• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Barclays Premier League Season 2013-14 ║

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
High praise for the peacock from Ferguson. Personally, I thought Eric Cantona was their best ever and most influential player.

A bargain from Leeds for £1.2million and it wasn't even Fergie that bought him!

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Arsenal have continued their blistering start to the season in Walcott's absence, while Tottenham's Andros Townsend impressed on the right flank as England booked their place at next summer's World Cup.

I really think Walcott has blown his chances of being on the plane to Brazil. Assuming Townsend reminds consistent for Spurs, I expect Hodgson to give him the nod over Walcott.

Always thought he was a bit over-rated when it mattered and his current injury hasn't helped his cause.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
High praise for the peacock from Ferguson. Personally, I thought Eric Cantona was their best ever and most influential player.

A bargain from Leeds for £1.2million and it wasn't even Fergie that bought him!

Cantona wasn't at the club when Fergie joined. It was Fergie who bought Cantona.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Abramovich closes in on historic New York mansion

October 23, 2013, 3:13 pm

The Russian billionaire is reportedly looking to buy out Berwind Mansion's two remaining residents.

abramovich_360_196ej6d-196ej6h.jpg

Photo: Getty

Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich is a mere $24 million (US$23 million) away from owning the entire Berwind Mansion on Fifth Avenue, according to the New York Post.

Earlier this month, the owner of Chelsea football club bought three units in the building from the family of late real estate mogul Howard Ronson for US$75 million.

Built in the 1800s by coal magnate Edward Berwind, the property was transformed into apartments in the 1970s. Ronson, who passed away in 2007, had hoped to turn the grand space with views of Central Park into a single home.

billionairehomes_500_196ej6d-196ej6l.jpg

The world's most expensive billionaire homes

Two other residents remain, and rumours are swirling that Abramovich is trying to buy them out.

Page Six reports that the Russian tycoon has offered between US$10 million and US$15 million to fashion designer Adolfo Sardina, who lives in a duplex; while Eugenia Olazabal, who has owned a fifth-floor unit since 1981, is reportedly holding out for US$23 million.

Once described as "about as close to Versailles as residential New York has to offer", the Italian Renaissance-style building boasts intricate carvings and plasterwork.

Abramovich's property portfolio includes homes in London, France, St. Barts, Colorado and Los Angeles, and the 533-foot Eclipse, one of the world's largest luxury yachts.

PetrCech

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'He doesn't know the meaning of the word loyalty' - Keane hits back at Ferguson over book claims

171632_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee15
Oct 22, 2013 9:04:00 PM

The former midfielder believes the Scot is out of line for criticising several former players, including David Beckham, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Wayne Rooney, in his new book

Roy Keane has hit back at claims made by former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson in his autobiography.

Ferguson had stated that Keane went past the point of no return when he severly criticised his team-mates in an interview with United's in-house television channel in 2005.

Before being locked away, the interview was shown to the United squad, prompting a mass row, and Keane was duly sold to Celtic - a move Ferguson says helped the team relax.

SIR ALEX FERGUSON'S AUTOBIOGRAPHY

READ FERGUSON'S EXPLOSIVE QUOTES ON DAVID BECKHAM, ROY KEANE & MORE... But Keane has claimed that Ferguson has broken his trust with his former players by criticising them in his book, 'Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography', which was released to the press on Tuesday.

"I do remember having conversations with the manager when I was at the club about loyalty," he told ITV Sport. "In my opinion I don't think he knows the meaning of the word.

"It doesn't bother me too much what he has to say about me but to constantly criticise other players at the club who brought him a lot of success I find very, very strange.

"But I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it. I just don't think the manager needs to do it. I don't know how many books he's written now but you have to draw the line eventually, to say listen these players have all been top servants to Man United and a lot of these players helped the manager win lots of trophies so

"Can you imagine if we never won a trophy what he would have said? We brought success to the club, we gave it everything we had when we were there so; but as I said it's just part of modern life now. People like to do books and criticise their ex-players."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Backtracked! Rooney insists Fergie has changed his version of transfer request... and claims life is better under Moyes

By NEIL ASHTON PUBLISHED: 20:02 GMT, 23 October 2013 | UPDATED: 00:53 GMT, 24 October 2013

Wayne Rooney hit back at Sir Alex Ferguson by claiming he has been given a new lease of life under David Moyes.The Manchester United striker, who played in their 1-0 victory over Real Sociedad, was criticised by Ferguson in his memoirs published this week.Rooney, who turns 28 on Thursday, also claimed Ferguson has corrected his version of events over his desire to quit United for Chelsea in the summer.

