• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gomis nearing Swansea return

23 April 2015

832718header.jpg

Garry Monk hopes to have striker Bafetimbi Gomis back from his hamstring injury in the coming weeks after making good progress in his recovery.

Gomis was not available for last weekend's defeat to Leicester City after being substituted in the 17th minute of Swansea's 1-1 draw with Everton on April 11.

The Frenchman was not expected back until mid-May, but Monk is hoping to see the 29-year-old in action before then.

"Bafe is getting there," said the Swansea boss. "We haven't got a date, but it shouldn't be too much longer, he should be on the pitch doing rehab next week.

"He won't have lost a great deal of fitness so it shouldn't take too long to get up to speed after that."

Gomis has stepped in to fill the void left by Wilfried Bony's departure to Manchester City in January, scoring four Premier League goals in his last seven appearances.

AC/DC

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramsey: I´m the man for QPR

24 April 2015

833052header.jpg

QPR head coach Chris Ramsey insisted he is the right man to oversee the club's long-term future, despite relegation from the Premier League being a real possibility.

Ramsey replaced Harry Redknapp in February and he has only enjoyed one victory in eight matches since taking the reins on a full-time basis.

QPR languish second-from-bottom in the standings with five matches left to play, two points adrift of safety, but Ramsey remains bullish about his chances beyond the 2014-15 campaign.

"I wouldn't say I'm expecting the sack [if QPR are relegated] but I've been in the game a long time and you have to be realistic about what generally happens, whether it's fair or not fair," the 52-year-old said.

"I'm going to say it would be unfair because I'll be shopping in Lidl instead of Waitrose, I'll have a different shopping basket.

"I have to look at it from my personal point of view. The club have to do the best for their long term and if it's not me, I'd fully support whatever they decided to do.

"But I think it is me. I think the club long-term needs someone like me to have a holistic approach of building the club."

QPR welcome West Ham to Loftus Road on Saturday.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pardew wants at least £40million for Bolasie

24 April 2015

833057header.jpg

Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew is demanding between £40-£60million for star winger Yannick Bolasie in a bid to scare off potential suitors.

Last week Pardew said Bolasie was worth double the £10m price-tag slapped on him by the media, amid reported interest from Premier League duo Liverpool and Tottenham.

With clubs continuing to circle the 25-year-old Democratic Republic of Congo international, who netted a hat-trick against Sunderland almost a fortnight ago, Pardew has now increased Bolasie's value.

"I'll sell Yannick, if someone wants to give me £40m to £60m, somewhere in there, that would be good," Pardew said ahead of Palace's home fixture against Hull City on Saturday.

"I'll take it and we'll build the team around that money. Every player has a price, of course.

"All these players here are undervalued, in my opinion. This is a top-10 team at the moment, top 12, yet if you put the valuation of our squad against any of the other teams above us, and some below, it's not right.

"So I'm going to address that. Anyone who rings me up will get a proper price.

"It's only our second year in the Premier League so it's understandable [if players are undervalued].

"You need to put your credentials there every week. I think these players are starting to do that now; Bolasie, [Jason] Puncheon, [Joel] Ward, [Damien] Delaney.

"Therefore when I hear figures being talked about players, they are not even close to where I value these players.

"It's very easy to address: a manager has to ring me up and I will tell him the price, and that will be addressed."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Martinez hails Lukaku resurgence

24 April 2015

833132header.jpg

With 11 goals in all competitions in 2015, Romelu Lukaku's recent showings have earned the plaudits of Everton manager Roberto Martinez.

The Belgium international scored seven times in the first half of 2014-15, as he struggled to replicate the form shown in the previous campaign.

But since the turn of the year, Lukaku has shown why Everton forked out a club record £28million to prise him away from Chelsea, and he has formed a productive partnership with Arouna Kone.

"Romelu is 21 and we've all been through that type of season," Martinez said.

"He has a real critical view about himself but I think that's what will make him one of the best strikers in world football.

