• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ramos hails 'great defence' as Real Madrid beat Bayern

376915_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 23, 2014 10:26:00 PM

The Real Madrid stopper was delighted with the result in the semi-final first leg and paid tribute to Iker Casillas for his late save from Mario Gotze

Real Madrid centre-back Sergio Ramos believes a brilliant defensive display was the key to their 1-0 victory over Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

Carlo Ancelotti's men held off the European champions' attacking threat at Santiago Bernabeu, with the visitors failing to convert their possession into meaningful chances as Karim Benzema's early goal settled the Champions League semi-final first leg.

Ramos, 28, believes Madrid did well to get the one-goal win and praised goalkeeper Iker Casillas for his late save to deny Roten substitute Maro Gotze an equaliser.

"We worked hard, it was an intense game," Ramos told Canal Plus after the match. "We put in a great defensive game.

"We didn't hand them possession, they are a great side. With this support at the Bernabeu it makes everything easier though.

"We're used to super saves with Casillas now! He's such a good goalkeeper.

"We'll go to Munich humbly, with this good result, but with hope."

Real Madrid lost 2-0 when they were last in Germany earlier this month as they edged past Borussia Dortmund in the quarter-finals 3-2 on aggregate.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There is no better team than Real Madrid, admits Guardiola

394665_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 23, 2014 11:30:00 PM

The ex-Barcelona boss was unable to continue his excellent record at Santiago Bernabeu but insists he was proud of his players despite their defeat

Bayern Munich head coach Pep Guardiola claims there is "no better team than Real Madrid" after his side were beaten 1-0 in the Champions League at Santiago Bernabeu.

The Spaniard had never lost as a coach at Madrid's stadium until Wednesday, when Karim Benzema's strike was enough to put the reigning European champions to the sword in the opening leg of their semi-final clash.

Guardiola insists he was proud of the way his players approached the game but acknowledged their lack of cutting edge ultimately cost them against Carlo Ancelotti's side.

"We lost," Guardiola said to Sky after the match. "It was a difficult game, but there is still a second leg and we will try to get every player in shape for that.

"Madrid have always played like this. They are so quick. They let you play and wait for you to lose the ball. You have to be very neat and very organised, and we did that. I am very, very proud of my team.

"There is no better team than Madrid and we just lacked a goal. Now we have to score two or three and we will work towards that."

There was a late shout for a penalty in Bayern's favour from Thomas Muller when the German forward went down under a challenge from Xabi Alonso as he tried to turn inside the area in the dying minutes.

However, the former Barcelona boss responded "no, I don't think so," when asked if a spot kick should have been given.

The Bavarians will aim to turn the tie on its head when they host Madrid in the return leg next Tuesday.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti: Bayern’s slow pace suited Real Madrid

394667_heroa.jpg

By Robin Bairner
Apr 23, 2014 11:00:00 PM

The Italian believes the Champions League holders played into his side's hands and praised Cristiano Ronaldo for his efforts upon his return from injury

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti admitted that the slow pace suited his side after they defeated Bayern Munich 1-0 in their Champions League semi-final first leg at Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday.

The hosts saw little of the ball over the course of the game but were a persistent menace on the break, and it was on such a raid Karim Benzema scored the only goal of the match in the first half.

For the Italian coach, it was an evening that went according to plan, even though he was frustrated at the nervous opening from his side.

"When they slowed their pace we were better," he admitted to Canal + after the game. "We made some great counterattacks. Teamwork was so important, and [Fabio] Coentrao and [Dani] Carvajal were helped by Isco and [Angel] Di Maria.

"I'm happy about everything, even if the game was hard. Sometimes we suffered but we played well on the attack.

"We began a bit shy, being too defensive and having some problems."

Cristiano Ronaldo recovered from injury to feature for 70 minutes of the match while Gareth Bale would only play a late cameo due to flu, yet the coach was pleased with how his side coped without the two attacking stars in tandem.

"Without Bale and Cristiano at their perfect level, it is not easy. Cristiano did some excellent work," he said.

Despite his side's lead, the former AC Milan and Juventus boss was unwilling to predict a straightforward passage to the final as they look ahead to the return leg at the Allianz Arena.