article-2474136-18EFC44900000578-125_634x436.jpg

Ear we go: Rooney faces the inevitable question on Ferguson's book

article-2474136-18EFC34D00000578-663_634x434.jpg

Up to scratch: Rooney says he had no problems with his former manager's book

The United forward said: 'The new coaching staff have come in an given me a new lease of life. I'm really enjoying working with David Moyes.'We're working to try and be successful as a team. We've got a lot of players hungry.'Obviously he's (Ferguson) got his own opinion. I've not said nothing and thankfully he's come back and corrected the story that I put a transfer request in.'He's come back and proved that I didn't, so I'm thankful for him for it.'I haven't seen him since he retired so I'm happy under the new management and we're working to get results under David Moyes and his coaching staff.'That's the main thing for me. The other stuff doesn't concern me.'

article-2474136-18EF6D2A00000578-615_634x379.jpg

Watching brief: Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson chats to former chief executive David Gill during Wednesday's game with Real Sociedad at Old Trafford

article-2474136-18EF658000000578-403_634x417.jpg

Happy: Ferguson looked relaxed before kick-off

Moyes claimed Rooney is on the verge of something special at United after his summer move to join Jose Mourinho at Chelsea was blocked.The United chief, who has taken seven points from his opening three Champions League group games at Old Trafford, backed him to become a great.Moyes said: 'From day one I can only say that he trained really hard and I think in a way he's the New Wayne Rooney.'He is capable of doing different things. I can't explain how hard he works and hopefully Manchester United will benefit and so will England.'Moyes also revealed that Robin van Persie is expected to return to the United team for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Stoke at Old Trafford.Van Persie, who has a toe injury and a slight groin strain, missed the victory over Sociedad. Moyes added: 'I hope he will be fit for the weekend. It's just caught up on him and I wanted to give him a breather.'

article-2474136-18EF671300000578-908_634x433.jpg

On the run: Wayne Rooney took just 60 seconds to carve open to Sociedad defence

article-2474136-18EF7AF200000578-987_634x399.jpg

Going for goal: Rooney dispatches his shot only to see it strike the woodwork

article-2474136-18EF61E000000578-880_634x344.jpg

Own goal: Rooney's brilliance led to Inigo Martinez putting through his own net

United were in control of the win for large spells and they should have improved on the own goal scored by Inigo Martinez after just 70 seconds.Moyes added: 'We played well and we created opportunities. While it was 1-0 there was a bit of a feeling about Saturday against Southampton left inside me.'We need to be more ruthless, the job is to score and get them in the net. We have to take more responsibility. We have to make the job a lot easier. Then we could relax and not play with the same anxiety because we have slipped up a couple of times this season.'

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I lost the dressing room... I wasn't good enough: Holloway leaves Crystal Palace with frank admission

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 21:31 GMT, 23 October 2013 | UPDATED: 22:14 GMT, 23 October 2013

Ian Holloway said losing the Crystal Palace dressing room was a key motive behind the decision to end his 11 months as manager of the club. The 50-year-old’s departure, officially by mutual consent, was confirmed following 48 hours of talks with co-chairman Steve Parish following Palace’s 4-1 defeat by Fulham on Monday. Sportsmail revealed how Parish was on the brink of parting with Holloway amid fears the Palace players were no longer responding to their manager and, speaking at the Soho Hotel in the West End of London last night, a forthright Holloway admitted as much.

article-0-18EF2FA800000578-553_634x435.jpg

Lost the dressing room: Ian Holloway admitted he couldn't get new players to buy into his cause

TOO MUCH TOO SOON?

Ian Holloway says he tried to change too much too quickly at Crystal Palace and he didn't value the spirit of the group that won promotion.
14 new players were signed by Palace during the transfer window
4 of the new players have turned out more than five times this season
2 new signings are not even in the 25-man squad

He said: ‘With the changes in the squad, I have to hold my hand up and say we didn’t keep the spirit that got us up, we lost some very important parts of it. ‘I think we have tried to change too quickly. Some of the new lads, their attitude, I’m finding it slightly annoying and that ain’t right. ‘I didn’t value enough the spirit of the group [that got us up]. We changed to give us a chance to stay up but lost the spirit of the group. ‘We’ve got worse in that vein rather than better, and I owe it to the lads to admit that.

article-0-18EF2FA000000578-567_634x435.jpg

The end: Ian Holloway (left) and Crystal Palace Co-Chairman Steve Parish attend a press conference to announce their parting by mutual consent

article-2474371-18EF303100000578-335_634x435.jpg

‘Sometimes we needed to shut up shop and defend a bit better —when I talked about that with the group, it unsettled them because they were so good at doing different things.‘I’m not saying the players are not good enough but they need to buy into this club like the last lot.So I think someone fresh coming in right now with more experience at this level [would help]. ‘I’m not bitter, I will never be bitter. I’m privileged to have worked for Palace. ‘I want the players to understand that with me out of the way, this will stop and a new man has a chance to start again.

article-2474371-18E4821E00000578-782_634x435.jpg

Writing on the wall: Palace's 4-1 home defeat by Fulham was Holloway's last game in charge

article-2471133-18E47F4600000578-428_634x421.jpg

They led: Adrian Mariappa rose above the huge frame of Brede Hangeland to give Palace a dream start

‘Not much needs changing but I can’t change who I am because the lads won’t believe in that.

