• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

General Veers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

212458_thumb.jpg

It would have been 'financial suicide' for Newcastle to keep me, claims Owen
The former England striker, who is set to retire at the end of the season, insists he was not offered a contract at St James' Park when they were relegated in 2009

265868_thumb.jpg

Hazard: Courtois kept Belgium in FYROM clash
Marc Wilmots' side won 2-0 in Skopje and the Chelsea star has thanked the goalkeeper for his contribution during a difficult first half

265826_thumb.jpg

Hodgson wary of 'serious rivals' Ukraine
The England manager does not believe that Montenegro are the Three Lions' sole competitors in the race to qualify for the World Cup 2014 finals from Group H

179197_thumb.jpg

Distin: No regrets over not playing for France
The 35-year-old centre-back isn't bothered by his non-existent international careerbecause he doesn't think he'd be where he is now if he had played for les Bleus

263884_thumb.jpg

Coutinho: I want to become a key player for Liverpool
The 20-year-old has revealed that he has settled well into life at the Merseyside club and has vowed to become an important player at Anfield over the coming years

258445_thumb.jpg

I have learnt to manage my body, says Diaby
The Frenchman has revealed that a revamp of his lifestyle and diet has enabled him to learn more about his body and possibly put an end to his long-standing injury problems

208613_thumb.jpg

Lampard proud to become England's highest-scoring midfielder
The 34-year-old was on target as the Three Lions won their World Cup qualifier in San Marino 8-0, becoming his country's all-time top marksman from the middle of the park

258968_thumb.jpg

Simeone hints at Fernando Torres move
It remains to be seen whether Atletico Madrid have the financial resources to sign the attacker, but their coach would welcome his former team-mate with open arms

265186_thumb.jpg

Hangeland's agent admits the likelihood of a deal is 'decreasing'
The Fulham skipper's contract is set to expire in the summer and his representative concedes that the chances of the Norwegian defender remaining at Craven Cottage are receding

262043_thumb.jpg

Wilfried Zaha: I'll prove I'm not overrated when I join Manchester United
The Red Devils' loanee has vowed to silence his critics when he links up with the Premier League leaders at the end of the season, but for now is focused on helping Crystal Palace

254260_thumb.jpg

Tottenham target Osvaldo 'non-transferable', claims former agent
Andre Villas-Boas has been warned that the Argentine-born Italian striker is considered indispensable to Roma by Dario Decoud, one of the player's former representatives

233979_thumb.jpg

Liverpool's Reina: I'm very happy with our manager
The Reds' Spanish keeper has played down talk that he is unhappy at Anfield and insists his relationship with boss Brendan Rodgers is good, with both men on the same wavelength

222766_thumb.jpg

Podolski facing summer surgery on ongoing ankle injury
The Arsenal forward has been carrying a calf problem for six weeks, but he may be forced to go under the knife to fix an ankle concern during the close season

265848_thumb.jpg

Wales star Bale hopeful of facing Croatia after Scotland injury
The Tottenham forward, who has scored 25 goals for club and country this season, has revealed that he is still struggling with illness but is positive of being fit for Tuesday

264225_thumb.jpg

Hodgson will consider me for England again, reveals Rio Ferdinand
The 34-year-old claimed a detailed pre-planned programme prevented an international recall, but insists the snub has not hampered future call-ups

237536_thumb.jpg

Arteta: Arsenal's NextGen players can benefit from Emirates experience
The 30-year-old midfielder believes playing at the Gunners' home stadium during their quarter-final tie on Monday will provide his side's young stars with a terrific experience

204493_thumb.jpg

Fellaini's Everton commitment cannot be questioned, claims Jagielka
The midfielder played in the 2-0 victory over Man City last weekend despite carrying an ankle injury, and the centre-back believes this shows his professionalism

264716_thumb.jpg

Haidara escapes significant injury following McManaman horror tackle
Newcastle have confirmed that scans have revealed no bone or ligament damage for the France Under-21 international, who is now expected to return to action in early April

171026_thumb.jpg

Manchester United keeper Lindegaard: It's not easy being on the bench
The 28-year-old is frustrated with the lack of chances at Old Trafford with David de Gea proving difficult to uproot as the No. 1 following a string of impressive performances

213327_thumb.jpg

Manchester City midfielder Rodwell confident of returning in two weeks
The former Everton star suffered a hamstring strain in the 1-0 win over Aston Villa earlier in March, but is hopeful of being ready for action as his side aim to retain the title

263299_thumb.jpg

Arveladze: Burak could be successful at Man United
The former Rangers striker currently coach in Turkey at Kasimpasaspor and thinks the 27-year-old can play for any of Europe’s top clubs

256194_thumb.jpg

Liverpool striker Borini could be back before end of season
The Italian has been out with a dislocated shoulder, but could return this term, while Martin Kelly will not be rushed back

262067_thumb.jpg

Park Ji-Sung contemplating retirement, says father
Asia's most decorated player may call it quits after his two-year contract with the relegation-threatened side expires in 2014, despite calls for a K-League swansong

265128_thumb.jpg

I felt most at home at Liverpool, claims Owen
The veteran striker has reflected on his career following the announcement of his retirement at the end of the season, revealing he enjoyed his time with the Reds the most

261456_thumb.jpg

Dortmund interested in Dzeko, says Zorc
The Manchester City striker has been linked with a move to BVB and the club's sporting director would like to see a transfer happen

253328_thumb.jpg

Hodgson: There is no feud with Wenger over Wilshere
The England boss has been quick to deny any conflict with his Arsenal counterpart over the management of the 21-year-old after playing him for 90 minutes against Brazil in February

194223_thumb.jpg

I would never turn my back on England, says Gerrard
In the wake of Rio Ferdinand rejecting the chance to represent the Three Lions, the captain has said an international call-up is "the pinnacle" of a footballer's career

256065_thumb.jpg

De Gea would reject Barcelona approach
The 22-year-old is reportedly being considered by the Spanish giants as they start their search for Victor Valdes' replacement, but he insists he is happy in England

181233_thumb.jpg

'I know nothing about this' - Russia manager Capello rejects Chelsea rumours
Speaking ahead of Friday's qualifier against Northern Ireland, the former England head coach insisted he was unaware of reported interest from the Premier League outfit

227191_thumb.jpg

Manchester United forward Ashley Young rues 'frustrating' injury-hit season
The 26-year-old has managed 15 Premier League starts this term, but is optimistic after joining up with the England squad and keen to kick-start his campaign

217501_thumb.jpg

Jenkinson hopes Arsenal form will prompt England recall
The full-back has been impressive in the injury-induced absence of Bacary Sagna and wants to add to his sole senior international appearance despite missing out recently

JohnnyCage

Alfrescian
Loyal

De Gea: I have matured since Manchester United move
The 22-year-old is in his second season at Old Trafford and claims he has grown both as a player and person since making the €20 million switch from Atletico Madrid

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez: I may leave Liverpool to play in UCL

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has revealed he could leave the club in the future to play in the Champions League.