"The second leg will be tough and we must play with the kind of confidence we showed tonight."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City & PSG will not be banned from Champions League over FFP, insists Platini

394873_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Apr 24, 2014 11:25:00 AM

The Frenchman has made it clear that there will be tough sanctions for those who don't comply with the rules, but no teams will be excluded from European competitions

Uefa president Michel Platini has insisted that Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City will not be banned from the Champions League if they are to be found guilty of breaching Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

The European governing body’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) met earier this month to investigate a swathe of cases relating to possible breaches, with the two heavyweights believed to be among the total 76 clubs under the spotlight.

CFCB will announce its findings early May, but Platini has already made it clear that PSG and City will not be expelled from European competitions.

"The first decisions will be announced in early May, but you will be disappointed if you are looking for blood and tears. There will be tough sanctions, but no teams will be excluded from European competitions," Platini told Le Parisien.

"It's not my job to talk about individual clubs, but let's say that PSG have a rather unique and atypical economic model. Their contract with QTA is innovative to say the least. It is up to the experts to say whether it is valid, though.

"I don't know whether PSG comply with FFP. I know that there was no problem in France, but the rules are different domestically."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="//cdn.playwire.com/bolt/js/embed.min.js" data-width="undefined" data-height="undefined" data-config="http://cdn.playwire.com/v2/14907/config/812948.json" data-publisher-id="14907" data-video-id="812948"></script>

Real Madrid 1 : 0 Bayern Munich

All Goals and Match Highlights 23.04.2014

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I like Pep's style' - Ancelotti defends Bayern tactics

394673_heroa.jpg

Apr 25, 2014 1:50:00 PM

The Real Madrid boss praised the ex-Barcelona boss amid criticism, while rejecting the possibility of ditching the Blancos to coach Manchester United

Carlo Ancelotti has defended the style of play that Pep Guardiola's Bayern Munich deployed against Real Madrid in midweek.

The Spaniard has received criticism for the tactics he employed in the sides' Champions League meeting on Wednesday, which the Blancos won 1-0 despite the Bavarians enjoying plenty of possession.

Ex-Barcelona boss Guardiola has already secured the Bundesliga crown in his first season at Bayern and Ancelotti cannot understand the vitriol regarding his opposite number's style, though is keen to focus on Saturday's clash with Osasuna.

"I like Guardiola's style of play. He introduced new ideas with a clear style in football. He has a clear identity," Ancelotti told reporters.

"I like Pep's style a lot," the Italian told reporters. "He has brought new ideas to football, creating a style at Barca that he is now implementing at Bayern, although there it's a bit more difficult.

"The side has the identity of their coach. He is doing a good job. But we are not focused on the match in Munich yet. Tomorrow's match is very important and it comes first."

Ancelotti has been one of the numerous names linked with the vacant seat at Manchester United following David Moyes' sacking, but the former Chelsea manager stressed he has no intention of bailing on the Santiago Bernabeu side.

"Every year this happens and I say the same thing," he continued. "I'm happy here: I'm lucky enough to be at the world's best club. I respect Man Utd, and what has happened with Moyes, but I'm here."

Ancelotti will take his Madrid side to the Allianz Arena on Tuesday, following Saturday's clash with Osasuna, with a 1-0 lead to defend if they want to reach the final to face either Chelsea or Atletico Madrid.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scolari: I hope Atletico knock Chelsea out of Champions League

388300_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 24, 2014 9:29:00 PM

The 65-year-old would rather not see the Blues' Selecao stars - David Luiz, Oscar, Willian and Ramires - play in the final, just over two weeks before the World Cup starts

Brazil boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has revealed that he hopes Atletico Madrid knock former club Chelsea out of this season's Champions League.

The Blues battled their way to a 0-0 draw in the first leg of their semi-final tie with the Rojiblancos at the Vicente Calderon on Tuesday night, thus putting Jose Mourinho's men in a good position to progress in next week's return at Stamford Bridge.

