• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

★ Serie A Season 2015-16 ★

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mihajlovic challenges Mancini to Milan derby charity bet

11 September 2015

909057header.jpg

Milan boss Sinisa Mihajlovic has extended a challenge to Inter boss Roberto Mancini - suggesting the winner of Sunday's derby makes a donation to aid the ongoing refugee crisis in Europe.

The traditional rivals meet for their first derby of the season on Sunday in what will be former Inter midfielder Mihajlovic's first taste of the clash from the red and black side of Milan.

And Yugoslavia-born Mihajlovic - former assistant to Mancini at Inter - wants to add a charitable aspect to the fixture, suggesting the victor donates to a chosen charity.

In an open letter to La Gazzetta dello Sport, the Milan boss wrote: "Mine is only a personal 'challenge from the heart' that I extend to someone that, like me, has received a lot from Milan, my friend and adversary on two occasions this season, Roberto Mancini.

"This is the idea: ahead of every derby, we will choose an association in need or group in difficulty that needs help and make a donation, and whoever wins the derby… will pay.

"After a victory, the level of generosity will be even greater than usual. And should we draw, we won't split it, but we will double the amount.

"There is a tragedy that has existed for several years and that has become even more pressing: that of the migrants. Men, women, children, multitudes of desperate people that are fleeing from war, from genocide, from hunger and from poverty.

"It is a problem that is particularly close to my heart because I saw it with my own eyes and experienced it in my country when the civil war turned the former Yugoslavia upside down.

"Even my parents and a lot of my family members were migrants escaping from the war. They were lucky during the tragedy to have had a child or relative that was able to help them, welcome them and help them move.

"I helped, as much as I could, a lot of people that I had never seen before, I don't remember their names anymore, but I still remember the look and the suffering hidden behind their eyes.

"Eyes that said more than a thousand words could. Almost all those that flee and look for refuge do so out of desperation and I know how difficult it can be for entire families to up-root, for men and women to try to rebuild their lives at 50 or 60 years old.

"I don't want to enter into a debate about European politics, or analyse the reasons why states are not able to welcome everyone. I don't want to start a debate, I am only a football coach.

"But I know that there are associations in Milan that help people who today are living this tragedy and are seeking help. We will choose one. It is a chance for the public to give an extra hand and go beyond what each and every one of us already do privately.

"Whoever wins the derby will pay. Mancio, are you up for it?"

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus v Chievo: Dybala keen to prove point and end winless start

10 September 2015

908631header.jpg

Paulo Dybala is keen for Juventus to show they still have the quality to win Serie A when they welcome a Chievo side in good form to Turin on Saturday.

Massimiliano Allegri's men are seeking a fifth consecutive Scudetto after winning the league and the Coppa Italia as well as reaching UEFA Champions League final last season.

But Juve have made an extremely disappointing start to the new campaign, losing their opening two games to Udinese and prospective title rivals Roma respectively.

By contrast, Chievo are top of the table after a 3-1 win over Empoli before then hammering Lazio 4-0 thanks in part to Alberto Paloschi, whose double took his tally to three goals in two matches.

Juve are set to be boosted by the return of midfielder Claudio Marchisio from a muscle injury, while Hernanes and Mario Lemina could make their debuts for the club following deadline-day moves.

But Sami Khedira is still out with a thigh injury and Kwadwo Asamoah has not yet recovered from his knee troubles. Goalkeeper Rubinho and defender Patrice Evra are suspended.

Despite those absentees, Dybala is hopeful that Juve can prove a point and deal Chievo their first loss.

He told JTV: "They're [Chievo] coming off two wins, and they beat Lazio 4-0. They're fired up, and they'll come here for a very important match to try to take three points home with them.

"We've worked very hard during the week, and players have come back from international duty, so everything is in place.

"The injured players are back, so the team is now at 100 per cent, and we want to show we can win the Scudetto again."

Chievo's magnificent start to the campaign will have surprised many after they finished 14th last term.

The meeting with Juve will see Simone Pepe return to his former club after he made the switch to the Stadio Marc'Antonio Bentegodi last month.

And Chievo's perfect record so far has not altered the 32-year-old's expectations for the remainder of the term.

Pepe told Gazzetta dello Sport: "It's fantastic but we still have our feet on the ground. We've started very well, but we're fighting to avoid relegation. So first we achieve safety, then we can enjoy ourselves."

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Inter v Milan: Perisic targets derby win on debut

11 September 2015

909029header.jpg

Ivan Perisic is eagerly anticipating Sunday’s derby between Inter and Milan and has stressed Roberto Mancini's men will give their all to maintain their 100 per cent record this campaign.

The Nerazzurri have started the 2015-16 season in fine form as they beat Atalanta 1-0 and Carpi 2-1 back in August.

They have since added a number of new players to their squad, though, as Perisic, Alex Telles, Felipe Melo and Adem Ljajic all joined Inter in the closing stages of the window.

Star striker Mauro Icardi is expected to be match fit in time for Sunday's encounter, yet they will have to make do without experienced defenders Miranda and Nemanja Matic.

The absence of the aforementioned duo has not affected Perisic's positivity, however, as he targets the full three points.

"I'm glad to be here because Inter are one of the best clubs in the world. My first game is against AC Milan too, one of the biggest games in the world," the Croatia international told his club's official website.

"I know what the derby means to our fans and we have to give our best to win it, but we also have to try and win every game and not just the derby.

"I don't think it's normal that these two clubs should finish so low down the table as they did last seaon.

"Both teams will be going all out to put in a top performance in the derby and we have to make sure we don't get caught out."

Milan, meanwhile, will be determined to add three more points to their tally and record their first away win of the season.

Sinisa Mihajlovic's men were beaten 2-0 by Fiorentina on matchday one, but bounced back with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Empoli at home the following week.

Luiz Adriano and Carlos Bacca both found the net against Empoli and the Brazilian attacker is hopeful fellow attacker Mario Balotelli can get in on the action as well when they meet Inter.

"Balotelli is very important, Mario is a great player who came to help us," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"The team needs him and he will help us a lot. We can be a great trident, because Balotelli has qualities that can help us a lot. There will be no problem to play all three of us together.

"With Bacca, I feel good. Our understanding improves with each training session and we talk a lot. As time goes on we will improve further."

Milan will probably have to make do without new arrival Andrea Bertolacci due to inury, however, while Luca Antonelli and Jeremy Menez are also likely to miss out.

Both sides played out a scoreless draw the last time they met in Serie A in April 2015.

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Miranda ruled out of Milan derby

10 September 2015

908462header.jpg

Miranda has been ruled out of Sunday's Milan derby due to a knee injury that he sustained during international duty for Brazil.

The 31-year-old defender was substituted after just 23 minutes of Brazil's 4-1 international friendly win over United States, and scans have revealed medial collateral ligament damage in his right knee.

His absence is a significant blow to Inter coach Roberto Mancini, who is hoping his side can deliver a first victory over their city rivals in four meetings.

Miranda will be re-evaluated next week to assess whether he will have a chance of recovering in time to make the trip to Chievo on September 20.

Inler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia backs Roma to compete on all fronts

10 September 2015

908621header.jpg

Rudi Garcia is confident that his Roma side can compete on all fronts this season, providing they steer clear of injuries.

Garcia's men ran out 2-1 winners over 10-man Juventus last time out courtesy of goals from Miralem Pjanic and Manchester City loanee Edin Dzeko.

Roma travel to Serie A new boys Frosinone this weekend before hosting Barcelona in their first group match of this season's Champions League.

"This success against Juventus raised our spirits. We deserved to win, but we must stay focused now for the next game," said Garcia.

"We are working to improve and have a great season. We will do our best, for sure. We play every game to win. Now it will also depend on our ability to reproduce the performance like we did against Juventus.

"The goal in the Champions League is to reach the last 16. Last year we did not manage to do it and I think everyone in our group this year will be behind Barca, but we will do everything to qualify.

"Our recruitment was of quality. We have a small group, but if we are fortunate not to have too many injuries, we will be competitive this season, as we have the versatility in the squad."

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Review: Chievo stay out in front with Juve point as Roma and Fiorentina win

12 September 2015 21:21

909814header.jpg

Chievo remain the early leaders of Serie A after holding off-colour champions Juventus to a 1-1 draw.

Massimiliano Allegri's men were six minutes away from suffering a third consecutive league reverse before Paulo Dybala followed up a consolation goal at Roma last time out with a more meaningful effort from the penalty spot.

Chievo took a fifth-minute lead - Perparim Hetemaj emphatically netting his first goal for the club he joining in 2011 from Brescia.

Although Juventus pressed a determined Chievo defence throughout, their opponents did not lack for attacking ambition.

The visitors might have been out of sight but for Gianluigi Buffon making a breathtaking save from Bostjan Cesar and the same player having a goal ruled out before he fouled substitute Juan Cuadrado inside his own box.

Chievo have seven points from their opening three matches, edging ahead of Roma on goal difference after the capital club beat neighbours Frosinone earlier on Saturday.

Iago Falque scored his first Roma goal a minute before half-time, bundling home from close range when Lucas Digne’s throw-in caused havoc in the Frosinone defence.

The top-flight newcomers have now lost their opening three matches but twice came close through Aleksander Tonev during the first-half, while Daniel Ciofani headed into the side netting after the break.

Roma ensured they followed up their rousing 2-1 win over Juventus with another three-point haul when Juan Iturbe finished emphatically on the break in stoppage time.

Ten-man Fiorentina beat Genoa 1-0, with Khouma Babacar heading the only goal from Borja Valero’s corner after an hour.

The hosts were a man short for much of the rest of the match after Milan Badelj collected a second booking in the 63rd minute.

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Review: Dream debut for Matri, Sarri frustrated on Empoli return

13 September 2015 21:04

910378header.jpg

Alessandro Matri enjoyed a dream debut for Lazio as his double got Stefano Pioli's side back to winning ways against Udinese.

In the torrential rain of the capital, Matri led the line in place of the injured Miroslav Klose and the former Milan striker opened his account midway through the second half, rifling into the roof of the net after Felipe Anderson's cut-back.

And Matri sealed three points for Lazio as he pounced on Orestis Karnezis' parry to fire home from close range, helping to put a 4-0 humbling at the hands of Chievo before the international break to bed.

Fredy Guarin secured the derby bragging rights as Inter moved top of the table thanks to a 1-0 win over Milan.

The Colombia international drilled home just before the hour mark after both Luiz Adriano and Mauro Icardi had missed gilt-edged chances.

Mario Balotelli returned to action as a second-half substitute and rattled the post with a stinging shot from distance, but Roberto Mancini's men held on for their third win in three.

n a day of 2-2 draws, Napoli twice came from behind to force a point away to Empoli, who took the lead after just three minutes thanks to Riccardo Saponara's composed finish.

Lorenzo Insigne's stunning curled effort restored parity just four minutes later but Empoli were back in front before the 20-minute mark, Saponara again leaving the Napoli defence flat-footed before squaring for Manuel Pucciarelli to score.

However, Maurizio Sarri was ensured a share of the spoils against his old club as Allan turned home following good work from Marek Hamsik and Manolo Gabbiadini, and only the inside of the post prevented Hamsik from winning the game in the final minute.

Sassuolo's perfect start to the season was ended by a thrilling draw with Atalanta, meanwhile, with four first-half goals, two red cards and two missed penalties capping a feisty encounter in Reggio Emilia.

Nicola Sansone's spot-kick was saved before Mauricio Pinilla's brilliant bicycle kick put Atalanta ahead, and the Chilean restored their lead after Francesco Magnanelli rifled in an equaliser.

But Antonio Floro Flores' fine strike from distance levelled matters before Pinilla and Sime Vrsaljko were sent off for two yellows in the second half and Maxi Moralez missed a late Atalanta spot kick.

Torino's trip to Verona and Palermo's home fixture with Carpi also ended 2-2, Uros Djurdjevic striking two minutes from time to deny Carpi a first Serie A win.

Sampdoria against Bologna was postponed until Monday after severe weather warnings.

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Handanovic revels in Balotelli save

14 September 2015 04:17

910488header.jpg

Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic underlined the importance of his save to deny Mario Balotelli as Roberto Mancini's men went on to beat Milan 1-0.

Fredy Guarin gave Inter the lead in the 58th minute and Balotelli replaced Carlos Bacca for Milan soon after.

The Liverpool loanee immediately added something to Milan's attack, with Balotelli hitting the post with a long-range effort in the 78th minute, while he almost equalised from a 35-yard free-kick four minutes later.

Handanovic saved Inter, however, parrying Balotelli's shot around the post and the 31-year-old goalkeeper, who also denied Luiz Adriano and Keisuke Honda with fine saves in the first half, was thrilled with his performance afterwards.

"The stop on Mario was the best one as it was a shot that was difficult to judge," Handanovic told Sky Sport Italia.

But like match-winner Guarin, Handanovic ignored claims Inter are now favourites to win Serie A.

Inter moved to nine points with their third straight win this season, two points clear of their closest rivals.

"I think that it is too soon to talk about the Scudetto as it is still early in the season," the Slovenian said.

"We have another tough match on Sunday against Chievo."

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guarin: Derby win highlights Inter´s quality

14 September 2015 00:56

910440header.jpg

Inter's first win over city rivals Milan since 2013 underlined their increased quality, according to match-winner Fredy Guarin.

While the victory took Inter to the top of Serie A with the only perfect record in the competition, Guarin attempted to deflect questions about his team's title aspirations.

Inter have not won Serie A since 2009-10 but have nine points from three matches, giving them a two-point lead over Chievo, Torino, Palermo, Sassuolo and Roma, with defending champions Juventus (one point) in 16th.

Guarin's 58th-minute strike on Sunday saw Inter beat archrivals Milan for the first time in four meetings.

"It's a bit early for that [to talk about winning the championship]," Guarin told Inter's website after the 1-0 win.

"We've shown we've got more quality but we need to keep taking things one game at a time."

Inter finished eighth last term, while they have finished no better than fifth in the past four seasons.

Guarin claimed victory for Inter when he cut in from the right wing and crunched a left-foot strike inside the far post from 20 yards.

"Obviously it's a goal that will go down in the history of this massive fixture. But what matters to me is that I repay the coach and the team for their faith in me," the Colombian said.

"We played really well tonight and showed we have big ambitions to take Inter back to the top.

"Who do I dedicate the goal to? My children, they're everything to me."

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mancini: The Scudetto race is long - but Inter must go for it

13 September 2015 23:43

910400header.jpg

Inter head coach Roberto Mancini says his side must consider themselves Serie A title contenders despite the season being just three games old.

Mancini's men moved top of the table with their third 1-0 victory of the campaign in Sunday's Milan derby, thanks to Fredy Guarin's fierce second-half strike.

While Mancini accepts that the current standings have little importance, he maintains that Inter's current form should give them confidence as they look to win their first league title since 2010.

"The table doesn't matter much now. The Scudetto race is long, we have work to do," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"We did some good things and some not so good things, but we're still at the start, so that's normal.

"As I said last week, big clubs must start out targeting the ultimate prize. Then you need luck, consistency and other things to go your way.

"We are only in week three and football can change in the space of 90 minutes. These results must give us the confidence to carry on this path.

"Other squads are better placed to win the Scudetto, but we are Inter and we must go for it."

Mancini was delighted with the efforts of debutants Ivan Perisic and Felipe Melo, as well as makeshift centre-back Gary Medel.

"Perisic played in a new role for him. He had some difficulties at first but then he improved," said the former Manchester City boss.

"Medel can play anywhere and there's almost always room in my team for him. He's clever, experienced, and it went well for him.

"I trained Melo at Galatasaray and he's a great player. He's experienced, can do everything and is determined – not in a bad way. He had a great game."

Mario Balotelli hit the post and forced Samir Handanovic into a smart save during a second-half cameo and Mancini admits his former City striker had him worried.

"Mario had us in trouble when he came on, we shouldn't have let him shoot," he added.

Inter are now six points ahead of Milan in the table and eight clear of champions Juventus.

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus midfielder Marchisio ruled out for a month

14 September 2015 15:00

910670header.jpg

Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio has been ruled out for a month after injuring his thigh in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Chievo.

The 29-year-old had hoped to return as soon as Wednesday's Champions League tie against Manchester City, but the Italian champions have confirmed he will instead miss 30 days of action after evaluating the problem.

Marchisio had already missed three weeks of action at the start of the season with another thigh problem and the Chievo game had been his first Serie A start of the campaign before he had to be replaced at half-time.

"Tests today have revealed a first to second grade tear of the midfielder's right adductor longus muscle," read the club's statement.

"The prognosis for recovery is around 30 days."

As well as the crunch clash with City, the Italy international is almost certain to miss fixtures against Genoa, Frosinone, Naples and Bologna in Serie A, as well as his side's second Champions League tie against Sevilla.

Juventus, who are yet to win after three Serie A matches in 2015-16, are already without pre-season signing Sami Khedira through injury.

Pirlo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Napoli won´t win with Sarri - Maradona

15 September 2015 00:46

910984header.jpg

Napoli are destined to fail with coach Maurizio Sarri in charge, according to club icon Diego Maradona.

Sarri was appointed during the off-season after Rafael Benitez departed for Real Madrid and the 56-year-old has overseen a winless start to the 2015-16 Serie A campaign.

Napoli have played out back-to-back 2-2 draws against Empoli and Sampdoria, having lost at Sassuolo on the opening weekend.

The club's poor form has alarmed Maradona, who helped Napoli to two Serie A titles in 1986-87 and 1989-90 as well as the 1989-89 UEFA Cup.

Maradona does not believe Sarri is of the calibre to lead Napoli and fears his former team will struggle to finish in the top half of the league standings.

"I have great respect for Sarri," the 54-year-old told +N Pienne. "But we won't have a winning Napoli with him.

"I'd have kept Benitez, who went to Real Madrid, which confirms his work and the fact he's not lacking in admirers around the world.

"The two points from three games seems to be deserved. This Napoli team doesn't have a good style of play, or a defence that offers the peace of mind to be able to dream big.

"This Napoli will struggle to finish in mid-table, I'm angry because they didn't deserve this downsizing.

"It reminds me of my first Napoli team, where we were struggling to avoid relegation, and that's my biggest fear.

"Sarri is a good person, but he's not worthy of Napoli. For him to be on the bench is a great gift. They needed a coach who understands the size and prestige of the club.

"But the fault lies with those who put him on the bench."

Mancini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Berlusconi: Milan will not leave San Siro

15 September 2015 03:26

911028header.jpg

Milan are set to scrap plans for a new stadium just seven months after unveiling them with a prospective new owner partly to blame.

In February, Milan revealed their plans for a 48,000-seater stadium, which was expected to cost €320million and would have seen them become just one of a few Serie A clubs to own their own stadium.

But president Silvio Berlusconi revealed on Monday that a move away from the tired San Siro may be shelved, and imminent owner Bee Taechaubol is apparently behind that decision.

Taechaubol - a Thai businessman - is set to complete a purchase of 48 per cent of Milan for a reported fee of €500m.

"I think Milan will stay at the San Siro," Berlusconi said.

"Mr Bee really loves it too. He's also convinced that it's the best solution."

Reports in the Italian media have indicated Taechaubol's investment was in doubt but Berlusconi insisted the deal will be completed soon.

"The deal with Mr Bee is only a formality now," he said.

"I like Bee Taechaubol very much."

Stadia in Serie A are generally run-down having been built or last renovated for the 1990 World Cup, with most venues owned by local governments and clubs struggling to convince them to upgrade.

Juventus' dominance of Serie A over the past four years can at least partially be linked to the opening of Juventus Stadium in September 2011.

Udinese also own their stadium and completed renovations this year, while Roma plan to have a new 52,500-seater home for the 2017-18 season.

In July, Milan purchased the old trade fair grounds in the northern Italian city but may have no use for the land, following Berlusconi's announcement.

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Buffon alongside Zoff as greatest - Rossi

17 September 2015 11:04

912394header.jpg

Paolo Rossi has described Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon as the greatest goalkeeper of all time alongside the legendary Dino Zoff.

Buffon earned widespread plaudits for his performance in Juve's 2-1 Champions League win at Manchester City on Tuesday.

The 37-year-old pulled off a string of important saves, including crucial stops from David Silva and Wilfried Bony, to help Massimiliano Allegri's men claim all three points at the Etihad Stadium.

Goals from Mario Mandzukic and Alvaro Morata turned things around in the final 20 minutes after Giorgio Chiellini's own goal had beaten Buffon and given City the lead.

Afterwards Allegri stated that Buffon is "perhaps the best ever" at the keeper position. And that sentiment has been echoed by former Juve striker Rossi, who won the 1982 World Cup alongside Zoff and was team-mates with him at Juve.

Rossi - who won two Serie A titles and the European Cup with Juve - told Corriere dello Sport: "Gigi [Buffon] and Zoff are the greatest ever.

"[They are] so different in character but similar in personality. Two absolute leaders, men guiding the whole team."

Palermo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milan v Palermo: Mihajlovic´s men seek response to derby disappointment

17 September 2015 15:39

912516header.jpg

Milan have no time to dwell on last weekend's disappointing derby defeat against Inter as they face a tough test against unbeaten Palermo on Saturday.

Sinisa Mihajlovic suffered a second defeat in his third Serie A match in charge of Milan as Inter took the bragging rights in a 1-0 win last Sunday.

Milan had plenty of opportunities in an open contest, with Luiz Adriano spurning two great chances and Mario Balotelli hitting the woodwork on his first appearance since returning to the club on loan from Liverpool.

Following the defeat, Mihajlovic credited Milan's performance and he will have seen enough to believe they can put a run of good form together.

But starting that against a Palermo side who have taken seven points from three Serie A games this term - and who won the corresponding fixture 2-0 last season - will be no easy feat.

And Milan full-back Mattia De Sciglio is well aware that his team will need to be at their best to bounce back from their derby heartache.

"We will all have to put that extra bit more effort into the match compared to the derby," he told Milan's official website.

"Palermo are an organised side whom we have always struggled against."

Palermo started their season with back-to-back 1-0 victories against Genoa and Udinese respectively, but needed an 88th-minute equaliser from Uros Djurdjevic to clinch a 2-2 draw against newly promoted Carpi last time out.

The visiting fans may feel that a wounded Milan are there for the taking this weekend, but attacking midfielder Franco Vazquez was keen to temper expectations and highlighted the threat of opposing striker Carlos Bacca.

"If we start looking too far ahead then we will end up making things hard for ourselves," the Italy international told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Against Milan we want to repeat our performance from last season. If I could take away a Milan player I would choose Bacca, who is a very strong forward."

Palermo finished just one place below Milan in 11th last term, but Vazquez is keen not to set unrealistic expectations.

"If we aim too high we'll end up hurting ourselves," he added. "If something more than staying up happens then all the better.

"Repeating the 49 points we got last season is a challenge. Possible, but not easy."

Milan remain without Jeremy Menez (back), M'Baye Niang (foot) and Andrea Bertolacci (thigh), while Luca Rigoni (knock) is a doubt for Palermo.

Cavani

Alfrescian
Loyal

Szczesny out four to six weeks with finger injury

17 September 2015 15:58

912519header.jpg

Roma goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny is expected to be out for four to six weeks following his collision with Luis Suarez during Wednesday's Champions League game with Barcelona.

The Poland international - on loan at the Serie A side from Premier League team Arsenal - was caught on the hand by Suarez early in the second half as the Uruguay striker stretched for the ball in the 1-1 draw.

Szczesny was forced off and replaced by Morgan De Sanctis as Roma secured a share of the spoils with the Champions League holders at the Stadio Olimpico.

But scans of the injury on Thursday revealed that he did not suffer a fracture to the finger injured in the incident.

A statement on Roma's official website read: "Tests have confirmed that Polish goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny did not sustain a fracture to the fourth finger of his left hand against Barcelona, despite having to come off injured in the second half after a clash with Luis Suarez.

"Tests did reveal that Szczesny, who is on loan from Arsenal and has started all four of Roma's competitive games this season, suffered a ligament strain to the finger.

"It is estimated that Szczesny, who has so far made 23 appearances for the Polish national side, will be out for between four and six weeks."

Podolski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Abate: It´s time for Balotelli to carry Milan

17 September 2015 17:13

912562header.jpg

Milan defender Ignazio Abate feels the time has come for striker Mario Balotelli to "carry the team".

Balotelli made his first appearance since agreeing to a season-long switch from Liverpool in the derby defeat to Inter and was a threat in his time on the pitch, rattling the post from distance before coming close with a fierce late effort.

While he has warned against piling too much pressure on the Italy international's shoulders, Abate has challenged Balotelli to prove his quality to the Rossoneri over the remainder of 2015-16.

"It's going to be a tough match against Palermo. They will be coming up against a Milan side out to win, however, and one that will want to put in a good performance," he told Milan Channel.

"Let's also hope that Balotelli can give us a big hand. He is training really well and he played well in the derby. He will be a key player, but let's not put too much pressure on him.

"He needs to find his form, but he has everything in place and all the qualities to achieve that. The moment has come for him to carry the team."

Milan have lost two of their opening three Serie A games this season, but Abate says they can send a message to the rest of Italy if they sustain the intensity of their derby performance.

"We need to play again with the spirit from the derby and the attacking approach. If we do that, I think we can come away with a result," said the 28-year-old.

"I think we gave a good performance in the derby and we defended well. We played a good match and we gave away very little.

"We have some quality players. We need to send a sign to the other teams. We want to go far but we need to be focused on picking up a string of positive results.

"Without putting pressure on ourselves and taking things one game at a time, we have the abilities to achieve that."

Michu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sarri: Napoli formation change premeditated

18 September 2015 05:23

912910header.jpg

Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri insisted his formation change against Club Brugge was not a reaction to his team's poor start to the Serie A season.

Sarri tweaked his line-up on Thursday, setting Napoli up in a 4-3-3 rather than a 4-3-1-2, with Jose Callejon and Dries Mertens flanking Gonzalo Higuain up front, while Lorenzo Insigne - an ever-present in the starting XI as a central attacking midfielder before Thursday - dropping to the bench.

Callejon and Mertens both scored twice in Napoli's 5-0 Europa League triumph after they were rested against Empoli in Serie A on Sunday.

Napoli had failed to win in their opening three Serie A fixtures but registered their first victory of the season at the Stadio San Paolo against Brugge.

"The 4-3-3 is a more defensive system than a 4-3-1-2," Sarri told reporters after the match.

"We needed to do better defensively and tonight we did that.

"Our defenders were a big help to us and Callejon and Mertens were fresh in attack but honestly, I had made the decision to use this system 10 days ago.

"That's why I decided to rest them against Empoli.

"Insigne has shown he can play as a winger in the past, but he is doing well as a playmaker.

"He can do well in both roles and it just means that we have something to evaluate."

