• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║║║║║ Barclays Premier League Season 2012-13 ║║║║║

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Follow me or leave, says Di Canio as Sunderland manager claims stars had it easy under previous regime

By SAM CUNNINGHAM PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 17 May 2013 | UPDATED: 21:30 GMT, 17 May 2013

Paolo Di Canio has ordered his players to obey his strict new rules or leave the club. Sunderland's players have had an easy ride under previous managers, according to the Italian, and now Barclays Premier League safety is secure he will introduce a harsher regime. Di Canio has already threatened to cut short his players' holidays depending how they trained in preparation to face Tottenham on Sunday and how they perform in the match.

article-0-19BE32EE000005DC-937_634x458.jpg

Italian job: Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio has urged his squad to obey rules or leave the club

article-0-19BD9753000005DC-563_634x520.jpg

Stalemate: Sunderland drew 1-1 with Southampton last weekend to secure their Premier League status

He has also handed out maximum fines for indiscretions that previously went unpunished.'You have to follow the manager,' Di Canio said. 'If you don't want to follow the manager, then leave. Before it was easy life, now it's a tough life and if you don't want to stay under the tough life you are free. You are free to ask: "Can I leave, can I go somewhere rather than stay here?" They have to be ready to do this.

'The revolution starts now. I have to understand some problems they have got, some limits they have got, as we are here to improve those limits, but in general we are talking about rules and my demands are very high. I have a high expectation and they have to follow me otherwise it is difficult.' It is a brave approach by the 44-year-old, who joined the club less than two months ago and risks causing tension in the dressing room.

He insisted captain John O'Shea is well aware of what is expected because he played under Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United and wants others to fall in line. Di Canio added: 'I did that not because I want to be like now we have a dictator, but I have to take responsibility. I am not worried about looking in their eyes and telling them. I am not worried if they get upset and go against me in training, as one day probably they will understand. We might lose one but the other 10 will want to remain and they will give 200pc.'It happened in League Two at Swindon. Everybody blamed my way to lead the players, saying it is too tough, but I didn't have one request to leave. They all said I want to stay with you, gaffer. One player left and came back within two days and said: "Please, gaffer, even if I don't play one game can I stay with you and from you I learn?"'

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rafa's sweat! Benitez set for £250k bonus if Chelsea clinch third place

By NEIL ASHTON
PUBLISHED: 22:29 GMT, 17 May 2013 | UPDATED: 22:29 GMT, 17 May 2013

Rafa Benitez is sweating on a £250,000 bonus to finish third in the Barclays Premier League to guarantee Champions League football next season. Benitez agreed to the lucrative clause in his contract when he replaced Roberto Di Matteo as Chelsea’s interim coach last November.

article-2326404-19CD3564000005DC-314_634x430.jpg

In the money: Benitez will receive a £250,000 bonus if Chelsea clinch a place in the Champions League

Chelsea, who are in third place ahead of their final game of the season at home against Everton, are two points clear of Arsenal. The Spaniard, who led Chelsea to Europa League glory against Benfica on Wednesday, won’t get the bonus if they finish fourth because that only guarantees a place in the Champions League qualifiers.

article-2326404-19CCF2BE000005DC-772_634x418.jpg

Windfall: The lucrative clause was put in Benitez's contract when he took over from Roberto Di Matteo

Benitez’s reputation has been enhanced after Chelsea finally lifted some silverware during yet another chaotic season at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea went out of the Champions League just weeks after Benitez’s appointment and they failed to win the FIFA World Club Cup and lost in the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup and FA Cup.They finally got their hands on a trophy when Branislav Ivanovic’s injury-time header landed the Europa League in the 68th game of this extraordinary season.

article-2326404-19CD215A000005DC-282_634x408.jpg

Euro glory: Branislav Ivanovic's late winner clinched the Europa League for Chelsea in Amsterdam

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EXCLUSIVE: Special Ron! Jose hopes to hijack United bid and grab Ronaldo for his Chelsea revolution

By NEIL ASHTON and MATT BARLOW PUBLISHED: 21:00 GMT, 17 May 2013 | UPDATED: 22:55 GMT, 17 May 2013

Cristiano Ronaldo is at the centre of a bidding war after it emerged the Manchester United target is wanted by Chelsea.The £80million Real Madrid forward, who was sent off last night in a dramatic Copa del Rey final loss to bitter local rivals Atletico, is on a summer shopping list put together by Chelsea’s incoming manager Jose Mourinho.The Special One was also sent to the stands after arguing with the referee during a bad-tempered match that could turn out to be the last at the Bernabeu for both of them.

article-2326360-19D82E5B000005DC-818_634x449.jpg

Off you go: Ronaldo (above) was sent off in last night's Copa del Rey final, as was Real boss Mourinho (below)

article-2326360-19D805F6000005DC-52_634x463.jpg

United have first option to sign Ronaldo if Real decide to sell and the Portugal star favours a return to Old Trafford. But Mourinho, who has worked with him for the past three years, has added him to his list of premium targets.

article-2326360-19B53D45000005DC-360_634x473.jpg

Wanted: Mourinho hopes to bring Ronaldo with him from Real Madrid to Chelsea this summer

Wayne Rooney, who would prefer to move to Chelsea, and Napoli striker Edinson Cavani are also wanted by Mourinho. Ronaldo has spent four seasons at Real Madrid but has become frustrated by the lack of harmony at the club.

article-2326360-19D7F02C000005DC-697_634x404.jpg

article-0-19D7BBCD000005DC-901_634x419.jpg

One of the best: Ronaldo scored his 55th goal of the season for Real Madrid last night

That’s not something Chelsea are noted for either but Roman Abramovich is set to spend big this summer.Interim Chelsea coach Rafa Benitez claimed yesterday that Abramovich is about to fund a £100m spree for his new manager.

article-2326360-19C6DAA9000005DC-553_306x423.jpg
article-2326360-18C39247000005DC-638_306x423.jpg

On the list: Manchester United's Wayne Rooney (left) and Napoli's Edinson Cavani are also wanted by Mourinho

Although Mourinho is unlikely to be able to persuade all three forwards to move to Chelsea, the club intend to move swiftly this summer. Mourinho’s relationship with Ronaldo was under scrutiny last weekend when the forward appeared to shout ‘**** you’ at his coach after scoring his 200th goal for Real.

article-2326360-0128C8AF000004B0-510_634x467.jpg

Spending spree: Abramovich is set to give Mourinho £100m to spend this summer

Ronaldo spoke in Portuguese when he pointed to the Real club badge and shouted ‘I’m here, I’m here’ in front of Mourinho as the coach prepares to quit Spain after three years in charge of the world’s biggest football club. Meanwhile, Chelsea are prepared to excuse Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole and Gary Cahill from the second of two exhibition games in the USA next week to help England.

article-0-19B009BC000005DC-54_634x368.jpg

Testy: Ronaldo appeared to shout at Mourinho after scoring his 200th goal for Real against Malaga last week

The trio will be allowed to return after the first friendly against Manchester City in St Louis on Wednesday and miss the return fixture in New York three days later. It will enable them to recover in time to play for England against the Republic of Ireland at Wembley on Wednesday May 29, when Cole will be presented with a Golden Cap to mark his century of international appearances.Cole won his 100th cap against Brazil in February and his 101st in Montenegro, so England boss Roy Hodgson will offer him the chance to captain his country against the Irish to complete the tribute.

article-2326360-03F314F000000514-235_634x475.jpg

Excused: Lampard and Cole are allowed to miss the second match against Manchester City in America in order to recover in time for England's friendly against the Republic of Ireland

Hodgson’s squad will then fly to Brazil after the Ireland game for a friendly against the next World Cup hosts in Rio de Janeiro’s iconic Maracana, on June 2.City have no plans to offer Joe Hart, Joleon Lescott and James Milner early release from the controversial post-season games in the US. Chelsea will fly to the US on Monday, and John Terry and Eden Hazard are expected to miss out due to injuries.Hazard will return to Belgium to receive treatment ahead of World Cup qualifiers next month.

article-2326360-0360130400000514-891_634x411.jpg

Out: Hazard is expected to miss the US tour through injury and will return to Belgium to receive treatment

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

262089_thumb.jpg

Tevez keen on summer move to Paris Saint-Germain or Monaco
The Argentina international has consistently been linked with a move and could be set to follow boss Roberto Mancini away from the Etihad Stadium