However, Scolari has freely admitted that he hopes Chelsea bow out for purely selfish reasons, as he would not like to see the English outfit's Brazil contingent - David Luiz, Oscar, Willian and Ramires - feature in the Champions League final, on May 24, just over two weeks before the start of the World Cup.

"To us, it would be better if Atletico eliminated Chelsea, because then I'd have four well-rested players," the Selecao coach told reporters on Thursday.

Indeed, Scolari confirmed that Chelsea defender Luiz will be one of the first names on his team sheet for this summer's World Cup.

"My chosen leaders are David Luiz, Julio César and Fred," he explained.

"I had already chosen them and I've been talking to them a little more during some trips.

"I have no doubts about my final list, but I will wait until the end of the leagues.

"I could have some last-minute problems, like [Napoli's] Henrique, who was in an accident.

"Not even [Carlos Alberto] Parreira, [Flavio] Murtosa or the chairman [Jose Maria Marin, CBF president] know about the final list.

"But we shouldn't have many surprises. You [the journalists] would probably guess 22 out of the 23."

Scolari also insisted that he has no doubts over the form of Neymar, who has been plagued by injuries, fluctuating form and off-the-field problems in his first season at Barcelona.

"Neymar will be very well received on the national team," the World Cup winner stated.

"My analysis of Neymar is very different from that of some Spanish critics.

"The moment his club is going through right now is not good but Brazil's style of play is very dfferent."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola: Bayern need to find tiki-taka balance

389703_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Apr 25, 2014 6:24:00 PM

The Spaniard has defended his tactics following widespread criticism of the Bavarians' Champions League performance at Real Madrid in midweek

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola has admitted that he needs to merge his tiki-taka style with German football roots to reap rewards and popularity.

The Bavarians' toothless performance as they were beaten 1-0 at Real Madrid on Wednesday led to heavy criticism towards the Spaniard's possession-obsessed tactics, while the Blancos were able to win with significantly less focus on having the ball.

Guardiola stressed his belief that his team are not weak, but accepted that they must be more offensive-minded when Carlo Ancelotti's men come to visit for the Champions League semi-final second leg on Tuesday.

"I know that my philosophy is different from the typical German one," he told reporters on Friday. "But Bayern wanted me because of my style.

"I've won a titles here too now - we won the Bundesliga in March, for example - so I believe that we are not so bad.

"We must keep the passion we offered in Madrid. We have to react, though, as we are 1-0 behind. We need to attack more and I need to find a balance between my ideas and the footballing culture in Germany."

Bayern face Werder Bremen on Saturday but, with the title already won, the club's focus will undoubtedly be on turning the European tussle with Madrid around next week.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern defending worries Pizarro ahead of Real clash

396024_heroa.jpg

Dejan Kalinic
Apr 27, 2014 7:40:00 AM

The 35-year-old feels such defending on Tuesday men will see them exit the Champions League at the hands of Carlo Ancelotti's men

Bayern Munich striker Claudio Pizarro is worried about his side's defending of counter-attacks ahead of their clash against Real Madrid.

The Bundesliga champions suffered a 1-0 loss in Madrid in the first-leg of the Champions League semi-final, and host the Spanish giants on Tuesday.

Bayern prepared for the return leg with 5-2 win over Werder Bremen, but their defensive problems were highlighted as they twice had to come from behind in the game.

Both goals Bayern conceded were on the break, and Pizarro said the same mistakes would be just as costly against Real.

"We conceded two goals via counter-attacks in the first half. We can't afford to let that happen against Real, so we'll have to be on our toes," the Peruvian said.

"We played well in the second half and managed to score the goals to win the game. It was important that we won the match today and I hope we can do the same on Tuesday."

Bayern attacker Thomas Muller preferred to look ahead, with his team concentrated on the Champions League having sealed the Bundesliga title in March.

"I don't want to go into great detail about our win today. It's all about Tuesday's match for us, and we need all the support we can get from everyone at the club," he said.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Strunz: Madrid will offer Bayern similar test to Bremen

395828_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Apr 27, 2014 11:20:00 AM

The former midfielder expects the Spanish outfit to play defensively on Tuesday, posing a very similar challenge to Saturday's opponents Werder Bremen

Thomas Strunz believes Bayern Munich can look to break down Real Madrid in the same way they overcame Werder Bremen this weekend.

