• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ UEFA Champions League 2013/2014 ║

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Schalke lose Höger and Huntelaar

Published: Monday 21 October 2013, 13.45CET

FC Schalke 04 team-mates Marco Höger and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar have been ruled out for the remainder of the group stage at least after undergoing knee surgery today.

1986172_w2.jpg

Marco Höger (centre) is unlikely to play again this season

FC Schalke 04 will be without Marco Höger and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar for a significant spell after both players underwent knee surgery today.

Midfielder Höger partially tore cruciate ligaments in his right knee during Saturday's 3-2 Bundesliga win at TSV Eintracht Braunschweig. The industrious 24-year-old featured in each of Schalke's opening two UEFA Champions League Group E games and is likely to be sidelined for the rest of the 2013/14 campaign.

Netherlands forward Huntelaar, meanwhile, is expected to be out of action for the remainder of 2013 having damaged ligaments in his right knee. The 30-year-old has not appeared for Schalke since August.

Early pacesetters Schalke host Chelsea FC in Group E on Tuesday night.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klopp: I’d pay to watch Dortmund play Arsenal

330390_heroa.jpg

By Alex Moretto53
Oct 21, 2013 9:46:00 PM

The 46-year-old is looking forward to what should be an exciting encounter as the Premier League leaders play host to last year’s Champions League runners-up

Jurgen Klopp is expecting a thrilling match when Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal collide at the Emirates on Tuesday.

The Premier League leaders go into the Champions League Group F clash on a 12-game unbeaten run, while the visitors have just two losses in their last 15 games.

Dortmund have lost both of their previous trips to the Emirates, so while he is anticipating an exciting encounter, Klopp concedes his team will be underdogs considering Arsenal’s superb form.

“Arsenal are the favourites,” he told reporters.

“Their style was never out of date, and now they attack again with the right players at the right place.

“It’s Arsene Wenger football. When I watch football, this is the beautiful style I can watch.

“If I were to spend money for a ticket, it would certainly be for the game tomorrow.

“We need to make it one of our best games. Otherwise, we have no chance to be successful here.”

Dortmund have opened the group stage with one win and one loss, at Napoli, while Arsenal can distance themselves at the top of the group with a win, as they have managed to obtain all six points from their first two matches.

“The Champions League is pure and there is no group in which one team gets 18 points,” added Klopp.

“If we get something here, then that would be great. But nothing [in the group] will be decided if we don’t.”

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Celtic and Ajax have no margin for error

Published: Monday 21 October 2013, 20.08CET

Celtic FC and AFC Ajax can stay in sight of FC Barcelona and AC Milan atop Group H with a first win on Tuesday but defeat in Glasgow could end their last-16 hopes.

by Emmanuelle Hingant
from Glasgow

2012765_w2.jpg

Ajax coach Frank de Boer talking to the press on Monday

Neither Celtic FC nor AFC Ajax have won yet in UEFA Champions League Group H but Tuesday's meeting in Glasgow gives them a chance to get in touch with FC Barcelona and AC Milan at the top.

Celtic are a point adrift of Ajax having lost twice, but while manager Neil Lennon has great respect for the visitors' traditions, he is ready for his team to "impose themselves". That task is made more difficult by the absence of Scott Brown and Kris Commons through suspension and injury, though it is Giorgios Samaras that Frank de Boer has identified as their danger man. The Dutch title holders, he stressed, cannot afford to lose.

Celtic
Neil Lennon, manager

I watched [Ajax at FC Twente] on Saturday night and they came on very strong in the second half. They probably deserved to get something out of the game. They're going to give us problems, they're going to move the ball.

But we're ready, we're looking forward to it. We know what's at stake. But the fact that we're at home gives us a slight heads-up. It's not [a must-win game], it's a must-not-get-beat. I'm confident with this team that we can perform away from home as well. Winning the game would put us in a very good position within the group. I think losing the game will probably end our aspirations of trying to qualify.

Ajax don't change the way they play in terms of formation, they do their personnel. They have players that are flexible, that can play in different positions. They're very confident, they have great belief in what they're trying to do. And Frank [de Boer] has great belief in his players. They never panic, they keep playing the same way.

They are a typical Ajax team I suppose. It's a philosophy they've had for a long, long time. Look at the personnel they have in the background: [Marc] Overmars, [Edwin] van der Sar, Dennis Bergkamp, Ronald de Boer as well. They have a lot of experience and quality as players and they pass that on to the young players

I hope [to have more possession] but Ajax keep the ball very well. We should have a fair share of the ball tomorrow night. If it's 0-0 and we score in the 94th minute, I'll be happy with that. I want to get a foothold on the game early, and not let Ajax take the tempo or take the flow of the game. We're at home and we have to impose ourselves and play the way we want to play.

Weekend result
Saturday: Hibernian FC 1-1 Celtic FC (Heffernan 18; Forrest 77)

Forster; Fisher, Ambrose, Van Dijk, Mulgrew; Commons (Forrest 28), Brown, Kayal (Ledley 68), Samaras; Stokes, Pukki (Amido 86).

• Celtic came from behind to extend their unbeaten league run to 12 matches, a sequence dating back to last term, and maintain their record of having scored in every Premiership game this season. Darnell Fisher, 19, made his first-team debut at right-back in place of the injured Mikael Lustig. Joe Ledley made his return from injury as a substitute.

Team news
Commons limped off midway through the first half on Saturday with a suspected hamstring strain and will miss out. Brown is suspended, while Adam Matthews (shoulder) and Derk Boerrigter (ankle) are also unavailable. Lustig (hip) and Emilio Izaguirre (virus) could be fit

Ajax
Frank de Boer, coach

It's obviously always nice to win and to lose is the worse option, but a draw could be enough because then we play Celtic at the Amsterdam ArenA. If we win, it could be very difficult for Celtic to get close to second place and if we lose, Celtic take a great advantage. We're playing for second place.

The players have to enjoy this kind of atmosphere [at Celtic Park]. When you're young, you want to play in stadiums like this, in that kind of atmosphere. You have to prepare yourself to perform better. If you play sub-standard then maybe you're not good enough to play at this level. You can be nervous when the referee kicks off, but you have to get rid of your nerves and enjoy the great stadium.

[As a player with Rangers FC], I remember the great atmosphere and rivalry between the clubs. I played against [Henrik] Larsson – he was a pain in the backside. I still remember the atmosphere, the people shouting at you. For me, it was a great adventure. But I hope luck is on my side. We're getting better every match and the results will soon follow if we keep on playing well like that. There's a great chance it'll come tomorrow.

Celtic are favourites. The level between both clubs is pretty even but they're playing at home with the fans behind them. Samaras is a key player with his height and strength. If they can't build from the back, the first ball will be for Samaras and then they'll fight for the second phase. He's so strong, it's almost impossible to win the first ball, the header from Samaras. You have to be very good to win the second.

Weekend result
Saturday: FC Twente 1-1 AFC Ajax (Castaignos 22; Sigthórsson 81)

Cillessen; Van Rhijn (Schöne 71), Veltman, Denswil, Boilesen; De Jong, Blind, Serero; Andersen (De Sa 81), Sigthórsson (Hoesen 87), Fischer.

• Kolbeinn Sigthórsson's third goal in as many appearances for club and country was not enough to earn Ajax a first win in five Eredivisie away games this term.

Team news
Niklas Moisander, an absentee at the weekend, faces a late fitness test on a knee complaint and De Boer says his experience is "very important". Ricardo van Rhijn has a niggle, too, so Ajax have travelled with 19 players. Lerin Duarte (ankle), Ruben Ligeon (toe) and Bojan Krkić (hamstring) are not among them.

Match fact

• Celtic got the better of Ajax when the clubs last met in the 2000/01 third qualifying round. Martin O'Neill's Celtic won the first leg 3-1 in Amsterdam, with Bobby Petta (7) and Didier Agathe (19) scoring early and Chris Sutton (55) adding a third after Shota Arveladze (40) had pulled a goal back.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All or nothing for Marseille as Napoli come calling

Published: Monday 21 October 2013, 20.59CET

After two losses from two, Olympique de Marseille are fighting for their UEFA Champions League lives as they welcome a SSC Napoli team stung by a weekend setback.

by Sébastien Blanchard
from Marseille

1997044_w2.jpg

"We still have hope," says Marseille coach Élie Baup

It is all or nothing for Olympique de Marseille on Tuesday as they fight for their UEFA Champions League lives at home to SSC Napoli.

The French side have lost two out of two in Group F and another defeat would leave them six points adrift of second spot with three matches to play. Coach Élie Baup says his players know what is at stake but insists that hope and spirits are still high. His Napoli counterpart, Rafael Benítez, meanwhile, warned his players to be wary of the wounded animal as he targets three "very important" points for a team knocked off their stride on Saturday with a 2-0 loss at AS Roma.

Marseille
Élie Baup, coach

The squad have been showing a lot of intensity and involvement in their work; we are in good spirits. Tomorrow we will have to produce a good performance, play some good football and get a result. We will keep an eye on what is happening in the other match but it is up to us to play our own game.

Napoli are a very quick team that play well going forward. They know how to create situations quickly, on the break. They are a team full of great players but we will give everything to win. The important thing is to keep faith that we can qualify. We still have hope; we will give everything to do it.

Weekend result
Friday: OGC Nice 1-0 Marseille (Cvitanich 40)

Mandanda; Fanni, N'Koulou, Mendes (Diawara 8), Morel (Mendy 70); Romao, Imbula; Thauvin (Khalifa 63), Valbuena, A Ayew; Gignac.

• Defeat on the French Riviera was OM's third in succession in all competitions, a run that started on matchday two.

Team news
Centre-back Lucas Mendes has been ruled out with an ankle injury sustained in the early stages of Friday's game while Saber Khalifa is sidelined with a calf problem. Kassim Abdallah and Dimitri Payet are available.

Napoli
Rafael Benítez, coach

We have analysed our game in Rome and there are a lot of positives to draw from it. We have a strong team with a lot of character and I am convinced that we will show that on the pitch [on Tuesday night]. It is important to both teams to win, and we have to make sure the result goes our way.

Marseille have lost three games in a row so it will be even more difficult for us. They will want to prove themselves and show they can win the game, but our determination will shine through. We are in the so-called 'group of death'. Our season does not depend on [Tuesday's game] but this group might and it will be very important to take the three points.

Weekend result
Friday: AS Roma 2-0 Napoli (Pjanić 45+4 71pen)

Reina; Maggio, Albiol, Britos (Cannavaro 45), Mesto; Inler (Dzemaili 82), Behrami; Callejón, Hamšík, Insigne; Pandev (Higuaín 68).

• Napoli failed to score for the first time in the league this season as Roma stretched their winning start in Serie A to eight matches. Substitute Paolo Cannavaro was booked for the foul which led to Pjanić's opener, a free-kick, and again for conceding a second-half penalty that brought the second. Napoli are now five points adrift of the leaders.

Team news
Raúl Albiol and Gonzalo Higuaín recovered from thigh injuries to feature at the Stadio Olimpico, the latter as a substitute, while Christian Maggio (knee) played for the first time since matchday one. However, Miguel Britos hurt his collarbone and, like, Camilo Zúñiga, who has had knee surgery, has been ruled out of the OM tie.

Match fact
• The clubs have never met before. Napoli, in only their second UEFA Champions League group stage campaign, have not encountered French opponents since the 1992/93 UEFA Cup second round when a 0-0 draw away to Paris Saint-Germain FC followed a 2-0 home defeat in which George Weah got both goals.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Keller cautious as Schalke welcome Chelsea

Published: Monday 21 October 2013, 20.26CET

FC Schalke 04 coach Jens Keller suggested he would settle for a draw when the Group E leaders entertain a Chelsea FC side still finding their feet according to José Mourinho.

by Steffen Potter
from Gelsenkirchen

2012645_w2.jpg

Jens Keller speaks to the media

Despite a desire to "win every game", FC Schalke 04 coach Jens Keller hinted that he would be content with a point when the Group E leaders host Chelsea FC. With several first-team players absent, the 42-year-old also bestowed praise on teenage midfielder Leon Goretzka, while José Mourinho is expecting a stern examination of his side's resolve.

Schalke
Jens Keller, coach

Both Arsenal and Chelsea are top English sides with enormous quality. We have taken a lot of confidence from recent results and performances in the Champions League over the past years. With the fans behind us, we want to give our best.

I have always said I want to win every game. However, a draw would be OK – we could certainly live with that. We have watched several Chelsea games. José Mourinho is a great coach with lots of qualities and he has achieved a lot. I have the utmost respect for him.

Every game you play influences the next one and a good performance in the Champions League gives you a boost. We are seeing Leon Goretzka's development as very positive. He has great ability and we will try and get him more involved with the first team. However, playing in the Bundesliga and playing in the Champions League is completely different, so we'll have to see.

Weekend result
Saturday: TSV Eintracht Braunschweig 2-3 FC Schalke 04 (Ademi 20, Bellarabi 59; Meyer 29, Goretzka 65, Neustädter 90+1)
Fährmann; Uchida, Höwedes, Felipe Santana, Aogo; Höger (Goretzka 36), Neustädter; Clemens (Kolasinac 88), Meyer (Fuchs 83), Draxler; Szalai.

• Twice behind, the Royal Blues were helped to victory by the first Bundesliga goal from 18-year-old Goretzka, a replacement for Marco Höger, who suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury.

Team news
"We are terribly disappointed about the injury to Marco Höger," said Keller, but he does expect to have Jermaine Jones, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Timo Hildebrand back.

Chelsea
José Mourinho, manager

It's not time to start worrying about the number of points we have just yet. Tomorrow we'll play our strongest opponents in the group and it won't be easy. [André] Schürrle still needs time to adapt to a different league but he is a good player and an honest kid, who wants to learn. Samuel Eto'o needs time. I have spoken to John Terry about him and we both agree he has great quality.

The profile of the team is different to when I was here before. The older players are at the best stage of their careers. At the same time, we have a lot of youngsters in the creative areas of the pitch. We used to be physically very strong but things are different now. We have to play a different kind of football with a different philosophy. I am building a new side and it's very enjoyable.

Weekend result
Saturday: Chelsea FC 4-1 Cardiff City AFC (Hazard 33 82, Eto'o 66, Oscar 78; Mutch 10)
Čech; Ivanović, Luiz, Terry, Bertrand (Torres 64); Ramires, Lampard; Willian, Mata (Oscar 59), Hazard; Eto'o (Azpilicueta 69).

• Eto'o scored his first goal for the club in Saturday's comeback win. Petr Čech made his 300th Premier League appearance as Mourinho's undefeated run at Stamford Bridge extended to 64 top-flight fixtures.

Team news
Fernando Torres returned at the weekend from a knee injury sustained at FC Steaua Bucureşti on matchday two, but Ashley Cole and Schürrle missed out and the England left-back has not travelled to Germany. Marco van Ginkel (knee ligament damage, 24 September) is expected to be out until March.

Match fact

• These teams last met in the 2007/08 group stage, with the game in Germany ending scoreless. Chelsea were 2-0 victors at Stamford Bridge with goals from Florent Malouda (4) and Didier Drogba (47).

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No excuse for slip-ups as Schennikov faces City

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 12.10CET

"We will not be looking to make excuses if things don't go well," said PFC CSKA Moskva's Georgi Schennikov as the Army Men await a muddy meeting with Manchester City FC.

by Aleksandr Ustinov
from Moscow

2009847_w2.jpg

Georgi Schennikov is expecting slick football - and a damp pitch - against City

The wettest September in 130 years in the Russian capital led to extreme measures – the Army Men played their UEFA Champions League matchday two fixture against FC Viktoria Plzeň nearly 650km from the capital in St Petersburg. However, they are back at the Arena Khimki for the Group D visit of City – though Schennikov still expects the going to be a little on the heavy side. "When I looked at it, it seemed fine, but today we will be training at our training ground," the 22-year-old explained. "It's playable and we will not be looking to make excuses if things don't go well for us."

Of more concern to the defender is CSKA's recent tendency to ship goals – they conceded three in a defeat by FC Spartak Moskva in the league, and in their matchday one loss at FC Bayern München, while their success against Plzeň was a little too close for comfort. "We have started to concede a lot of goals in our last few games," Schennikov said. "But we are looking ahead and want to concede fewer and try and keep more clean sheets."

That will be no easy task against Manuel Pellegrini's all-star City side, who scored three at Plzeň in their previous Group D away game and are eager to make amends after being taken apart at home by Bayern last time out. "They have got a word-class lineup with very few weaknesses," conceded Schennikov. "Their forwards particularly impress me and there is a lot of competition for places. Take Jesús Navas – he's a very good player, and we played against him when he was at Sevilla FC."

The task ahead is a tough one, then, but the twice-capped left-back saw last season what CSKA were capable of, as Leonid Slutski guided them to a domestic treble. "I have played 150 matches for CSKA and there have been good times and bad times," he reflected. "Last season was a great campaign for us as we won all the trophies on offer and the mood in the camp couldn't have been better."

Rain and a few unwelcome results may have dampened that euphoria a bit, but a win against City would go a long way to raising morale once more.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Real excited by Old Trafford fixture

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 17.51CET

"Everybody is eager to experience Old Trafford," coach Jagoba Arrasate told UEFA.com ahead of Real Sociedad de Fútbol's Group A encounter with the English champions.

183094__max_news.jpg

Beaten in their first two UEFA Champions League fixtures, Real Sociedad de Fútbol nonetheless head to Old Trafford far from cowed by their disappointing start to the club's first European campaign in ten years.

Following Group A losses to FC Shakhtar Donetsk and Bayer 04 Leverkusen, La Real face Manchester United FC on Wednesday requiring a positive result to ensure qualification for the last 16 remains, however remote, an attainable goal.

A daunting prospect that may be, but the global standing and European tradition of their opponents means Jagoba Arrasate's men journey to north-west England brimming with nothing but enthusiasm.

"Knowing what Manchester United and their stadium represents, that's the game the team is most looking forward to, as well as the fans and everyone else," striker Carlos Vela, who came on against United in the 2009 semi-final second leg while with Arsenal FC, told UEFA.com.

The anticipation is not just palpable among the players; it extends to the dugout too. "I don't need to explain who Manchester United are," said Arrasate. "They're a historic club, everybody here – players and supporters – are excited about facing them. Everybody is eager to travel to Manchester and experience Old Trafford. We know it'll be difficult, but we'll have our chances."

Last edited:

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moyes and La Real certain United will hit form

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 20.45CET

David Moyes is sure the goals will start to flow for Manchester United FC as they welcome Real Sociedad de Fútbol, with Jagoba Arrasate "not fooled by their so-called bad start".

by Nick Aitken
from Manchester

2013070_w2.jpg

Manchester United FC may be eight points off the top in the Premier League, but manager David Moyes feels his side are close to reaching their potential as they welcome Real Sociedad de Fútbol in UEFA Champions League Group A.

Real Sociedad are even further off the pace in the Spanish Liga and yet to get a point in this group – while United are joint leaders on four – but Moyes has been "impressed" when watching the visitors this season. The Scot's counterpart Jagoba Arrasate warned: "I'm not fooled by this so-called bad start for United."

United
David Moyes, manager

Obviously we want to improve results, but we also want to improve performances. We've had periods of good play but not complete performances – but we're working on it in training, trying to improve all the time and trying to make it work. There have been periods of excellent play, we could have scored a few more goals, but we're training hard and I'm sure the goals will start flowing soon.

We'd have started even better if we'd taken all three points in Donetsk [on matchday two], but it wasn't a bad point away from home. We'll keep trying to win our games; it's a great competition and it's very important to play well. It's also important to win your home games, which is what we'll be trying to do against Sociedad.

Sociedad are in the Champions League on merit, finishing in the top four in Spain is a great achievement and we respect them for it. The loss of one or two players in the summer has made it harder for them, while expectations are also much bigger. They've changed their style in one or two games this season, sometimes with one defensive midfielder and sometimes with two, while they had a great result at Valencia on Saturday.

I think it [Old Trafford] is a big place to come but it's also enjoyable. It's a great stadium to play at, though I hope they don't enjoy it too much!

Weekend result
Saturday: United 1-1 Southampton FC (Van Persie 26; Lallana 89)

De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Evana, Evra; Nani (Giggs 69), Fellaini (Welbeck 76), Carrick, Januzaj; Van Persie, Rooney (Smalling 87).

• Fresh from signing a long-term contract, Adnan Januzaj set up Robin van Persie's opener. Van Persie and Wayne Rooney both hit the bar, but United are now eighth, eight points adrift of leaders Arsenal FC.

Team news

Moyes said Nemanja Vidić and Rio Ferdinand are "making good progress" from their respective injuries, while Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley both "have a chance" of featuring on Wednesday. Januzaj has been added to United's UEFA Champions League squad.

La Real
Jagoba Arrasate, coach

They've got a new coach and it always takes time to adjust. But I'm not fooled by this so-called bad start for United, as they could explode into life at any moment. We'll expect them to be at their best tomorrow and to give us a very difficult game, but if that's not the case then all the better for us.

Playing here has more positives than negatives, and we won't be intimidated by the occasion. Of course we're coming here to a legendary, almost mythic stadium, but we're going to train on the pitch now so we'll get a feel for it. Once the whistle goes it's just another game of 11 versus 11, and we'll also have huge backing from our fans.

Of course it'll be a special night for all of us: the players, the coaching staff and the fans. But once the whistle blows we'll focus on our job – on correcting things, urging on the players, basically doing everything we can to get the three points that'd give us a chance of getting out of the group, which is what it's all about.

[Despite two opening defeats] we can take positives from both games and we played particularly well in Germany. We know we have to get close to our very best form to give ourselves a chance tomorrow, so it's about preparing well and working hard for the result.

Weekend result
Saturday: Valencia CF 1-2 Real Sociedad (Griezmann 41, Pardo 59; Pabón 90)
Bravo; Carlos Martínez, Mikel González, Iñigo Martínez, De la Bella; Bergara, Pardo (Ros 78), Vela, Zurutuza (Xabi Prieto 74), Griezmann (Castro 84); Agirretxe.

• La Real ended a run of eight games in all competitions without a win, registering their first away victory in the Liga this term.

Team news

Midfielder Gorka Elustondo missed the weekend success with a thigh strain. Esteban Granero is a long-term absentee after he ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on matchday one.

Match fact
• The English title holders have lost their last two home matches against Spanish opposition, going down 2-1 to Real Madrid CF in last season's round of 16 and succumbing 3-2 to Athletic Club at the same stage of the 2011/12 UEFA Europa League. Wayne Rooney was on target three times overall in that two-legged tie against Athletic, La Real's Basque rivals, as United lost 5-3 on aggregate.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Slutski urges CSKA to seize City chance

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 18.42CET

Leonid Slutski has told PFC CSKA Moskva to exploit home advantage in a "crucial" Group D game against Manchester City FC, with Manuel Pellegrini also seeking a positive result.

by Alexandr Ustinov
from Moscow

2009878_w2.jpg

Aware that title holders FC Bayern München are looking ominous in UEFA Champions League Group D, PFC CSKA Moskva coach Leonid Slutski knows his team need to seize their chance in the upcoming double-header against Manchester City FC. Opposite number Manuel Pellegrini, meanwhile, is looking for a repeat of City's impressive win at FC Viktoria Plzeň on matchday one.

CSKA
Leonid Slutski, coach

We will have 11 players out on the pitch and our aim will be to get a positive result. It is a very important game for us and it will make the situation in the group a lot clearer. Neither team will qualify or be eliminated after the game, but it will be crucial in terms of our hopes of making the knockout stage. The third and fourth matches in the group are always key. There is an obvious favourite in our group, so the fixtures between us and Manchester City will decide who qualifies in second place.

They have a really strong squad; for example, I don't know who will line up on the left and right of defence. It could be Micah Richards or Pablo Zabaleta, and it could be Gaël Clichy or Aleksandar Kolarov. They have four players who are always in the side – Joe Hart, Fernandinho, Yaya Touré and Sergio Agüero. When you can leave players such as James Milner on the bench, who is a national team player, it just goes to show the strength in depth they possess.

We must make sure that we play at a high tempo and look to play as a team and win our individual battles on the pitch. If we manage to do this, then we have a chance of beating Manchester City and overcoming the individual excellence of the players they have.

Weekend result
Friday: FC Zenit 2-0 CSKA (Shirokov 16, Hulk 45)

Chepchugov; Schennikov, V Berezutski, Ignashevich, Nababkin; Milanov, Wernbloom, Tošić (Vitinho 53), Zuber (Doumbia 54), Honda; Musa.

• CSKA slumped to their fourth loss in five Russian Premier League games though the return of Seydou Doumbia after six weeks out with a thigh injury provided a timely lift.

Team news

Mário Fernandes, Alan Dzagoev, Rasmus Elm and Aleksandrs Cauņa are all ruled out, but Doumbia is available and Igor Akinfeev "will play in goal" according to Slutski.

City
Manuel Pellegrini, manager

CSKA are a very strong side, they are heavyweights in Russia. I saw their games against Zenit last Saturday, Plzeň and Bayern. I think we play better in away games in the Champions League rather than in the English Premier League.

It's not the last match in the group but it's a very pivotal, important game for us. The team who win this game will have more of a chance to get through to the next round, but there are still three matches ahead. For us the most important thing is to earn three points.

Weekend result
Saturday: West Ham United FC 1-3 City (Vaz Té 58; Agüero 16 51, Silva 80)

Hart; Richards, Nastasić, García, Clichy; Silva, Yaya Touré, Fernandinho, Nasri (Milner 74); Negredo (Kolarov 66), Agüero (Jovetić 82).

• Agüero struck twice to help Pellegrini to his first Premier League away win as City manager. Indeed, City's next three games are on the road, starting with the match in Moscow.

Team news

Vincent Kompany is back in training after his knee injury. Martín Demichelis, also out with a knee problem, could make a belated debut after coming through a reserve fixture.

Match fact
• City's Álvaro Negredo and Jesús Navas were in the Sevilla FC side beaten by CSKA in the 2009/10 UEFA Champions League round of 16. Negredo got the opening goal in a 1-1 first-leg draw at Luzhniki Stadium but CSKA prevailed 2-1 in Spain. Another City striker, Edin Džeko, hit the opener for his team, VfL Wolfsburg, in a 2-1 defeat at CSKA in the group stage that same season.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Madrid's master meets Juventus apprentice

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 18.55CET

Antonio Conte played under Carlo Ancelotti at Juventus between 1999 and 2001, but his admiration will not dull his determination to get the better of Real Madrid CF.

by Marcos Prieto
from Madrid

2013083_w2.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti sounded an ominous warning by revealing that Real Madrid CF are growing in stature with every game ahead of their UEFA Champions League Group B showdown at home to Juventus.

The Italian coach also recalled fond memories of his two-year stint in charge of the Bianconeri over a decade ago, not least his hair. Antonio Conte was one of his players but now finds himself on the opposing bench. He is eager to draw a line under Saturday's surprising defeat by ACF Fiorentina, even if his side will have to get the better of a team he describes as "amazing".

Real Madrid
Carlo Ancelotti, coach

What has changed since I coached Juve? My hair. No, many things. I have more experience now. My experience at Juventus was very important in terms of my growth as a coach and a person. The results were perhaps not great but my experiences and memories from that time are good ones. Juventus have lots of quality players. Arturo Vidal is very important, he's a goal threat who finds pockets of space.

We played well against Málaga at the weekend. I think we have improved since the start of the season. We have more confidence and are playing with greater intensity. Great players can always play together – Cristiano [Ronaldo] and [Gareth] Bale have no problem doing so. Cristiano always starts on the wing but often comes inside – that's why he scores 50 goals a season.

Weekend result
Saturday: Real Madrid 2-0 Málaga CF (Di María 46, Ronaldo 90pen)

López; Carvajal, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo; Khedira, Illarramendi, Isco (Modrić 73); Di María (Rodríguez 81), Morata (Bale 76), Ronaldo.

• Madrid closed the gap on pacesetters FC Barcelona and Club Atlético de Madrid with their fourth home win in the Liga this term.

Team news
Gareth Bale sustained a left thigh strain warming up for the Getafe CF game on 22 September, a problem that resurfaced in the defeat by Atlético the following weekend. He returned as a substitute on Saturday, winning a late penalty that Ronaldo converted to seal a 2-0 victory. Karim Benzema (calf), Fábio Coentrão (wisdom tooth) and Raphaël Varane (knee) are all expected to return, while Xabi Alonso is still recovering from a broken foot.

Juventus
Antonio Conte, coach

It's a very exciting match for us. What happened against Fiorentina has happened many times in more important games, like the UEFA Champions League finals between Milan and Liverpool or Manchester United and Bayern. These things happen in football. Our stats speak for themselves. We have good ball possession and we play offensively.

We always see our mistakes and try to work out solutions. We try to improve and I think we have done these past two and a half years [under Conte]. It's true we are making some individual mistakes we shouldn't be. We are working on it and are sure we can move forward doing what we are doing. Against Fiorentina we suffered our first defeat of the season; now we just think of the next game.