Thursday 21st March 2013
By FOX

FOXBPL_030313LIVPOOL.jpg

Suarez has been an integral part of Liverpool ever since he joined the club in 2011; the Uruguayan has already scored an amazing 29 goals in 38 games for the Reds this season and is regarded as one of the most potent strikers in the world.

The likes of Bayern Munich, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain are all reportedly interested in signing Suarez, but Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has thus far rebuffed all advances for his prized asset.

Suarez himself had previously expressed his desire to stay with Liverpool and claimed he was indebted to the club for standing by him through the litany of controversies he constantly found himself embroiled in.

However, with the Reds consistently failing to qualify for the Champions League, Suarez concedes he may have to consider moving to a bigger club in order to fulfill his ambitions of playing at the very highest level.

"I'm very happy at Liverpool but you never know in football," Suarez was quoted as saying by the Liverpool Echo. "A player's ambition is always there, the ambition of wanting to play for the elite is always there. I'm in a world class team, an elite team like Liverpool. "And if another team comes around with more prospects of competing in international
club competition games which is willing to have me, they are welcome.

"We would talk to the club. We would see if I want to go." The former Ajax player also admitted he made several high-profile errors during his time in professional football but insisted he was focused on refining his game. "I have a very strange way of playing football," Suarez added. "I'm my own severest critic and I realise when I make mistakes.

"There are times that I get yellow cards that can influence a game. I have improved and I have to continue improving. "You can lose some things, but you can never lose the slyness, the passion that you have had since you were a kid playing in the street. "If I didn't have the character that I have today on the pitch, I don't think that I would have become the player that I am today."

Suarez will likely feature for Liverpool when they take on Aston Villa in their next Premier League fixture.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico open door for Torres return while Chelsea given encouragement over Falcao

By RIK SHARMA PUBLISHED: 12:45 GMT, 23 March 2013 | UPDATED: 13:00 GMT, 23 March 2013

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has opened the door for Fernando Torres to return to his former side. The Chelsea striker made his name in Spain before moving to Liverpool in 2007. Simeone says he knows how important Torres can be for his side and that because of his roots he knows about what it means to play for Los Rojiblancos.

article-0-18ABDAB9000005DC-932_634x432.jpg

Struggle: Fernando Torres has not been able to find his feet at Chelsea

He told Spanish radio station Onda Cero: 'Fernando Torres is currently playing for another team. We have to wait for the season to finish and decide which of the available players could come here and do a good job. 'Fernando knows about the club's history, what it means to play here and I don't need to speak about his ability. 'We were teammates. I know how important he can be.' Chelsea want Atletico's Colombian striker Radamel Falcao as a replacement. He has scored 25 goals in 28 games for his club this season, including a hat-trick against the Blues in the Super Cup final. He can be procured for £48million but the Blues would be interested in a part-exchange deal involving Torres.

When asked about Falcao's future, Simeone did not insist the player would be staying at the club. Instead he reasoned that everybody makes their own decisions and Falcao deserves respect.
Simeone said: 'I'm not Falcao and I'm not his agent. I'm the manager and have the utmost respect for him, because he gave me so much at River Plate and has done the same here. 'He always gives his all and I really respect players who do that. But everyone makes their own decisions in life. 'Every person is different, and we have to respect each other. Those who stay are always going to be the best.'

article-2297964-18DF028D000005DC-347_634x375.jpg

Can't stop: Radamel Falcao is in absolutely lethal form for club and country

article-2297964-188E06AE000005DC-399_634x367.jpg

Frank: Diego Simeone said that Torres knows the club and he would be an important player

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Owen accuses Newcastle of lying to their fans about offering him a new contract

By SIMON PEACH, PRESS ASSOCIATION PUBLISHED: 15:43 GMT, 23 March 2013 | UPDATED: 15:43 GMT, 23 March 2013

Michael Owen has accused former club Newcastle of lying about offering him a new deal in 2009. The 33-year-old former England international announced on Monday that he will retire from football at the end of the season. Owen made his name with Liverpool and went on to play for Real Madrid, Newcastle and Manchester United before signing for Stoke at the start of this season.

article-2298009-172F4915000005DC-33_634x399.jpg

Angry: Michael Owen says Newcastle lied to their supporters about offering him a new deal

The striker spoke about his career on BBC's Football Focus today, where, amongst other things, he spoke about his four injury-hit years with Newcastle.The fact Owen left to join United on a free transfer after the Magpies were relegated still rankles with many supporters, but the striker took to Twitter this afternoon to defend himself. 'Newcastle fans, following my Football Focus interview, plenty of you tweeting me saying you don't blame me for getting injured but for leaving when we got relegated,' he tweeted.' Despite the club saying they did, they didn't ever offer me a new contract despite them putting it in the press that they did.

article-2298009-18C6A063000005DC-270_634x438.jpg

Financial suicide: Owen says the club could not afford to offer him a new deal after being relegated

'How could they when they had just been relegated? It would have been financial suicide.'I've seen it a million times, a club will blatantly lie to their fans to take the moral high ground leaving the player with no leg to stand on.'I've taken the stick for years which is fine but you really don't know half of it. All will be revealed one day.'

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hughton hails £8.5m Van Wolfswinkel capture as Norwich strengthen frontline

By
ANDY JAMES PUBLISHED: 23:53 GMT, 22 March 2013 | UPDATED: 23:53 GMT, 22 March 2013

Norwich City manager Chris Hughton has hailed Ricky van Wolfswinkel as the 'perfect' signing after the Premier League club completed the signing of the Sporting Lisbon striker.The 24-year-old has agreed a four-year deal and will arrive in July for a fee of £8.5million. He has scored nine goals for the Portuguese side this season.

article-0-1230CE26000005DC-932_468x307.jpg

On the move: Norwich City have signed Ricky Van Wolfswinkel (centre)

article-0-1230D2EF000005DC-194_468x301.jpg

'Ricky’s profile is a perfect fit for us – he’s young, ambitious and a proven goal-scorer,' Hughton told the club's official website. 'He has an excellent goal-scoring pedigree and he’s a young man very keen to continue his personal progression and to play in England. He’s already an exciting talent but he still has more development as a player ahead of him.'I’m delighted we’ve been able to agree a deal with Sporting Lisbon and with Ricky and we look forward to welcoming him to the squad in July, once all of the paperwork gets sorted out.'

