• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"80s look" Former minister Lim Hwee Hua launches book on govt’s role in businesses

Montagut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Updated: 10/30/2013 21:40 | By Channel NewsAsia

Former minister Lim Hwee Hua launches book on govt’s role in businesses

4FE66623267A56E7A87F41BD78B58D.jpg

SINGAPORE: A new book aims to shed light on the government's role in businesses and private enterprises.

The book, called “Government in Business - Friend or Foe?” was written by the former Second Minister for Finance and Transport Lim Hwee Hua and launched on Wednesday evening.

The book contains various case studies that cover Singapore, China and the rest of Asia, the European Union, and the Americas.

In a speech, Mrs Lim said government need not apologise for its role in business, as state involvement -- usually as an investor -- is needed for essential goods and services.

She noted that governments should not insist on a dogmatic policy stance as markets are becoming increasingly borderless and technology enables quantum leaps to be made in many spheres.

She also pointed out that beyond the ownership of assets and businesses, governments have a range of possibilities to influence or guide the conduct of business.

Mrs Lim also spoke at a seminar which included a panel discussion on the same topic.

Panellists included chairman of Changi Airport Group Liew Mun Leong.

Mr Liew, who is also provost’s chair professor at NUS Business School, said: "If some governments overplay their role of over-regulating, whether it's finance, real estate, or telco, then it's something which becomes adversary -- I wouldn't say a foe, but it will become adversary.

"Then you find that the private sector have to keep on balancing themselves to meet the challenges of the government.

”That will be a point or threshold where you are over-regulating or you are over-supplying something." - CNA/nd

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: "80s look" Former minister Lim Hwee Hua launches book on govt’s role in businesse

I doubt she has anything interesting in her book. It will only be after LKYs death & after the PAP is no longer in power that we will hear of all the interesting things that is REALLY going on in the PAP.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: "80s look" Former minister Lim Hwee Hua launches book on govt’s role in businesse

I doubt she has anything interesting in her book. It will only be after LKYs death & after the PAP is no longer in power that we will hear of all the interesting things that is REALLY going on in the PAP.

you can have all the interesting things even though PAP is still in power..

now you know why i stay away from sinkies, they got no fucking balls and stupid.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most probably her conclusion will be government intervention is good for the economy.

Annunaki

Alfrescian
Loyal

I didn't know mullet still in fashion?

image.jpg

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

you can have all the interesting things even though PAP is still in power..

now you know why i stay away from sinkies, they got no fucking balls and stupid.

CB Kia Tonychat, why then were you so ball less when I issued you a challenge to do a protest outside the Istana..???

And why are you so stupid as to kena conned so easily by the Google's Nose April Fools prank..??? LOL..LOL..LOL..

No wonder they say empty vessels make the most noise..

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is what happens to the brain of all those who join or had joined the PAP.

Unlike the face of Helen of Troy who could launch a thousand ships, LHW still did not get the idea since last GE that her face alone could sink a thousand ships instead! LOL