• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Bundesliga Season 2014-15 ║

Gundogan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola satisfied with Cologne victory

27 February 2015

796214header.jpg

Pep Guardiola was pleased with his players after Bayern Munich moved 11 points clear in the Bundesliga with a 4-1 win over Cologne.

Bayern Munich head coach Pep Guardiola was left satisfied with another victory after his team's 4-1 defeat of Cologne at the Allianz Arena.

The reigning Bundesliga champions had scored 14 goals in their previous two league outings, and they looked in the mood for another heavy win on Friday as they went 2-0 up inside 10 minutes courtesy of Bastian Schweinsteiger and Franck Ribery.

However, Cologne pulled one back on the stroke of half-time through Anthony Ujah, and the striker would have levelled after the interval had it not been for a fine stop from Manuel Neuer, who also kept out Marcel Risse from the resulting corner.

Those saves proved to be crucial, as Arjen Robben and Robert Lewandowski completed another routine win to move Bayern 11 points clear at the summit of the Bundesliga.

"I'm happy. We beat the side with the second best record away from and scored four goals," Guardiola said.

"Manuel Neuer made two great saves at key moments. They are a very, very, very difficult opponent. We started well. Then we lost a bit of control.

"After the 3-1 goal by Arjen it was a completely different game again. We dominated again."

Bayern sporting director Matthias Sammer echoed the sentiments of Guardiola.

"We were very impressive in the first 25 minutes," he said.

"You have to pay compliments to Cologne. The fact that we almost went 2-2 must not happen to us.

"They have played to their strengths, but we are pleased that we won."

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Robben: World-class Neuer key to win over Koln

1016042_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Feb 27, 2015 22:29:14

Despite a 4-1 win, the Dutchman has talked up the goalkeeper's influence after he made a string of great saves to keep his side in the lead

Arjen Robben has hailed Manuel Neuer as the determining factor in Bayern Munich's 4-1 win over Koln on Friday.

Goals from Bastian Schweinsteiger and Franck Ribery gave Bayern an early two goal lead but Anthony Ujah halving the deficit on the stroke of half time.

The visitors came close to pulling level, but for some excellent saves from the goalkeeper before the Bavarian side regained control and stretched their lead through Robben and Robert Lewandowski.

And Robben has heaped praise upon the Germany No.1, insisting that without him, they would not have picked up the three points.

"It was a bit weird today," he said after the game. "We started so well but then in the last 10 minutes of the first half we became a bit slower.

"I must say that Manuel Neuer gave us the win. He made some world class saves."

Sporting director Matthias Sammer was not happy with the team's display, but also singled out Neuer as the star of the show.

"We wobbled a bit and that should not happen to us," he said. "It's unnecessary. Manuel Neuer was very good, so was Ribery. But we cannot rely on individual quality forever.

"In their own stadium, Koln could have made it 2-2 and that should not happen to us."

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: Bayern lost control against Koln

980162_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Feb 27, 2015 23:45:25

Despite winning 4-1 on Friday night, the coach was not entirely happy with his side's performance as they almost let slip their lead in the Allianz Arena

Pep Guardiola has criticised his team for "losing control" in their 4-1 Bundesliga win over Koln on Friday.

The league leaders were 2-0 up after 10 minutes thanks to goals from Bastian Schweinsteiger and Franck Ribery before Anthony Ujah pulled one back for the visitors in first-half injury time.

Koln came close to equalising as they forced Manuel Neuer into making some crucial saves before Arjen Robben and Robert Lewandowski scored to kill the game off.

Guardiola was happy to see his side pick up the three points against a difficult opponent, but felt his side should have been more dominant throughout the encounter.

"I’m happy," he told reporters after the game. "We’ve beaten the second best away team in the league and scored four goals, which is very, very difficult against these opponents.

"We started well, but we lost control after a while. Once Arjen had made it 3-1 it was a completely different game again. We recovered our dominance.

"But we won today because Manuel Neuer made two outstanding saves."

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reus: Dortmund simply cannot lose to Schalke

900402_heroa.jpg

By Tom Webber
Feb 28, 2015 08:36:01

The 25-year-old is desperate for BVB to maintain their improved Bundesliga form when they host their local rivals, admitting that the derby is "in his blood"

Defeat is not an option for Borussia Dortmund when they host rivals Schalke on Saturday afternoon, according to Marco Reus.