‘If I kept taking Steve’s money, that’s not right. I want to do a job I feel is right for the club .

‘They have got 30 games left and I understand how wonderful it is for Palace to enjoy those games and not have all this circus flowing around us.’

Such developments followed intense speculation about Holloway’s future. Sportsmail understands Holloway offered his resignation soon after his side’s capitulation to Fulham on Monday. After two rounds of discussions following the loss, Holloway agreed to hold another meeting with Parish and other senior Palace officials on Tuesday. Parish insisted he tried to convince the former Blackpool boss he still had a future at Selhurst Park but it seemed Holloway’s mind was made up and, when the players were told to take a second consecutive day off yesterday, they knew the writing was on the wall.

article-2473282-18EE970D00000578-141_634x417.jpg

Contrast: Holloway lifts the Championship play-off final trophy after beating Watford at Wembley

WHO'S NEXT IN LINE?

Who will succeed Ian Holloway? Here's the list of favourites, courtesy of Coral.

2/1 Tony Pulis, 3/1 Neil Warnock, 5/1 Roberto di Matteo, 8/1 Mike Phelan, 10/1 Dougie Freedman, 10/1Gareth Southgate, 16/1 Iain Dowie, 33/1 Ian Wright.

The players were unaware of Holloway’s attempts to leave the club on Monday and many were shocked by his departure yesterday, feeling he would be in charge for Saturday’s clash against Arsenal. Others, however, were less surprised — feeling the club had to make a change, having privately questioned Holloway’s training methods. Holloway, though, claims there should be no question marks over his work ethic, insisting his time in south London had left him ‘exhausted’. ‘I’m very tired as well,’ he said. ‘Part of the conversation I had with Steve was “have I got the energy left?”.

‘I couldn’t have worked harder, I’m tired and I’m going to have a rest. I had five days off this summer, five days when I didn’t ring Steve through the day. ‘I’m exhausted, to be honest. It’s about energy and I feel pretty tired.’ Holloway will take his time before deciding whether or not to venture back into football management, but the former Queens Park Rangers midfielder insists he holds no ill-feeling towards Parish and the club’s other senior executives following his exit. ‘I called this meeting to show solidarity,’ he said. ‘We’ve had good grown-up discussion, Steve and me. We both still care about Palace. Am I happy to walk away? Yes.

article-2473282-0327D4A200000514-403_634x416.jpg

If the cap fits: Tony Pulis' name has already been mentioned in relation to the vacant post and he is the bookies' favourite

‘I hold myself and Steve both responsible. They know how hard I’ve worked and didn’t want me to do this.

‘If they can use some of the money to get a manager they couldn’t afford when they chose me, that might make the difference.

‘And, if it happens, nobody will jump higher than me. It’s a special place. I didn’t understand that before.’

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Phelan: United would have signed one of the absolute best if Fergie and Gill were still in charge... but I won't tell you who

By GRAEME YORKE PUBLISHED: 06:37 GMT, 24 October 2013 | UPDATED: 07:28 GMT, 24 October 2013

Mike Phelan, the former Manchester United assistant manager, insists the club would have made a 'world class' major signing in the summer if Sir Alex Ferguson and David Gill were still at the helm.United failed to make any marquee signings in the summer, with Marouane Fellaini the only first-team signing for £27million from Everton.

article-2474755-01E38D4100000514-541_634x470.jpg

If only: Phelan (left) says Fergie and Gill would have made a world class marquee signing this season

They failed with approaches for Ander Herrera and Leighton Baines, but Phelan claims the highest calibre of player would have signed arrived at Old Trafford if the situation was different, but couldn't name who.'If Sir Alex and David Gill had still been the bosses... I won’t name the player, but there would have been a star signing - one of the absolute best players in the world,' Phelan told a Scandinavian United supporters’ club magazine.'It was something the boss talked about, and the owners and David Gill were also quite clear on doing it.

article-2474755-18119780000005DC-360_634x446.jpg

Signed up: Fergie and Gill had years of experience of snapping up the world's top players

article-2474755-18E7313500000578-922_634x411.jpg

Just the one: United's only major signing this summer was Marouane Fellaini from Everton

'There’s very few of such players out there. I think it’s clear to everybody who I’m talking about.Phelan also insisted the club did not need a clear-out due to its strength from last season, something Moyes has been criticised for early on in this campaign.'We didn’t see the need for a big clear-out of the squad, that’s why Sir Alex and I had one big signing in sight.'Two of the biggest transfers of the summer involved English teams, with Gareth Bale moving to Real Madrid from Tottenham for a record £85million, while Mesut Ozil went from Madrid to Arsenal for £42.5million.