202561_thumb.jpg

Nasri: I'm staying at Manchester City
The France midfielder has rubbished speculation linking him with a move away from the club

281376_thumb.jpg

Chelsea loanee Courtois confirms desire to stay at Atletico Madrid
The Belgian shot-stopper would prefer to remain in La Liga for another season than return to West London as Petr Cech's understudy, with the 2014 World Cup on the horizon

279827_thumb.jpg

Ferdinand set for contract talks with Manchester United
The now-former England defender could extend his stay at Old Trafford to an 11th season

280788_thumb.jpg

Torres pays tribute to departing Benitez
The Spanish striker, who opened the scoring in the club's Europa League final victory in midweek, has lifted the lid on life at Stamford Bridge under the former Liverpool manager

259797_thumb.jpg

'I only want to go to a club where the manager really wants me' - Fellaini
The midfielder has enjoyed a successful 2012-13 campaign and ahead of his current manager's move to Manchester United, has not ruled out linking up with the Scot once more

280782_thumb.jpg

Benitez looks abroad as he searches for 'the right job' after Chelsea
The Blues' boss emphasises the need to remain patient as he hunts for his next managerial role, though he also expresses his sadness at leaving his current squad of players

271778_thumb.jpg

Wenger signals Arsenal's intentions to spend big ahead of title challenge
The Gunners boss stressed the importance of finishing well against Newcastle before they delve into any transfer activity, hoping that managerial switches could give them a push

280120_thumb.jpg

Conte: Tevez talk is disrespectful
The Juventus coach insists it would be unfair on his current players to discuss transfer speculation so soon after they clinched the Serie A title

213306_thumb.jpg

Clichy signs new four-year Manchester City contract
The left-back expresses his delight at signing his extended new deal before insisting that his side will return stronger after a disappointing season all around

265826_thumb.jpg

Hodgson implores clubs to release players early for England duty
The Three Lions boss supports Chelsea's move to allow key men to return quickly from post-season tours to face Ireland and Brazil and hopes that other managers will follow suit

272916_thumb.jpg

Juventus director hints at Tevez move
Beppe Marotta admits that the Manchester City star would be easier to sign than compatriot Gonzalo Higuain due to the fact that the 29-year-old's contract expires next summer

277480_thumb.jpg

I would consider coaching, says retiring Carragher
The 35-year-old predicts he will miss the dressing room environment after retirement and that management may be the only way to experience it once again in the future

275422_thumb.jpg

Bale will attract better players to Tottenham, insists Villas-Boas
The 35-year-old boss reveals he hopes to use the recently-crowned Barclays Player of the Season to lure big names to White Hart Lane during the summer

281212_thumb.jpg

Pardew: Rooney won't be joining Newcastle
Although the Magpies boss hopes to strengthen his frontline this summer, he has dismissed speculation linking the want-away Manchester United forward with a move to St James' Park

248893_thumb.jpg

Giggs: Long-serving Manchester United players will back Moyes
With the Everton manager set to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson, the veteran midfielder insists the new boss will have the support of all the senior figures in the dressing room

117946_thumb.jpg

Redknapp hails 'real leader' Carragher
The defender is set to hang up his boots following Sunday's game against QPR having player 738 times for the Anfield club, and the Rs boss says he ranks among the club's best

278951_thumb.jpg

Rodgers coy on Carroll's future at Liverpool
The striker initially struggled for form and fitness on loan at West Ham, frustrating the Irishman, only for the England international to improve as the season wore on

280782_thumb.jpg

Benitez: Chelsea can win the title next season
Ahead of his last game in charge of the Blues, the interim boss believes they can win the Premier League next season, and hinted that Jose Mourinho could return

251876_thumb.jpg

Moyes will decide Rooney's future, says Ferguson
The 27-year-old is convinced he has no role under the incoming Scot and is looking to force through a move away from Old Trafford this summer, with Arsenal and Chelsea interested

278347_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas ready for Tottenham revolution
The Portuguese manager has assured Spurs fans that he has plans to transform the team regardless of whether or not they secure Champions League football next season

Shinji Kagawa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

216104_thumb.jpg

Gibbs praises Arsenal character & sets sights on next season
After winning eight of their last ten Premier League games the Gunners claimed the final Champions League spot and the defender is hoping the run will go on in 2013-14

236991_thumb.jpg

Fernandinho tweets desire to join Manchester City
The Brazilian has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Premier League after a series of impressive performances for Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League this season

249139_thumb.jpg

Podolski: Joining Juventus is conceivable
The Gunners forward has responded to recent rumours linking him with switch to the Serie A giants, saying that they make him feel "honoured"

281814_thumb.jpg

Torres: I can be better next season
After a much-improved campaign in front of goal, the forward is showing signs of being back to his best and is calling for consistency to help Chelsea challenge for the title

282073_thumb.jpg

Trapattoni backs Benitez for Napoli post
The Italian coach believes the Spaniard would be an excellent substitute to take over the reigns from Walter Mazzarri at the San Paolo

183512_thumb.jpg

Cech urges swift managerial appointment at Chelsea to boost title hopes
Interim boss Rafa Benitez leaves the Blues having guided them to third place and Europa League glory, and the Czech goalkeeper believes they need to announce a replacement quickly

276861_thumb.jpg

'Chelsea need to win trophies every year' - Luiz eyes progression next season
The Brazilian admitted the season has been hard with 68 games all in all, but believes the Europa League success and third-place finish shows the Blues can keep improving

280789_thumb.jpg

Lampard: I would not have stayed in the Premier League if I had to leave Chelsea
The midfielder recently became the club's record goalscorer before signing a new deal, but admitted he thought he would be on the way out of Stamford Bridge this summer

278159_thumb.jpg

'Tottenham can challenge for title with another top striker' - Sunderland boss Di Canio
The Mackems boss believes the north London side need to hold onto PFA Player of the Year and add another goalscorer with their rivals set to reinforce this summer

281824_thumb.jpg

Now or never for Wenger to re-establish Arsenal as a major force
The Gunners sealed a place in next season's Champions League with victory at Newcastle on Sunday - and must now spend money to improve the squad over the summer

278774_thumb.jpg

Moyes at Carrington to begin Manchester United reign
The Scot is at the home of the champions and will meet staff and be given a tour of the facilities as he prepares to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson

237536_thumb.jpg

Arteta praises team spirit after Arsenal claim fourth place
The Gunners sealed Champions League football for next season with a win over Newcastle at St James' Park, and the midfielder hopes his side can now push on for the title next term

281941_thumb.jpg

Benitez happy with Chelsea tenure despite lack of send-off
Despite leading the club to Europa League glory and a third-placed finish in the Premier League, the Spaniard did not take part in the traditional end-of-season lap of honour

281756_thumb.jpg

Tottenham will 'raise the bar' next season, vows Villas-Boas
The Spurs boss is confident Europa League football will be enough to keep Gareth Bale as he prepares to bolster his squad this summer for a renewed pursuit of the top four

280556_thumb.jpg

Kidd: Emotional Man City must regroup
After the Premier League runners-up sacked Roberto Mancini, his former assistant is hoping to move on swiftly after their final game of the season ended in defeat to Norwich City

263725_thumb.jpg

Tottenham are still good enough to attract big players, insists Villas-Boas
The Portuguese believes that his side are still capable of landing their summer targets despite missing out on Champions League qualification to Arsenal on the final day

281744_thumb.jpg

Benitez unsure of future after bowing out at Chelsea
The interim manager reflects on a job well done after beating Everton to finish third in the Premier League but gives no clues as to his future beyond Stamford Bridge

281791_thumb.jpg

Carragher admits to 'emotional' Liverpool send-off
The 35-year-old was sad to realise that Sunday's 1-0 victory over QPR will be the last time that he plays competitvely at Anfield as he officially retires from football

280947_thumb.jpg

Carrick: Ferguson can retire satisfied
The Manchester United midfielder insists that the Scot can walk away from the game happy, despite a hectic 5-5 draw with West Brom on the final day of the season

281821_thumb.jpg

Wenger proud of Arsenal character after Champions League return is secured
The manager credits his team's attitude after reaching the top four ahead of Tottenham with a final-day win over Newcastle - their eighth in an 11-game unbeaten run

281809_thumb.jpg

Arsenal hold their nerve to clinch Champions League football again
Arsene Wenger's side produced a clinical performance to secure a top-four Premier League finish but now they must kick on if they wish to challenge for honours next year