The Bavarians earned a 5-2 win on Saturday with Franck Ribery, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Arjen Robben all scoring while Claudio Pizarro scored two despite die Grun-Weissen twice taking a first-half lead through Theodor Gebre Selassie and Aaron Hunt.

Strunz feels that Bremen's counter-attacking style is akin to that of los Blancos and that Pep Guardiola's men can look to a similar blueprint for success when they take to the field for their Champions League semi-final second-leg on Tuesday.

"The game on Saturday against Werder Bremen [was] a good test for Bayern," the 46-year-old wrote for TZ.

"Werder play very defensively, waiting for the counter - as I expect Real Madrid to do on Tuesday. The Bavarians [could] crack a closely packed defence [against Bremen]. This did not work on Wednesday in Madrid.

"In my eyes, the main reason was that FCB has played from midfield to forward slowly and Mario Mandzukic lacked support in attack. The team was very aligned with Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Toni Kroos in the centre on ball control. I would have liked Thomas Müller there as an attacking midfielder.

"Because of the gameplay Bayern must still be satisfied being 1-0 down. Had Ronaldo and Di Maria taken their chances it could have been nasty. Bayern had at the Bernabeu an awful lot of possession, but within a safe range. [Iker] Casillas was called into action seriously by Mario Gotze only in the 84th minute."

Strunz remains confident that the Bavarians will progress to the Champions League final in Lisbon and believes he has identified the key elements needed to overturn the 1-0 loss in Madrid last week.

"In the second-leg die Roten must do the three things better to get to the final," he continued.

"Mandzukic must receive more support from the midfield to give more of a goal threat. Then the Bavarians will have to play much faster and purposeful forward. And finally Ribery and Robben must run in behind again create a wide threat."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ancelotti: Positive atmosphere can propel Madrid past Bayern

380297_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Apr 27, 2014 12:10:00 PM

Los Blancos boss believes his side can channel the buoyant mood at Santiago Bernabeu to overcome the Bavarians en route to a historic tenth Champions League crown

Carlo Ancelotti is confident that the air of positivity around Real Madrid is enough to inspire his side to victory over Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

Los Merengues head to Germany on Tuesday for their semi-final second leg with the Bundesliga champions, taking a 1-0 lead with them after Karim Benzema's goal at the Santiago Bernabeu last week.

Madrid warmed up for the clash with a comfortable 4-0 win over Osasuna, thanks to goals from Sergio Ramos, Daniel Carvajal and a Cristiano Ronaldo double, which Ancelotti felt was driven by his squad's sky-high morale.

"It is clear you can notice the good atmosphere in the club and with the fans," the 54-year-old told reporters after the game.

"As I said other times, this is important, it is very important that the atmosphere carries on like this to the following matches.

Los Blancos have been looking to add a tenth Champions League title to their collection since overcoming Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 in the 2002 final in Glasgow and Ancelotti is adamant that his squad can achieve the fabled Decima.

"Everyone is looking forward to see what happens and with this feeling the team can do more," he said.

"I am sure my line up in Munich is going to be made by players that really are looking forward to it. We are not going to invent anything in particular for this game.

"Everyone can be calm, because we are going to prepare for the match well. I trust a lot in our player and I think everyone has to trust them."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Decima has become an obsession, admits Ronaldo

394844_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Apr 25, 2014 7:54:00 PM

The Portuguese has revealed that he has put all thoughts of the World Cup to one side on account of his desire to help end Los Blancos' 12-year wait for a 10th European title

Real Madrid ace Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted that winning 'La Decima' has become an "obsession" for him - but a positive one.

Los Blancos are the most successful club in the history of the European Cup but they have not won the Champions League since 2002.

However, Carlo Ancelotti's men will take a 1-0 advantage into the second leg of their semi-final tie with titleholders Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday night, and Ronaldo admits that he and his team-mates are desperate to end Madrid's wait for a 10th trophy, explaining that even this summer's World Cup is an afterthought for them right now.