article-2474755-1BDFDC42000005DC-814_634x427.jpg

Anonymous: Phelan didn't name the player United could have signed, but Mesut Ozil (above) and Gareth Bale (below) were the biggest transfers of the summer involving English clubs

article-2474755-1B9565E9000005DC-142_634x425.jpg

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hundreds queue at Manchester supermarket for chance to meet Ferguson as hard-hitting autobiography hits the shelves

By ADAM SHERGOLD PUBLISHED: 10:07 GMT, 24 October 2013 | UPDATED: 10:28 GMT, 24 October 2013

Hundreds of people have been queuing at a branch of Tesco in Manchester since the early hours of this morning for the opportunity to get a signed copy of Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography.The former Manchester United manager is due to attend the book signing at the Tesco Extra store in Salford from 11am as his second set of memoirs, covering the period from 1999 onwards, is released.Ferguson, 71, who in May stepped down as United boss after more than 26 years at the helm, pulls no punches in the book on the moments of controversy that defined his reign.

article-2474807-18F32F5B00000578-818_634x424.jpg

This is your life: Sir Alex Ferguson holds a copy of his new autobiography prior to a book signing session at the Tesco Extra in Salford on Thursday

article-2474807-18F2D97A00000578-44_634x423.jpg

Waiting in line: Hundreds queued outside a branch of Tesco in Salford for the opportunity to get a signed copy of Sir Alex Ferguson's new autobiography

article-2474807-18F2DA4B00000578-49_634x383.jpg

Fanatical: One fan wore a Ferguson mask as he queued to buy a copy of the hard-hitting book that has dominated the headlines this week

article-2474807-18F2F24D00000578-714_634x401.jpg

Flying off the shelves: Staff at the Tesco store set hundreds of copies of the book, released today, in readiness for the book signing

article-2474807-18F2F30D00000578-100_634x433.jpg

article-2474807-18F2DA5F00000578-652_634x423.jpg

Settling a number of old scores, Ferguson is critical of Liverpool and their former manager Rafael Benitez, ex-players David Beckham and Roy Keane, and current star Wayne Rooney. He also reveals that he was twice offered the England manager's job and that Rooney pleaded with him to sign Arsenal's Mesut Ozil three years ago. Desperate to get their hands on a souvenir, fans started queuing hours before the signing, with the line snaking from the store's entrance right through the car park.

article-2474807-18F2D98700000578-989_634x342.jpg

Waiting game: The queues snaked right out into the car park

article-2474807-18F2D99D00000578-463_634x463.jpg

article-2474807-18F2DA9700000578-380_634x956.jpg

article-2474807-18F2DAA900000578-364_634x465.jpg

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Footballers turning to payday firms to fund gambling habits, according to Sporting Chance CEO

By ASHLEY CLEMENTS PUBLISHED: 09:43 GMT, 24 October 2013 | UPDATED: 10:33 GMT, 24 October 2013

Footballers are resorting to payday loans to fund their gambling habits, according to charity Sporting Chance. Players are so desperate to bet they are taking out short-term loans before turning to the charity for help, chief executive Colin Bland told BBC Radio Five Live.The charity, which helps sportsmen and women deal with addiction, has dealt with one footballer who has lost an estimated £7million in three years of gambling.

article-2474799-1203FB31000005DC-866_634x424.jpg

Wrong-turn: Matthew Etherington has talked openly about overcoming his gambling problems

'It’s not uncommon for us to have a footballer who has turned up that’s in a circle of payday loans and gambling,' said Bland.'One of the (footballers) I was talking to sort of said ‘actually one of the problems is I can afford to place these bets’.'We’ve worked with players who have lost up to £7million in three years in gambling. But the particular young man I’m talking about said ‘it’s the quantity of bets I’m placing.''I’m placing 50 bets a day. All I’m thinking about is my next bet or my last bet. It’s affecting my life, it’s affecting my performance, it’s affecting my marriage. It’s affecting what sort of father I can be’.'Bland added: 'We’ve had sportsmen who have got caught in the scenario of taking out payday loans to place those bets. We’ve had several of those over the last couple of years. The vicious circle continues.'

article-2474799-02F2915A00000514-617_634x427.jpg

Reformed: Sporting Chance have helped Paul Gascoigne to beat his addiction

Sporting Chance works over a whole range of sports but is best known for helping former players, such as former England international Paul Gascoigne, deal with addiction.Stoke winger Matthew Etherington admitted he would have turned to payday lenders when he was gambling but because they were not an option he instead went to loan sharks. Etherington, who has reportedly lost £1.5million in gambling on greyhounds, horse racing and poker, told Five Live: 'I don’t think the payday loans were about when I was gambling otherwise I would probably be one of (the players using payday loans) myself.'Etherington revealed he had started gambling as a young player at Tottenham when he would bet £20 a time on greyhound races but his addiction escalated when he moved to West Ham.'That’s when it became a problem. I started going to the bookies during the day,' he added.