277252_thumb.jpg

Walcott calls for Arsenal title push in 2013-14
The England forward was delighted to have "shut people up" by clinching qualification for the Champions League at the expense of Tottenham, but wants his side to go one better

281824_thumb.jpg

Arsenal seal final Champions League spot
The race for fourth place went down to the wire, but it was the Gunners who came out on top thanks to their victory over Newcastle, leaving Tottenham in fifth place

197556_thumb.jpg

Beckham & Fergie will always be remembered, says Kleberson
The World Cup winner who spent two years at Old Trafford hailed the huge impact of the pair of retiring legends, saying they are huge stars and models for everyone to follow

274361_thumb.jpg

Fergie is in a class of his own, says Kagawa
The Japan international has admitted that he wishes he could have played under the legendary coach for longer than one season ahead of his final match against West Brom

278224_thumb.jpg

Leverkusen attacker Schurrle hints at Chelsea move
The Germany international has long been linked with a summer move to Stamford Bridge and following the conclusion of the Bundesliga, admitted he expects to leave for west London

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ferguson named LMA Premier League Manager of the Year

By Liam Twomey
May 20, 2013 11:49:00 PM

281746hp2.jpg

The retiring 71-year-old becomes the first manager to win the award four times after a season in which he guided Manchester United to a record 20th league title

Sir Alex Ferguson has been named Premier League Manager of the Year by the League Managers' Association.

Ferguson, who retires this summer after 26 years in charge of Manchester United, becomes the first manager to win the prestigious award - voted for by fellow bosses - four times.

Receiving the award from West Ham manager Sam Allardyce at the LMA awards dinner on Monday evening, Ferguson joked that West Brom boss Steve Clarke should have been given the honour for scoring five times against his United side on Sunday.

"It was the perfect send-off," he remarked at the result. "5-5 - everyone will remember it, that's for sure."

Commenting on the reaction to his retirement, Ferguson added: "It's overwhelming. The club has been fantastic and congratulations to West Brom with the way they handled yesterday.

"In a way I'm glad it's over, because it's hard work!"

And asked when he thought United were going to win a record 20th league title, he jokingly replied: "August 17!"

Malky Mackay was named Championship Manager of the Year for overseeing Cardiff's first ever promotion to the Premier League.

Gary Johnson picked up the League One award for guiding Yeovil to victory in the play-off final against Brentford on Sunday, while Gillingham boss Martin Allen picked up the League Two award.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'We want silverware' - Arsenal chief Gazidis

By Tom McKeown
May 20, 2013 10:27:00 PM

218259hp2.jpg

The Gunners secured Champions League qualification for next season with a 1-0 win over Newcastle, but the club is adamant that will not be the limit of their ambition

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis insists the club will do everything they can to put the Gunners in a strong position to challenge for trophies.

Arsene Wenger’s men secured Champions League football on Sunday after a run of eight wins in their final 10 Premier League games saw them pip rivals Tottenham to fourth place in the table.

The Gunners went another season without winning a trophy but Gazidis was full of praise for Wenger’s achievement in making the top four yet again.

“Arsene and the team put together a remarkably strong and consistent run in the final stages of the season, a run of form of which we should all be proud,” he told the club’s official website.

“It puts us into the Champions League fight for the 16th consecutive year.”

After eight years without a trophy fans have started to question the club’s priorities, but the chief executive reassured fans silverware is at the forefront of their plans.

“It is important to reiterate that for everyone at the club, qualification for the Champions League is not our ultimate ambition,” he added.

“Our majority owner Mr [Stan] Kroenke has made it clear that while it's an achievement to make the Champions League our ultimate objective is to win the major trophies.

“We all share that clear ambition and will be driving the club forward to achieve it. Arsene and I have already been planning what we need to do to strengthen so we are better placed next season.”

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

EXCLUSIVE: Bale Bombshell! Spurs face paying star £200k a week to stay

By CHARLES SALE PUBLISHED: 21:48 GMT, 20 May 2013 | UPDATED: 05:38 GMT, 21 May 2013

Tottenham’s failure to secure Champions League football is going to impact heavily on contract talks with their star performer Gareth Bale.The triple Footballer of the Year, who scored 26 goals for Spurs in a brilliant personal campaign, is expected to commit his future to White Hart Lane for at least one more season. But Tottenham are going to have to improve his salary to around the £200,000-a-week mark — putting him on a par with the best-paid players in the Premier League such as Yaya Toure, Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie — to make up for his huge disappointment at not taking part in European club football’s flagship competition.

article-2327478-19DFDD18000005DC-373_634x477.jpg

Celebrate: Gareth Bale, after scoring his latest screamer against Sunderland, has signed a new Spurs deal

article-2327478-19E0A017000005DC-315_634x476.jpg

Applause: The news will keep Andre Villas-Boas armed with his star player next season

The Wales international realises his chances of playing in a World Cup or even a European Championship with his national team are slim, making Champions League involvement all the more important to him.

So Spurs will have to grant Bale a massive pay rise to compensate for parading his talent in the second-rate Europa League even though there are three years left on his £110,000-a-week contract. A Spurs source said: ‘The vital issue will be getting the Champions League out of Gareth’s head before he commits for another season.That won’t be easy.’

Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas’s remarks after the fifth-place finish in the Premier League point to his hardball chairman Daniel Levy realising he will have to almost double Bale’s current deal, with Real Madrid likely to offer at least £50m to lure him.

article-2327478-19E083B5000005DC-885_634x394.jpg

Despondent: Tottenham missed out on Champions League football thanks to rivals Arsenal beating Newcastle

Villas-Boas said: ‘If we want to make it better next season we have to hold on to our best assets.’ Bale scored yet another stunning last-minute match-winner for Spurs on Sunday which only increase his value further - but the Tottenham chairman is determined to avoid a long drawn-out summer of bargaining and wants the 23-year-old to sign on the dotted line. The Luka Modric contract saga, and Madrid's courting of the midfield maestro, lasted nearly two years and affected the squad's preparation for the Premier League season. Spurs want to wrap up Bale's signature for at least one more season before the players break up for their summer holiday.

article-2327478-19DFD649000005DC-134_634x472.jpg

Flying away: The deal could see Bale leave White Hart Lane next summer if a club bids £50 million

Levy used his annual chairman’s message to Spurs supporters as a way of insisting that the club’s top stars would not be leaving in the summer.'Looking ahead to the summer, we shall continue to seek to strengthen and improve the team and to retain key players,' Levy wrote.'We also look forward to the return of Sandro and Younes (Kaboul) who were missed this season but who are well on the road to full fitness.'

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bring in the PFA! Sunderland duo want fines imposed by Di Canio for breaking club rules investigated... and you can read the Italian's amazing rant about the sanctions right here

By COLIN YOUNG PUBLISHED: 00:23 GMT, 21 May 2013 | UPDATED: 00:23 GMT, 21 May 2013

Two Sunderland players have brought in the PFA to investigate fines imposed by head coach Paolo Di Canio last week. The Italian manager revealed at the weekend that he had fined seven players for breaking club rules in the run-up to their final day defeat at Tottenham. At White Hart Lane, Di Canio revealed the indiscretions, which he described as `unacceptable behaviour’, were for failing to take part in a signing session, lateness and avoiding calls from the club doctor.

article-2328120-19BDE8EC000005DC-58_306x402.jpg
article-2328120-08A310B3000005DC-648_306x402.jpg

Dropped: Sunderland's Phil Bardsley, left, and Matthew Kilgallon were left out for the Spurs game

article-2328120-19DDA703000005DC-199_634x464.jpg

Professionalism: Bardsley was pictured covered in £50 notes

article-2328120-19DD8615000005DC-921_634x392.jpg

Celebration: Bardsley and Matt Kilgallon celebrated in a casino after Wigan's defeat ensured their Premier League survival

He also dropped defenders Phil Bardsley and Matthew Kilgallon for the Spurs game after they were both photographed in a casino celebrating after Wigan’s defeat at Arsenal on Tuesday, which guaranteed Sunderland’s Premier League survival. Bardsley was pictured on the floor surrounded by £50 notes and two players are understood to have sought guidance from the PFA about whether they can be fined. PFA chairman Gordon Taylor said: `There are rules laid down and we would expect Sunderland to adhere to those the same as every other club. 'I don’t want to get into confrontation with them but the players can’t be treated just according to what Paolo thinks.

article-2328120-0EB7E79800000578-376_634x397.jpg

Getting involved: PFA chairman Gordon Taylor said two Sunderland players have come to the organisation asking for advice

article-2328120-19DFFD8C000005DC-165_634x414.jpg

Not happy: Paolo Di Canio is frustrated at the PFA's involvement

'There are rules and procedures that both he and the club need to adhere to. Yes, the players have come to us for representation. We are aware of the problem. The players did well for him when he came. 'There is a process. If the player has been fined and that is out of the regular code which is described by us and the Premier League, they have the right of appeal. There is a right procedure of doing things that is clearly laid down.’ Di Canio has already spoken of his frustration at the PFA becoming involved.

