taking the NE line, I can understand why they are so desperate to get in. Those driverless trains will close the doors even though there are people waiting to get in.

Its a jungle out there :rolleyes:

jw5

Loyal
When we have arrogant leaders and people in authority how do we expect the people to behave?
Why do the people need to follow the leaders and people in authority blindly?
Don't they have their own values and thought process?

Royston46

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always pass on my parking coupons when I am leaving which still have some time left for any drivers who just parked...

I so gracious hor??? Hehehe!

:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always pass on my parking coupons when I am leaving which still have some time left for any drivers who just parked...

I so gracious hor??? Hehehe!

:biggrin:

Must be an offence to do so?

To deny the gov't $$$ is a criminal offence.
Don't be surprised if they crackdown on such criminal acts :rolleyes: