• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2013-14 ║

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Schuster doubts his Malaga future

12 May 2014

450301header.jpg

Malaga head coach Bernd Schuster admits his time at the club may be up after failing to secure a top-10 finish in La Liga.

Schuster's 10-men frustrated Atletico Madrid on Sunday, holding the league leaders to a 1-1 draw at the Vicente Calderon.

However, the result was not good enough for Malaga to continue their push towards the top half of the table, with the side three points adrift of 10th-placed Valencia ahead of next week's final round.

Schuster replaced Manuel Pellegrini at the start of the season, signing a five-year deal, though the contract included a clause that gave Malaga the option of sacking the German should the club miss out on the top 10.

Now with a top-10 finish out of the equation, the 54-year-old's brief spell at Malaga could be about to end.

"It seems that way, I bid farewell to Malaga," Schuster told Spanish radio station Onda Cero post-game.

"It's clear what I have done here. I twice spoke to the directors and they've told me what they're thinking. It's fine."

If Malaga do part ways with the former Real Madrid tactician, he will not be short of offers.

Schuster, who recently expressed his desire to succeed Armin Veh as coach at Eintracht Frankfurt in the Bundesliga, claims a return to Germany is on the cards.

"I tried to stay there, but there is interest from several teams; one in Germany, but nothing concrete," said Schuster, who has not coached in Germany since leaving Cologne in 1999.

"My first priority was that I wanted to fix everything with Malaga and then see what happens further on."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico and Barcelona set for dramatic duel as Madrid miss out in Liga race

388706_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward at the Vicente Calderon
May 11, 2014 8:30:00 PM

Diego Simeone's side were held at home to Malaga on Sunday evening, while the Catalans were unable to beat Elche, meaning the title will now be decided at Camp Nou next weekend

Atletico Madrid and Barcelona will fight it out for La Liga in a dramatic duel at Camp Nou next weekend after both sides failed to win their penultimate Primera Division matches on Sunday.

A goalless draw at Elche for the Blaugrana meant Atletico would have won the title with a victory at home to Malaga, but Diego Simeone's side were held themselves to a 1-1 tie at home to Malaga.

The two teams therefore both remain in control of their own destiny ahead of a mouth-watering decider in the Catalan capital next Saturday.

Atletico, unbeaten in five fixtures against Barca in 2013-14, now need only a point at Camp Nou in the last round of La Liga in order to be crowned champions, while the Catalans must beat Simeone's side to claim the title via their head-to-head record.

A win for Gerardo Martino's men would see both teams finish the season on 89 points, but Barca would prevail thanks to their superior head-to-head record in the two meetings between the sides (being as the first was a 0-0 draw and they would have won the second).

Real Madrid, meanwhile, are out of the race altogether after losing 2-0 at Celta Vigo on Sunday, but Carlo Ancelotti's side will finish second if they beat Espanyol next weekend and Atleti defeat Barca at Camp Nou

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Luis Enrique set to coach Barcelona

404236_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward in Barcelona
May 12, 2014 4:31:21 PM

EXCLUSIVE: The Celta Vigo boss is close to an agreement with the Catalan club after a meeting with sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta at his house last week

Celta Vigo coach Luis Enrique is on the verge of a summer switch to Barcelona and is keen to make Lionel Messi the central piece in the Catalan club's new sporting project.

The former Barca B boss, who played for the Blaugrana between 1996 and 2004, met with sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta last week at his house in the seaside town of Gava and Goal understands he is now in pole position to take over at Camp Nou at the end of the season.

Current coach Gerardo Martino is set on leaving Barcelona following a season blighted by problems off the pitch, including the controversy surrounding Neymar's move to the club, Sandro Rosell's resignation and the tragic passing of former boss Tito Vilanova late last month.

Luis Enrique was considered for the coach's job when Vilanova stepped down on health grounds last July, but the Asturian had already taken over at Celta and Barca opted for Martino instead.

But after a successful season which has seen the Galician side impress following a slow start, Luis Enrique's reputation has grown and the northern outfit sit in eighth place in the Primera Division after beating Real Madrid 2-0 on Sunday.

The former Spain midfielder has refused to comment on a possible move, but said on Sunday: "I would like Barcelona to win La Liga. I have no reason to hide that."

Asked about Luis Enrique after Barca's 0-0 draw at Elche, Zubizarreta said: "Luis Enrique is a great coach for Celta and I won't talk about him while we're fighting for La Liga."

Zubizarreta had originally planned to appoint fellow Basque Ernesto Valverde, but the Athletic Bilbao boss told his former team-mate he was happy at San Mames after steering the team into the Champions League next season.

So Zubizarreta switched his attentions to Luis Enrique, but the 44-year-old is by no means a unanimous choice at boardroom level and club directors remain divided over the appointment of the former Spain star.

One positive piece of news for Barca fans, however, is that the Celta coach is keen to build a new sporting project around Messi, with the Argentine as the focal point in a side which will aim to play to the strengths of the four-time Ballon d'Or winner, who has endured a difficult season in 2013-14 because of injury and a dip in form compared to his brilliance in previous campaigns.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barca's Valdes thanks coaches in farewell message

By Tim Hanlon
BARCELONA Wed May 14, 2014 11:12am BST

r

Barcelona's goalkeeper Victor Valdes blocks the ball during a training session at Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper in Sant Joan Despi ahead of the Champions League last 16 second leg against Manchester City in Barcelona, March 11, 2014. REUTERS/Gustau Nacarino

(Reuters) - Outgoing Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes has paid tribute to Louis Van Gaal and all other coaches he worked under at the club in an emotional farewell message to fans.

The 32-year-old said he would leave the Camp Nou at the end of this season, following 12 years since his first-team debut, in search of a new challenge with a different club.

Valdes was denied the opportunity to say goodbye to supporters on the pitch as he sustained a cruciate knee ligament injury in March that brought a premature end to his season and also scuppered his World Cup hopes with Spain.

In a letter released by the club, Valdes stated his gratitude to the first team trainers starting with Dutch coach Van Gaal "for backing what only he could see in him."

"He (Van Gaal) began building this historic Barca side, which I have been privileged to be part of," Valdes said.

"Thank you Frank Rijkaard, for giving me the confidence necessary, and allowing me to achieve glory, getting my hands on the European Cup in Paris. Wherever you are, I will be indebted to you for the rest of my life Mister."

Valdes also thanked Pep Guardiola, who currently manages Bayern Munich, for guiding and supporting him.

For Tito Vilanova, who passed away last month, he added: "Thank you Tito! Wherever you are, I thank you for having taught us not only the way to keep winning as a team, but also the strength and character needed to face life."

On Monday, Valdes went to the Barcelona training ground to say goodbye to the players, and also thanked his past and present teammates in his message.

"Thanks to all my colleagues with whom I've had the pleasure to work with, that involves wearing the Barca crest on our chests day after day, for making me feel important within the group that we developed over all these years," he said.

"Because it all comes down to this, we are who we are, here and now. Thank you gentlemen!"

Valdes, who also thanked the supporters for keeping him going, will be able to add another trophy to his cabinet if Barcelona win the La Liga title decider against Atletico Madrid at the Nou Camp this weekend.

(Editing by Sudipto Ganguly)

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neymar is a victim, says Cruyff

402711_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 14, 2014 9:46:36 AM

The Dutchman refuses to blame the Brazilian for the current situation at Barcelona, but has stressed several players should earn more than the former Santos player

Barcelona icon Johan Cruyff feels the Catalans had little choice but to offer Lionel Messi a new and improved deal after making Neymar one of the best-paid players in the world last summer, but believes the Argentine's renewal is only a temporary solution.

The Dutchman believes several other Barca stars also deserve higher wages than Neymar for what they have done for the club, but refuses to blame the Brazil international for the current situation.

"Messi's renewal is like papering over the cracks because all eyes were on him after the Neymar situation," Cruyff told reporters.

"But what about other players, like Xavi, who have also given everything to Barca?

"It's not Neymar's fault: he's the victim; I don't want to discredit him. His agent didn't do things properly."

Cruyff also had his say on Barcelona's plans to replace head coach Gerardo Martino with Luis Enrique this summer and criticised their public pursuit of the current Celta boss.

"It is unethical to meet Luis Enrique in public with the Liga at stake and a Celta-Real Madrid game in sight.

"I don't know what Barca's project is. We'll have to see if Luis Enrique's ideas match the clubs."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have become a better player at Real, Ronaldo says

MADRID Thu May 15, 2014 3:48pm BST

r

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates his second goal against Bayern Munich during their Champions League semi-final second leg soccer match in Munich April 29, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

(Reuters) - Cristiano Ronaldo believes he has become a better player since joining Real Madrid from Manchester United in 2009 and has thrived on the obsession the La Liga club have with winning a 10th European title.

Real play city rivals Atletico Madrid in the Champions League final on May 24 and are one step away from the record-extending continental crown that has eluded them since they last won Europe's elite club competition exactly 12 years ago, on May 15, 2002.

Ronaldo, 29, is the top scorer in this season's competition with a record 16 goals, two more than the previous best set by Barcelona forward Lionel Messi and former AC Milan striker Jose Altafini.

"I've changed for the better, of course," Ronaldo said on Real's website on Thursday (www.realmadrid.com).

"I won the Champions league with Manchester United and now this is my fifth season with Real Madrid," added the Portugal captain, a European champion with the English Premier League club in 2008.

"I've always dreamed of winning this competition with this club (Real), it is a trophy we have spent years trying to win.

"As a result, from the very first day we arrive at the club we feel a positive kind of pressure geared towards winning the Champions League.

"Pressure is a part of football and of playing for Real Madrid. We are used to having to win all the time, but it is fine. I like the pressure because it makes me a better player. It is a special kind of adrenaline we feel."

Ronaldo has been struggling with a leg muscle strain in recent weeks but Real said he trained with his team mates on Thursday.

(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Ed Osmond)

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I've lived the dream' - Puyol bids farewell to Barcelona

405643_heroa.jpg

By Russell Greaves
May 15, 2014 5:55:00 PM

The World Cup winner gave an emotional speech as he leaves the only club he has played for and says the "human side" of the Catalans is what will stick with him

An emotional Carles Puyol expressed his pride at having "lived the dream" at Barcelona after calling time on his trophy-laden career.

The 36-year-old will retire at the end of the season after a long-standing knee injury finally took its toll on the combative centre-half.

Puyol is a one-club man who won six Liga titles and three Champions League crowns, earning himself a reputation as one of the game's true greats along the way.

Addressing a farewell event held in his honour at Camp Nou on Thursday, Puyol recalled playing football with his brother as a child when such lofty achievements seemed mere fantasy.

"I would never have thought then that I would have this great career," he said.

"I've lived the dream of so many young kids, doing what I most enjoy in life, playing football and training. I've won lots of titles but the most important thing is the human warmth and feeling I take from this club. I came here as a boy and I'm leaving with a family who I'm really proud of."

Team-mates past and present were among the huge crowd gathered to bid a fond farewell to the Spaniard, who has 100 caps to his name and boasts World Cup and European Championship winners medals.

Puyol underlined his desire to be remembered as a wholehearted and committed player, while highlighting the sheer joy of having been able to play the sport he loves at the highest level.

"The one thing I have very clear is that I gave my absolute all for Barcelona and for football and I would like to be remembered as a player who did just that – who gave everything," he said.

"For 19 years I have been able to do what I love. I've won many trophies but what will remain with me is the human side of this club."

He also offered his thanks to the fans and paid tribute to former coach Tito Vilanova, who died last month.

Reflecting on his remarkable career, Puyol chose Eric Abidal lifting the Champions League trophy in 2011 as his most memorable moment.

Abidal, who missed the 2009 final through suspension, had recently undergone surgery to remove a tumour in his liver and was handed the captain's armband for the 3-1 win over Manchester United at Wembley.

"It's very difficult to pick a special moment – but if I had to choose one I'd say when Abidal lifted the Champions League trophy due to everything that it implied," Puyol explained.

"He gave us the example of fighting, he didn't give up and he was with the team and he could live a very special moment, a moment he deserved most than anyone."

Barca can win a 23rd top-flight crown with victory over Atletico Madrid on Saturday and Puyol has faith that his side will deliver, though he will play no part.

"I don't think I will need to give a speech to the squad before the match," he said. "It's a 'final' we have to win and with our supporters on our side, I am sure we will do it."

President Josep Bartomeu described Puyol as "the best captain in the history of the club", while Barca stalwart Xavi added: "Thank you for everything you have given us, for your courage, your bravery, your sacrifices."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico's Costa fit to start at Barca, Simeone says

MADRID Fri May 16, 2014 12:53pm BST

r

Atletico Madrid's coach Diego Simeone shouts during their Spanish first division soccer match against Levante at the Ciudad de Valencia stadium in Valencia May 4, 2014. REUTERS/Heino Kalis

(Reuters) - Atletico Madrid's top scorer Diego Costa has shaken off a leg muscle strain and will be in the starting lineup for Saturday's La Liga showdown at Barcelona, coach Diego Simeone said on Friday.

The Brazil-born Spain forward, who has scored 27 goals in La Liga and eight in the Champions League this term, missed Sunday's 1-1 draw at home to Malaga but returns to try to help Atletico secure the point they need to clinch their first domestic league title in 18 years.

"He is fine," Simeone, who was in the 1996 title-winning side, told a news conference.

"He trained normally without any problems and he will play from the start," added the Argentine.

The game at the Nou Camp will be only the third "winner takes all" match on the final day of the campaign in La Liga history and the first since 1951.

Atletico are seeking their first title since 1996 and are top on 89 points, while Barca, bidding for their fifth crown in six years, are second on 86.

A point would be enough for Atletico and Barca need to beat the Madrid club to triumph by virtue of a superior head-to-head record, used to separate teams if they are level on points.

"I don't expect a match that will be decided quickly," Simeone said.

"I expect one where Barca start strongly, I expect the best Barca we have seen in recent times.

"They are playing at home and they have an extraordinary squad. But the game in itself is extremely motivating for the players.

"We are working well and we will look for the best options. We know what we are about and we know our strengths and weaknesses."

Atletico and Barca have played each other five times this season in a series of closely-fought encounters where the Catalan club had the lion's share of possession but were mostly thwarted by Atletico's mean defence.

Barca edged Atletico to win the season-opening Spanish Super Cup, when Neymar's goal in a 1-1 draw at the Calderon in the first leg was enough to secure victory after the pair played out a 0-0 stalemate the Nou Camp in the return.

After holding Barca 0-0 at the Calderon in January in La Liga, Atletico clung on for a 1-1 draw at the Nou Camp in last month's Champions League quarter-final, first leg and won the return 1-0 in Madrid.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo fit to face Espanyol, Ancelotti says

MADRID Fri May 16, 2014 1:10pm BST

r

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo Ronaldo controls the ball during the Champions League semi-final second leg soccer match against Bayern Munich at the Arena stadium in Munich, April 29, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

(Reuters) - Real Madrid's top scorer Cristiano Ronaldo has recovered from a series of niggling injuries and is fit to play in Saturday's La Liga game at home to Espanyol, coach Carlo Ancelotti said on Friday.

The Portugal captain limped out of the 1-1 draw at Real Valladolid on May 7 with an apparent thigh strain and missed Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Celta Vigo that ended Real's chances of winning La Liga.

With the Champions League final against Atletico Madrid on May 24 looming, his return is good news for the club as they chase a record-extending 10th continental crown.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is fine, available, and tomorrow he will play the match," Ancelotti told a news conference.

Only three players, goalkeeper Diego Lopez, centre back Pepe and long-term injury casualty Jese are unavailable for the game at the Bernabeu, the Italian added.

This season's championship will be decided at the Nou Camp on Saturday when second-placed Barcelona (86 points) host leaders Atletico (89).

A point would be enough for Atletico and Barca need to win to secure the title by virtue of a superior head-to-head record, used to separate teams if they are level on points.

(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by xxxxxxxxx)

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barca boosted by Neymar return for Atletico showdown

MADRID Fri May 16, 2014 12:08pm BST

neymarm.jpg

(Reuters) - Barcelona were given a boost before Saturday's La Liga showdown against Atletico Madrid when forward Neymar and defenders Gerard Pique and Jordi Alba were given the all-clear by medical staff on Friday.

Neymar and Alba have been out since suffering injuries in the King's Cup defeat by Real Madrid on April 16, while Pique has not played since the Champions League quarter-final, first leg against Atletico on April 1.

"The three players have accelerated their recuperation from their respective injuries in the past week so that they can be available to the coaching staff for the Atletico game," Barca said on their website (www.fcbarcelona.es).

"After a few days working on the sidelines, Pique, Jordi Alba and Neymar joined the group again," they added.

Saturday's clash at the Nou Camp will be only the third "winner takes all" match on the final day of the campaign in La Liga history and the first since 1951.

Atletico, seeking their first title since 1996, are top on 89 points, with Barca, chasing their fifth crown in six years, second on 86.

A win or a draw would be enough for Atletico, while Barca need to beat the Madrid club to triumph by virtue of a superior head-to-head record, used to separate teams if they finish level on points.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Luis Enrique announces Celta exit ahead of Barca move

156982_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward
May 16, 2014 1:30:00 PM

The 44-year-old coach revealed his decision to quit the Galician club on Friday as he prepares to take over from Gerardo Martino at Camp Nou in the summer

Celta Vigo boss Luis Enrique has announced his decision to step down as coach of the Galician club as he prepares for a summer switch to Barcelona.

The 44-year-old held talks with the Catalan club at his home in Gava earlier this month and has agreed to take over from current coach Gerardo Martino to lead a new sporting project in 2014-15.

Luis Enrique played at Camp Nou between 1996 and 2004 and still has strong links at the club, but refused to confirm or deny his imminent return on Friday.

"Today is a sad day," he said. "Today I am coach of Celta and I will be until the end of the season. I felt obliged to let the club know my plans, so they have time to prepare.

"There is no exclusive reason [for my departure], but I left my family behind in Barcelona and that has been hard.

"I can't confirm or deny anything. In terms of my future, there is nothing to talk about. If an interesting situation arises in future, I will communicate that."

The Asturian, who previously spent five seasons at Real Madrid as a player, has never hidden his preference for the Blaugrana and returned to coach Barca B for three years between 2008 and 2011.

He then moved to Roma, but lasted just one season at the Stadio Olimpico and was out of the game for a while until taking over at Celta last summer.

He was strongly linked with Barca after Tito Vilanova stepped down on health grounds last July, but was already under contract at the Galician side.

Less than a year on, however, he is now set to take over from Martino, who will announce his decision to move on at the end of the season.

Luis Enrique's decision to meet Barca at his home while coach of Celta and with Martino still at Camp Nou caused controversy recently, but the Galicians' president Carlos Mourinho claimed on Friday that the Asturian was free to talk to the Catalan club.

"Luis Enrique had permission to go to Barcelona that day and meet with whomever he wanted," he said. "We were in agreement."

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga: Malaga 1 Levante 0

16 May 2014

453921header.jpg

Outgoing Malaga coach Bernd Schuster signed off with a win on Friday as the club ended their La Liga season by beating Levante 1-0.

Schuster revealed in the build-up to the match that he is to leave La Rosaleda after just one campaign in charge.

And the German managed to go out on a high, as Francisco Portillo's goal on the hour mark gave Malaga all three points in a game that meant little to both teams, who end the season in mid-table.

Substitute Jose Casado missed an injury-time penalty for Schuster's side, but that mattered not as Portillo's third Liga goal of the campaign proved enough in Andalusia.

Levante keeper Keilor Navas made a mess of a cross from the right, and Portillo was on hand to drive low into the net, despite the efforts of two defenders on the line.

The visitors' hopes of getting back into the game were dealt a big blow when midfielder Papakouli Diop was sent off for a second bookable offence 10 minutes from time.

And Malaga duly held on to round Schuster's reign off with a victory.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: All to play for at both ends of the table

14 May 2014

452891header.jpg

There is still much to be decided at both the top and bottom of La Liga as the season comes to a dramatic conclusion.

While the title tussle between Atletico Madrid and Barcelona at Camp Nou will command the greatest attention, the battle to avoid the drop promises just as much excitement.

Diego Simeone takes his Atleti side to the home of the Catalan giants on Saturday knowing a draw or a win will see them clinch their first La Liga crown since 1996, when the Argentine was a player at Vicente Calderon.

However, a win for the hosts will bring them level on 89 points with Atleti, and see them lift the trophy due to their superior head-to-head record, following a 0-0 draw in Madrid in January.

Victory for Barca would ease the pressure on under-fire boss Gerardo Martino, who has taken much of the blame after their Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League defeats left them with just the league to fight for.

Scrapping equally hard, but for completely different reasons, will be the five teams who go into the final day in danger of dropping into Spain's second tier.

While Real Betis cut adrift at the bottom, three points separate the five teams from 15th to 19th, with the three sides above the drop zone at least knowing that their fate is in their own hands.

With 18th-placed Osasuna on 36 points heading into Sunday's games, Almeria and Getafe know a draw - against Athletic Bilbao and Rayo Vallecano respectively - will see them secure their top-flight status.

Granada, in 17th, have 38 points, but a draw at second-from-bottom Real Valladolid will also be enough for them, regardless of Osasuna's result, as they hold the superior head-to-head record.

For Osasuna to survive, they would have to beat Betis at home and hope for one of Granada and Getafe to lose.

For Valladolid to secure safety, they would have to beat Granada and hope that either Osasuna fail to take maximum points against Betis, or that Getafe lose at Vallecano.

The race to qualify for the UEFA Europa League is already decided, with fifth-placed Sevilla - who contest the final of this year's competition on Wednesday - hosting Elche, while sixth plays seventh as Real Sociedad welcome Villarreal.

Real Madrid, no longer in with a chance of winning the title, may rest players ahead of their Champions League final with bitter rivals Atleti on May 24 when they bring the curtain down on their domestic season at home to Espanyol.

Elsewhere, Malaga play host to Levante and Celta Vigo visit Valencia.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Real Madrid v Espanyol

15 May 2014

453293header.jpg

Real Madrid end their Liga season against Espanyol on Saturday - but all eyes will be on another capital versus Catalunya clash at Camp Nou.

A run of three games without victory has ended any hopes Real had of winning La Liga, so their meeting with Javier Aguirre's side represents little more than an undercard clash ahead of the title-deciding bout between their arch-rivals Barcelona and Atletico Madrid, which kicks off two hours later.

Carlo Ancelotti's men have taken just two points from their last three league fixtures, meaning they have gone more than two Liga games without winning for the first time since May 2009.

Real's poor run of domestic form has followed their stunning 4-0 UEFA Champions League semi-final second-leg demolition of Bayern Munich.

And it is safe to say Ancelotti will now have more than one eye on next Saturday's Champions League showpiece with neighbours Atletico, when Real go in search of their long-awaited 10th European crown.

That could mean top scorer Cristiano Ronaldo, who missed last Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Celta Vigo with a hamstring problem, is rested for the dead rubber against Espanyol.

However, the FIFA Ballon d'Or winner - who has scored 50 goals in all competitions this season - is sure to be keen to play, as he requires just one more strike to overtake Liverpool's Luis Suarez in the race for the European Golden Shoe.

Other injury concerns for Ancelotti include Angel di Maria (groin), Pepe (calf) and Raphael Varane (knee), although playmaker Xabi Alonso will likely play as he is banned for the Champions League final.

Despite the fact Real may field something of a second string at the Bernabeu this weekend, they should still have too much for a mid-table Espanyol outfit who have nothing to play for.

Aguirre's team have won just one of their last 10 Liga fixtures - a 2-1 victory at Malaga on March 25 - and appear to already be focused on their end-of-season holidays.

Furthermore, Espanyol have not won at the Bernabeu since April 1996, and have been beaten 1-0 by Real on three occasions already this season - once in La Liga, and twice in the clubs' Copa del Rey quarter-final meetings.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Barcelona v Atletico Madrid

15 May 2014

453391header.jpg

Barcelona and Atletico Madrid go head-to-head at Camp Nou on Saturday as La Liga's title race reaches its dramatic climax.

The visitors come into the weekend's showdown holding the advantage over their opponents, with a three-point lead over the reigning champions at the top of the table.

However, a win for Barca would see them pip Atletico to the title on the basis of their head-to-head record, following a 0-0 draw at Vicente Calderon back in January.

Both clubs have faltered in recent weeks, with Gerardo Martino's men dropping points in each of their last two matches, conceding a last-minute equaliser in a 2-2 draw at home to Getafe before being held 0-0 at Elche last time out.

That stalemate opened the door for Atletico to clinch their first crown since 1996, but they too were left frustrated, drawing 1-1 with Malaga last time out after they had lost 2-0 at Levante one week earlier.