"Romelu's form since January has been really strong. It's not a straightforward season, there was a hangover from the World Cup but what's important in football is how you react.

"When you see out-and-out number nines playing together it's something new and some back fours find it difficult. We've got that option and it's been pleasing to see that chemistry that Romelu and Arouna have on the pitch."

Martinez was also questioned on the future of Kevin Mirallas, whose contract expires at the end of next season.

"We don't know what's going to happen in the future," Martinez said. "He's got two years left.

"He brings real desire to score goals, all I want is for Kevin to enjoy his football and carry on performing well.

"It doesn't matter if you have one year left or six years left, what's more important is being happy. I don't see that as an issue to solve now at this present time."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hull have provisions for relegation - Bruce

24 April 2015

833144header.jpg

Hull City manager Steve Bruce has revealed that provisions have been made to protect the club should they suffer relegation to the Championship.

Bruce's men sit fourth-bottom of the Premier League with six games to go and are only outside of the drop zone because of a marginally superior goal difference to Leicester City.

The Yorkshire club's demotion to the second tier back in 2010 left Hull on the brink of financial collapse before current owner Aseem Allam stepped in and took over.

But, speaking ahead of Saturday's visit to Crystal Palace, Bruce said: "We're a newly promoted club which has been in the division practically 20 months, we always knew we were up against it.

"Everybody concerned takes a huge reduction in salary, the club has had a really, really stringent policy that, if we do get relegated, the club doesn't fall into drastic times, which a lot of clubs do.

"Most players take a 40 or 50 per cent reduction [in wages]. So we're realistic to know that, yes we want to avoid going into the Championship but we've also made provisions to make sure the club doesn't leak into the realms that it was before.

"I think that's very important for a club like ours.

"That's the right provision to have in there, it's sensible, and of course nobody wants it to happen, because it's a major overhaul of the whole club again [after relegation] and you basically start all over again on your journey.

"For a club like ours, I think it's relative that we have a stringent budget that we stick to and make sure the club doesn't go through the horrendous times of four, five years ago before the new owners took over."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Johnson not suspended by Sunderland despite underage sex charges

24 April 2015

833226header.jpg

Sunderland and England winger Adam Johnson remains available for selection, despite being charged with underage sex offences.

Johnson was charged with three counts of sexual activity with a girl under the age of 16 and one count of sexual grooming on Thursday.

A Sunderland statement on Friday read: "The club recognises that the formal legal process must take its course and whilst our position remains unchanged, we will keep the matter under review

"The club will not be making any further comment."

Former Manchester City and Middlesbrough man Johnson had previously been arrested last month on suspicion of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl and subsequently bailed.

The Wearside club opted to suspend Johnson following his arrest, but that was lifted on March 18.

Johnson, who will appear before Peterlee Magistrates' Court on May 20, is available for Saturday's Premier League clash with Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium as Sunderland bid to avoid relegation.

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Silva fit to face Villa

24 April 2015

833285header.jpg

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed that David Silva is fit to face Aston Villa.

Silva was taken off on a stretcher during last Sunday's 2-0 win over West Ham after being caught in the face by an elbow from Cheikhou Kouyate.

The Spain attacking midfielder returned to training on Tuesday after scans confirmed he had avoided a fractured cheekbone.

And Pellegrini told a pre-match press conference: "David worked the whole week with no problems. We have injuries to [Gael] Clichy, [Stevan] Jovetic and [Samir] Nasri, but [James] Milner also worked without any problems."

Pellegrini has also been boosted by the return of Wilfried Bony following knee and ankle problems, but there is no sign of captain Vincent Kompany recovering from a thigh injury in the near future.

"It's important to see how Vincent will improve in the next week," Pellegrini added. "I think he'll be missing for at least two weeks more - I think then after two games, if he continues to work well, he can be fit.

"Nasri has a muscle injury from the last game. In the last minute, he started playing and he sustained a muscle injury. We hope it's a small problem."

The Chilean refuted suggestions Villa's progression to the FA Cup final will have an impact on the game, saying: "I don't think that Aston Villa will not be concentrated.

"One thing is the final of the FA Cup, the other thing is battling against relegation. For this reason, it will be a very tough game.

"[I expect them to play] Similar to the way they played against Liverpool. They are a team that tries to play as an offensive team. We are used to playing eight or nine players defending."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Johnson will decide if he travels to Stoke - Advocaat

24 April 2015

833294header.jpg

Adam Johnson will make the final decision on whether he travels for Saturday's Premier League clash with Stoke City after he was charged with three counts of sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl.

England winger Johnson was not suspended by the club after the charges were made against him on Thursday, with the 27-year-old facing an additional count of grooming.

And head coach Advocaat said Johnson would be able to make his own call on whether he will join the squad for this weekend's match at the Britannia Stadium.

Advocaat said: "The club made a statement about it and I stand behind that. Let's see what the future will bring.

"He still has to come in [to the training ground], but in principle, if he feels okay, he will be a member of the squad."

Sunderland's statement read: "The club recognises that the formal legal process must take its course and whilst our position remains unchanged, we will keep the matter under review

"The club will not be making any further comment."

Johnson is due before Peterlee Magistrates' Court on May 20.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hazard not interested in Chelsea exit - Mourinho

24 April 2015

833318header.jpg

Eden Hazard is not thinking about leaving Chelsea despite rumours of potential interest from Real Madrid, says manager Jose Mourinho.

Belgium international Hazard has been in sparkling form this term and his return of 13 goals in 32 Premier League matches has been a big part of their seemingly unstoppable march towards the title.

Real great Zinedine Zidane, now in charge of the club's Castilla side, this week waxed lyrical over Hazard's style of play, leading to rumours that the European champions were considering an ambitious bid for his services.

But Mourinho is unconcerned, saying: "We just signed a new contract with him [until 2021 in February]. We didn't put a gun to his head.

"I don't think he's interested in going."

On Hazard's season, the Portuguese added: "In this moment, he is a fantastic player. I always say the most important thing is the team and their targets.

"If he wins the Premier League this season it is fantastic. If on top of that he gets individual awards then it is nice."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini insists Toure happy at City as Mancini talks up Inter move

24 April 2015

833404header.jpg

Manuel Pellegrini is adamant that Yaya Toure is happy at Manchester City, but Inter coach Roberto Mancini continues to talk up a potential move to San Siro.

Toure's form for City has come under scrutiny this season, leading to speculation that he could be on his way out of the Etihad Stadium.

The Ivory Coast captain said earlier this week that he is "open to new challenges", but Pellegrini - who has insisted Toure is still an important player at City - has not changed his stance on the subject.

"Maybe a new challenge is City also," Pellegrini said. "I'm sure Yaya is very happy here."

But Mancini - who was in charge at City when Toure joined the club in 2010 - has previously claimed that the former Barcelona midfielder wants to join him at Inter.

And the ex-Galatasaray boss appears to be sticking by that statement.

"Yaya Toure is a Manchester City player and they're a massive club," Mancini said.

"I don't know whether there's a chance, but I think that given that Yaya has played in almost every European league, maybe it's important to him to come to Italy. Inter are an important club, not just any old club. He can play anywhere in midfield."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rafael adds to United´s defensive woes

24 April 2015

833371header.jpg

Manchester United's problems in defence have deepened after it was confirmed Rafael would miss the final five matches of the season with a broken rib.

Manager Louis van Gaal told the club's official website that the full-back would not recover to play a part in the Premier League run-in after he was injured in the first half of Monday's Under-21 fixture against Leicester City.

United also remain without Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo (both knock), who both missed last weekend's defeat against Chelsea, for Sunday's trip to Everton, while midfielder Michael Carrick (calf) remains sidelined.

Daley Blind is still a doubt, but he at least has a chance of featuring at Goodison Park after he missed the Chelsea game with a knock.