article-2474799-083C4B36000005DC-479_634x402.jpg

Honest: Etherington has gambled away over £1.5m during his football career

'It just snowballed to where I was frequently spending my month’s wages and then lending money off loan sharks and towards the end it got very, very bad.'It never got to the point where I was threatened physically or anything like that but I couldn’t always pay it back because I was gambling it away. There were a few heated conversations.'Etherington finally got help when he moved to Stoke and his family gave him an ultimatum in September 2009. But he claims a general ignorance of what he calls an illness does not help, particularly among people who criticise footballers who become gambling addicts because of the large sums of money they earn.'They just think I’m stupid which I think is quite naive. There is such ignorance about addiction.'

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chicharito should reject Mexico to save Manchester United career - Ferretti

327837_heroa.jpg

By Mike Keane11
Oct 24, 2013 4:14:00 PM

The Tigres UANL coach has defended the striker, who faced severe criticism following his recent performances for El Tri, and feels he has the right to put the champions first

Tigres UANL coach Ricardo Ferretti feels Chicharito should quit Mexico in order to boost his chances at Manchester United.

Despite his hero status in his homeland, the 25-year-old was criticised for his performance in El Tri’s 2-1 World Cup qualifier loss against Costa Rica earlier this month after missing a number of chances.

Ferretti has defended Chicharito, claiming that he has every right to reject his national team in favour of fighting for his place at Old Trafford.

"It's his right [not to attend]. How many lost opportunities has there been for Chicharito in being a starter for Manchester United?" the Brazilian told Record.

"He can make that decision to refuse and to say 'I've almost lost my chance of being a regular in Manchester, and for this'."

The forward has featured intermittently under David Moyes this season, making only four appearances and scoring one goal.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho hit with FA fine

331360_heroa.jpg

Oct 24, 2013 4:38:00 PM

The Chelsea manager was sent to the stands after confronting referee Anthony Taylor over time-wasting, but has avoided a touchline ban after accepting the governing body's charge

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been hit with an £8,000 fine by the Football Association after being sent to the stands against Cardiff City.

The Portuguese coach was sent to the stands after berating referee Anthony Taylor for warning Branislav Ivanovic over time-wasting.

Mourinho was forced to watch the remaining 20 minutes from the East Stand amongst Chelsea fans, but has avoided a touchline ban after accepting the FA's decision to fine him.

The statement read: "Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been fined £8,000 after he admitted a breach of FA Rule E3 in that his behaviour in or around the 69th minute of his side's game against Cardiff City on 19 October 2013 amounted to improper conduct.

"The fine is the standard penalty for the offence."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Five things to know about the Premier League

October 26, 2013 12:12 AM
Associated Press

220398_mainimg.jpg

Southampton have the second best defensive record in Europe’s five elite leagues, behind only Roma. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON: The Premier League season is barely 2 months old, and Manchester United have left themselves with little margin for further errors if the title is to be successfully defended.

United only dropped 25 points last season as Alex Ferguson delivered the club’s 20th English title before retiring.

In just eight games this season, David Moyes’ side have already missed out on 13 points and are eight behind leaders Arsenal in eighth place.

After being held to a 1-1 draw at home to Southampton last weekend, United Saturday host a Stoke side sitting just a point above the relegation zone. A win for Stoke, though, would put them level on points with United.

Here are five things to know about the weekend fixtures.

ROONEY REVIVED

Wayne Rooney demonstrated in United’s Champions League victory over Real Sociedad Wednesday just how much the team is relying on him once again. The striker told Ferguson toward the end of last season he wanted to leave because he was unhappy at his playing time. Ferguson had reservations about Rooney’s fitness.

And now? “The new coach that has come in [has given me] a new lease of life,” Rooney said. “I’m really enjoying working under David Moyes.”

That joy might not last long if the results don’t pick up.

“We have been too inconsistent,” Rooney said. “We have to get that consistency about our game ... We are already a few points behind in the league so we can’t drop any more at this stage.”

FAMILIAR OPPONENTS

It’s a weekend of celebrations in England as the Football Association celebrates its 150th anniversary Saturday. Hours before a birthday dinner attended by FIFA President Sepp Blatter at the London site of the FA’s first meeting comes a landmark match: Aston Villa vs. Everton.

The significance? No English sides have played each other more times than Villa and Everton, who will meet for the 215th time Saturday. Their 196 league games have all come in the top flight, and they have also played 18 times in cup competitions.