Those results set up what promises to be a tense finale on Saturday, with Diego Simeone's men knowing a win or a draw will see them end their 18-year wait for a 10th Liga title.

The Argentinian, a key part of the Atletico squad to lift the trophy back in 1996, has presided over an outstanding campaign, guiding the club to both the summit of La Liga and a UEFA Champions League final date with bitter rivals Real Madrid on May 24.

His opposite number Martino, however, has come under fire with Barca's hopes of a treble dashed in the space of eight days last month.

Atletico contributed to part of that disappointment, with their 1-0 in the Champions League quarter-final second-leg victory sealing a 2-1 aggregate success. Barca's misery was then compounded by a 2-1 reverse to Real in the Copa del Rey final a week later.

Sandwiched between those two losses was a 1-0 reverse at the hands of Granada, a result that seemingly left their league hopes in tatters.

However, a 17th home Liga win of the season would see Barca lift their fifth title in the last six campaigns.

Atletico defender Miranda, meanwhile, does not believe his side have missed their chance to claim glory by taking just one point from their last two matches, but insists they have to be wary of a dangerous Barca outfit.

"It has been a long season and at the beginning nobody believed that we would be in the fight for the league. We have to play well and look for victory," he said.

"They are a difficult team to play on the counter against because they're so good. They're a strong team, but we will try to play well and win."

Miranda also said he expects star striker Diego Costa to be fit for the clash after a niggling hamstring problem, although Cristian Rodriguez is still struggling with a similar injury.

For Barca, Neymar (toe) and Jordi Alba (hamstring) have not featured since the Copa final and remain doubts, while Gerard Pique's fitness is also uncertain after he cracked his hip in the Champions League quarter-final first leg between the two sides.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid: 5 things to know about La Liga finale

AP Madrid, May 15, 2014 | UPDATED 17:47 IST

costa-messi_650_051514054446.jpg

Atletico Madrid leads Barcelona by three points in the La Liga standings

Atletico Madrid face Barcelona at the Camp Nou with both teams vying for the Spanish league title.

Atletico leads Barcelona by three points in the standings, and only victory will see defending champion Barcelona lift their fifth trophy in six seasons and deny Atletico its first league championship in 18 years.

Atletico knows a draw will suffice in winning its first league title since 1996.

Four out of five matches between the sides have ended in a draw this season, with Atletico claiming a narrow 1-0 win in the second leg of their Champions League quarterfinal.

"The whole season comes down to 90 minutes," said Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta.

Here are five things to know about Saturday's game:

SEASON FINALE, 64 YEARS LATER

Saturday's matchup is only the third time in league history the title has been decided in circumstances such as these.

And both Atletico and Barcelona were involved then too.

Atletico edged Sevilla in a final round decider to close the 1950/51 season - five years after Sevilla emerged triumphant against Barcelona in a similar showdown.

"We can't look to the past, we need to focus on the present," Atletico captain Gabi Fernandez said. "We have a historic opportunity to win the league and the Champions League also."

Atletico, which plays Real Madrid in the Champions League final on May 24, hasn't competed for the title since its league-cup double triumph in 1995/96.

DENTING THE DUOPOLY

Atletico is on the cusp of becoming the first winner besides Barcelona or Real Madrid to win the title since Valencia did it in 2004.

"Whoever manages to distance themselves from all the talk off the field in the buildup will have a better game," said Atletico coach Diego Simoene, who is likely to wait until game time to decide on the availability of injured striker Diego Costa.

Barcelona vowed to dedicate the league to former coach Tito Vilanova, who died last month.

"It would be brutal if we manage to win this league on the last day at home," Iniesta said. "We would celebrate like never before."

BARCELONA'S MOTIVATION

You would hardly think Barcelona was still in the fight for the title after a look at its recent results.

It has drawn its last two matches against relegation-threatened opponents and, in-between those results, organized a team barbecue that looked more like an end-of-season, summer send-off.

"No one would have thought we'd have this opportunity again after we drew at home to Getafe, you'd be crazy to think it," midfielder Xavi Hernandez.

"Why wouldn't we deserve the league," midfielder Andres Iniesta said.

Barcelona is still waiting on the fitness of defenders Gerard Pique and Jordi Alba, while question marks remain over Neymar's return with the Brazil striker having been sidelined nearly one month, and this would be his last club game before preparing for the World Cup.