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reading ready to make fresh approach to former Southampton manager Nigel Adkins

Reading are expected to make a fresh approach to Nigel Adkins to become their new manager ahead of Saturday’s Premier League match away to Arsenal.

nigel-adkins_g_2518273b.jpg

New gig: Nigel Adkins is set to take over as manager of Reading Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Jason Burt
5:37PM GMT 23 Mar 2013

The former Southampton manager was spoken to last week by Reading before the club offered the job to Brighton’s Gus Poyet who subsequently stunned them by turning the post down.

The decision came as a severe blow to Reading who surprisingly sacked Brian McDermott 13 days ago – and just 33 days after he was named manager of the month - with Academy director Eamonn Dolan taking charge of the last league match away to Manchester United, which they lost 1-0.

With just eight league games to go and Reading facing a desperate battle against relegation – in 19th place and six points behind fourth-from-bottom Aston Villa - it had been assumed that owner Anton Zingarevich had a replacement lined up when he sacked McDermott.

However that was not the case, despite rumours linking Paolo Di Canio and Roberto Di Matteo, who wants a higher profile job and has been strongly linked to German club Schalke, to the post, and Zingarevich now has to decide whether he still harbours hopes of avoiding relegation or needs to appoint a manager with experience of gaining promotion from the Championship.

Adkins is understood to be unsure as to whether or not to accept the role and has spent the time since he was sacked travelling Europe and observing clubs such as Hamburg, where he has attended training.

Adkins has also been strongly linked with taking over at Leeds United when Neil Warnock leaves the Championship club at the end of the season. It is believed that Adkins might favour joining Leeds, with the club’s huge potential, although the situation surrounding the club’s owners far from clear.

Adkins has spoken to Reading’s director of football Nicky Hammond and the club is understood to have offered a £1.5m bonus to whoever takes over if he manages to avoid relegation.

Poyet had initially indicated he would be interested after being granted permission by Brighton to speak to Reading who would have had to pay a compensation package of £2.5m. But the Uruguayan is also concerned that he would have a relegation on his CV should Reading go down – even though he would not be responsible for that happening.

Poyet was frustrated as to whether or not Brighton were serious about a promotion push, and had complained about the sale of players such as Craig Noone, as he has made no secret of the fact that he wants to be a Premier League manager as soon as possible.

But he also weighed up the merits of the two squads and decided he would be better off staying to see if Brighton could be promoted via the play-offs – they currently sit outside the zone on goal difference - or if a Premier League club came calling in the summer.

Although Reading are set to be relegated there is money being made available by Zingarevich, who is taking over from John Madjeski, not least through the parachute payments the club will receive through demotion.

Adkins is believed to be a naturally cautious character and the 48-year-old may be concerned at the direction in which Reading are heading under the new owner and whether he will be given time to re-build the team.

Adkins was harshly sacked by Southampton in January despite having secured back-to-back promotions after succeeding Alan Pardew in September 2010 when the club was in League One.

If Reading cannot persuade him to take over the club may simply bide its time until the end of the season, keeping Dolan in place until then, which raises question marks over why they decided to sack McDermott even if there had been concern over his tactics.

However that will alarm supporters who will fear a re-run of what happened at Wolverhampton Wanderers last season when Mick McCarthy was sacked, the job was offered to other managers, who turned it down, and assistant Terry Connor took over. Wolves then went into freefall and now face a fight against relegation from the Championship.

Fans will also be angry that Zingarevich, who is making funds available for the next manager, did not invest in the January transfer window when Reading had a far greater chance of survival.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Boruc makes racial abuse claim

Southampton goalkeeper Artur Boruc claims racial abuse from his own fans prompted him to throw a water bottle at them.

Saturday 23rd March 2013

Wigan+vs+Southampton.jpg

The incident occurred on his home debut in October as Saints lost 2-1 against Tottenham and he was subsequently dropped by then manager Nigel Adkins. After an internal inquiry the club decided to take no action but Boruc did not regain his place until January.

The Poland international, who joined Saints in late September as a free agent, claims Adkins did not want him in the team and the incident gave the manager the ideal excuse to exclude him.

"I won't say I regret it, because I heard insults from the stands. Racist ones," Boruc said in an interview in Polish newspaper Republic.

"I blamed myself for it because I gave Adkins the reason that he could sit me on the bench.

"One must remember I joined them when not ready, so I had to catch up with the rest.

"The situation was a bit funny. Adkins didn't see me in the team, but his bosses decided to hire a new goalie because the team played poorly.

"I was thinking I'd get ready quickly but I had to come to terms with a different role.

"The coach had his vision and I was a bit angry. The games I played I didn't do too well and there was the incident with the bottle.

"But I like such challenges, and feel good when I hit the bottom, because you can start from scratch."

Boruc's management company declined to respond to the claims while Southampton were unavailable for comment.

Gestapo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fergie hopes to win race to sign highly-rated defender Garay but Barcelona and Chelsea are hot on their heels

By GERARD BRAND PUBLISHED: 17:27 GMT, 23 March 2013 | UPDATED: 17:27 GMT, 23 March 2013

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is trying to push through a £15million deal for Benfica’s Argentinian defender Ezequiel Garay. After Chelsea were reported to have been monitoring the ex-Real Madrid centre-back this week, Ferguson has been pushed into organising an approach.

article-2298039-16232D22000005DC-544_634x408.jpg

Hot demand: Garay is reportedly wanted by Barcelona, Chelsea and Manchester United

article-2298039-16232195000005DC-386_634x393.jpg

United manager Ferguson has detailed his scouts to watch Garay for the past few months and they have now reportedly entered discussions with Benfica to land their man, according to The Mirror.

Garay is also believed to be keen on a move to the Old Trafford club, with Barcelona also thought to be interested.United are seeking a long-term replacement for Rio Ferdinand, with 26-year-old Garay, who has experience on his side as well as raw quality, looking to be the ideal alternative.

Fergie is hopeful of getting his man this summer and the Premier League’s champions-elect believe they are close to a deal.
Having been priced out of a move for Lucas Moura, who ended up at PSG in January, Ferguson will be keen to ensure that a hefty asking price doesn't prevent a move from taking place.

Earlier in the month, Garay linked up with renowned agent Jorge Mendes in the hope that he would be a catalyst for a move to Old Trafford.
Garay wants to follow in the footsteps of Cristiano Ronaldo, Anderson, Nani and Bebe, who are also supposed to have used Mendes to engineer moves to the club.