BVB endured a horrendous start to the Bundesliga campaign and spent the mid-season break in the relegation places, rather than challenging leaders Bayern Munich at the other end of the table as many expected.

Since the second half of the season commenced, though, BVB have lost just one of their five league games, winning their three most recent outings, and now sit in 12th position.

Next up for Jurgen Klopp's men are local adversaries Schalke in the Rivierderby, and Dortmund native Reus is desperate for victory.

"[The derby]’s basically in your blood. Against Schalke you know that you just have to run and fight until you drop and you simply can’t lose," the 25-year-old forward told the Bundesliga's official website.

"That’s been clear to me for years now and I go about this game accordingly. As a team, we know that as well. The derby just means so much to the fans and for the area here. It’s obvious really, but we just have to give it everything we have and win the game.

"Playing at home we obviously want to win the game. It definitely won’t be easy, that’s for sure. Schalke have looked very solid recently. They have a very defensive style, where the backline defends high up the pitch when they have the ball.

"We’ll have to really do our homework on them and prepare for them, and although our chances are good, I’d say it’s still 50-50 at the moment as to who’ll come out on top."

The former Borussia Monchengladbach man signed a new deal at Signal Iduna Park earlier in February, putting to rest talk of a potential move away from the club, and Reus admitted he is delighted to have extended his deal until 2019.

"There was a lot of speculation, a lot was said and even more was written about what I would and wouldn’t do. But at the end of the day it was and still is important for me just to know that I’m happy. That’s simply the thing that concerns me most, and it was for that reason that I chose BVB," he added.

"I feel really happy among the team and the coaching staff. My family lives here, my friends live here. Everything I’m used to is right here and again that’s really important for me. It’s also worth a lot to me in my life. Life beyond football does exist, after all.

"We’ve made great strides in the last few games, which we wanted to do. Since the beginning of the second half of the season, with the exception of the game against Augsburg and to an extent Leverkusen, we’ve progressed in every game.

"The first half of the season was basically a disaster for us and enough has been said about it. It’s not about ironing out the creases in the season so far or salvaging what can still be salvaged; what we have to do is just extract the maximum from every game we can, and we’re ready for that."

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klopp´s ´perfect´ afternoon

28 February 2015

796600header.jpg

Jurgen Klopp was delighted with Dortmund's win over bitter rivals Schalke, singling out Henrikh Mkhitaryan for particularly high praise.

Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp could not hide his delight at watching his side earn a deserved 3-0 win over local Bundesliga rivals Schalke in the 146th Revierderby on Saturday.

A dominant performance was not rewarded until 12 minutes from time, when Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang slotted home the opener following a defensive error.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan added a second just a minute later, before young goalkeeper Timon Wellenreuther was caught in possession by Marco Reus, allowing the Germany international to roll the ball into an empty net.

The result extends Dortmund's winning streak in the Bundesliga to four games and leaves them eight points outside of the Champions League places.

"It was an absolutely perfect afternoon and a really great game for my team," Klopp told Dortmund's official website.

"From the first to the last minute we looked good with the ball, moving into the right places and showed outstanding counter-attacking pressing.

"In the first half we had plenty of chances, but unfortunately we couldn't convert them.

"It was important for us not to show any nerves and we finally made a breakthrough after 77 minutes."

While there was no shortage of impressive individual performances from his team, Klopp was particularly keen to praise the contribution of Armenian playmaker Mkhitaryan.

He added: "I think that everyone wanted to jump on him when he scored. He had a really great game.

"It was the best game I've seen him play for Borussia Dortmund."

However, despite the euphoria of a derby victory, Klopp insists there is still plenty of work to do for his team.

"When I look at the table, we are still only five points clear [of the relegation zone], even though we have won four games in a row," he continued.

"This shows what kind of situation we were in and where we still are. We must not let up now."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heldt apologises after Schalke´s derby humbling

1 March 2015

796853header.jpg

Schalke general manager Horst Heldt issued an apology to fans after Saturday's derby drubbing against Borussia Dortmund.

Schalke's 3-0 Ruhr derby defeat against Borussia Dortmund was so bad that general manager Horst Heldt felt obliged to apologise for it.

The visitors collapsed in the final 12 minutes at Signal Iduna Park as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Marco Reus all got on the scoresheet.

"It was simply a collective failure," Heldt told the club's official website. "We can...only apologise to our fans. We had no chance and have not shown to some extent what we can do.

"That is why the disappointment of defeat...is very large.

"Actually, it was a miracle that it was 0-0 held so long. It was a very bad performance. Overall it was a very bitter day for us."

Roberti Di Matteo's side are now winless in four in all competitions, but still sit fourth in the Bundesliga.

Philipp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hecking ´furious´ with Wolfsburg defence

2 March 2015

797348header.jpg

Wolfsburg coach Dieter Hecking was frustrated with his side's first half but hailed their response in their 5-3 win over Werder Bremen.

Wolfsburg coach Dieter Hecking revealed his team's first half performance against Werder Bremen made him "furious" but applauded the way they fought back to win 5-3 on Sunday.

Bremen moved ahead of Wolfsburg on three occasions before half-time at the Weserstadion in an open Bundesliga encounter, which was labelled "wild" by Hecking.

The home side hit the front in the ninth minute through Zlatko Junuzovic before Daniel Caligiuri equalised immediately, while Franco Di Santo's 16th-minute goal was also cancelled out promptly by Maximilian Arnold.

An own goal from Wolfsburg's Vieirinha saw Bremen lead 3-2 at the break.

Hecking warned his side they cannot afford to defend against higher-quality opposition like they did on Sunday.

"I told them: two goals after - what was is it? 15 minutes? - That's too much," Hecking said at his post-match media conference.

"And you won't find the way back into the game when you play against...better teams. Werder did us a favour, they left us space that we could take advantage of but normally the game is over.

"That is something that makes me furious so I'm not able to be happy that we won the match."

Wolfsburg took control of the match in the second half with in-form striker Bas Dost notching a brace before setting up Wolfsburg's fifth goal to Caligiuri.

"It really was a wild game with lots of long shots - too many, in regards my team," the 50-year-old said.

"That was not the way I wanted them to play and that's what we discussed during half time - that we have to play with more combinations, have more ball possession.

"Then we got back on the pitch and showed an incredible performance you can hardly defend as an opponent. We showed paramount pace and scored great goals."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Subotic rejects Serbia call-up

2 March 2015

797442header.jpg

Radovan Curcic will not have Neven Subotic available for Serbia's Euro 2016 qualifier with Portugal after the defender rejected a call-up.

Neven Subotic will not make his international return with Serbia this month, coach Radovan Curcic has revealed.

The Borussia Dortmund central defender has not featured for his country since 2013, when he expressed his frustration at their failure to qualify for the 2014 World Cup.

Subotic has since suffered a serious knee injury, but has nevertheless made 15 Bundesliga starts for Dortmund this season.

Discussions with Curcic – and Serbian Football Association vice-president Savo Milosevic – took place after Dortmund's 3-0 win over Schalke on Saturday, yet the 26-year-old will not feature in Serbia's squad to face Portugal in Euro 2016 qualifying later this month.

"After a sincere dialogue, it is clear that Subotic is not ready to return at the moment," said Curcic. "The talk with Subotic was just one of many with those who lead the many potential teams.

"The match against Portugal is almost upon us and to me it is important to know which players I have so I can prepare for the upcoming duel.

"Serbia has several options in all places and it is up to me to choose the best one for achieving our ambitions."

Subotic has left the door open to feature for his country again, but will first focus on overcoming any doubts about his troublesome knee.

"It is still important to work on a full recovery from the severe injuries that I had last season that saw me take a nine-month break from football," he said.

"It is true that I came back and am playing, but still I do daily exercises to strengthen the knee.

"Additional engagement around the national team at this point would not be the best option for my condition."

Blaszczykowski

Alfrescian
Loyal

Klopp looking to maintain momentum

2 March 2015

797534header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund are hungry for DFB-Pokal success this season as they look to maintain momentum, says coach Jurgen Klopp.

Jurgen Klopp will not make many changes for Borussia Dortmund's DFB-Pokal trip to Dynamo Dresden as his resurgent side look to continue their recent upturn.

Saturday's 3-0 derby win over Schalke was Dortmund's fourth successive Bundesliga win - a run that has lifted them away from the relegation zone and within eight points of the fourth and final UEFA Champions League qualification spot.

Klopp has been pleased with their charge up the table, and wants to ensure they keep their run going in the cup on Tuesday.

"I do not think it makes sense now to think about rotating," said Klopp. "Those who can [play], will play if they fit into the plan.

"We are not overloaded [with games], and in the cup we have given a good image in recent years.

"This year we want not only to get to Berlin, but when we are there, to win this time."

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stuttgart, Freiburg named in doping claims

2 March 2015

797718header.jpg

Researchers at the University of Freiburg have claimed doping took place at German clubs Stuttgart and Freiburg in the 1970s and '80s.

Researchers have claimed that a study carried out at the University of Freiburg shows the presence of doping at now-Bundesliga clubs Stuttgart and Freiburg in the 1970s and 80s.

A research programme into historical doping allegations shows, according to the university's Evakuierungskommission Freiburger Sportmedizin, there was "systematic misuse of steroids in German professional football".

As well as the German Association of Cyclers, Stuttgart and Freiburg were both implicated, although both clubs say they are yet to receive the full contents of the report.

Freiburg said in a statement they were "only in hand of the two documents having been published - one press release and one abstract" and that they had not seen "detailed results of determination or expert’s reports".

Similarly, Stuttgart said: "VfB Stuttgart is not in hand of the mentioned report.

"The club therefore can't retrace the evidence basing the accusation or know if and to which point they are true."

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: I'm not leaving Bayern to join Man City

960752_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Mar 3, 2015 13:32:49

The former Barcelona coach dismissed rumours that he is on the verge of leaving the German champions and stressed he is happy in Munich

Pep Guardiola has no intention of leaving Bayern Munich at the end of the 2014-15 campaign amid rumours linking him with a move to Manchester City.

The 44-year-old's contract with the Bundesliga champions runs until the summer of 2016, but negotiations over an extension have been put on hold until the summer, fuelling speculation about a potential exit.

Nevertheless, Guardiola has made it clear that he is keen to stay at Bayern for the foreseeable future and has not been in touch with any other clubs.

"Manchester City? I did not receive any offers and I am not waiting for them. I hope to stay at Bayern Munich for a long time," Guardiola said at a press conference.

"I have a contract with this wonderful club and aim to fulfil that. I have not received any offers.

"We'll sit down in the summer and talk. I am very happy here and this is a extraordinary club

Guardiola joined Bayern ahead of the 2013-14 campaign and guided them to the domestic double as well as the European Supercup and Club World Cup in his first season in charge of the Allianz Arena side.

The Bavarians currently sit atop of the Bundesliga table, while they are still in the race to win the Champions League and DFB Pokal, too, as Guardiola aims to emulate Jupp Heynckes and guide Bayern to the treble.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

EPL clubs copying Bundesliga model, says Rummenigge

460654_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Mar 3, 2015 12:34:04

The Bayern supremo thinks there is a growing trend in England of teams building state-of-the-art youth academies, just like in Germany

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge believes English clubs are copying their Bundesliga counterparts by turning their focus towards youth development.

German football has invested heavily in academies in the 21st century to great success in terms of players produced and, more recently, there has been a push in the Premier League to turn towards world-class performance centres.

Rummenigge - whose Bayern have produced the likes of Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller and Holger Badstuber in recent years - fears that German clubs might soon have competition in terms of quality young players produced in the Premier League.

"I get the impression that English clubs are now working well in each aspect of the game," Rummenigge told Sport Bild.

"I'm afraid English clubs are copying the German model with our performance centres and youth academies.

"We visited Manchester City in 2014 and they have built a youth academy for over €200 million. This shows that English clubs are no longer just buying players, but are also investing in education and in their future.

"At the end of the day, England will be a major rival for the Bundesliga."

England currently sit second in the Uefa country ranking behind Spain, with Germany hot on their heels in third position.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola committed to Bayern amid City rumours

3 March 2015

798100header.jpg

Bayern Munich head coach Pep Guardiola intends to fulfil his contract with the Bundesliga leaders, despite reports of a move away.

Pep Guardiola has no intention of leaving Bayern Munich at the end of the season, despite speculation linking him with the Premier League.

The Spanish coach is currently enjoying his second campaign in the Bundesliga, with leaders Bayern eight points clear at the top of the table and still in the DFB-Pokal and UEFA Champions League.

Reports in England have suggested that Manchester City are monitoring his availability should they opt to replace Manuel Pellegrini.

Guardiola, however, insists no contact has been made between the two clubs and that he fully intends to honour his contract with Bayern.

"I have one-and-a-half years left on my contract," he said. "We will sit together in the summer [to discuss a current extension]. Then we'll see.

"This is an outstanding club. I want to complete this contract.

"I have not had any offers [from Manchester City]. I am waiting for nothing."