Tomorrow will conjure emotions for everybody. We know it will be a difficult match that will show us how far we can go in the competition. Real Madrid are the most famous team in the world. They have a long, rich history and are an example for everyone. They have a structure to win everything every year. We have studied Real Madrid: their strength is amazing, especially if we give them space.

Real Madrid have huge potential; they can compete with the likes of Bayern. They are potential UEFA Champions League winners but we will be positive; we have no fears. I envy Ancelotti's career as a coach because he has been incredible and he deserves everything he gets. I had the opportunity of working under him for two years and it was a very good experience.

Weekend result
Saturday: ACF Fiorentina 4-2 Juventus (Rossi 66pen 76 80, Joaquín 78; Tévez 37pen Pogba 40)

Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Padoin (Motta 83), Pogba, Pirlo, Marchisio (Vidal 77), Asamoah (Giovinco 80); Tévez, Llorente.

• Juventus lost for the first time this season. Under Conte, they had never conceded four goals in a Serie A game; they did so in 14 minutes against Fiorentina.

Team news
Mirko Vučinić and Stephan Lichtsteiner are still absent after suffering muscle injuries on matchday two. Last Tuesday, Fabio Quagliarella sustained a thigh problem which will keep him sidelined for three weeks.

Match fact
• The teams have faced each other 14 times – all in the European Cup – with home advantage proving key: Madrid's home record is W4 L2 while Juventus's is W5 L1. They met in the 1998 final in Amsterdam when a 66th-minute Predrag Mijatović goal ended the Merengues's 32-year wait for their seventh European title.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Anderlecht not daunted by PSG's wow factor

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 19.26CET

Paris Saint-Germain FC can win the UEFA Champions League according to John van den Brom, who says his RSC Anderlecht side need to "have a super day" when the sides meet.

by Berend Scholten
from Constant Vanden Stock

2003453_w2.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain FC have the potential to win the UEFA Champions League according to John van den Brom, who nevertheless remains hopeful his RSC Anderlecht side can "have a super day" in Brussels on Wednesday. Laurent Blanc does not see the cards stacked that much in his team's favour, dismissing the notion that the Group C leaders will rest players and warning of complacency against an Anderlecht outfit seeking to get off the mark.

Anderlecht
John van den Brom, coach

On the basis of the potential quality I have seen at PSG, and their budget, they have everything that makes it possible for them to win the Champions League. I have seen them in a couple of home matches and I was really impressed by their way of playing, by the big stars and the way those stars really play well together. That is what impressed me most, besides their quality. They really can go far in this tournament.

Zlatan [Ibrahimović] is Zlatan, he is something else; he has so many qualities. When you then hear during a match that Zlatan is substituted and [Edinson] Cavani replaces him, then you think 'wow'. When you have so many options as a coach, then it says a lot about the quality of our opponents. We will play against a star team. That is an honour, but also a challenge for a young team like ours to try to achieve something. That is nice.

Before a match I always say you have to try to win, but in this case that obviously is not easy. This is a really tough task for us. On the other side, there is always a chance; if PSG think too lightly about it, and we have a super day, then we could spring a surprise, and that is what you hope for as a coach.

Weekend result
Friday: RAEC Mons 0-2 Anderlecht (Mitrović 29, Mbemba 45)

Kaminski; Mbemba, Kouyaté, Nuytinck, N'Sakala; Milivojević, Tielemans, Praet; Bruno (Acheampong 71), Mitrović, Suárez.

• Aleksandar Mitrović returned from a three-match domestic ban to set Anderlecht on the way to victory.

Team news

Silvio Proto (ankle) and Ronald Vargas (knee) remain sidelined.

PSG
Laurent Blanc, coach

A win is an absolute must for us and will be a first step towards qualifying for the next stage. To keep my players sharp I am always saying that every match will be difficult. We do not take any match for granted. And that is exactly how we will handle the Anderlecht game. We go into every match the way we should, with the right attitude, and stay focused all match long.

As a team we create many chances and we do not always convert them. I cannot complain about the effort of my players, it is just sometimes a lack of efficiency in finishing. We need to be a bit more efficient in that, but with patience that will come.

I will keep rotating my players. We have a lot of quality players and there will be a number of new names tomorrow. We have not looked at the match against Saint-Étienne this weekend. For now only the match against Anderlecht counts and I will select the best team I can.

We cannot think that we will easily push Anderlecht aside; that will not happen. We always respect our opponents and that will be no different tomorrow.

Weekend result
Saturday: PSG 4-0 SC Bastia (Ibrahimović 10 13, Cavani 62 89pen)

Sirigu; Jallet (Van der Wiel 67), Alex, Marquinhos, Digne; Lucas, Rabiot, Matuidi, Ongenda; Ménez (Maxwell 71), Ibrahimović (Cavani 46).

• A much-changed PSG ensemble made light work of their Corsican opponents, Ibrahimović taking his tally to six in four appearances for club and country with a first-half double.

Team news
Javier Pastore missed the weekend victory. The playmaker returned to Argentina for "personal reasons" according to Blanc.

Match fact
• The teams were paired together in the 1992/93 UEFA Cup third round, when a goalless first leg in Paris preceded a 1-1 draw in Brussels that took PSG through on away goals. John Bosman's 52nd-minute strike had given Anderlecht the lead, but Antoine Kombouaré levelled 14 minutes from time.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Leverkusen and Shakhtar set for culture clash

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 20.27CET

Bayer 04 Leverkusen boss Sami Hyypiä hopes to expose attack-minded FC Shakhtar Donetsk at the back though Mircea Lucescu reckons the hosts have frailties of their own.

by Harry Jurkschat
from Leverkusen

2013139_w2.jpg

Bayer 04 Leverkusen are eager to keep tabs on a freewheeling FC Shakhtar Donetsk side when the Ukrainian champions come calling in UEFA Champions League Group A. Coaches Sami Hyypiä and Mircea Lucescu agree the teams have contrasting styles, but both have identified potential weaknesses to exploit – Shakhtar's defensive frailty and Leverkusen's tendency to attack in numbers.

Leverkusen
Sami Hyypiä, coach

Donetsk have a very good team. You cannot focus on one or two players just because they have a lot of individual quality up front. Their players are always in motion, which is why this was quite a difficult match to prepare for. We have to communicate well and defend better than we have in our most recent games. We cannot always count on [goalkeeper Bernd] Leno.

[Shakhtar] are better going forward and have problems when they have to defend. Their style is always the same – home or away. We have to be well prepared and will try to benefit from their offensive play so that we have more attacking players than they have defenders.

We have been nervous on the ball at times, especially in Manchester. Little things will be essential. We have to move more, pass the ball better and concentrate, then we can show what we can do. We have to be at our absolute best in every match and we demand this from the team every time.

Weekend result
Friday: TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 1-2 Leverkusen (Schipplock 88; Sam 26, Kiessling 70)

Leno; Hilbert (Donati 86), Wollscheid (Spahić 46), Toprak, Boenisch; Castro, Reinartz, Rolfes; Sam (Kruse 80), Kiessling, Hegeler.

• Leverkusen went top of the Bundesliga table for 24 hours with goalkeeper Bernd Leno saving a 70th-minute penalty to make it seven wins from nine league outings. They have scored in every home league game.