Sarri added that the mood within his squad had remained positive despite their stuttering start in the Italian top flight.

Napoli lost their first game of the season away to Sassuolo, while they drew with Sampdoria and Empoli.

"I saw many positive things but at times we lost our focus too easily," the 56-year-old coach said.

"I saw what I expected to see, which is many positives and some negatives.

"The players were not too bothered despite not winning up to now, as we just needed to find consistency.

"After we went up 1-0, we conceded very few chances and they [Club Brugge] were less incisive than previous matches I have watched of them."

Doumbia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Genoa v Juventus: Our season starts now, urges Morata

18 September 2015 16:48

913151header.jpg

Alvaro Morata wants Juventus to send a statement of intent against Genoa on Sunday after a poor start to the defence of their Serie A crown.

Massimiliano Allegri's men have taken just one point from a possible nine in the league this season, losing ground on their title rivals and slumping to 16th in the table.

However, Allegri's men came alive in Europe on Tuesday as goals from Morata and Mario Mandzukic sealed a comeback victory over Premier League leaders Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium.

The close-season sale of Carlos Tevez has allowed further opportunities for Morata this term and the Spaniard is eager for more success at the Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris this weekend.

"The most important thing is that it has allowed us to get a win we needed and that should be a starting point," Morata told Sky and Mediaset.

"Our season starts now. We know that if Juve play at our best and play as a team we can beat anyone.

"It's not going to be easy against Genoa, but we have to do everything to keep winning. We have to give everything.

"It will be a great game in which we have to give everything to move up the table, because we haven't started in the best way.

"I think that’s normal though, because there have been a lot of changes in the team."

Genoa inflicted one of Juve's three Serie A defeats last term - Luca Antonini's late winner claiming the points on home soil - but Giampiero Gasperini's men have won just one of their opening three matches.

Paul Pogba is a doubt after missing training on Thursday with flu and Genoa forward Goran Pandev hopes his side can take advantage.

"We played two good matches without points and we want to get them on Sunday in front of our fans," Pandev told Premium Sport.

"Juventus are the strongest team in Italy and that is a reason to give everything.

"We are still at the beginning of the season and not everyone is at 100 per cent fit, but we are working and following the coach"

Gomez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chievo v Inter: Mancini calls for caution despite perfect start

18 September 2015 17:44

913186header.jpg

Roberto Mancini has refused to get carried away with Inter's unbeaten start to the Serie A campaign and warned his men to do the same ahead of Sunday's clash with Chievo.

After a disappointing 2014-15 season that saw Inter finish eighth in the league, Mancini's new-look side have made a promising start with a 100 per cent record from their opening three games.

Last weekend's 1-0 derby win over Milan ensured they sit two points clear at the top of the table, with an eight-point cushion over defending champions Juventus already.

However, Mancini has cooled talk of a Scudetto challenge ahead of what he expects to be a tough challenge against early-season surprise packages Chievo, who are second.

"Winning a derby is never easy and for us it was a complex and difficult game," Mancini told Corriere dello Sport.

"Clearly now we are very happy, but I don't believe that the euphoria that everyone has can be a danger because we know well that Chievo will not let us win.

"They are in great form, they've started the season well and are always difficult to deal with. That's why we have to be very alert.

"We are on the right track, but to build a team takes time and we must continue to work well. The mentality doesn't change in a day, but after months and months of work."

Chievo are Inter's nearest rivals heading in to the next round of fixtures after an impressive start to their season that has seen victory over Lazio and a share of the spoils with Juve.

It is a surprise upturn in form for Rolando Maran's side after they only won one of their final eight games in 2014-15, seeing them finish in 14th place, nine points clear of the bottom three.

Valter Birsa has been integral to their change of fortunes after being transformed from a winger to trequartista by Maran, the Slovenia international already netting twice this season.

Clashes with Inter have not brought much joy for Chievo, though, with only four wins from their 26 meetings and they have failed to score in six of the last nine of those.