TITLE CHALLENGERS

One of the most anticipated matches of the season so far is Sunday when Chelsea and Man City – two of the leading title contenders – meet at Stamford Bridge. Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea are two points behind Arsenal in second place and one ahead of Manuel Pellegrini’s City. Mourinho and Pellegrini are being reunited after arriving in England from Spain in the offseason. Last season Mourinho’s Real Madrid and Pellegrini’s Malaga each won one of their league encounters.

SITUATION VACANT

Before he could face the daunting prospect of playing leaders Arsenal Saturday, Ian Holloway decided to step down as Crystal Palace manager Wednesday. Admitting he felt worn out and had lost the ability to inspire the team, Holloway became the second managerial casualty of the Premier League season.

Palace have lost seven of their eight games since gaining promotion, leaving Holloway’s successor with quite a tough task to keep the team in the top flight.

SOUTHAMPTON SOLID

Southampton are only in their second season back in the top flight, and is this year’s surprise package.

Heading into Saturday’s home match against Fulham, the south-coast side are sixth, four points behind the leaders.

And the team have conceded just three goals, making it them the second stingiest defense in Europe’s top five leagues – England, Germany, France, Italy and Spain – behind Roma.

Last edited:

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho and Pellegrini meet again

October 26, 2013 12:12 AM
By Mike Collett

220598_mainimg.jpg

LONDON: If their rivalry as coaches in Spain is anything to go by, Jose Mourinho will emerge victorious when his Chelsea side play Manuel Pellegrini’s Manchester City at Stamford Bridge Sunday.

Portuguese Mourinho succeeded Argentine Pellegrini as Real Madrid coach in May 2010 and after Pellegrini resurfaced as Malaga’s manager five months later, they faced each other seven times in La Liga and the King’s Cup in two and a half seasons.

The Premier League is a far more unpredictable competition than La Liga and they will meet Sunday with little to choose between them on current form.

Chelsea are second on 17 points, City are fourth on 16, both have won their last two league matches by convincing scores and both won away in the Champions League this week with Chelsea beating Schalke 04 and City winning at CSKA Moscow.

Both teams have also been tipped as potential champions and both at the very least are targeting a top-four finish, but City have the better recent record having won four and drawn one of their last five matches against Chelsea including last season’s Community Shield and FA Cup semifinal victories at Wembley.

Chelsea could end the weekend in top spot if they beat City and current league leaders Arsenal slip up.

But Arsenal are making the short trip across London to Crystal Palace, who have lost seven of their eight league matches and parted company with manager Ian Holloway Wednesday, so a Palace win would constitute the biggest upset of the season.

Until they were beaten 2-1 by Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League Tuesday, Arsenal had gone 12 games unbeaten since losing their opening Premier League match to Aston Villa in August.

Saturday’s match will be the first between them since February 2005 and the Gunners have a doubt over midfielder Jack Wilshere, who picked up an ankle knock against Borussia Tuesday. Palace have far bigger doubts over their ability to stay in the Premier League after promotion last season.

Palace were crushed 4-1 at home by Fulham in another London derby Monday and look all set for more capital punishment from Arsene Wenger’s in-form and free-scoring side.

Liverpool could also move into top spot if they win at home to midtable West Bromwich Albion and Arsenal lose, although West Brom are on a good run. Apart from a penalty shootout defeat to Arsenal in the League Cup, they are unbeaten in their last six matches, which includes a 2-1 win at Manchester United.

The champions, who beat Real Sociedad 1-0 in the Champions League Wednesday, a scoreline that barely reflected their dominance, will be pleased the focus switches back to what they do on the field at home to Stoke City rather than the revelations from former manager Alex Ferguson’s latest autobiography.

Ferguson’s thoughts on his 26 years as manager made the front and back pages this week, but the thoughts of his successor David Moyes are firmly focused on making former United player Mark Hughes’ return to Old Trafford an unhappy one as the current Stoke boss.

United have made their poorest start to a season for 24 years and are eighth, eight points behind Arsenal with just one win from their last four league games having let Southampton steal a last-gasp equalizer for a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford last week.

Moyes, given Ferguson’s full support this week, will be hoping that Robin van Persie returns to action after missing the Real Sociedad game with toe and groin niggles. Stoke are hovering just a point above the drop zone after scoring one goal and taking just two points from their last five league matches.

Bad as that is, it is better than bottom-of-the-table Sunderland’s recent run of six successive defeats, but new boss Gus Poyet, whose first match in charge ended in a 4-0 hammering at Swansea City last week, will be hoping for a change of fortune Sunday.