"La Decima has become an obsession," the attacker told reporters on Friday. "But a good obsession.

"The World Cup won't influence anything in the remainder of the season; I'm fully focused on the league and Champions League.

"We won the [Copa del Rey] and we want to win the league and the Champions League. The latter is the most difficult trophy to win."

Indeed, after a fascinating first leg in which the home side had to make do with just a 28 per cent share of possession at the Santiago Bernabeu, Ronaldo is expecting Madrid to once again try to make the most of their blistering pace on the break when the two sides collide again, this time in Bavaria.

"It will be a similar game," the 29-year-old predicted. "Bayern are an excellent side, we have a small advantage and we will try to use it.

"It will be hard, but we have our weapons, the side is confident and we will try to score."

Ronaldo also confessed that he is drive by the fact that the tournament decider will be staged in his native Portugal.

"To play the final in Lisbon would be a dream," he admitted. "I don't want to think about the final because there's still a second leg to play, but we are dreaming about being in Lisbon and I think we can achieve it."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema will be fit for Bayern - Ancelotti

379677_heroa.jpg

Apr 26, 2014 10:42:00 PM

The trio of attackers have been fitness uncertainties in the past week but the Real Madrid boss expects his first-choice trident to be in his next XI

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed key Real Madrid trio Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema will face Bayern Munich on Tuesday.

Ronaldo was the only one of the three to start Saturday's 4-0 rout of strugglers Osasuna in La Liga at the Bernabeu after stating he was in "perfect condition" before the game.

The Ballon d'Or holder proved it with a sparkling show in which he grabbed a brilliant double before Sergio Ramos and Daniel Carvajal got on the scoresheet.

However, missing from the line-up was world-record signing Bale, with the forward still feeling the effects of illness, while striker Benzema was only named on the bench as he is nursing a slight hamstring problem.

Ancelotti allayed fears over the fitness of the attacking threesome, and stated all three will play a part at the Allianz Arena when Madrid look to reach the final of the Champions League, with the Liga giants leading the European champions 1-0 from the semi-final first leg.

"Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema will play on Tuesday," the Italian told reporters. "The sooner we score, the better.

"Cristiano is fit. He had more confidence and is totally fit now. Bale felt weak and we preferred that he trained individually on Saturday. He will be ready on Tuesday.

"Benzema is improving, he will train on Sunday and should be ready on Tuesday."

Alvaro Morata, who has been linked with the likes of Arsenal and Inter, led the Blancos' line in Benzema's absence and Ancelotti is hopeful the young striker will remain in Madrid.

"Morata worked hard but it wasn't easy for him to go through Osasuna's defence," he added. "Morata is important for us and we need him to stay with Benzema."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"We'll see if the trees burn" - Marcelo hits back at Rummenigge

366748_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Apr 27, 2014 10:08:00 AM

The Real Madrid full-back was delighted to make his comeback from injury in a 4-0 win over Osasuna but immediately turned his attention to Tuesday's Champions League encounter

Real Madrid's Marcelo hit back at Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and stressed that his side must be relaxed and show respect to their Champions League semi-final opponents.

Los Blancos head into their last-four tie with the Bundesliga giants holding a 1-0 lead buthave been warned by Rummenigge that the atmosphere in Bayern's stadium will make it "hot enough for the trees to burn in Munich."

And Marcelo insisted his side recognise the danger that awaits them in Tuesday's clash at the Allianz Arena with the German champions but took a sly dig at the Bayern chief.

“We are good," the Brazilian told reporters after the game. "We now have to rest and think in the important game on Tuesday."

"The next game is always the most important and that’s how I see it. We have a chance to go through. We have to go into the game relaxed, with humility and respect for the opponent. We will see what happens and if the trees burn or not."

The 25-year-old defender made his first start since suffering a hamstring injury three days after his side's 5-0 win over Rayo Vallecano at the end of March, and spoke of his excitement a making a swift return to action.

"I was eager to return," he continued.

"I wanted to help the side and thanks to God, the physios and doctors that have helped me and ensured I'm 100%. When I’m available to help the side and the boss doesn't pick me it’s normal I'm not happy and I want to play. The manager decides and I want to play as many games as I possibly can.