MARTINO'S LAST STAND

Win or lose the league, coach Gerardo Martino's future with Barcelona does not look bright.

The Argentine coach has had to put up with reports about his future all season long, and even if he manages to steer the club to victory on Saturday it likely won't stop the apparent arrival of Celta Vigo coach and former player Luis Enrique from taking over his job next season.

Martino's reported exit won't be the only one: Barcelona will be saying goodbye to many of the core players that shaped the club over recent years with Carles Puyol and Victor Valdes exiting. Meanwhile, Daniel Alves and Javier Mascherano are some of the players whose futures may also be away from the Catalan club next season.

RELEGATION ARRIVES

While Atletico and Barcelona play for the title, five teams at the other of the table will be playing for survival.

Almeria, Getafe, Granada, Osasuna, and Real Valladolid are all flirting with the second division, with two of them certain to drop alongside last-place Real Betis. Valladolid hosts Granada while Betis is at Osasuna.

Also, Real Madrid's last match ahead of the Champions League final in Lisbon is Saturday against Espanyol as it finishes the season third in the standings.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martino quits as Barcelona coach

BARCELONA Sat May 17, 2014 8:34pm BST

r

Barcelona's coach Gerardo ''Tata'' Martino looks on during a press conference at the Vicente Calderon stadium in Madrid, April 8, 2014. REUTERS/Paul Hanna

(Reuters) - Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino resigned on Saturday after the Catalan side finished second to Atletico Madrid in the La Liga title race.

"I would like to thank the club for putting their confidence in me and I am sorry that I was unable to deliver," Argentine Martino told a news conference.

"The team fought to the end with lots of dignity."

Barcelona finished runners-up in La Liga after drawing 1-1 with champions Atletico in their final game of the season.

"I would like to congratulate Atletico they have done very well all through the season," Martino added.

(Reporting by Tim Hanlon; editing by Toby Davis)

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico Madrid crowned champions of La Liga

406603_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward at Camp Nou
May 17, 2014 6:55:00 PM

Diego Simeone's saw Diego Costa and Arda Turan withdrawn through injury but bravely hit back to seal a 1-1 draw in their title decider at Barcelona on Saturday evening

Atletico Madrid have been crowned champions of La Liga following a dramatic draw in the final fixture against Barcelona at Camp Nou on Saturday.

Barcelona needed a win to claim the title, while a draw was enough for Atletico as Diego Simeone's side went into the game with a three-point lead over Gerardo Martino's men.

Atleti were hit with a double blow early on as first Diego Costa and then Arda Turan limped off with injuries, but the Rojiblancos continued to compete in an evenly disputed first half.

But almost out of nothing, Alexis Sanchez blasted Barca into the lead with a fierce angled drive after 33 minutes.

Atletico started the second half with a bang, however, and after David Villa had hit the post, Diego Godin headed home from a corner to make it 1-1 after 49 minutes.

Lionel Messi had the ball in the net later in the half, but the Argentine's strike was correctly ruled out for offside and Atletico held on to claim La Liga by a three-point margin - their first title since 1996.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Peter Lim completes Valencia buy-out

394815_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
May 17, 2014 2:25:00 PM

The Singapore tycoon will make €60 million immediately available for transfers, while investing €100 million for his shares in the club

Valencia have confirmed Singapore tycoon Peter Lim is the club's new owner after he completed the purchase of a 70.4% majority stake in the club.

The debt-ridden La Liga side were the subject of several other offers from international consortiums but patrons of the Valencia Foundation, who owned the portion of the club bought by Lim, voted in favour of his proposal.

The president of the foundation, Aurelio Martinez, has revealed that €60 million will be immediately be made available for the purchase of new players, while Lim has invested €100 million into the club for his shares.

He has also pledged his commitment to completing the building of Valencia's new stadium, Nou Mestalla, by 2019, when los Che will turn 100-years-old.

However, Lim's first pressing task will be to negotiate the repayment of the club's debt with Spanish banking conglomerate Bankia before the May 27 deadline.

Valencia's current level of debt is reported to stand at €275 million, which has forced the high-profile sales of Juan Mata, David Silva and Roberto Soldado in recent years.