Sunderland host archrivals Newcastle United in what is bound to be a typically passionate Tyne-Tees derby. A first win of the season might just be the kick-start Sunderland need to save a season that seems destined to end in relegation.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hernandez should not have been on pitch to score Man United's winner, fumes Hughes

By CHRIS WHEELER and JOE BERNSTEIN PUBLISHED: 18:36 GMT, 26 October 2013 | UPDATED: 21:30 GMT, 26 October 2013

Mark Hughes claimed that Javier Hernandez should not even have been on the pitch to head Manchester United's winner against Stoke at Old Trafford. Hernandez snatched the decisive goal 10 minutes from time to give United a dramatic 3-2 win, but Hughes was angry that the Mexican was only shown a yellow card for a late challenge on Robert Huth just moments after coming off the bench in the second half.The Stoke boss said: 'In my opinion he shouldn't have been on the pitch anyway for the challenge on Robert Huth.

article-0-18FF7DA000000578-478_634x483.jpg

Heads up: Javier Hernandez scores the winner for Manchester United

'It was a reckless challenge, I'm sure the lad would agree himself. It's dangerous and you've seen players sent off for lesser chances than that many times before. So we're disappointed with that decision.'Why the assistant referee didn't see fit to do something about it I don't know. We were disappointed with the decision by the referee. It is very difficult to go against a 70,000 crowd here. Sometimes you have to be strong as a referee.’ Huth needed prolonged treatment where his shin had been caught by Hernandez when the score was 2-1 to the visitors. But Stoke’s rearguard action finally came undone in the final 12 minutes with late goals by Wayne Rooney and Hernandez. It was an important win for Moyes, whose only other league wins since the opening day had come against the Premier League's bottom two clubs, Sunderland and Crystal Palace. Hughes claimed the final result was an injustice. ‘In terms of what we produced and chances created, I felt we could have been 4-1 to the good with our first-half performance,’ he said.

article-0-18FF71CD00000578-868_634x473.jpg

Tasty: Hernandez celebrates his late striker

‘They didn’t create much apart from the key moments. We deserved something. We had a game plan, it needed people to do the hard yards and affect the game. ‘We took the game to United. If they are honest, they’d have to admit they were lucky to take all three points. Set-plays got them on level terms and then their winner was a stand-up cross.’ Robin van Persie scored after being passed fit with a toe injury and Moyes admitted it was the Dutchman’s decision to play two World Cup qualifiers for his country this month even though Holland had already qualified for Brazil before the Hungary and Turkey matches. ‘He was injured because he’d been taking injections in his small toe to play. We actually hoped he would come out of it [the second game against Turkey]. But he wanted to play, and we were more than happy if he wanted to do that.

article-0-18FF841D00000578-954_634x639.jpg

Fuming: Mark Hughes tells Hernandez to get up after he was fouled

‘I think the first game for Holland he played with an injection in his toe. We didn’t expect that he would play in the second game.‘But he did play, and he came back and played for us. So there was really no problem there.‘Somewhere along the line we are going to have to give him a chance to rest his toes and I told him before the Southampton game, if he could play for me last week then I would rest him in the Champions League game to try to see if we could help his toes get better.’

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini declines Mourinho handshake after late drama

1115124-17630970-640-360.jpg

LONDON | Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:18pm GMT

(Reuters) - Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini walked straight down the players' tunnel without shaking hands with counterpart Jose Mourinho after Chelsea snatched a 90th-minute winner on Sunday.

Mourinho celebrated wildly by jumping into the crowd and embracing fans after a defensive mix-up allowed Fernando Torres to secure a 2-1 victory in the Premier League.

"I didn't shake hands. I didn't want to," Pellegrini told reporters at Stamford Bridge after his side suffered their third away league defeat of the season.

Mourinho apologised for his loss of decorum and said he was trying to find his son when he leapt into the crowd.

"If they feel I did something wrong I apologise," said the Portuguese. "This is the drama of the last minute.

"He (Pellegrini) lost the game in the last minute and I have sympathy with that. In other countries and cultures we shake hands before the game and that is it.

"If he was sad because of the result I understand. If he was sad because I did something wrong I accept that too."

Mourinho and Pellegrini have been rivals since the Portuguese replaced the Chilean at Real Madrid in 2010 following a second-place La Liga finish.

"Second place is just the first loser," Mourinho said before a match against Pellegrini's new club Malaga.

"If Madrid were to fire me I wouldn't go to Malaga. I'd go to a top-level team in Italy or England."

The victory moved Chelsea up to second in the table, level on points with Liverpool in third and two points behind leaders Arsenal.

(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Tony Jimenez)

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini: I didn’t want to shake Mourinho's hand

331709_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark193
Oct 27, 2013 6:41:00 PM

The Chilean refused to acknowledge his counterpart at the final whistle and also felt his side were in "complete control" of the game despite slumping to defeat

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has confirmed he did not shake Jose Mourinho's hand after watching his side lose 2-1 at Stamford Bridge, saying, "I didn't shake hands. I didn't want to".