Team news
Lars Bender has been training alone and will not feature against Shakhtar, with midfielder Levin Öztunali also absent. In his first match since returning from the injury that kept him out since 14 September, Gonzalo Castro set up both Leverkusen goals at Hoffenheim.

Shakhtar
Mircea Lucescu, coach

We are here to take all three points. We know it will be quite difficult, although Shakhtar tend to play very well against German sides. Often these back-to-back matches against one team are key to deciding whether you advance from the group phase or not.

These are two very different sides. Leverkusen are a very physical team with tough players; Shakhtar try to control the match with technical skill. We have to be wary of their counterattacks and threat from free-kicks and corners because these will be dangerous. When Leverkusen attack, they attack with many players so we might be able to benefit from this.

I hope it's a great game and Donetsk can try to earn even more respect in Europe.

Weekend result
Saturday: FC Illychivets Mariupil 1-3 Shakhtar (Stepanenko og 38; Srna 66pen 73pen, Luiz Adriano 85)

Pyatov; Ilsinho, Kryvtsov (Volovyk 59), Rakitskiy, Ismaily; Fernando (Srna 45), Stepanenko, Douglas Costa, Alex Teixeira, Taison (Ferreyra 56); Luiz Adriano.

• Darijo Srna came off the bench in heavy rain to turn the game in Shakhtar's favour and end a run of three winless Premier League away fixtures. They have scored in their last 31 competitive matches.

Team news
Serhiy Kryvtsov injured his ankle at Illychivets but has travelled to Germany.

Match fact
• Leverkusen's overall home record against Ukrainian clubs is W3 D2 L0. The last Ukrainian visitors to the BayArena in the UEFA Champions League were FC Dynamo Kyiv in December 2004 when a 3-0 home victory took Klaus Augenthaler's men into the round of 16.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guardiola tells Bayern to press Plzeň

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 19.45CET

Accordingly to Josep Guardiola, FC Bayern München must begin positively against FC Viktoria Plzeň whose coach Pavel Vrba is hoping to catch out the holders in Munich.

by Daniel Lerche
from Munich

2013039_w2.jpg

Josep Guardiola urged FC Bayern München to seize the initiative from the off when they host FC Viktoria Plzeň in UEFA Champions League Group D on Wednesday. The Bavarians had to come from behind to beat 1. FSV Mainz 05 on Saturday, but their 42-year-old coach does not expect history to repeat itself. Opposite number Pavel Vrba, however, believes football is "still full of surprises".

Bayern
Josep Guardiola, coach

I have a lot of respect for our opponents. I saw them against Manchester City and they performed very well in the first half. They have some excellent players and play nice football. The team has changed a bit since I was at Barcelona [who played Plzeň in the 2011/12 group stage] but their philosophy remains the same.

In the Bundesliga recently, we have been poor in the first half but I don't expect this to happen tomorrow. Playing [Philipp] Lahm in midfield was an experiment and he did extremely well. I know he is a full-back and he will resume that position, but don't forget about Rafinha.

I need all my players because everyone in the squad is important. [Mario] Götze is one of those players who thinks quickly on the pitch and I've been impressed with him since coming back from injury.

Weekend result
Saturday: Bayern 4-1 1. FSV Mainz 05 (Robben 50, Müller 52 82pen, Mandžukić 69; Parker 44)

Neuer; Rafinha (Götze 46), Boateng, Dante (Alaba 42), Contento; Lahm, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Müller; Mandžukić (Kirchhoff 74).

• Mario Götze came off the bench to transform a previously poor Bayern performance, setting up their first three goals for a Bundesliga win that kept them a point ahead of Borussia Dortmund and Bayer 04 Leverkusen.

Team news

Jérôme Boateng is suspended following his red card against Manchester City FC. Franck Ribéry came through training unscathed after sitting out the victory over Mainz, but Dante is absent with an ankle injury sustained in the same game.

Plzeň
Pavel Vrba, coach

Two years ago we played Barcelona, now we're facing the Champions League title holders again. There is a very difficult game ahead of us, and to be very honest my feelings are quite intense. Anything could happen. Perhaps we will be able to get a 0-0 draw. Perhaps we will lose. Football is still full of surprises. You never know what will happen.

We have improved a lot since the matches against Barça; we score a lot more goals now, but of course Bayern will put us under a lot of pressure. Guardiola will also have a good game plan and will know how to put us into trouble. We won't play a very offensive style, but we will try to be proactive. We will attempt to keep the ball and surprise our opponents once in a while. Of course we want to survive this group stage.

Weekend result
Saturday: Plzeň 1-1 SK Slavia Praha (Rajtoral 60; Juhar 30)

Kozáčik; Rajtoral, Čišovský, Procházka, Řezník; Hořava, Horváth; Ďuriš (Kovařík 68), Pospíšil (Petržela 46), Kolář; Bakoš (Wágner 83).

• Plzeň came from behind to stretch their unbeaten start to the Czech First League season to 11 games, but their fourth draw of the campaign saw them fall six points adrift of leaders AC Sparta Praha.

Team news
Centre-back Marián Čišovský, the five-goal top scorer in qualifying, is available after returning on Saturday from seven matches out with a calf problem. David Limberský is back in training after tearing his thigh at the end of September but the Bayern trip comes too soon for him.

Match fact
• Bayern earned a 7-1 aggregate victory when the teams met in the 1971/72 European Cup Winners' Cup first round. Wolfgang Sühnholz hit the only goal of the first leg in Plzen and Bayern doubled their aggregate lead in the first minute of the return through Gerd Müller. Although Ivan Bican equalised, Bayern ran out 6-1 winners with Franz Krauthausen, Wilhelm Hoffmann (2), Franz Roth and Müller again scoring. Bayern's current club president Uli Hoeness featured in both games.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Galatasaray know significance of FCK encounters

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 20.45CET

With a point dividing Wednesday's opponents Galatasaray AŞ and FC København from Juventus in Group B, Roberto Mancini says qualification will not be settled until the last day.

2004241_w2.jpg

Galatasaray AŞ's draw with Juventus last time out has left the race for qualification from UEFA Champions League Group B wide open, according to their coach Roberto Mancini. Cimbom and FC København have one point apiece so far, one less than the Bianconeri, and with the Italian club facing Real Madrid CF on matchdays three and four, Mancini knows the significance of these back-to-back games against the Danish title holders. Ståle Solbakken says his team need to be at "our very best" to get a result.

Galatasaray
Roberto Mancini, coach

I have not decided on the left-back position, on whether Albert Riera or Dany Nounkeu will play in the absence of Hakan Balta. We have two training sessions left – tonight and tomorrow morning – after which I will make my final decision on several matters.

The group has become more open with the point we took from Juventus and I believe all will be decided in our last match against them. Until then, we won't make many mistakes and will stay in contention. Of course we respect our opponents, and first we have to win tomorrow and then carry on in our other fixtures.

København are a very good team, hard to beat. They are playing well defensively and can also threaten from counterattacks and set pieces. We know this. In the Champions League there are no easy matches or weak teams. I don't make predictions – we have to look at each game as it comes. We have København tomorrow and our first aim is to win this match.

Weekend result
Saturday: Galatasaray 2-1 Kardemir Karabükspor (Sneijder 41 83; Akpala 52)

Muslera, Sabri Sarıoğlu, Chedjou, Semih Kaya, Hakan Balta (Nounkeu 78); Ceyhun Gülselam (Aydın Yılmaz 69), Felipe Melo, Selçuk İnan, Sneijder; Burak Yılmaz, Drogba.