Before the game at Tottenham, he insisted the players had been punished under rules laid down in their contracts. He said: `Why do they need to speak? They get fined. They are under a private club. The PFA don’t pay them, it’s a private club that pays them. 'They have to now try and understand because for our player we already received a phone call. It was a clear misconduct.’

One angry Italian. Di Canio's rant (EDITED)
<center></center>

NOW READ THE TRANSCRIPT OF DI CANIO'S 24-MINUTE RANT IN FULL ...

Reporter: You wanted a good performance from the side...

Paolo Di Canio: You are very generous. No, in terms of discipline, desire and commitment, nothing to say. I really think you know that they gave everything.

I told them, obviously, Bale once again, unfortunately made the difference but you can appreciate the goal he scored. It’s obvious that they should score even before. They deserved to stay 1-0 up early but in terms of commitment, desire to only say thanks to the players but that should be normal.

It’s obvious my frustration is because we didn’t cause more problems to the opponent but in general today, yes. I'm happy. Very happy.

Because, after what’s happened during the week, it wasn’t easy. Coming here with 11 adults, or six, seven adults, some young on the field starting XI and six kids on the bench wasn’t easy. Until the end we were nearly able to pick a point. That is one of the only good things that happened today.

Reporter:
Can you explain what has happened with Phil Bardsley, and tell us any more about the pictures that appeared in the Sunday newspapers (of the defender lying on the floor covered in £50 notes)?

PDC:
You know more than me. I discovered... I saw the picture on a website, later, of the night that they spent out so what do I have to tell you? He’s out of my squad. It’s obvious. How I can play a player that probably is blurry for three, four days after what’s happened?

More important I want to deliver the very clear message I wanted to deliver since the beginning that there is not an excuse to behave like he did, because Wigan lost the game so we stayed up, otherwise every time we are going to beat Man United what are we going to do? Or after every Newcastle game? What are we going to do, spend two nights out because we are happy?

I can understand if we win a Champions League or maybe an FA Cup. Even having two glasses of red wine I can understand because I know it is a different culture. It can happen also to me. I celebrated a UEFA Cup with Juventus - more in the night, more drink. I don’t want to change the culture of the people but I told them, from the day before, from now I will be more strict because I will judge you more carefully because now we have to improve our professionalism.
We have to respect the dignity of the club and the fans because they still follow us, 3,000 people, and respect the rules of the sport because, like we were happy when Swansea won against Wigan, we have to make sure we give everything to make it difficult for Tottenham, obviously for ourselves, but also for the others.

The most important is for us but also for the sport in general. They have to care what is going on around us. But, if you don’t respect yourself, how can you respect the others?

Reporter: Does this affect his (Bardsley's) future?

PDC: I will think really carefully. Always I give a second chance to people. We are talking about 31 years of age (Bardsley is 27) not a kid, with a family at home. I’m not here to be a priest, to convince the people to be different but to talk about my club and my team. We have a fantastic academy. We have young players that are in the changing room next to adults.

If we don't punish this kind of behaviour, what are we talking about, a fantastic academy? They're going to sprint down, get their boots and say 'good morning' to everybody? They're very educated people, but if we don't punish this kind of behaviour, how do they grow up? Thinking they can laugh about what they saw on the website picture? Maybe they think it's fantastic; to be like a gangster. But what mentality are we going to deliver?

Sometimes I discovered here at Sunderland - and at many other places, unfortunately - there is always a fantastic Christmas box. Then inside...oh, nothing. There is a piece of chocolate that's open already. We have to put something in this box - maybe you like a diamond? - otherwise we're always talking and we close our eyes and we're never going to change. In the future I will be very clear with the players.

Reporter: Is this about changing English drinking culture?

PDC: It's not an English culture, just a different culture. I don't want to change the culture because I love England. When you decide to work in an environment there is positive and negative. I know this part. I was speaking with Andre (Villas-Boas) before and it's normal, but not often and not at the wrong time. There is (a right) time and (a wrong) time.

Tonight I can imagine, even after the Newcastle game, I can imagine. But not like we saw (on Tuesday night). That is something really wrong. It's disgusting me even to see the image for the club. It's not about going out with your friend and getting back at two o'clock or three o'clock, which is late. But you can close one eye. But not full of alcohol and walking like this. They have to behave well.

It takes three or four days (to recover). I realised in the morning because I didn't see the picture, to be honest, I told my assistant manager: 'I don't play Phil Sunday or today.'
'Why?' 'Look. I speak to him and he looks in the sky. He can't listen to what I'm going to tell him. He's blurry. I don't know what's happened.'

The day after I discovered what had happened and, obviously, I rang my player and I discovered it was a really, really bad situation. I discovered that out with him were other players, but the others left the two guys, who got into the casino and stayed there until early in the morning, which is completely different.

Obviously, Tuesday night they went out together, had dinner and watched the game. They are allowed to do this. They had a drink, celebrated and they were happy. I can imagine. Ten o'clock, 11 o'clock, MIDNIGHT...but not exaggerate. What I saw is not acceptable for my club and for my squad. That is not acceptable.

Reporter: Will you make changes for next season?

PDC: Talking about mentality, it's not only the manager. All my staff, we have to make sure that when we bring in players they are good professionals because they have to influence each other. The dressing room is their kingdom. I can put the strict rules to help them to understand we have to behave in a different way but we need to bring in six or seven players who know how to behave and have a professional ethic and then they can help each other.

Otherwise, for me, it's difficult. In general, we need to bring in quality, particularly up front, because to win games you need to score. We don't score many goals.

Reporter:
Harry Redknapp has fined one player more than he earns this month. Are you finding you are having to fine more players than you expected?

PDC: At the beginning I thought it was difficult. Week by week, daily, I discover we have more problems than I expected. That's why I said to everybody we made a miracle (to survive) because what we discovered this week is only one aspect of the problems we've got. It doesn't mean that everybody goes out every night and has a drinking session - no.

In general, talking about professionalism or the job we want to deliver or rules, I go mad. I tell you this. What's happened to Bardsley is a far path for me, for what's happened in the last three days … a few other players. In a week, I gave in seven players' hands, seven fines. Even for small things. Half an hour late.

Reporter: Is David Vaughan next (after his red card against Tottenham)?

PDC: No, in this kind of situation, two yellow cards. We can help him to understand it is a moment in the game, no no no. Different reasons. Obviously Craig (Gardner) being sent off (against Aston Villa) it was clear it was a silly, silly challenge. He has to be punished in some way.

He got a three-match ban. He said sorry. But we live in life. I was driving fast two months ago. I say sorry but I get fined. Probably they are going to deduct six points. I was wrong. Picture (from a speed camera). That wasn't public! I should have sent other information. Maybe my brother. Paolo Di Canio was guilty, I have to pay the price. Otherwise I am never going to have self-discipline. So we have to help the people to understand that they have to take responsibility.

This week. Seven fined and this morning, and this morning once again … even if I didn't care about what has happened at Academy of Light … some player that could be involved for different reasons in my squad today. They decide they don't train that day. They made the diagnosis. One player didn't go to Academy of Light because he said yesterday, I had food poisoning. Sorry, are you a doctor? The doctor tried to contact him? Three hours he switched off the telephone. This is the situation at Sunderland.

This is why I tell you we made a miracle. Previously eight games with three points. With Di Canio, seven games and eight points. That is the miracle we made. And without the strikers, because before there was (Steven) Fletcher, Stephane (Sessegnon), Craig (Gardener) available. Three top strikers.

That is the miracle we made. But we can't make a miracle for ever so we have to change a lot of things. If they want to change something they have to follow me, otherwise it's difficult to get better results than what they got in the last few years.

Reporter:
Have you spoken to the owner? Will he support you?