There was some better news on the injury front, though, as the injury to Adnan Januzaj - who also went off in the Under-21 fixture - was described as "not so heavy" by Van Gaal.

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal quiet on Depay speculation

24 April 2015

833405header.jpg

Louis van Gaal refused to be drawn on speculation that Manchester United are interested in signing PSV forward Memphis Depay.

Depay has been in scintillating form this season, scoring 20 goals in league 27 appearances as PSV have stormed to the Eredivisie title.

That form has led to media rumours that Depay could be reunited with Van Gaal, who coached him during his time as Netherlands boss, with PSV technical director Marcel Brands stoking the fires earlier this week by claiming United were one of two teams interested in a deal.

United manager Van Gaal says that preparations for next term are underway, but was coy when asked about the possibility of bringing Depay to Old Trafford.

"I don't discuss it with the media, you know my answer," he said ahead of Sunday's trip to Everton. "I have a lot of relationships with players so I cannot buy all the players I have coached already.

"We are busy with next season, I've said that already in previous press conferences. It's usual business at the club."

Van Gaal was also asked about the possibility of Robin van Persie returning to the starting XI after he was named on the bench in last weekend's defeat to Chelsea after two months on the sidelines with a knee injury.

The striker also played over an hour in an Under-21s fixture against Leicester City on Monday to step up his recovery.

"He has to train very hard, play in the second team," the Dutchman added.

"He has to show his qualities again. Then I have to compare him with the positions he can play, with the players that play in that position - it is always the same."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Burnley too prudent in transfer market - Hyde

24 April 2015

833462header.jpg

Burnley should have shown more ambition in the transfer market to fight against the threat of relegation, according to the club's former midfielder Micah Hyde.

A 1-0 defeat to Everton last weekend left Burnley bottom of the Premier League with just five games remaining.

A sizeable section of the club's supporters were left frustrated by a lack of arrivals in the January transfer window, while the likes of Marvin Sordell, Lukas Jutkiewicz and Stephen Ward joined for small fees in the close-season, although the trio's game time has been limited.

George Boyd did arrive from Hull City for £3million in September in Burnley's biggest deal since clinching promotion last April and the winger has made a positive impact.

Hyde, who represented Burnley in a three-year spell between 2004 and 2007, feels that Burnley needed to add more strength in depth.

"They have been too prudent in the way they've spent their money," Hyde told Perform. "In the middle of the season they had two strikers [Danny Ings and Ashley Barnes] scoring goals but recently that seems to have dried up.

"For me I think they lack goals, they need someone in more of a playmaker sort of role. They've got Boydy [George Boyd] whose a very good player, but they need someone with a bit more guile to create more chances.

"They have great work-rate and great team spirit, but for me they lack the goals. So they could have spent a bit more money.

"But if they do go down I think they have a squad to come straight back up and that's what they've done, good luck to them I wish them all the best and I hope they stay up."

Burnley face a crucial encounter against fellow strugglers Leicester City at Turf Moor on Saturday, with many describing the game as make-or-break for Sean Dyche's men.

However, Hyde feels that Burnley can stay up regardless of the outcome against Nigel Pearson's side.

"I'm not one to talk about extremes like make-or-break," he added. "If they lose this weekend then next weekend is still make-or-break. It's just an opportunity to get three points.

"We talk about six-pointers but all that's on offer is three points. They have to try and fight for that.

"Leicester have done well recently, they've got three wins in a row and will be in a buoyant mood."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cocu tight-lipped on rumours of Depay talks with United

24 April 2015

833474header.jpg

PSV head coach Phillip Cocu has refused to confirm or deny if Memphis Depay has held formal transfer talks with Manchester United.

Speculation is rife that the 21-year-old winger, who is under contract until 2018, is set to link up with former Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford.

But Cocu is giving little away amid rumours that United have been in touch with Depay.

"It's not me who's in a position to confirm that Depay spoke with United," said Cocu.