• With just one point from their previous two Super League outings, Wesley Sneijder's maiden Galatasaray double got them back to winning ways in Mancini's first match at the Ali Sami Yen Spor Kompleksi. Aydın Yılmaz came off the bench for his debut; Emmanuel Eboué and Bruma missed out due to the Turkish foreign player quota.

Team news
Hamit Altıntop is sidelined with a spinal hernia, though back in light training. Hakan Balta strained knee ligaments on Saturday and faces a two-week lay-off. Gökhan Zan has a hamstring problem but Engin Baytar is available after a knee strain.

København
Ståle Solbakken, coach

It's always difficult in a stadium like this, where the atmosphere is intense, but some of the players should be experienced enough to deal with it and the youngsters will get their chance to do so from the beginning. We're strong as a unit. The most important thing is not the crowd or Galatasaray, it is our performance – we have to be at our very best.

There are some similarities in that both teams changed coach this season. Galatasaray have yet to reach the heights they did in getting to the last eight last season. [Fatih] Terim has been replaced and that has caused some uncertainty. Mancini's approach has great discipline about it, so Galatasaray have made a good choice, but it will take time for them to get back to their best.

We started at home with a good result [1-1 against Juventus] and that could be key for third place. Galatasaray can take points at home to anyone.

Weekend result
Saturday: København 3-0 Aalborg BK (Jørgensen 43, L Nielsen og 62 Vetokel 89)

Wiland, Jacobsen, Sigurdsson, Mellberg, Remmer, Gislason (Toutouh 65) Delaney, Claudemir (Kristensen 82) Vetokele, Jørgensen, Santin (Braaten 64).

• With Pierre Bengtsson suspended, Solbakken handed Christoffer Remmer a first Superliga start and he repaid the favour by setting up Nicolai Jørgensen's opener as FCK got their third home league win in succession.

Team news

FCK are at full strength.

Match fact
• København's Parken Stadion was the venue for Galatasaray's finest hour as they beat Arsenal FC 4-1 on penalties in the 1999/2000 UEFA Cup final after a goalless 120 minutes. Assistant coach Ümit Davala was in the winning team.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Benfica and Olympiacos out to steal a march

Published: Tuesday 22 October 2013, 21.19CET

Mutual respect abounded as SL Benfica and Olympiacos FC looked ahead to their Lisbon clash but both camps know a victory could have a major bearing on their campaigns.

by Carlos Machado
from Lisbon

2013196_w2.jpg

SL Benfica coach Jorge Jesus says nothing will be decided on matchday three, but victory over Olympiacos FC would represent a significant step in the right direction. Both teams have beaten RSC Anderlecht and lost to Paris Saint-Germain FC so far in UEFA Champions League Group C and mutual respect abounds. Jesus spoke fondly of former players Javier Saviola and Roberto while Míchel, when asked who – if anyone – he would remove from the Benfica reckoning, was unequivocal in his answer: the coach.

Benfica
Jorge Jesus, coach

The best teams are in this competition and you are always as close to winning as you are to losing. Olympiacos will be a hard team to beat. We are both on three points so nothing will be decided in terms of qualification, but it would be terrific to grab a win here. To beat Olympiacos we will have to play at the same level we did against Anderlecht [winning 2-0 on matchday one].

I won't say that PSG are already group winners, but they are best placed. Second spot is the most likely place for us to fight for. It's hard to say how many points we need, because in the past sides have got nine or ten points and failed to qualify. We have to play game by game and see what happens.

[Javier Saviola and Roberto] are players with different pasts at Benfica. Saviola came here with a great past behind him, a great player who had a great first season when we were league champions. Roberto came from Spain much younger, less known, and I still believe that he's a player with lots of quality. In time he'll show how great he is – but hopefully not tomorrow.

Weekend result
Saturday: CD Cinfães 0-1 Benfica (Ola John 52)

Oblak; Sílvio, Jardel, Steven Vitória, Bruno Cortez; Djuričić (Bernando Silva 80), Rúben Amorim, Lindelöf, Ivan Cavaleiro, Ola John, Funes Mori.

• Jesus took the opportunity to rest players as Benfica progressed to the Portuguese Cup fourth round.

Team news
Rúben Amorim (thigh) and Sílvio (knee) returned to action on Saturday. Lazar Marković is overcoming a thigh injury, as is André Gomes. Miralem Sulejmani (thigh) and Rodrigo (knee) are undergoing treatment. Eduardo Salvio continues to recover from a knee operation.

Olympiacos
Míchel, coach

It's not decisive, but we want to win. We are happy and motivated. Our goal is always victory. Benfica have the advantage because they are at home. They are a club with history, always championship contenders, and deserve maximum respect. We have Roberto and Javier Saviola, but much more besides. We also have Greek fighting spirit.

It's a short tournament – you cannot make plans. After matchday one we were out already and after the second match we have a big chance of qualifying. We are not thinking about first place or second; we think only of going through. Benfica have lots of quality players, but if I had a choice to remove someone tomorrow, it would be the coach. He, for me, is the best.

We were happy with the win at Anderlecht. They had chances to score, but we had Roberto there on a great night. I hope the same happens here and we grab a good result. Saviola is doing very well. What more can we ask of him? He's a professional. He has brought a lot to Kostas Mitroglou and to the rest of the team. He's a great example.

Weekend result
Saturday: Platanias FC 1-4 Olympiacos (Torres 2; Fernandes og 66, Mitroglou 68, Saviola 73, Weiss 87)

Roberto; Salino, Manolas, Papadopoulos (Maniatis 65), Papazoglou; Ndinga (Campbell 46), Samaris; Weiss, Saviola, Fuster (Domínguez 46); Mitroglou.

• Mitroglou took his Super League tally to ten as Olympiacos staged a late fightback. Sambou Yatabaré missed out as he came back late from international duty with Mali.

Team news
Gaëtan Bong (foot, hamstring) is out; Paulo Machado is a doubt with a right knee complaint. José Holebas is expected to return from a a quad problem while Avraam Papadopoulos and Leandro Salino both made injury comebacks on Saturday.

Match fact
• The five games between these sides have produced three wins for Benfica and two for Olympiacos. The Greek team have still to score in the Portuguese capital.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

76 detained over Anderlecht-PSG hooligan fears

AFP – 23 October 2013

ALeqM5hyTh2TM9j-DgO1O4RrPZPYH_9m7g

Brussels — A total of 76 suspected troublemakers have been detained in Brussels before the "high risk" Champions League between Anderlecht and Paris Saint-Germain, police said on Wednesday.

A spokeswoman for the police in the Belgian capital, Marie Verbeeck, said officers had brought in a "hardcore" of 60 PSG supporters, many of them with convictions related to football violence and already banned from football grounds.

They are being held in custody under preventative arrest for 24 hours.

Nine other people, six French nationals and three Poles who were said by police to be connected to the PSG fans, were stopped at Brussels Midi railway station on Tuesday evening.

One of the three Poles, who had travelled from the southern city of Krakow via Germany, was armed with a butcher's knife.

Seven Belgian supporters of Anderlecht were also taken into custody overnight, police said.

Belgian and French authorities have deemed the Champions League match high risk because of fears of clashes between hooligans on both sides.

"It's probably the most dangerous match of the year. And we're going to ensure maximum protection of the population and property," the mayor of Anderlecht, Eric Thomas, said on Tuesday.