PDC: He knows many things. I spoke to him before. He told me we are going to change many things. This is what he told me before. Relax. We are going to change many things so it sounds that he supports me completely. We will see in the future.

Reporter:
You said you have fined seven players. Can you tell us what for?

PDC: No, different reasons, different rules. They are not my rules. They are the rule you have in every club. If you are injured. You know that you have a plan. You know that in the morning, you have treatment. In the afternoon, you have to go in the pool. And you leave at lunchtime and you switch off the telephone and nobody can contact you all day. You have to get fined.

But this is not Paolo DI Canio. When I gave the fine in his hands the day after, he was surprised. Before it was normal, to leave the training ground and switch off the telephone.

Then the day after, everybody forgot, because it was more convenient, they don't have friction with the player, probably. I don't care. To have an argument with my players but I have to go through the rules. This was one.

Then there were a few others. If you think after Aston Villa, we lost 6-1, I gave the appointment at 4pm in the afternoon. Somebody arrived at 20 past four. I didn't give them an appointment at 7am. At 4pm, someone arrived late. What sense of responsibility do they have?

They live five minutes from the Academy of Light. I was waiting there in the corridor. Three, four players arrived by walking. Not running. This was the behaviour in the Premier League. A club that every year spent millions and millions. It's not acceptable.

I thought that at Swindon, League Two, arrogant, ignorant footballers in some way, so they don't know exactly because there are not many chances to stay at the top level. I have to tell you unfortunately, I found a worse environment in terms of discipline in this club.

This is what I found in the last three weeks so we have to change completely. It will be very hard if I don't receive the maximum support from the board because I know that every time the player will go to the PFA. The PFA will call and you have to let them speak, and they excuse people that behave like Phil Bardsley and you can't fine them.

Let them speak, they them explain. What is there to say? They are under a private club. It's a private club that pay them. The PFA don't pay. We have to defend the professionalism and the dignity. They have to understand. We receive already a phone call, it was a clear misconduct. Yeah, but you have to... Hey, lads, the club pay them. Not you. It happened to me many times at Swindon. Now we have to be more sensible. But it's very difficult to change.
Reporter: Will the players you have fined still be at Sunderland next year, if you can control that?

PDC: No. Not under me.

Reporter: Will you get the financial backing you need to do that?

PDC: I know that there is a plan. The picture is clear before me. I have told about it already. I am head coach, the others have to handle the financial situation. I have said we need this player, this quality, in this position, show me the player we can go and I tell them yes this player is OK.

Reporter: Will you cut the players' holiday time?

PDC: For the players? The next few days we will be in together because previously once again the people you see organised during the week to go from London to Hawaii, Miami. They were thinking four or five days ago we will organise the bags, my wife, my girlfriend, we go together. Not possible.

Today (Sunday) we fly back to Sunderland, our city, as a team. We stay tomorrow (Monday) together with the kids' sponsors which we have a job to do with, then some players have international football and the others will stay together. We will enjoy it and then they can go on holiday.

Reporter:
Can we just ask about today's game? Did you think Spurs should have had two penalties? Did Bale deserve a yellow card for diving?

PDC: I saw only the challenge shoulder to shoulder. I didn't see if there were crossed legs. I don't know what happened. Its difficult for me to focus. The Bale one can be a yellow card or a penalty, sometimes it's 50-50. I saw that it was contact but it wasn't clear. I don't know about the other one. I am not sure if he (Cuellar) opened his arms. If you do it's a penalty but I don't know. It was 70 yards away.

Reporter:
Can Spurs compete with Arsenal and maybe challenge for the title?

PDC: With this manager, with Andre, and with two or three top, top (signings) it will be easy. That bit, it take a lot, you need a big big quality, another top, top striker because Defoe and Adebayor they can guarantee goals but they need a top, top striker up front, in my opinion.

If they do get one they are in contention for the league because Man City and Chelsea are going to reinforce their team and (Jose) Mourinho will probably come back but the job that they have done already this year is amazing.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

279878_thumb.jpg

'I can't see Rooney playing for anyone other than Manchester United' - Quinton Fortune
The former South Africa international remarks that it would be "very strange" to see the forward in a different shirt and hopes that new boss David Moyes will carry on winning

282440_thumb.jpg

Montella admits Jovetic could leave Fiorentina
The Viola boss says the club could be tempted to sell the player if one of his suitors were to make a sufficient bid

270567_thumb.jpg

Jones set for England central-defensive role
The versatile Manchester United man is set to feature from the off against the Republic of Ireland and Brazil, despite not having played for the national side for a year

279827_thumb.jpg

Rio Ferdinand signs new one-year Manchester United contract
The 34-year-old's previous deal was due to expire this summer but the veteran has now committed his future to Old Trafford for another 12 months of "living the dream"

260946_thumb.jpg

Welbeck eager to improve goal tally
The England forward has admitted he is unhappy with his goalscoring record for the Red Devils, though believes his form has been hampered by playing on the wing

281808_thumb.jpg

Bale would be perfect for Real Madrid, says Ramos
The Tottenham attacker has been linked with a move away from north London, and the 27-year-old defender believes he would be a huge success in the Spanish capital

277627_thumb.jpg

'He's a born winner' - Mata would welcome Mourinho at Chelsea
The Spaniard has praised the outgoing Real Madrid coach and believes the Blues can challenge for the Premier League title under his stewardship

160048_thumb.jpg

Zabaleta backs boss-to-be Pellegrini to succeed at Manchester City
The 28-year-old right-back believes the Chilean's great wealth of experience will see the club secure trophies and improve in the Champions League with an attractive style of play

281996_thumb.jpg

Cavani, Fernandinho & Isco head up Manchester City's €140m summer splurge
The Premier League runners-up are preparing for a post-season restructuring ahead of Manuel Pellegrini's arrival, which sources say will "stun English football"

253935_thumb.jpg

Hart urges Manchester City to move on ahead of Pellegrini arrival
The England international, who was singled out for criticism by Roberto Mancini last term, believes the club only need "little tweaks" in order to challenge for titles next season

282436_thumb.jpg

Arsenal yet to make contact over Jovetic switch, claims Fiorentina sporting director
Daniele Prade insists the north London club have not made an approach for the 23-year-old Montenegro striker, before dismissing a possible move to Serie A rivals Juventus

280292_thumb.jpg

Vidic praises Manchester United's team spirit after winning title off City
The 31-year-old captain was delighted to see him and his team-mates triumph over their neighbours, before thanking the retiring Sir Alex Ferguson for guidance during his career

280300_thumb.jpg

Giroud urges Arsenal to improve in Champions League
The Frenchman has enjoyed a promising maiden campaign for the Gunners and commended the side for wrapping up a top-four finish, but maintained they must progress in Europe

233979_thumb.jpg

Reina is good enough for Barca, says Angoy
With Victor Valdes set to quit Camp Nou, the Anfield shot-stopper has been linked with a return to the Catalan club he left in 2002 as a replacement for the 31-year-old

282393_thumb.jpg

Van Persie picks up Premier League Golden Boot
The Manchester United striker scored 26 goals as Sir Alex Ferguson's side secured a record 20th title, notching two hat-tricks to win the award by three strikes

160404_thumb.jpg

Manchester United target Thiago Alcantara
The midfielder is also on the radar of Manchester City this summer, with the 22-year-old keen to leave Camp Nou in the pursuit of first-team opportunities

265082_thumb.jpg

Phil Neville admits he wants to replace Moyes as Everton manager
The 36-year-old Toffees captain has informed Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright that he is willing to take over at Goodison Park

213306_thumb.jpg

Mancini must take responsibility for poor Manchester City form, says Clichy
The France left-back suggests that the ousted manager has to shoulder a large portion of the blame after the club performed poorly in the league and lost the FA Cup final to Wigan

265339_thumb.jpg

Liverpool under no pressure to sell Suarez, insists Rodgers
The Anfield boss believes the Uruguay international is happy at the club but is expecting the forward to attract interest from sides during the transfer window

273944_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini would be a 'good fit' for Manchester City, admits Nasri
The Frenchman would welcome the arrival of the Chilean and is aiming to stay at the club and mount challenges for the Premier League and Champions League next season

279668_thumb.jpg

Mancini's exit has not caused instability, insists Manchester City chief Soriano
The Etihad Stadium chief is adamant it was not a mistake to sack the Italian with two games remaining and believes the club will progress under their new manager