"I can't say that there hasn't been a meeting between Depay and United. But I can't confirm it as well."

Depay has scored 20 Eredivisie goals in 27 games during PSV's title-winning season to fuel reports over hid future.

When asked if Premier League giants United are the right club for Depay, Cocu replied: "I've worked with Van Gaal. He's an absolutely outstanding coach.

"It's a very big club. Beautiful English club. The Premier League is a fantastic league. The total experience in England is great. But I'm the coach and he's the player.

"There are a lot of clubs interested. He has to make the decision himself. No one else can do that for him.

"It's also important what a certain club wants with the player. As a player you have to make that decision. I know it, because I've experienced this myself."

Van Gaal also addressed the issue on Friday, as he said: "I don't discuss it with the media, you know my answer.

"I have a lot of relationships with players so I cannot buy all the players I have coached already."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Odemwingie set for Stoke return

24 April 2015

833365header.jpg

Stoke City will welcome Peter Odemwingie back into their squad for Saturday's Premier League clash with Sunderland after eight months out due to a knee injury.

Odemwingie suffered the problem during Stoke's 1-0 win at Manchester City in the early stages of this season, and has slowly been making his way back since then.

With Stoke aiming to secure a top-half finish, the Nigeria international's return will come as a welcome boost for manager Mark Hughes.

"Peter Odemwingie has looked really good, and whilst we don't want to compromise him, which we won't, he will be on the bench tomorrow," Hughes said.

"It is a real positive for us to have him back in the group and available to get back into the squad again.

"He has put a tremendous amount of work in, his levels of fitness are really good and he has come through everything we have asked of him over the past week or so.

"He is in a real good place and is confident. Obviously he had a really big smile on his face when I pulled him aside and spoke to him about that today."

Hughes also confirmed that Peter Crouch and Stephen Ireland would be fit for the game, although Marc Muniesa is unavailable.

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pulis relishing underdogs tag

24 April 2015

833364header.jpg

Tony Pulis is relishing the tag of underdogs bestowed upon his side as West Brom head for a tough-looking run-in to the Premier League season.

In their final five matches, West Brom face Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal, with Newcastle United their only opponent not currently in the top five.

Rather than being overawed by the challenge, Pulis is hoping to upset the odds and further improve on West Brom's placing of 13th.

"We can't be below 100 per cent, not just physically but mentally," he said.

"Every game that we play in now we will be the underdog and I've always enjoyed that.

"As for the three points last weekend [against Pulis' former club Crystal Palace], I was most concerned about the confidence in the players. Winning games is the best way of breeding confidence.

Liverpool visit The Hawthorns on Saturday, and Pulis is expecting a strong response from Brendan Rodgers' side after their FA Cup semi-final defeat to Aston Villa last weekend.

"Raheem Sterling, Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge, Adam Lallana - whoever he plays they have great players," he said.

"You have to give Villa credit. They were very, very good. They caused them lots of problems. Brendan Rodgers knows what the Premier League is like.

"Expectations are going to be different to what they were like at Swansea. They expect you to win trophies. It ebbs and flows.

"You have to ride with the waves and make sure you have a clear view of where you want to go."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle United v Swansea City: Carver prepares hosts for ´World Cup final´

23 April 2015

832768header.jpg

Newcastle United head coach John Carver says his side have prepared for Saturday's Premier League clash with Swansea City at St James' Park as if it was the World Cup final.

Carver's men have lost their last six matches and are still in danger of relegation, standing seven points above the drop zone with five games still to play, although Leicester City, Hull City and Sunderland do have a game in hand on them.

The visit of Swansea will again take place against a backdrop of Newcastle fan protests aimed at owner Mike Ashley's running of the club, with a section of supporters vowing to boycott the game after doing the same in last weekend's match with Tottenham.

AshleyOut.com, who have organised the boycott, want supporters at the game to 'stand up to Ashley' in the 34th minute - a reference to the £34million in unused funds revealed to be in Newcastle's accounts.