Some 400 police officers have been deployed for the match.

Bad blood between the two clubs dates back to a UEFA Cup quarter-final at the Parc des Princes in Paris in November 1992, when fighting broke out and caused a number of injuries.

BayernMunich

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City boss Pellegrini slams CSKA pitch

331474_heroa.jpg

Oct 22, 2013 8:36:00 PM

The Chilean is highly critical of the pitch surface at the Petrovsky Stadium in St Petersburg and has suggested that the match could be postponed because of heavy rain

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini believes Wednesday's game against CSKA Moscow could be called off due to the Arena Khimki pitch.

The Chilean is highly critical of the surface in Moscow, with CSKA having played their last Champions League fixture against Viktoria Plzen at the Petrovsky Stadium in St Petersburg.

As well as condemning UEFA for allowing the Group D tie to be played at the venue, Pellegrini has suggested that a downpour prior to kick-off could see it postponed.

"I think it's unbelievable that the most important cup competition in the world is allowed to be played on this pitch," he said.

"I think we will be praying. If it is raining I think it is impossible, unbelievable that we will be playing on this pitch.

"This is the most important competition in the world (for) clubs and I think it deserves a better pitch."

Pellegrini's side can move three points clear of CSKA in Group D with a win.

While he is not concerned by potential injuries due to the state of the pitch, Pellegrini questioned UEFA's decision to use the stadium.

"If (on Wednesday) it is not raining, it is not a risk to injury," he added.

"I am surprised because they did not allow them to play the game against Plzen here.

"I think the people from UEFA that review the pitch, he must not give the authorisation to play here."

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Celtic 2 Ajax 1

23 October 2013

383893header.jpg

Goals either side of half-time from James Forrest and Beram Kayal gave Celtic a 2-1 UEFA Champions League win over Ajax on Tuesday.

Having fallen to Group H defeats against Milan and Barcelona, triumph over the Eredivisie outfit represents a huge boost to the Scottish champions' European hopes.

But it was tough going at times for Neil Lennon's men, with Christian Poulsen striking the post for the visitors before Forrest converted from the spot thanks to Stefano Denswil's 43rd-minute foul on Anthony Stokes.

Beram's speculative deflected drive early in the second period sent the home crowd into raptures, while Thulani Serero spurned Ajax's best two chances and drew a rash tackle from substitute Nir Biton that meant Celtic finished with 10 men before Lasse Schone netted an emphatic consolation as the game's final act.

Kayal replaced suspended Celtic captain Scott Brown in the centre of midfield, while Forrest was rewarded for his equaliser from the bench against Hibernian with a start on the right wing in place of hamstring victim Kris Commons.

Joel Veltman started his first Champions League game for Ajax in central defence as manager Frank de Boer also restored veteran midfielder Poulsen.

After an enterprising start from the home side, it was Ajax who went closest to opening the scoring when Poulsen steered a side-footed volley against the post with half an hour played after Charlie Mulgrew failed to clear a free-kick from Viktor Fischer.

But just as Celtic were beginning to toil they took the lead on the stroke of half-time after Denswil clumsily felled Stokes on the left-hand edge of the penalty area.

Debate over Forrest's spotting of the ball ensued, with Veltman, Poulsen and Celtic's Virgil van Dijk booked for their part in the argument, but the 22-year-old kept his cool to drill the kick beyond Jasper Cillessen's dive into the top right corner.

Perhaps buoyed by his end to the first-half, Forrest rampaged in from the right and forced Denswil to scramble clear at the near post two minutes after the restart.

Fraser Forster produced a stunning save to thwart Serero following the Ajax midfielder's slick one-two with Kolbeinn Sigthorsson, before Celtic claimed an unlikely two-goal cushion in the 54th minute.

Georgios Samaras cut in from the left byline to have a goal-bound effort blocked by Veltman and the loose ball fell to Kayal, whose clipped 25-yard effort took a decisive deflection off Denswil to nestle in the bottom corner.

Siem De Jong fizzed a drive from distance narrowly past the far post as Ajax sought a route back into the game, while Kayal wonderfully spun Serero before thudding another well-hit effort into Cillessen's chest as the game entered its final quarter.

Serero found space in the Celtic box with 11 minutes remaining but missed his kick before blazing over and Ajax reached the halfway point of the group stage with a solitary point despite Biton's late censure and fellow sub Schone's last-gasp intervention.

GeneralKala

Alfrescian
Loyal

UEFA Champions League: Steaua Bucharest 1 Basel 1

23 October 2013

383894header.jpg

Leandro Tatu's last-gasp equaliser earned Steaua Bucharest their first point of the UEFA Champions League campaign in a 1-1 draw with Basel.

A sublime strike by Marcelo Diaz opened the scoring for Basel shortly after half-time on Tuesday, and Steaua boss Laurentiu Reghecampf responded by making three substitutions in quick succession as the hosts searched for an equaliser.

The Romanian champions were rewarded when Leandro Tatu's diving header in the 87th minute flew into the top corner to earn them a well-deserved draw.

The result leaves Steaua on one point at the bottom of Group E, while Basel stay in third behind Chelsea and Schalke with four.

Reghecampf made two changes from Steaua's 4-0 league win over Viitoril Constanta on Friday, with Paul Parvulescu and Adrian Cristea making way for Iasmin Latovlevici and Cristian Tanase.

Murat Yakin, meanwhile, brought in Diaz, Mohamed Salah and Behrang Safari to replace Taulant Xhaka, Arlind Ajeti and Matias Delgado for Basel.

The game's first chance fell to Basel’s Marco Streller in the tenth minute, as a throughball down the left channel saw him running in on goal, but his shot from left-side of the area was saved easily by Ciprian Tatarusanu.

Just minutes later, the visitors came desperately close to the opener when Ivan Ivanov rose highest to meet an inswinging corner, only for Macedonian defender Daniel Georgievski to head clear off the line.

Steaua had a chance of their own when the ball fell to Nicolae Stanciu in space on edge of area, but his left-footed effort flew high over the bar to his evident frustration.

But Basel again came close when a flowing move down their left flank saw Swedish full-back Safari exchange passes with Streller, but he shot into the side-netting from a tight angle.

And Yakin’s men nearly had a huge stroke of luck to go ahead shortly before half time, when Valentin Stocker's drilled 20-yard shot deflected off the knee of Lukasz Szukala, bounced into the ground and spun wickedly up and over Tatarusanu but bounced off the underside of the bar and out.

There was no fortune about the opener when it came shortly after half-time, though.

Steaua left-back Latovlevici played an awful pass straight to Streller 25 yards from goal, and the Switzerland international laid the ball into the path of Diaz who hit a wonderful first-time effort that dipped over Tatarusanu and in.

Latovlevici came close to making amends for his error just before the hour, but his goal-bound shot deflected off the head of substitute Federico Piovaccari and over.

Steaua, in desperate need to avoid a third successive loss, threw on Tatu and Lucian Filip shortly before the hour mark in search of the equaliser, and Filip almost had an immediate impact with a rasping long-range drive that was well saved by Yann Sommer.

The play was all the home side's by this stage and, as they turned the screw, Tatu blazed a shot over the bar from 12 yards, before Tanase burst in from the left and saw his beaten away by Sommer.

But, just when it looked like all the hosts' pressure was going to count for nothing, Tatu met Adrian Popa's centre with a brilliant diving header to earn his side a share of the spoils.