The Chilean refused to acknowledge the Chelsea boss after the game, heading straight down the tunnel in west London after seeing Fernando Torres pounce on a defensive mix-up late on to secure victory for the Blues.

City had looked like grabbing a point after Sergio Aguero cancelled out Andre Schurrle's opener but Torres' 90th minute goal was enough for victory and moves Chelsea up to second in the table, just two points behind leaders Arsenal.

Pellegrini's men, meanwhile, drop to seventh after suffering their third Premier League defeat of the season already and the manager felt his side were unlucky to lose.

"We had complete control of the game. We repeat the story of our other two [league] defeats," he told reporters.

However, the City boss revealed little when asked about his reaction to Torres' winner, which occurred after a mix-up between Matija Nastasic and goalkeeper Joe Hart.

"I will keep it private. From tomorrow we will begin to arrange how to avoid the mistakes we have made," he added.

"We are losing stupid points. We have time to arrange and we will try to arrange. I am happy with how the team is playing."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Man City taunting not true

333696_heroa.jpg

By Dom Farrell119
Oct 27, 2013 11:10:00 PM

The Chelsea boss says he was celebrating his side's win with his son and does not blame the Blues coach Manuel Pellegrini for not waiting to shake his hand

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho moved to defuse any ill-feeling between himself and Manchester City's Manuel Pellegrini after their dramatic win on Sunday.

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres profited from a huge error by City goalkeeper Joe Hart to seal a last-gasp 2-1 victory and delight the Stamford Bridge crowd.

Mourinho celebrated the goal in the section of Chelsea supporters behind the visiting dugout and City manager Pellegrini neglected to wait for a full-time handshake.

Asked about Mourinho's actions in the post-match press conference, Pellegrini replied: "I don't expect a different way to celebrate from him. It's normal.

"No, I didn't shake [his] hand. I didn't want [to]."

But Mourinho has explained that he went to celebrate the goal with his son, pinning the blame on Chelsea for allocating his season ticket behind the away bench.

"I think Chelsea are guilty because I want to buy a season ticket for my son and they give season tickets for my son behind the opponent's dugout," Mourinho told reporters.

"They have to change and give my kid tickets behind my dugout. I went for him, I went for him, I promise that I went for him and next match you will see him there again.

"This is the drama of the last minute. I beat Manchester City in the last minute with Real Madrid [3-2 in last season's Champions League], I slid on my knees and I destroyed my trousers.

"If they [City] believe that my son is there, great. If they don't believe, I apologise if they feel I did something wrong."

Mourinho also had no problem with Pellegrini's decision to go down the tunnel following the whistle, claiming he rarely engaged in post-match pleasantries during his time at Real Madrid.

"He lost the game in the last minute and I have sympathy with that," he said.

"In other cultures and other countries we shake hands before the game and that's enough. At the end of the game we don't. In Madrid, normally I never did it so I don’t feel it is a lack of respect.

"If he was sad because of the result I understand, if he was sad thinking I did something wrong, I accept that too, so no problem."

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Platini sends mixed goal-line technology messages

332569_heroa.jpg

By Chris Kvesa11
Oct 27, 2013 10:35:00 PM

In the aftermath of Stefan Kiessling's ghost goal, the Uefa president has once again insisted on following the referee despite calling for a rematch

Michel Platini has reiterated his anti-goal-line technology stance despite making contradictory claims about whether referee's decisions should stand even if they are clearly wrong.

Bayer Leverkusen beat Hoffenheim 2-1 earlier in October thanks to a 'ghost goal' from Stefan Kiessling, which went through a hole in the side-netting but that the officials thought was legitimate.

In the aftermath of the controversial goal, Fifa has suggested the Bundesliga adapt the GoalRef technology, the same system the world football governing body intends to use for the World Cup in Brazil.

GoalRef detects if a goal has been scored by monitoring changes in the magnetic field within the goal, measured by coils that are installed at the posts, the crossbar and the ball itself, unlike the system currently used in the Premier League, which is based on video cameras.

Platini, known for his stance against the introduction of any kind of aiding technology, believes that even with it, Kiessling's goal would have been counted.

"The technology is only registering if the ball is in the goal, not how it got there," he stated in front of a DFB sports hearing, adding: "And the ball was in the goal, wasn't it?"

Confusingly, the Uefa president says the sport must stick to trusting referee decisions despite contradicting his suggestion of following officials' choices - even if they are wrong - by saying that Hoffenheim-Leverkusen be replayed.

"A goal remains a goal, a penalty remains a penalty, if that's the referee's decision," he continued. "If a goal is given even though it was offside, it stands anyway."

But he later added: "It would be a great sign of fairplay if the clubs agreed to repeat the match."