237005_thumb.jpg

Derek Boateng confirms Fulham move
The 30-year-old Ghana international has revealed he has signed a two-year deal with the Cottagers, moving from Ukrainian side Dnipro, and will begin training immediately

253460_thumb.jpg

Manchester City & New York Yankees announce MLS partnership
The Premier League outfit have joined forces with the Major League Baseball franchise to acquire New York City Football Club - the 20th American club, set to commence in 2015

281772_thumb.jpg

Reina 'flattered' by Barcelona rumours
The 30-year-old has been tipped to replace Victor Valdes at Camp Nou this summer, but insists he is happy to stay at Liverpool despite an indifferent season

251160_thumb.jpg

West Ham sign Razvan Rat from Shakhtar Donetsk
Sam Allardyce has confirmed that the 31-year-old Romanian full-back has joined the Hammers on a one-year deal after leaving the Ukrainian champions on a free transfer

281168_thumb.jpg

Sanogo relishing summer move to Arsenal
The 20-year-old is set to leave Auxerre to join the Gunners when his contract expires, and he has revealed he snubbed other offers to join the north London outfit

281759_thumb.jpg

Sherwood 'one million per cent' sure Bale will stay at Tottenham
The 23-year-old’s future has come under speculation after Spurs failed to qualify for the Champions League, but the club’s coach is confident their star man is going nowhere

273444_thumb.jpg

Mourinho better than before, says Allardyce
The Hammers chief thinks the former Real Madrid manager is even better than he was during his first stint at Stamford Bridge

279837_thumb.jpg

Scholes happy for retirement to 'fly under the radar'
The 38-year-old ended his Red Devils career for the second time on Sunday against West Brom and says he will not be tempted to return again

281154_thumb.jpg

No decision yet on Sagna future, says agent
The 30-year-old France international, who has a year left on his contract, is yet to be offered a new deal amid interest from Paris Saint-Germain

281792_thumb.jpg

Rodwell: City will be out to prove ourselves to new boss
The former Everton midfielder has recently made his comeback from injury and, after scoring twice against Norwich, cannot wait for the new season to start

281817_thumb.jpg

Torres: Chelsea have shown more character under Benitez
The Spain striker says the interim manager did his best to bring the club back from a difficult situation, and believes the team performed much better after he took over

279829_thumb.jpg

Ferdinand close to agreeing Man United contract extension
The 34-year-old's advisors have confirmed talks between the player and the club over a new contract are progressing as planned, with a deal hoping to be reached later this week

281451_thumb.jpg

Mourinho to be appointed Chelsea manager within next fortnight
Real Madrid have confirmed the 50-year-old will leave the Bernabeu at the end of the current season, paving the way for him to return to Stamford Bridge after a six-year absence

211734_thumb.jpg

Carrick: Manchester United will keep 'Fergie Time' alive under Moyes
The Red Devils midfielder is convinced his side will continue to show the will to win that typified the Premier League champions during Sir Alex Ferguson's reign at Old Trafford

280209_thumb.jpg

'I dream of captaining England' - Arsenal midfielder Wilshere
The 21-year-old says that even though some players are no longer bothered about international football, his ultimate ambition is to wear the armband for both club and country

274355_thumb.jpg

Manchester United will be fighting for trophies under Moyes, says Van Persie
After helping the club to their 20th league title, the Dutchman maintains the managerial transition will not have an impact in their pursuit of silverware next season

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

283310_thumb.jpg

Torres ready to be joined by more strikers at Chelsea
The Blues forward is unsurprised by the rumour mill kicking into gear and linking the club with "big players" but is happy with his own improvement and hopes to stay long-term

205218_thumb.jpg

Arsenal should not celebrate fourth place - Ljungberg
A final-day victory over Newcastle prompted scenes of elation among the Gunners but the Swede believes that only an end to the club's eight-year trophy drought is success

204438_thumb.jpg

Skrtel: I would consider a move away from Liverpool
The 28-year-old admits that, though he has yet to receive any offers from other clubs, he would think about leaving the club if Brendan Rodgers deems it necessary

280547_thumb.jpg

Aguero signs one-year Manchester City contract extension
The Argentine commits to a new deal, running until 2017, as the Premier League runners-up look to avoid interest from La Liga giants Real Madrid materialising this summer

146868_thumb.jpg

Arsenal legends Adams and Pires urge summer investment
After recovering to reach Champions League qualification this season, the former Gunners stars want Arsene Wenger to spend big on top-quality recruits to end their trophy drought

213321_thumb.jpg

Lescott confident Manchester City can improve after Mancini sacking
The England centre-back says that the players respect the club's decision to part ways with the Italian and are all focused on "improving every game" for the next manager

264187_thumb.jpg

Bryan Robson: I'm not convinced Rooney will leave Manchester United
The Old Trafford legend does not expect the England international to leave the club this summer and feels that new manager David Moyes has a good chance of a winning first season

258071_thumb.jpg

Cech aims to hold off Courtois to remain Chelsea No.1
The 31-year-old warns the Atletico Madrid loan star and Belgium international that he is not ready to relinquish his position as the Blues' first-choice goalkeeper

280789_thumb.jpg

Lampard backs Terry to stay at Chelsea
The Blues' midfielder believes the skipper will remain at the club, despite the defender's fitness having come into question following limited appearances under Rafa Benitez

279900_thumb.jpg

Lavezzi: Rooney would be great for Paris Saint-Germain
The striker says that the Ligue 1 champions would welcome the Manchester United forward to the team, believing that the Englishman would add further quality to the side

245375_thumb.jpg

Ba thriving on Torres battle: Competition brings out the best in me
The Senegalese forward believes that his first five months as a Chelsea player have been "not too bad", with the tussle for a first-team place with the Spaniard helping them both

278393_thumb.jpg

Moyes must win a trophy in his first season at Manchester United, warns Andy Cole
The club legend believes that Sir Alex Ferguson's successor must get his reign in charge at Old Trafford off to the right start by bringing even more silverware to the Red Devils

281684_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini arrival could prompt Tevez stay
The 59-year-old's appointment could see the Argentina international stay at Manchester City while Tottenham and Internacional will talk transfers at the Champions League final

215573_thumb.jpg

Cech: Benitez has left a mark on the history of Chelsea
The Blues goalkeeper says that Europa League triumph means the Spaniard will always be remembered at Stamford Bridge but is looking forward to Jose Mourinho's return

270568_thumb.jpg

'There is no reason to go' - Aguero pledges future to Manchester City
The Argentine says that he is very happy at the Etihad Stadium despite a disappointing season and Roberto Mancini's departure, and is also hopeful that Carlos Tevez will stay

230510_thumb.jpg

Chelsea lead chase to sign Arda Turan
The 26-year-old is thought to be the subject of serious interest from the Blues, having caught the eye of Galatasaray and Arsenal previously

280419_thumb.jpg

Mourinho should target Premier League glory at Chelsea - Ballack
The former Blues midfielder understands why his old boss would return to Stamford Bridge and feels that it is time to focus on domestic form after lifting both European trophies

279900_thumb.jpg

Gill expects Rooney to stay at Manchester United
The 27-year-old has handed in his second transfer request in three seasons and is desperate to leave Old Trafford, but the former club official does not expect the striker to go

278356_thumb.jpg

Sacking Mancini was a necessary 'excitement', insists Soriano
The Manchester City chief executive rejects suggestions that the Italian should have been kept for stability's sake and is optimistic about catching up commercially with United

256074_thumb.jpg

Ba: Players excited by Mourinho Chelsea return
The 27-year-old says that his team-mates are looking forward to the imminent homecoming of the Portuguese coach, describing him as "one of the best" in the world

276137_thumb.jpg

Benteke 'disgusted' by exit rumours - agent
The 22-year-old Belgian star has been linked with a move away but Eris Kismet denies that he will force a move, though admitting that European football may be hard to ignore

282071_thumb.jpg

Napoli chief: New coach is close
Club president Aurelio De Laurentiis says he is just waiting for the green light to appoint a replacement for Walter Mazzarri and Rafael Benitez is a candidate

278774_thumb.jpg

Manchester United staff 'uneasy' ahead of Moyes' arrival
Both the former Everton boss and his new club have been at pains to portray his reign as a continuation of Sir Alex Ferguson's work but the prospect of change remains worrying

275449_thumb.jpg

Manchester City rule out Aguero sale
Chief executive Ferran Soriano says the club would reject any offer for the Argentine striker, and revealed that the club are closing in on new signings