Super-agent Mendes recently claimed players, despite being contracted to other ages are 'there waiting for a Jorge Mendes to show up and take them to a big club.'
Garay would cost United around £15million, but it is unknown whether the Portuguese side would want to hold out for more money from other interested clubs.

article-2298039-006A66E700000258-451_306x423.jpg
article-2298039-011D5DB1000004B0-370_306x423.jpg

Catalyst: Garay recently linked up with super agent Jorge Mendes, who is reported to have helped push forward Cristiano Ronaldo's move to United in 2003 (above left) and Nani's transfer in 2007 (above right).

article-2298039-0D7BF6B3000005DC-42_634x401.jpg

Scouting mission: Fergie has spent several scouts to watch highly-rated Garay over recent months

General Veers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

249497_thumb.jpg

Van Wolfswinkel delighted with 'dream' Norwich move
The Netherlands striker will join up with the Canaries in the summer after finalising a transfer to the Premier League side from Portuguese giants Sporting Lisbon

207066_thumb.jpg

Zola has had no contact with Chelsea
The Italian coach has put the Championship club in contention for promotion but says he is yet to hear anything regarding the soon-to-be-vacant Stamford Bridge post

177454_thumb.jpg

Hyypia: Joining Liverpool was a dream
The Finland defender enjoyed a trophy-laden spell with the Reds between 1999 and 2009 before moving to German Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen, who he is now co-managing

248107_thumb.jpg

Szczesny wants Arsenal stay
The Poland international has fallen out of favour at the Emirates Stadium after a run of indifferent form, but insists he has no intention of leaving the Gunners

247817_thumb.jpg

'Grateful' Sturridge: Rodgers and Liverpool believe in me
The Reds' January signing has settled well on Merseyside and appreciates the opportunity that his new manager has given him to show what he can do in his favoured position

258481_thumb.jpg

Wales will not risk Tottenham star Bale, promises Coleman
The attacking midfielder aggravated an ankle injury during his national side's 2-1 victory over Scotland and could be left out for Tuesday night's fixture against Croatia

244527_thumb.jpg

Michu: I wouldn't change my Swansea team-mates for anybody
The Spaniard is enjoying a stunning first season in England and puts it down to the support of those with whom he plays and the style of play encouraged by manager Michael Laudrup

213217_thumb.jpg

Hodgson won't ask Terry to come out of international retirement despite defensive dilemma
The England manager will not try to persuade the Chelsea captain to do a U-turn, insisting that it would be disrespectful to the central defenders already in his squad

248187_thumb.jpg

De Gea: Ferguson is like a father to me at Manchester United
The 22-year-old goalkeeper says that the Scot is "very paternalistic" toward his players and admits that he has been confused by the criticism directed towards him this season

266205_thumb.jpg

Tottenham will miss out on top four, predicts George Graham
The ex-Spurs boss expects that Chelsea and another of his former clubs, Arsenal, will finish above Andre Villas-Boas's men and argues that it would be best for Gareth Bale to stay

245924_thumb.jpg

Joe Cole: It would be 'unbelievable' if Chelsea let Lampard go
The Blues midfielder's former team-mate has expressed his astonishment at the England international not being offered a new deal by the club, calling him "a machine"

191518_thumb.jpg

Lescott ready to capitalise on England centre-back absentees
The defender is out of favour at Manchester City, but is primed to build on his appearance against San Marino as he attempts to cash in on Rio Ferdinand's absence

241802_thumb.jpg

Yacob 'over the moon' at West Brom support
The tough-tackling Argentine has expressed his delight at the Baggies' recent chant in his honour, and wants to pay back their faith in him with good performances on the pitch

235391_thumb.jpg

Manchester United midfielder Anderson pushing for summer exit
The Brazilian is concerned about his lack of first-team opportunities and believes a move away from Old Trafford will enhance his chances of featuring in the 2014 World Cup

254000_thumb.jpg

'Chelsea can't replace Lampard', warns England team-mate Defoe
The Spurs striker has known the veteran midfielder since their days at West Ham and believes the west London club would be foolish to let the 34-year-old run down his contract

248741_thumb.jpg

De Guzman hopes to stay at Swansea
The midfielder made his first competitive appearance for the Netherlands on Friday night and believes that stability at club level will be key to his future selection

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

257579_thumb.jpg

Henderson has been excellent, says Liverpool boss Rodgers
The manager believes that despite the young midfielder's absence from recent starting line-ups, he can still offer much to his team when called upon and is improving tactically

226701_thumb.jpg

Mangala ‘flattered’ by Manchester United interest
The Porto defender has been linked with a summer switch to Old Trafford with Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson thought to be considering reinforcing his defensive options

246213_thumb.jpg

Zabaleta: Bale is the best player in the Premier League
The Manchester City right-back believes the Spurs attacker is a "force of nature", and also thinks Mario Balotelli’s departure from Eastlands was inevitable after a difficult spell

255036_thumb.jpg

Ferguson: I expected a bigger title challenge
The Manchester United manager anticipated a number of other clubs to push for the Premier League crown this season and did not foresee the mammoth lead his side hold over City

173256_thumb.jpg

Chelsea loanee Bruma considering Dutch return
The defender, currently on loan at Hamburg, would consider moving back to his homeland as he looks to become a regular for his national team

229823_thumb.jpg

Scharner eager for Hamburg return after Wigan loan spell
The on-loan Latics defender is keen to return to this parent club because he feels he has unfinished business in the Bundesliga

262441_thumb.jpg

I battled depression after Euro 2012, admits Cabaye
The France international has revealed that his struggles with the physical demands of the Premier League during his debut season left him in a vulnerable mental state

257808_thumb.jpg

Nacho man: Monreal dazzles Cazorla
The playmaker has talked up his fellow Spaniard, who followed the ex-Villareal man in joining the north London club from Malaga and has settled quickly into English football

245918_thumb.jpg

Adkins keen to move on from Southampton sacking following Reading appointment
The 48-year-old was confirmed as Brian McDermott's successor as Royals boss on Tuesday and says he is solely focused on his new club's fight for Premier League survival

238772_thumb.jpg

Swansea boss Laudrup undecided on Tiendalli future
The Dane has hailed the impact made by the defender since his arrival at the Liberty Stadium on a one-year deal, but is making no promises regarding a new contract

261193_thumb.jpg

Sol Campbell backs Rio Ferdinand in England selection row
The former Three Lions centre-back believes manager Roy Hodgson should have given the Manchester United defender more notice ahead of his recent international recall

261404_thumb.jpg

Holtby: Tottenham aren't scared of Arsenal pressure
The Germany international says Spurs are still confident of avoiding a prolonged run of poor form until the end of the season and securing a Champions League spot

260806_thumb.jpg

Fiorentina forward Jovetic flattered by Arsenal links
The 23-year-old forward insists Arsene Wenger's side are still "one of the biggest in Europe" - even after Robin van Persie's departure

262407_thumb.jpg

Tiote: Newcastle not safe from relegation yet
The midfielder warns his team-mates that they cannot rest on their laurels quite yet and must pick up more victories to secure their Premier League status for another season

264782_thumb.jpg

Ivanovic tips Mourinho for Chelsea job
The 29-year-old never played under the Portuguese boss during his time at Stamford Bridge, but he is excited by rumours that the Real Madrid coach could return to west London