"

Marcelo was also keen to pay tribute to Tito Vilanova after the former Barcelona boss passed away on Friday.

"It was a great shame. He was an example to football. I want to send a big hug to his friends and family."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Schwarzer swansong proves to be Mourinho's latest Chelsea masterstroke

349817_heroa.jpg

Apr 28, 2014 12:41:00 AM

Bringing in the veteran goalkeeper has proved to be a crucial move for the Portuguese coach after the Australian excelled against Liverpool and Atletico Madrid

COMMENT
By Iain Strachan

Chelsea have spent more than €83 million on Andre Schurrle, Willian and Nemanja Matic since Jose Mourinho rejoined the club, as well as bringing in Samuel Eto'o and Mohamed Salah on what are sure to be handsome wages.

But the signing that has - in the last week, at least - kept the Blues in the hunt for the Premier League title and Champions League glory was the unheralded free transfer of veteran goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Having left Fulham at the end of last season, Australian supporters were keen to see the then-active Socceroo, with the 2014 World Cup on the horizon, secure another spot as a first-choice No.1.

Premier League and Championship clubs were mentioned, and a move to the A-League was even mooted in some quarters.

When the former Middlesbrough stalwart surprisingly popped up at Stamford Bridge, the move was greeted with a mixture of delight and apprehension. Fans were pleased to see a great of modern Australian football join a genuine powerhouse club, particularly after being denied the chance to sign for Arsenal in 2010.

But there were also significant doubts about how much playing time he would receive. They were valid concerns indeed, with Schwarzer, until last weekend, having made just a handful of appearances in all competitions. Such was the impact of his new watching brief that he called time on his international career in November, pre-empting a possible exclusion from Ange Postecoglou's World Cup squad.

Schwarzer finally made his Premier League debut for Chelsea in the surprise loss at home to Sunderland last Saturday. The result aside, it was a good job the 41-year-old was afforded an opportunity to become reacquainted with the demands of top-flight football.

Three days later he was called on to replace an injured Petr Cech in the cauldron of a Champions League semi-final away to Atletico Madrid, acquitting himself well as the west London side escaped from Vicente Calderon with a 0-0 draw.

On Sunday he underlined the enormous value of having a trustworthy back-up goalkeeper, producing an assured display - and a handful of top-drawer saves - to deny Liverpool in a 2-0 win at Anfield which has thrown open the title race.

Matic, Schurrle, Willian and Salah all played a part in the smash-and-grab raid, but they couldn't have done it without Schwarzer between the sticks. Would the questionable Hilario, a peculiar relic of Mourinho's first spell in charge, have performed so effectively with equally little match-practice? Doubtful.

Long-suffering Liverpool supporters have more reason than ever to curse Mourinho after the Portuguese orchestrated a defensive, counterattacking masterclass to potentially wreck their cherished title dream.

But they shouldn't only blame his time-wasting tactics and uncanny ability to shutdown even the most free-flowing of opponents. The roots of the Reds' downfall on Sunday can be traced all the way back to the shrewdest decision of all - handing a one-year deal to one of the Premier League's oldest and safest pair of hands.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone wary of Chelsea depth

28 April 2014

445205header.jpg

Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone is wary of Chelsea's strength in depth ahead of their UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg.

The Argentinian led his side to a 1-0 win at Valencia on Sunday - Raul Garcia's strike shortly before half-time opening up a four-point gap over second-placed Barcelona.

Like Atleti, Chelsea are embroiled in a domestic title fight, and they produced an impressive display at Anfield on Sunday to beat Premier League leaders Liverpool 2-0.

Much had been made of the selection dilemma facing Jose Mourinho for that match, with the likes of Petr Cech, John Terry and Eden Hazard all injured, and the Portuguese indeed opted to rotate his options for the Anfield clash.

And, the fact that the London outfit put in such an assured display with an apparently weakened side has only served as a warning to Simeone and his men.

"It is clear Chelsea has a huge team because they won despite making a lot of changes," he said.

"That means we are going to play against a powerful team, something we knew.