Bayern can move a step closer to defending their DFB-Pokal triumph under Guardiola last season when they host Eintracht Braunschweig in the last 16 on Wednesday.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reus injury ´only a dead leg´

3 March 2015

798352header.jpg

Marco Reus only suffered a dead leg during Borussia Dortmund's win at Dynamo Dresden on Tuesday, according to coach Jurgen Klopp.

Jurgen Klopp has calmed fears surrounding Marco Reus' injury, claiming he only suffered a dead leg during Tuesday's DFB-Pokal win over Dynamo Dresden.

The Germany international - who was plagued by ankle problems in 2014 - was forced off midway through the second half after a collision with Dennis Erdmann, sparking fears over his fitness.

Ciro Immobile's subsequent brace ensured Dortmund's progression to the last eight, with Reus watching the latter stages from the bench.

And Klopp explained Reus' injury was "only a dead leg".

Dortmund confirmed in a statement on their website that a more detailed diagnosis will be undertaken on Wednesday.

On his side's victory, which sees Dortmund into the quarter-finals of the Pokal for a fourth season running, Klopp added: "It was really difficult.

"The opponent made it difficult for us and the pitch was in a bad condition."

Huntelaar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boateng turned down Barca offer

4 March 2015

798578header.jpg

Jerome Boateng has revealed he rejected an offer from Barcelona as he felt he is equally capable of winning European titles at Bayern Munich.

The former Manchester City and Hamburg man has been key to Bayern's recent domestic dominance and also won the UEFA Champions League in 2013.

"I really don’t know exactly how much Barcelona offered for me in detail, but it’s true that I received an offer [from them]," Boateng told Sport Bild.

"If a club like Barca shows interest in you then of course it’s a huge honour.

"I never really considered it, at this time I was preparing for the new season with Bayern.

"Today, you no longer have to go from Bayern to Barcelona if you want to win the Champions League."

Pep Guardiola's side are on course for a treble this term as they remain in the running for Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and UEFA Champions League titles.

"I play at one of the top four clubs in the world," Boateng added.

"I'd be delighted to continue my career at the club for a long time and, some day, retire here after [winning] more titles."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern can´t be caught, claims Hoffenheim chief

4 March 2015

798694header.jpg

Bayern Munich will continue to dominate the Bundesliga for years to come because only a handful of teams can consistently compete, according to Hoffenheim's head of international relations and scouting Lutz Pfannenstiel.

The Bavarian giants have won the league in the last two seasons by some distance, while also clinching the DFB-Pokal, and remain on course for a treble this season after progressing to the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League.

While Wolfsburg have offered a strong challenge to stay within eight points of the leaders, Hoffenheim chief Pfannenstiel claims Bayern are currently too strong to be caught.

"Bayern are a brilliant team with an unbelievably good squad and maybe over the next few years the measurement will be in Europe, where none of the other German teams are currently on that level," he told Perform.

"Of course there will be teams trying to make them stumble but at the end of the day they are just too good to be able to be pushed off.

"A few years ago Borussia Dortmund were able to do it but over the next two or three years I think it will be a one-horse race for the title.

"Wolfsburg, Bayer Leverkusen, Borussia Dortmund and Schalke will always be the teams challenging for the international places and then there are other teams like ourselves who are working hard to get established in the top eight.

"If you're up there, then you always have the chance to be near the European places and at the end of the day that's what all the teams play for."

Bayern beat Hoffenheim 4-0 in November and will host the champions in April.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dortmund breathe sigh of relief over Reus injury

4 March 2015

798692header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund forward Marco Reus only suffered bruising to his knee during the incident that saw him withdrawn from Tuesday's DFB-Pokal victory at Dynamo Dresden.

The Germany international - plagued by ankle problems in 2014 - was forced off midway through the first half of the third-round clash after colliding with Dennis Erdmann.

While it sparked fears over Reus potentially facing another lengthy lay-off, Jurgen Klopp initially explained Reus' injury was "only a dead leg".

"After further examinations on Wednesday, Dortmund confirmed Reus is merely a doubt for Saturday's Bundesliga clash with Hamburg and does not face weeks or months out of action," read a Dortmund statement.

"The first diagnosis of team physician Dr. Markus Braun has fortunately confirmed Marco Reus only suffered a painful bruise above the knee in the game with Dynamo Dresden.

"There is no danger of a longer-term absence. The 25-year-old international will be intensively supported by the medical department.

"Attention is being paid to how the bruise in the thigh muscle develops."