257758_thumb.jpg

Kompany: Manchester City must learn from this season
The 26-year-old centre-back has targeted a return to full fitness in time for the Manchester derby against Sir Alex Ferguson's side, after all but relinquishing their league crown

266391_thumb.jpg

De Bruyne admits uncertainty over Chelsea future
The 21-year-old midfielder has enjoyed two spells out on loan since the club secured his permanent signature in 2012 but has hinted he may move elsewhere at the end of the campaign

251013_thumb.jpg

I'm at my best as a holding midfielder, claims Tottenham's Holtby
The 22-year-old's move from Schalke was brought forward in January following injury to Brazilian Sandro, but he has yet to settle on a role or complete 90 minutes at Spurs

259583_thumb.jpg

Podolski brushes off Juventus rumours
The Germany international says he is enjoying life at Arsenal following his summer move from Koln and has no plans to seek another change of clubs in the coming transfer window

202963_thumb.jpg

Lucas: I nearly left Liverpool under Hodgson
The Brazil international midfielder admitted he considered quitting Anfield after struggling for playing time under the England manager, but is glad he stayed to win a place

229495_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure facing Manchester City showdown talks over agent contract demands
The Ivorian's representative, Dimitri Seluk, set a deadline of Saturday for the Premier League champions to open talks over a new deal for his client at the Etihad Stadium

213321_thumb.jpg

Lescott to 'address' Manchester City situation at end of season
The defender has rarely featured for his club, with his role in the England team subsequently diminished despite starting alongside John Terry in central defence at Euro 2012

263685_thumb.jpg

Rio Ferdinand will regret England snub, says Shilton
The legendary goalkeeper believes the 34-year-old Manchester United defender's decision to pull out of the World Cup double-header will be one he will lament in the future

260806_thumb.jpg

Savic tells Jovetic to join Manchester City
The 22-year-old defender plays with the in-demand forward for Fiorentina and Montenegro and believes he is ready to make the move to a top European club in the near future

217228_thumb.jpg

Green: Rangers will be playing in England within five years
The Gers' chief executive has predicted that the Glaswegian club will soon be a part of the English game and says they would start off in the Conference, with Celtic on the way too

218494_thumb.jpg

Cleverley hopes to emulate Scholes for England
The 23-year-old says he remembers watching his club team-mate at primary school during World Cup 1998 and says the veteran is a great player to learn from at Old Trafford

152253_thumb.jpg

Valencia tops Manchester United exit list ahead of €60m summer fire sale
The winger is joined by the likes of Nani, Anderson and Chicharito on the list of players who Sir Alex Ferguson will listen to offers for this summer

189613_thumb.jpg

Wilmots delighted by Mirallas & Fellaini success at Everton
The Belgium coach believes the pair have improved since moving to the Premier League, and has underlined the importance of playing in front of packed stadiums weekly

266308_thumb.jpg

Hulk frustrated at transfer speculation
The attacker insists he is happy at his current club and has no interest in moving to the Premier League or away from Russia, and revealed the family atmosphere in the squad

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scolari defends record at Chelsea

Mar 24, 2013 6:55:00 PM

252859hp2.jpg

The Selecao coach holds no bitter feelings towards the Premier League club for what he clearly still feels was a harsh sacking

By Liam Twomey at Stamford Bridge

Brazil boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has defended his Chelsea record on his return to Stamford Bridge ahead of his side's friendly against Russia on Monday night.

The former Portugal head coach was given his marching orders midway through the 2008-09 campaign, but the coach - who is in his second stint in the Selecao hotseat - holds no grudge against the Premier League club he managed for a short time.

"It has been a joy to be back here, because I enjoyed my time at Chelsea," he told reporters at Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon. "I was happy while I was here. The only thing I didn’t like was the cold! I had totally forgotten about it!

"I can’t tell [whether I would have won trophies at Chelsea], but I do know my time wasn’t as bad as people have made out. The numbers show that, and they don’t lie.

"We were third in the Premier League, we had progressed in the FA Cup and qualified for the Champions League knock-out stages. But I can’t really tell if I would have won something or not.

"Actually, I want to thank Chelsea for the opportunity to work here, and work with the people here, and to be with the supporters. It was a great time and I had a great experience working here. Having lived here in London with my family was one of the great experiences of my life."

Scolari rejected claims he should not have been sacked during his time with the Blues, and insisted owner Roman Abramovich and other senior Chelsea figures were well within their rights to let him go.

He added: "The sacking was a decision from the management. Everywhere I work I’m just a member of staff, and if someone thinks I’m not doing a good job, they can sack me. It happens everywhere.

"If I own my own company, when I decide someone needs to go, I take the decision. But here I’m just an employee, like anyone else."

Brazil head into Monday night's friendly game with Fabio Capello's side on the back of a 2-2 draw against Italy in Switzerland on Thursday.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Chelsea is in my heart' - Mourinho fuels talk of Premier League return

By Scott Binnie
Mar 26, 2013 2:53:00 PM

256960hp2.jpg

The 50-year-old Real Madrid manager admits he still has a special connection to the Blues, and feels his passion for English football makes a return to these shores inevitable

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has fuelled speculation linking him with a summer return to Chelsea by admitting the club is "in his heart" and he will have to come back to the Premier League one day.

Mourinho has been the subject of intense speculation in the last few days, with reports suggesting the ex-Porto, Chelsea and Inter boss has agreed to return to Stamford Bridge this summer.

Now the Portuguese boss has spoken of his “big emotional connections” with the Blues, connections that mean one day he will “have to be back in English football, or at Chelsea.”

"I cannot deny that, despite this weather, I love it here, and as I said I have a house and I have big emotional connections with Chelsea and one day I think naturally I will have to be back to English football, or to Chelsea or to another club," he told Sky Sports News.

"Of course, Chelsea means more to me than other clubs. Chelsea is in my heart, as Inter is for example.

"One day I have to be back but again it is normal that I am in London. The same way I walk in my home city in Portugal, people see that as normal and this is normal, the same thing is normal when I am in London."

Recent reports have suggested that Mourinho and his agent Jorge Mendes have signed provisional agreements with both Chelsea and Paris Saint Germain, stating the manager will take over in the summer if he so desires.

It is also believed that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is ready to hold his hands up and admit he made an error five and a half years ago when sacking Mourinho.

Given his latest comments, many will feel the return of the Special One is on the cards, but Mourinho insists his focus right now is solely on Madrid.

He continued: "I am in Madrid and I am very, very committed to the club's ambitions for the remainder of the season.

"People know that I am professional and for the moment I only think about my job in Real."

The Madrid boss went on to admit he has played a part in the speculation over a Chelsea return.

"There is a lot of talk but people need to understand that I can be in London very often.," he added. "We have a house here and we love it here. Being in London is a very normal thing for us.