"So they will make a lot of problems for us next Wednesday."

The sides enter Wednesday's second leg at Stamford Bridge with the score poised at 0-0, meaning Atleti would progress to a first Champions League final in 40 years with a score draw.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA Champions League Preview: Bayern Munich v Real Madrid

27 April 2014

cristianoronaldo_1sygxxmnzhda71ef4dtcnz232v.jpg

Real Madrid visit holders Bayern Munich on the cusp of a return to the UEFA Champions League final for the first time in 12 years.

The Spanish side are the most successful team in the history of the competition, winning it nine times, but their quest for a 10th has been a story of near-misses.

Real have fallen at the semi-final stage in each of the last three seasons, twice coming unstuck against German opposition.

Borussia Dortmund beat Real 4-3 on aggregate last year in the semi-finals, while Bayern eliminated them on penalties in the last four of the 2011-12 campaign.

Real approach Tuesday's semi-final second leg at the Allianz Arena with a 1-0 lead though, following a strong performance in the opener in the Spanish capital.

Karim Benzema scored the only goal of the game, giving Carlo Ancelotti's side a precious advantage, but despite that, they will be wary of a Bayern side that has been imperious for much of the campaign under former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola.

The Bundesliga champions are on course for five trophies in Guardiola's maiden season after winning the UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup, while they battle Borussia Dortmund in the final of the DFB-Pokal.

Bayern have suffered just four home defeats since the start of last season, with Manchester City and Arsenal the only Champions League teams to taste success at the Allianz Arena in that period.

Yet Real coach Ancelotti insists they will go into the game with confidence as they aim to secure a treble in the Italian's first season in charge.

"I have every confidence in the players and I think everyone should do," Ancelotti said in quotes reported by the Spanish press.

"The plan in Munich is to score, rather than defend."

Ancelotti revealed on Saturday that Real's attacking trio of Benzema, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, the latter who missed Saturday's 4-0 win over Osasuna through illness, will all feature in Munich.

Alvaro Arbeloa, Jese Rodriguez and Sami Khedira (all knee) are Real's only absentees.

Defender Rafinha is available for Bayern after serving a domestic suspension at the weekend but, while Thiago Alcantara has returned to training, Holger Badstuber (knee), Xherdan Shaqiri (thigh) and Tom Starke (elbow) remain sidelined.

Bayern have been touted as favourites to retain the trophy throughout the tournament, and Guardiola is adamant the five-time champions can overturn the first-leg deficit.

"I have total faith in my team," Guardiola told the club's official website. "We can do it if we all pull together."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola seeks more threatening Bayern display

28 April 2014

445303header.jpg

Pep Guardiola has called on Bayern Munich to be more threatening against Real Madrid as they bid to reach the UEFA Champions League final.

Guardiola's men trail 1-0 from the first leg of their semi-final tie at the Bernabeu, a game in which the holders were not at their free-flowing best in attack.

Bayern will aim to turn that deficit around in Tuesday's second leg at the Allianz Arena and keep their quest to win five trophies in a season intact.

However, that is likely to be no easy feat versus a Real team that, like Bayern, has only suffered one defeat in the competition this season.

And Guardiola knows the Bavarians will need to produce more going forward in order to seal progression to the tournament showpiece at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on May 24.

"We're 1-0 down, but nothing's decided yet," Guardiola said. "We'll need to score two or three goals though.

"We need to be more threatening in the return leg. I haven't decided yet what changed I will make."

Guardiola is wary of the threat posed by Real, who are expected to have their attacking trio of Karim Benzema, Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale available to feature.

Bale is poised to return after missing the 4-0 win over Osasuna through illness, but Guardiola is not concerned by the presence of the Wales winger, and is hopeful that the support of the home fans will see them through to the final.

"To me it makes no difference whether Real have Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale available," Guardiola added.

"I can't imagine Real's approach will be all about defending their result. Real have quick players which makes them very dangerous opponents.

"We can't do it alone. I'm confident that the fans will be behind us tomorrow (Tuesday).

"But at the end of the day, it's down to us. The fans can't score a goal."