Carver expects the latter show of defiance from the fans to have an impact on the pitch, although he has urged his players to remain focused for the rest of the encounter.

"We will have 89 minutes to have a go at it," Carver said. "It [the unrest] is affecting people.

"It affected me and the players [last week]. I didn't want to use it as an excuse and I don't have a problem with protests.

"We have been preparing for it [the game] like a World Cup final."

The hosts will be able to call on Siem de Jong for the first time since August in what has been a nightmare first Newcastle season for the Dutchman, while Jonas Gutierrez is back in the squad following a training ground rift with Carver.

Papiss Cisse and Moussa Sissoko are suspended and Rolando Aarons (hamstring), Steven Taylor (Achilles), Paul Dummett, Massadio Haidara and Cheick Tiote (all knee) are also unavailable.

Swansea have named an unchanged squad from their 2-1 defeat to Leicester last time out, with Bafetimbi Gomis (hamstring), Kyle Naughton and Tom Carroll (both ankle) as well as the suspended Neil Taylor the only players on the sidelines.

Manager Garry Monk expects his team to bounce back and not be distracted by the goings on at St James' Park.

"My experience at this club is every time we have a setback we come back stronger," Monk said. "That's what I've been telling them this week. It's a chance to answer questions of us.

"We've had some good results there, it's a great place to play your football. The players are used to the big grounds and stadiums and hopefully we can use the crowd against the team if we perform well but we need to focus on ourselves.

"You have to concentrate on your football. It's not my focus, whatever goes on off the pitch it's their business, mine is to concentrate on Swansea.

"I don't know enough behind the scenes what's going on, I only see what you do on the TV but it's speculation."

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

QPR v West Ham: Ramsey expects ´blood and thunder´ derby

23 April 2015

832777header.jpg

Chris Ramsey has urged QPR to play on the front foot from the off in their crucial "blood and thunder" Premier League London derby against West Ham on Saturday.

QPR are two points adrift of safety with just five matches remaining and return to action for the first time since suffering an agonising 1-0 loss to leaders Chelsea on April 12.

That match was settled by Cesc Fabregas' 88th-minute strike, which was Chelsea's first shot on target, after a valiant showing from QPR.

Manager Ramsey believes his side have been punished for a lack of concentration in recent weeks, but wants to take the match to West Ham as he seeks the first of three victories he feels are necessary to maintain their Premier League status.

"I'm fully expecting a blood and thunder London derby. We will be positive and on the front foot and going for the win," he said.

"We've conceded a lot of late goals this season and we're not happy about that. We really do need to stop conceding those late goals and keep concentrating right to the end.

"I'm not sure [what is needed to avoid relegation], if you win three games you are obviously going to stay up but I'm not sure. As long as we're above the line come the end of May, I'll be happy."

QPR, who lost 2-0 in October's corresponding fixture, could welcome Leroy Fer back from a two-month lay-off with a knee injury, but Rio Ferdinand (knock) remains on the sidelines with Eduardo Vargas (knee).

For West Ham, the remaining matches offer little else other than pride after an alarming dip in form in 2015.

The pressure has grown on manager Sam Allardyce after just two wins in the calendar year have seen West Ham slip from fourth place at Christmas to 10th.

Allardyce is aware that QPR are fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table, but demanded his players match their commitment.

"We've made life far too difficult for ourselves, but we have to continue to make sure we do better than we are at the moment," he said.

"We've got QPR and Burnley next who are fighting for their lives. We have to match that fight.

"The focus has to be that we have to try and finish the season on a high."

Guy Demel has picked up a calf injury, meaning he joins the likes of Diafra Sakho (thigh) and James Tomkins (shoulder) in the treatment room.

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Burnley v Leicester City: Pearson in search of continued form

23 April 2015

832755header.jpg

Leicester City head into their crucial Premier League relegation clash at Burnley on the back of three successive wins, and manager Nigel Pearson wants no let up from his players.