"Every time I come people start immediately making connections to a return. I feed it because I say every day that I love it and will return one day. To be fair I give a little contribution to the speculation."

Bolocks

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reading unveil Adkins as new manager

By George Ankers
Mar 26, 2013 10:30:00 AM

182541hp2.jpg

The former Southampton boss has been confirmed as Brian McDermott's successor but faces a tough task to avoid relegation, with the Royals seven points away from safety

Reading have unveiled Nigel Adkins as their new manager, with the 48-year-old signing a three-and-a-half-year deal.

The former Southampton man replaces Brian McDermott, who was sacked on March 11 after a slip in form threatened the Royals' Premier League status.

Adkins himself was removed from his post at St Mary's in January, despite leading the Saints to consecutive promotions from League One.

“I am delighted to bring Nigel to our club because he is perfect for us," owner Anton Zingarevich said.

"He has great respect within the game, his CV speaks for itself and he has many attributes as a manager, he is progressive, he develops players, his teams play attacking, passing football but most of all he knows how to win games at all levels.

"This is an appointment we have made both with the short and long term in mind and Nigel can take our club forward. I know our supporters have been keen to hear news over the past two weeks and I am certain they will join me in saying it was worth the wait. I wish Nigel and Andy [Crosby] nothing but good luck and now we focus on eight hugely important games in the Premier League.

"Our supporters will also play a vital part in the finale to the season and I am certain Nigel will get an excellent reception from our fans at the Emirates on Saturday."

Gus Poyet had been Reading's first choice to succeed McDermott but the Uruguayan snubbed the offer to move to Berkshire despite talks over a switch from Brighton reaching an advanced stage.

Adkins faces a tough task to keep his new side in the top flight, with the Royals seven points away from safety with just eight games remaining.

His first match in charge will be away to Arsenal on Saturday before a reunion with his former colleagues on April 6 as Southampton travel to Reading for a potentially decisive bottom-of-the-table clash.

General Veers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

255415_thumb.jpg

Chelsea attacker Oscar ready for 'important week'
Ahead of a run of four games in eight days, the Brazil international says Rafael Benitez's men will treat every competition equally and attempt to win all their matches

262552_thumb.jpg

Toni tells Fiorentina team-mate Jovetic: Join a 'real top club', not Arsenal
The Montenegro international expressed his delight at the Gunners' rumoured interest on Tuesday but has been told by his Viola colleague to wait for a better opportunity

260230_thumb.jpg

Vela rejects talk of Arsenal return
The former Gunners attacker says he grew frustrated with the lack of first-team opportunities at the Emirates Stadium and does not envisage leaving Real Sociedad

225644_thumb.jpg

'My dream is to play at the top level,' says Liverpool target Tom Ince
The Blackpool winger, who has been the subject of sustained interest from the Reds, expresses his ambition to play at a Premier League club when he is ready to do so

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

250150_thumb.jpg

Hughton thrilled with Van Wolfswinkel deal
The Canaries boss has thanked his club for their commitment to securing the services of the highly-rated Dutch striker

213462_thumb.jpg

Fer would be 'perfect' for the Premier League, says McClaren
The former England and Twente boss has hailed the midfielder, who saw a proposed move to Everton collapse during the January transfer window after failing a medical

264802_thumb.jpg

Pardew: Officials handled McManaman tackle poorly
The 51-year-old coach has expressed dismay at referee Mark Halsey's handling of the matter but says he is ready to go forward and put the incident in the past

248179_thumb.jpg

Diaby ruled out for up to nine months
The Frenchman has made just 19 appearances this season, and faces another lengthy layoff after suffering a cruciate ligament tear

262031_thumb.jpg

O'Neill hails Man Utd strength in depth
With an FA Cup replay against Chelsea 48 hours after their trip to Wearside, the Red Devils are expected to rest players, but the Black Cats boss is still expecting a tough test

245663_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas sets Tottenham 70-point target
Two consecutive league defeats have some Spurs fans anxiously looking over their shoulders, but the coach believes that his side are still on course for a top-four finish

261407_thumb.jpg

Benitez sets his sights on Manchester City
The Chelsea manager is wary of the chasing pack in the race for a top-four finish, but believes that his side are more than capable of catching the champions

261463_thumb.jpg

Macheda: Man Utd return is pointless
The 21-year-old believes he suffered from the weight of expectation at Old Trafford, but has not ruled out a return to the club in the future

219693_thumb.jpg

Kompany's Belgium duty angers Mancini
The 48-year-old has criticised Marc Wilmosts for failing to 'understand the situation' surrounding the City captain's injury problems

126993_thumb.jpg

Bale 'very happy' with Tottenham, says Wales legend Jones
The legendary Welshman believes his compatriot is content with life in north London despite reports linking him with Real Madrid

264068_thumb.jpg

Weah backs Mancini for Monaco job
The 1995 World Player of the Year added weight to the Manchester City coach's chances of succeeding Claudio Ranieri at the Ligue 2 leaders

264068_thumb.jpg

Mancini: The title race is over
The 48-year-old believes his side stand little chance of overturning the 15-point deficit to rivals Manchester United at the top of the table

218502_thumb.jpg

Llambias: Newcastle will spend this summer
After the Magpies effectively saved their season with a productive January transfer window, the club's managing director has promised "there is still money available"

259763_thumb.jpg

Van Persie thanks Manchester United team-mates for picking up goal slack
The 29-year-old conceded that he is finding things "difficult" in front of goal at the moment, but expressed delight that he is not relied upon to score in every game

263304_thumb.jpg

Wenger confirms Wilshere will miss Reading clash
Arsenal had been hopeful that the England star would be back in time to face the Premier League strugglers but his comeback from an ankle injury has been delayed

263361_thumb.jpg

'We'll do it' - Wenger backs Arsenal to seal top four spot
The 63-year-old indicated if the club consistently replicate their recent good form then they should not miss out, while he welcomed Nigel Adkins back to top-flight management

260033_thumb.jpg

Arsenal defender Djourou interested in permanent Hannover switch, says agent
The 26-year-old centre-back has been on loan with the Bundesliga outfit since January having found his first-team opportunities at the Emirates Stadium limited

260954_thumb.jpg

Money could motivate footballers to play past 40, says Manchester United's Giggs
The Red Devils legend is currently 39-years-old, but a recent one-year contract extension means he, like Teddy Sheringham and Gordon Strachan, will play into his forties

263792_thumb.jpg

Newcastle striker Cisse targets Europa League final
The Magpies have disappointed this season and are currently sitting 13th in the Premier League, but the Senegal striker believes they can mount a challenge for glory in Europe

260946_thumb.jpg

Bramble: Welbeck has proved himself at Manchester United
The Black Cats defender believes the Red Devils and England striker has come a long way since his loan spell at the Stadium of Light two years ago and is showing his quality