279829_thumb.jpg

Moyes 'delighted' with Ferdinand extension
The 34-year-old penned a new deal which will keep him at the club until 2014, and his new boss is pleased he has decided to remain at Old Trafford

160048_thumb.jpg

'We want to win five trophies in the next five years' - Manchester City demand instant success
The Italian boss was axed after a disappointing campaign, and chief executive Ferran Soriano is demanding better results from his replacement, expected to be Manuel Pellegrini

175647_thumb.jpg

Ranieri: Monaco want to become the new Chelsea
The Ligue 2 champions are full of ambition as they aim to emulate the English giants, while the Italian coach does not fear that he will lose his job any time soon

282854_thumb.jpg

Arsenal agree terms with Swansea City defender Williams
Arsene Wenger has prioritised a move for the 28-year-old as the Gunners look to tie up the deal that will cost the club between £8 million and £10m

259797_thumb.jpg

Ruthless Moyes fits the bill at Manchester United, says Fellaini
The Scot will officially depart Goodison Park to take charge of the champions on July 1 and the Toffees' midfielder believes his former manager will thrive

272114_thumb.jpg

Xavi urges Thiago to remain patient amid Manchester United interest
The young midfielder has been linked with a move to the Premier League champions, but his team-mate has advised him to stay at Camp Nou

275541_thumb.jpg

Debuchy has no regrets about joining Newcastle
The Frenchman says he is delighted he decided to join a challenging league and is driven by the challenge of improving a Magpies side that finished 16th this season

264161_thumb.jpg

Benteke hints at Aston Villa exit
The Belgian striker is currently on international duty after a fantastic debut season in the Premier League and has told his country's press that he may seek a move

239977_thumb.jpg

San Lorenzo confident of securing Coloccini transfer from Newcastle
After failing to agree a fee for the Magpies centre-back in January, the Argentine club's president is optimistic of tying up a deal to bring him home this summer

272176_thumb.jpg

Chelsea and Manchester City to commemorate Oklahoma tornado victims
The visiting Premier League clubs will use Thursday's end-of-season friendly in St Louis to help raise funds for the young people affected by Monday's natural disaster

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United earn record £60.8m TV revenue

By Chris Davie
May 22, 2013 12:31:00 AM

279862hp2.jpg

Third-placed Chelsea received £54.9m, less than both Arsenal and Tottenham as fewer of their games were televised, while QPR earned the lowest in the Premier League with £39.7m

Manchester United received £60.8 million in television revenue from the Premier League for the 2012-13 season.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side, who clinched their 20th league crown this term, earned the highest broadcast payment of any title-winning club in Premier League history.

MMAN UTD LATEST

Manchester City finished runners-up to United and earned £58.1m in television revenue, while third-placed Chelsea received £54.9m, less than Arsenal (£57.1m) and Tottenham (£55.8m) because fewer of their games were televised.

QPR received the lowest amount of all 20 Premier League sides as their earning totalled £39.7m.

As from next season, a new three-year broadcasting deal will see the Premier League winners receive a figure close to £100m, while the club who finishes bottom will earn more than United this term.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United staff 'uneasy' ahead of Moyes' arrival

May 24, 2013 2:27:00 PM

278774hp2.jpg

Both the former Everton boss and his new club have been at pains to portray his reign as a continuation of Sir Alex Ferguson's work but the prospect of change remains worrying

SPECIAL REPORT
By Liam Twomey

Rio Ferdinand might be enjoying his summer safe in the knowledge he has at least one more year at Old Trafford, but many others at Manchester United do not have the same luxury.

For the backroom staff at Carrington in particular, the mood in the camp as they await the imminent arrival of David Moyes is best described as one of unease, with the new manager widely expected in-house to reshuffle the coaching staff with a view to bringing in his own men.

TROUBLE AHEAD?

United could lose over 35 years' service
Mike Phelan - Twelve years' service
Eric Steele - five years' service
Rene Meulensteen - Eleven years' service
Warren Joyce - five years' service
Tony Strudwick - five years' service

And having visited Carrington less than 24 hours after the close of the 2012-13 season to personally introduce himself to everyone, from sports scientists to laundry ladies, Moyes is wasting little time in realising the current staff's worst fears.

Mike Phelan, Sir Alex Ferguson's right-hand man, has already gone. So too has goalkeeping coach Eric Steele. First-team coach Rene Meulensteen has been offered a reduced role, forcing him to consider his options – one of which is a return to the Netherlands.

It is precisely the cull Ferguson warned his staff of when he broke down announcing his retirement at Carrington. He knew big changes were afoot.

To replace them, United expect Moyes to bring in at least three new faces, although they have not discounted the possibility of many more.

Manchester United is not a club used to change. Of course, players and staff came and went over the past quarter of a century, but the overall picture was overseen and secured by the enduring figure of Ferguson. Now, while the future may be bright, for many it is also frighteningly uncertain.

Moyes was always likely to want to bring in his own men, but he is also taking steps to preserve United's culture of continuity.

Ferdinand's new contract represents just that ethos, while Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Phil Neville are all in contention for a place on his new-look backroom team. Alongside those United stalwarts, though, ex-Norwich and QPR goalkeeper Chris Woods has been lined up to replace Steele.

A mix of the old and the new that will fit many outsiders' expectations. The ease with which Moyes has discarded years of loyal service on the coaching staff at Old Trafford already, though, only serves to underline and explain why so many of the Carrington staff feel at risk of being replaced by outsiders.

Those with the biggest question marks hanging over them are Under-21 Premier League-winning boss Warren Joyce, and Tony Strudwick, United’s revered head of fitness and conditioning.

The man credited with helping Giggs become the club’s all-time leading appearance-maker, as well as getting Michael Carrick off the treatment table and back on the pitch, Strudwick is well-liked and immensely respected among the squad – so much so that their veneration for him was lampooned in the players' annual pantomime at a memorable Christmas party several years ago.

But while Moyes has moved quickly and impressively to tie down Ferdinand to a one-year extension which has required the 34-year-old to take a €47,000-a-week wage cut, he has been significantly less decisive when it comes to reassuring non-playing staff of their ongoing importance to the club.

And nor is the situation likely to improve anytime soon. The Scot is also currently mulling over the futures of unsettled squad members such as Nani and, of course, Wayne Rooney.

United, meanwhile, are preoccupied with finding a replacement for Martin Ferguson, Sir Alex's brother and the club's chief scout, who retires this summer. Their search will be exhaustive, and only candidates with a near-unrivalled knowledge of the European game will be considered.

Yet as the attentions of the new manager and the club’s hierarchy are diverted elsewhere, those who work tirelessly – and often anonymously – behind the scenes to maintain United's position of supremacy in English football will be left to wallow in uncertainty and fear.

Both Moyes and United have gone to great lengths to portray his reign as a continuation of Ferguson’s work. Recent events, however, underline that this will nonetheless be a time of great change at Old Trafford.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United sack Phelan and Steele

May 24, 2013 12:21:00 PM

274371hp2.jpg

The two staff members, who joined the Red Devils in 2008, will leave the club following the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson, with incoming boss David Moyes to bring in his own men

By Paul Clennam

Manchester United have sacked assistant manager Mike Phelan and goalkeeper coach Eric Steele.

Phelan replaced Carlos Quieroz as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant in 2008, and has helped the club secure three Premier League titles, two Capital One Cups and a Club World Cup in his time on the Old Trafford staff.

The 50-year-old made over 100 appearances for the Red Devils between 1989 and 1994, and also earned his one England cap while under Sir Alex's tutelage.

Steele has been working closely with David De Gea since the keeper's arrival from Atletico Madrid, and has been credited with playing a big part in the 22-year-old's development and upturn in form during the 2012-13.

The former Manchester City and Blackburn coach had learned Spanish to better communicate with De Gea in training, and was in charge of an intense programme to bulk up the young shot-stopper.

Sir Alex made clear that he could not guarantee any member of staff a future at United when he announced his decision to leave the club at the beginning of May.

David Moyes, who has begun work at Carrington ahead of his official start date on July 1, will bring in his own men for certain positions, with members of his backroom staff at Everton expecting to join him in Manchester.

But Moyes has retained United's interest in Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara, although the Premier League champions face competition from Manchester City.