After a 4-3 defeat at Tottenham on March 21, Leicester found themselves bottom of the table, seven points from safety.

Since that reverse, however, wins over West Ham, West Brom and Swansea City have breathed new life into their bid to avoid immediate relegation back to the Championship.

Pearson's side now sit 18th, behind Hull City by virtue of one goal's difference, while Saturday's hosts Burnley have replaced them at the foot of the table.

"We've been in decent form, we have to maintain that. Remaining games will impact those around us, but we must stay focused," Pearson said.

"I want to focus on impact of our own form. We've worked very hard all season.

"We've given ourselves a better chance than we had three weeks ago. The majority of the games we have left will have a direct bearing over us and the sides around us."

Leicester were promoted as champions of the second tier last season while Burnley finished as runners-up.

Pearson's men took four points from their opponents in 2013-14, while Ross Wallace's stoppage-time free-kick earned Burnley a 2-2 draw in the reverse fixture back in October.

Former Turf Moor favourite David Nugent is a doubt with a calf injury, while Marcin Wasilewski is also a concern after being replaced at half-time of the 2-0 win over Swansea last time out.

Since last month's 1-0 victory over Manchester City, Burnley have taken one point from four matches and failed to score in that time, but manager Sean Dyche insists he is not concerned, as he goes in search of a win that could see them climb as high as 15th.

"We had a spell earlier in the season that was like that," he said. "That's why I have got faith, because we came through it and we were scoring two a game for a spell.

"That's gone quiet on that front but most teams from 10th in the table and below have had spells like that. It can be that kind of league but of course it's important that we nip it in the bud and come out of it.

"We have been creating chances so therefore the belief is there that when you are creating chances you will take them at some point, but we have to take them sooner rather than later."

Dyche will be forced to alter his starting XI as Ashley Barnes serves a suspension for his red card at Everton, with the fit-again Matt Taylor a possible replacement on the left-hand side of midfield.

Ospina

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stoke City v Sunderland: Advocaat wants reaction after Palace pummeling

23 April 2015

832724header.jpg

Sunderland head coach Dick Advocaat has urged his players to forget their humiliating 4-1 defeat at home to Crystal Palace when they head to Stoke City in the Premier League this weekend.

Having claimed a 1-0 derby victory over Newcastle United in Advocaat's second match in charge, Sunderland were brought crashing back down to earth by Alan Pardew's Palace.

The Wearsiders have now had a fortnight to mull over that defeat, with last weekend's scheduled opponents Arsenal in FA Cup semi-final action, and head into the final six games of the season just a point clear of the relegation zone.

"This is a different game, a new game," Advocaat told the club's official website. "We know that there are only six games to go, only five weeks that we can show that we want to stay up.

"I have the feeling that the players are really up for it and hopefully we can show that on Saturday.

"The commitment when we go out there is important and we know that we have to get results.

"We need at least six points from the last six games - then we have a chance to stay up."

The first chance to make a dent in that six-point target comes at the Britannia Stadium, and Advocaat is confident Sunderland, who won the reverse fixture 3-1, can produce a positive performance.

"It has been good using the week to be training a little bit sharper," he added. "We played a friendly game too against Hamilton with a little bit of a different system.

"I could see them in a different way of playing, so that was good.

"After the last home game against Crystal Palace we need to show that that was a mistake.

"We have to show that we are improving and you can see at training the way they [Sunderland's players] have trained and the way they've worked; I have a good feeling about it."

Stoke have little left to play for, although they will be keen to surpass their record points total of 50, achieved last season, and currently sit four short of that marker.

The home side are without Bojan Krkic (knee), Victor Moses (hamstring) and Marc Muniesa (hamstring), while Sebastian Larsson (suspended), Wes Brown (knee) and Emanuele Giaccherini (ankle) are among Sunderland's absentees.

Sunderland winger Adam Johnson was charged with three counts of sexual activity with a girl under the age of 16 and one count of sexual grooming on Thursday.