251789_thumb.jpg

We must ignore critics, says Monreal
The January signing from Malaga, who has impressed since moving to Arsenal, has asked his team-mates to block out any criticism and focus only on the top four

246178_thumb.jpg

Diaby: Arsenal not taking Reading clash lightly
After the two teams met in a 7-5 league cup thriller, the France international insists the Gunners are well aware of the threat the relegation-battling Royals can pose

229495_thumb.jpg

Yaya Toure unaware of PSG interest
The Cote d'Ivoire star has denied rumours linking him with a move to France and talk of leaving Manchester City in the near future

262067_thumb.jpg

QPR midfielder Park: I’m not retiring
The former South Korea international insists he is happy to stay at Loftus Road for "a couple more years" despite losing the captain's armband

227936_thumb.jpg

Liverpool duo Carragher and Reina fit for Aston Villa clash
First-team coach Mike Marsh added that all players have returned from international duty ready to play for Brendan Rodgers' side

265082_thumb.jpg

Neville willing to drop down divisions to extend career
The former Manchester United midfielder has never played a league match outside the top flight, but would turn his back on the Premier League to keep playing

126861_thumb.jpg

Arnesen: Youth undermined at Chelsea
The club's former chief scout believes the club's transfer policy prevents the development of young players within the club

252698_thumb.jpg

Van Persie: Manchester United could be my last top club
The Netherlands international hailed Old Trafford as the ideal environment for older players to flourish and insists the club’s ethos is getting the best out of him

249853_thumb.jpg

Manchester City must be more united, insists Zabaleta
The Argentina defender wants the current Premier League champions to show more of the team unity that has won their nearest rivals a record 19 titles

265340_thumb.jpg

Rush 'amazed' by Suarez goal tally
The former Liverpool striker has been left impressed by the Uruguay star's sensational record this season

246181_thumb.jpg

Ferguson eager for Premier League points record
The Manchester United manager has challenged his team to beat Chelsea’s total of 95 points from the 2004-05 season

171026_thumb.jpg

Senior players leading Manchester United title charge, says Lindegaard
The Red Devils hold a 15-point lead over rivals Manchester City in the Premier League but the goalkeeper says his more experienced squad team-mates are keeping others sharp

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

264073_thumb.jpg

Mancini eyes second place as he accepts Manchester United league victory
The Manchester City boss calls for his side to finish the season on a high as the London clubs look to build up the pressure on the current Premier League holders

264259_thumb.jpg

Alex Ferguson: Ferdinand won't be bothered by criticism
The Manchester United boss is confident that the veteran defender will not be fazed by verbal attacks and unsavoury chants after he snubbed Roy Hodgson's England call-up

260187_thumb.jpg

Wenger: Arsenal stars fighting for futures
The Gunners manager warns his players that how they play in their remaining games may decide whether they will be moved on in the summer, demanding an improvement next season

247080_thumb.jpg

I'd prefer Rickie Lambert to Torres, claims Southampton star Cork
The former Chelsea youngster insists he would choose his Saints team-mate over the Spaniard and describes the difficulty in rising through the ranks at Stamford Bridge

260215_thumb.jpg

Bale is 'frightening' to face, admits Swansea winger Dyer
The Englishman came through the ranks at Southampton with the Wales and Tottenham star and claims to have never been in doubt about the Welshman's huge potential

258074_thumb.jpg

Chelsea and Manchester City agree post-season friendly
The Premier League giants will meet in a match to honour the opening of the Busch Stadium in St Louis, just four days after playing their last domestic game of the campaign

259782_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas: Mourinho return would be 'excellent' for Premier League
The Tottenham boss, who served under his compatriot at Porto, Chelsea and Inter believes that the Real Madrid supremo would light up the English game, if he chooses to return

215892_thumb.jpg

Ramsey: Arsenal want to finish above Tottenham
The Wales midfielder is aiming to repeat last season and trump Spurs' efforts to secure a Champions League spot

246141_thumb.jpg

Rodgers refuses to confirm Eriksen interest
Ajax director Marc Overmars says that Liverpool are scouting the Danish star but the Reds boss is remaining coy on any potential targets

192301_thumb.jpg

Laudrup: Tottenham could suffer from international break
The Swansea City boss suggests that the north Londoners may fall foul of the "Fifa virus" ahead of their visit to Wales after having several players away with their countries

202074_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa striker Bent available for Liverpool clash
Villans boss Paul Lambert confirms that the England forward is back in training after injury and illness had kept him out of action since the middle of February

216874_thumb.jpg

Tottenham have 'eight finals' remaining - Lloris
The France international calls on his team-mates to prove their ability and secure a top-four spot, and with it Champions League qualification, by the end of the season

259753_thumb.jpg

Chelsea 'are doing a great job', insists Benitez
The Blues' interim boss is satisfied with the work that he has done at Stamford Bridge and claims that negative quotes about the club attributed to him were invented

263983_thumb.jpg

Vermaelen: I will give everything to regain Arsenal place
The Gunners captain has seen Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker paired in defence ahead of him in recent weeks but is unperturbed and confident of regaining his spot

257758_thumb.jpg

Mancini: Kompany must put Manchester City first
Despite having not appeared for his club in over 60 days due to injury problems, the centre-back played the full 90 minutes of Belgium's midweek clash with Macedonia

133916_thumb.jpg

Manchester City do not play as a team, says Cabaye
The Newcastle midfielder has claimed that Roberto Mancini's side's failure to retain the Premier League title is down to their inability to match Manchester United's cohesion

255438_thumb.jpg

Ajax director Overmars reveals Liverpool interest in Eriksen
The former Arsenal attacker has confirmed that the Merseyside club have been closely monitoring the midfielder, who he believes is good enough to play for the "very best"

262458_thumb.jpg

Liverpool target De Vrij & Ashley Williams as FSG face summer crossroads
Brendan Rodgers' side are showing signs of improvement in the transfer market after recruiting a scouting duo from Manchester City but the squad still needs a boost in defence

258641_thumb.jpg

Terry fit and ready for Chelsea run-in, claims Benitez
The Blues skipper's season has been heavily disrupted by a long-standing knee injury but the interim manager is confident he can play a vital role toward the end of the season

260187_thumb.jpg

Wenger claims Arsenal have edge over Tottenham in race for top four
The Gunners have momentum ahead of the season run-in after two successive away wins at Bayern Munich and Swansea while Spurs have lost three in a row and face Swansea on Saturday

251758_thumb.jpg

I took a paycut to join QPR, reveals defender Samba
The 29-year-old believes the signings chairman Tony Fernandes made were for the good of the club regardless of cost, and believes the club can retain their Premier League status

154901_thumb.jpg

Everton chairman Kenwright hopeful that Moyes will stay
The 67-year-old has been told by the Scot that he wants to discuss his future at the end of the season, but agrees that should he leave he will do so with his head held high