Reus has netted 11 goals this season and had scored in five consecutive matches prior to Tuesday's fixture.

Harnik

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola: Not every game's a cakewalk for Bayern

1037352_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Mar 4, 2015 22:36:00

After the Bavarians battled to a DFB-Pokal quarter-final place with a comparatively lower scoreline than usual, their coach stressed that routs are not always possible

Pep Guardiola has expressed his frustration at the unrealistic expectation that Bayern Munich will trample every opponent, after they had to battle their way to a 2-0 win over Eintracht Braunschweig on Wednesday.

The Bavarians have an eight-point lead in the Bundesliga and headed into the midweek DFB-Pokal last-16 meeting with their second-tier opponents having scored a remarkable 18 goals in their previous three domestic matches.

However, Braunschweig proved to be tougher-than-expected opponents to break down at the Allianz Arena, although David Alaba's effort on the brink of half-time and a wonderful Mario Gotze goal shortly into the latter 45 minutes sealed a quarter-final berth for the reigning champions.

Guardiola was adamant after the victory in Munich that the media and football fans should not assume every match will involve a glut of goals.

"Ahead of the game people were asking how many we'd score," the Catalan coach told reporters. "Today you saw that every game is difficult."

Bayern will find out who they face in the last eight of the tournament in Sunday's draw, with the quarter-final clashes to be played on April 7-8.

The other teams through to the next round of the DFB-Pokal are: Bayer Leverkusen, Hoffenheim, Freiburg, last year's runners up Borussia Dortmund, Wolfsburg, giant-killers Arminia Bielefeld and Borussia Monchengladbach.

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stuttgart 0 Hertha Berlin 0: Strugglers share the spoils

6 March 2015

800068header.jpg

Stuttgart and Hertha Berlin did their hopes of Bundesliga survival no favours as they played out a dire 0-0 draw at the Mercedes-Benz Arena on Friday.

Huub Stevens' Stuttgart went into the game knowing a win would see them go within a point of moving out of the two automatic relegation places.

But the Bundesliga's bottom club never looked like taking all three points in a game that will be remembered for its ill-tempered nature rather than any significant chances.

Tensions boiled over in the second half as Hertha goalkeeper Thomas Kraft was booked after claiming to have been elbowed by Georg Niedermeier and then confronting Christian Gentner.

Neither team could find a breakthrough despite seven additional minutes, with Hertha substitute Nico Schulz seeing red for a second booking in the final minute of play.

Stuttgart stay bottom, three points adrift of the relegation play-off place occupied by Paderborn, who Hertha are two points clear of.

DieMannschaft

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bundesliga Preview: Immobile out to impress as Dortmund target top half

5 March 2015

799189header.jpg

Borussia Dortmund aim to continue their recent Bundesliga revival at Hamburg on Saturday with Ciro Immobile back among the goals.

Jurgen Klopp's side have climbed from the foot of the table to 10th in recent weeks following four straight league wins.

Italian striker Immobile has continued to draw criticism, but scored both goals in Tuesday's 2-0 DFB-Pokal win against third-tier Dynamo Dresden.

It marked the first time that Immobile has found the net in 2015, taking his season tally to 10 in all competitions and his team-mates recognised the significance.

"I'm delighted to have been able to help the team. After I scored the second goal Mats Hummels came over to me and said I'm really happy for you. Those words did me a lot of good," he told the club's official website.

Marco Reus also picked up what Klopp feared was a serious injury in that match before it was diagnosed as a dead leg, and he could yet be available for Saturday.

Bayer Leverkusen also advanced to the DFB-Pokal last eight on Tuesday, but needed extra time to get past Kaiserslautern and will therefore be grateful that their match against Paderborn is not until Sunday.

Hoffenheim and Freiburg joined Leverkusen in the quarter-finals after preparing for weekend clashes with Schalke and Werder Bremen, respectively, with cup success.

Bremen, however, will be desperate to atone for their midweek Pokal capitulation to third-tier Bielefeld.

Bayern Munich continue their charge towards the title with a trip to Hannover on Saturday, a team Pep Guardiola's men dismantled 4-0 in the reverse fixture in October.

The champions' nearest challengers, Wolfsburg, sit eight points adrift, but can stretch their winning run to five league matches with a victory at faltering Augsburg.

Strugglers Hertha Berlin and Stuttgart meet in the Friday night match before Mainz host Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday and Eintracht Frankfurt travel to Cologne on Sunday.