264519_thumb.jpg

Newcastle and Wigan coaches fined for half-time spat
Graham Barrow was also given a one-match touchline ban and John Carver received a warning after the pair came to blows following Callum McManaman's challenge on Massadio Haidara

213209_thumb.jpg

Rodgers reveals Kelly to miss rest of Liverpool season
The young right-back has not featured since suffering a knee ligament injury against Manchester United in September and will not return until the new campaign

212458_thumb.jpg

Pulis: No regrets over Stoke move for Owen
The former Liverpool and England striker has failed to produce goalscoring form during his stint at the Britannia Stadium and has announced that he will retire this summer

264758_thumb.jpg

Lampard: Tambling supportive in pursuit of Chelsea scoring record
The long-time Blues midfielder says the club's all-time leading scorer has endorsed his bid to become the new record holder but knows timing is running out at Stamford Bridge

220189_thumb.jpg

Tottenham assistant Freund bemoans timing of international break
The German feels the World Cup qualifiers fell during the worst possible period as the club look to arrest the slide against Swansea this weekend following three straight defeats

222741_thumb.jpg

Aston Villa's win at Liverpool is 'long gone' - Lambert
The Scot refuses to dwell on December's 3-1 away win over the Reds, but is confident that his side are in good to shape to complete a league double over the Merseyside outfit

265186_thumb.jpg

Hangeland signs Fulham contract extension
The Norway international has finally committed to a further two years at Craven Cottage, keeping him there until summer 2015 with the option of a further 12 months to be added

257660_thumb.jpg

Laudrup confident of Williams stay
The Swansea captain has been linked with the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, but his coach is hopeful he will remain in south Wales

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester City’s School of Football becomes largest in Abu Dhabi

By Ewan Roberts
Mar 27, 2013 6:15:00 PM

126837hp2.jpg

Last season’s Premier League winners, owned by Sheikh Mansour, a member of the ruling family of Abu Dhabi, have been forced to expand the school due to its success

Manchester City have revealed that their School of Football in Abu Dhabi has become the largest in the region only a year after it was opened.

Demand for places has been so high that the academy has been forced to expand, and now caters for 550 youngsters hoping to learn what Patrick Vieira dubs “the City way” of playing.

The school advocates the same training techniques and philosophies used on the training pitches of Carrington, and first team players, including Javi Garcia, have spent time in the country putting kids though their places.

“Every time I visit the School of Football, I am amazed at the growing number of kids wanting to learn how to play the City way and how much talent they have at such a young age,” enthused Vieira, the club’s Football Development Executive.

“It’s so important to have the correct coaching at a young age, as these early principles and values can ultimately end up driving, guiding and defining you as both a player, and as a person.

“Watching the kids develop new football and interpersonal skills on and off the pitch is what the City School of Football is all about.”

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League in talks to close summer transfer window early

Mar 27, 2013 12:15:00 PM

185931hp2.jpg

Clubs want to enhance integrity of the competition and league chiefs have asked the European Professional Football Leagues if there is a Europe-wide appetite to shorten the window

EXCLUSIVE
By Wayne Veysey | UK Correspondent

Premier League chiefs have opened exploratory talks about bringing forward the closure of the summer transfer window, Goalcom can reveal.

Some top-flight clubs are pushing for it to close before the start of the Premier League season in a bid to enhance the integrity of the competition.

This could mean the window shutting more than 23 days earlier than its current August 31 date, with the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons scheduled to start on August 9 and August 8 respectively.

However, sources say any agreement would have to be Europe-wide as clubs fear there will be financial consequences if the Premier League is not in alliance with the other major European Leagues.

Goal.com understands that the Premier League has asked the European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) to find out if there is any appetite across the Continent to shorten the summer window so that it ends before the start of the English top-flight season.

The EPFL is made up of 29 leagues in Europe, whose members include La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga, in addition to the Premier League.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has also been asked by clubs to sound out the major leagues individually.

Sources stress the proposal is only at the exploratory stage and would be “difficult” to agree, given that some European Leagues such as Serie A start at a later date than the Premier League, which will begin on 17 August in 2013-14.

The suggestion has gathered pace because some top-flight clubs believe coinciding the window closure with the start of the season would enhance the sporting value of the competition.

However, critics fear that if there was not an agreement with the other major leagues the costs of players being acquired from overseas may rise and there could also be a drop in the value of players being sold overseas.

There would also be the added complication of conducting transfer business in a tight time-frame during World Cup and European Championships summers.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

End of the road! Stars head for the exit as Arsenal boss Wenger gets tough on flops

By SAMI MOKBEL PUBLISHED: 00:03 GMT, 30 March 2013 | UPDATED: 00:03 GMT, 30 March 2013

Arsene Wenger has warned his under-achieving stars that they are playing for their Arsenal futures.The Gunners manager has decided to spend heavily this summer in an attempt to end the club’s eight-year trophy drought. But Wenger is also planning a clear-out, and is likely to listen to offers for a clutch of high-profile stars as he tries to trim the club’s wage bill ahead of a summer splurge which could reach £75million.

article-2301366-18FDFE43000005DC-314_634x429.jpg

Offski: Arsene Wenger is preparing to offload a number of his squad after another unsuccessful season

article-2301366-18FDFA81000005DC-927_306x423.jpg
article-2301366-18FDFB4B000005DC-966_306x423.jpg

Heading for the exit: Andrey Arshavin (left) and Gervinho are among those who look set to leave Arsenal

Thomas Vermaelen, Bacary Sagna, Tomas Rosicky, Gervinho, Wojciech Szczesny and Per Mertesacker could join Andrey Arshavin, Sebastien Squillaci, Marouane Chamakh, Nicklas Bendtner, Andre Santos and Johan Djourou in a summer cull. And Wenger gave a stark reminder to his stars, saying: ‘The current players have to prove between now and the end of the season that they can be part of our plans next year. ‘We have to analyse (our squad). What will decide my attitude is how we do in our final games and where we can improve at the end of the season.’Victory at home against Reading today could go some way towards persuading Wenger that those under threat can play a role next season.

article-2301366-17C16FAF000005DC-602_634x410.jpg
Down and out: Arsenal face a fight to secure Champions League football for next season

article-2301366-17CBA145000005DC-937_634x440.jpg

Three points could see the Gunners move to within a point of fourth-placed Tottenham, with a game in hand. And Wenger insists his side have the talent and mental capacity to pip their rivals to the final Champions League place for the second consecutive season.He added: ‘The team have gone through difficult times and responded well. They have shown the mental strength as we lost against Blackburn, Bayern Munich and Tottenham. ‘We showed a strong response in the second leg against Bayern and against Swansea. That shows the group is mentally strong.’