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Everton fans hit out over new club crest after Latin motto removed

PUBLISHED: 00:53 GMT, 26 May 2013 | UPDATED: 00:53 GMT, 26 May 2013

article-0-1A006EA2000005DC-204_306x318.jpg

Controversy: New Everton badge

Everton were facing a rebellion from within their own support after revealing a new club crest.The new design does not feature Everton's motto 'nil satis nisi optimum' - meaning 'Nothing but the best is good enough' - as it has since 1991.The club said the updated version - a 'next evolution' - formed 'a concise, modern and dynamic representation of Everton", and was produced after consulation with various stakeholders, including fans.However an online petition on the change.org website was started after its unveiling this afternoon, and it swiftly garnered more than 6,000 signatures, while the new crest drew a largely negative reaction on social media.The 2013 re-design retains familiar components of the familiar club crest, including the tower, and is contained in the traditional shield.

The predominant colour is a sharper blue than featured on the recent crest, with the outline of the shield remaining yellow.
Everton explained the basis for making the change on their website, stating: 'The previous version of the crest - created 13 years ago - was often misrepresented, suffering regularly from the omission of key elements like our name and our year of formation.'As technology marches on, those challenges have increased. On television, on websites, on mobile devices, the crest was far too often badly reproduced.'Our team carries a responsibility to maintain a refreshed and relevant identity for the club. We recognised the need to do this with diligence and sensitivity - with one eye on the past but also one eye on the future.'We researched our history, we reviewed the evolution of our crest and we benchmarked against other major sporting brands.

article-0-19E03612000005DC-883_634x431.jpg

All change: Everton have changed club badge

'Created following an extensive consultation process with fans, supporters' groups and branding experts, our new club crest combines four historic elements of the outgoing crest - the tower, the shield, our name and the year of our formation - to form a concise, modern and dynamic representation of Everton.'The club added: 'The name Everton and the 1878 date have been incorporated into the shield which does not feature the Latin motto.'Although 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' is not included in this new design, it will still have a high-profile presence throughout the club, and a new range of retail products are being introduced.'

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rafa set to seal Napoli deal as Chelsea obligations come to an end

By ROB DRAPER PUBLISHED: 20:10 GMT, 25 May 2013 | UPDATED: 20:10 GMT, 25 May 2013

Rafa Benitez is expected to finalise a two-year deal with Napoli this weekend as the Chelsea interim manager fulfils his final duties at the Premier League club.Benitez still has to meet Paris St-Germain officials this week before deciding which club he will manage next season.But Champions League qualifiers Napoli, who prematurely announced a deal with the Chelsea interim manager last week, are favourites to get him because of the determination of president Aurelio de Laurentiis.

article-2330446-19EB76E1000005DC-183_634x416.jpg

Italian job: Rafael Benitez is poised to take over at Napoli

article-2330946-19FE8171000005DC-610_634x423.jpg

Bizarre: Benitez and his set-to-be colleagues have been recreated in miniature

Funds raised by the £60million sale of striker Edinson Cavani, who is likely to join Real Madrid, will be reinvested in a Napoli side that finished second in Serie A last season. They will look to win their first Scudetto since the Diego Maradona era in 1987 and 1990. Last season’s manager, Walter Mazzarri, resigned this month to move to Inter. Paris St-Germain are trying to stop Carlo Ancelotti leaving for Real Madrid, so a quick decision from them on Benitez is unlikely.

article-2330446-19E03EC4000005DC-16_634x415.jpg

New job: Benitez's time at Chelsea has been difficult and fractious

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pellegrini refuses to discuss City move as Malaga boss focuses on penultimate game

By PAUL COLLINS PUBLISHED: 09:20 GMT, 26 May 2013 | UPDATED: 09:20 GMT, 26 May 2013

Manuel Pellegrini, the favourite to succeed Roberto Mancini as manager of Manchester City, has refused to talk about a move to the Etihad Stadium.The Malaga coach, who has already confirmed he will be leaving the Primera Division side after next weekend's final game of the season, is focused on Sunday's penultimate match with Deportivo La Coruna and helping Malaga qualify for Europe. The Chilean has refused to talk about a move to manage City at the end of the Spanish sea.

article-2331131-19FD9461000005DC-31_634x423.jpg

Denial: Manuel Pellergini has yet to confirm his move to Manchester City

'Once we have played Deportivo we will see about my future and where I am going. I haven't signed any contract yet.'Once I have finished here in Malaga - Malaga have qualified for Europe - and completed the match we will see where my future lies.'But now I will only discuss my present position with Malaga.'

article-2331131-1A0037DD000005DC-845_634x385.jpg

Winning feeling: City celebrate beating Chelsea for the second time in a week in America

City have just completed a two-game post-season tour in the United States where they twice beat Chelsea. City midfielder Gareth Barry is aware of Pellegrini's pedigree. He told Sky Sports News: 'I don't know too much about him but people who do know him and who have played with him have spoken highly of him so that's good.'

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

283538_thumb.jpg

Aulas warns Arsenal that Grenier will cost the same as Gotze
The Frenchman has enjoyed a fine season at Olympique Lyonnais and his performances have attracted the attention of Gunners boss Arsene Wenger

211554_thumb.jpg

Manchester City is an option, reveals Pellegrini
The Chilean has already revealed that he will leave current club Malaga at the end of the season and has now spoken of his potential move to England for the first time

207066_thumb.jpg

Zola: I met Guardiola for management advice
The Hornets boss has talked about how he met with the 42-year-old along with ex-Roma coach Zdenek Zeman after being dismissed by West Ham

194349_thumb.jpg

England are better than a quarter-final team, says Glen Johnson
The full-back believes that the Three Lions have got the squad to improve on recent performances at World Cup 2014, but admitted they will need luck

280524_thumb.jpg

Podolski 'completely satisfied' at Arsenal
The Germany international has dismissed rumours linking him with a move away from the north London club, with Galatasaray also rumoured to be interested in his signature

282073_thumb.jpg

Benitez to take 'a lot of positives' from Chelsea reign
The Spanish manager insists he will have good memories of his time at Stamford Bridge after winning the Europa League despite his unpopularity among the club's supporters

119307_thumb.jpg

Robert Mugabe labels Suarez 'highly unprofessional' after Ivanovic bite
The president of Zimbabwe says football is not like war and had some strong words for the Uruguayan after the controversial incident during Liverpool's match against Chelsea

282073_thumb.jpg

David Luiz hails 'fantastic' Benitez after final match
The Brazil international has hailed the outgoing interim boss as 'amazing' for his ability to work through adversity after he sealed the Europa League title and third place

244331_thumb.jpg

Barry: Manchester City will come back fighting under new boss
The England international says the club will go into next season stronger after the disappointment of failing to live up to expectations during the 2012-13 campaign

179484_thumb.jpg

Sidelined Malouda 'cannot wait' to leave Chelsea
The Blues midfielder is out of contract next month and will leave Stamford Bridge after failing to make a single first-team appearance during the 2012-13 season

262338_thumb.jpg

Zaha 'on the verge of something big', says Hodgson
The England boss, who gave the Old Trafford-bound forward his first international cap in November, expects the youngster to get and take his chances with the Red Devils

272105_thumb.jpg

Kompany has 'unfinished business' at Man City
The Belgium international insists that he is "going nowhere" as he prepares to mount a renewed assault on the Premier League title following Manchester United's triumph

271767_thumb.jpg

Jose Enrique: Liverpool must aim for top four next season
The Spanish left-back rues mistakes early in the 2012-13 campaign that stranded the Reds in seventh place but believes they are developing towards a Champions League push

228240_thumb.jpg

Gerrard could play Pirlo role for England, says Jagielka
The Everton centre-back is expecting competition for places in Roy Hodgson's side ahead of World Cup 2014 and believes that only the captain's spot in the team is secure

281960_thumb.jpg

Wenger confirms Arsenal interest in Lyon star Grenier
The Gunners boss reveals that he is "following" the France Under-21s international midfielder, comparing him to former charge Samir Nasri, now of Manchester City

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Now Monaco target Chelsea's Euro hero Ivanovic after failing to land Kompany... but Jose says 'No way' to any deal

By SIMON JONES
PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 26 May 2013 | UPDATED: 21:30 GMT, 26 May 2013

Branislav Ivanovic is wanted by Monaco after they were rebuffed in a bid to lure Vincent Kompany from Manchester City. The 29-year-old Chelsea defender has been recommended by coach Claudio Ranieri to Russian owner Dmitry Rybolovlev as the newly-promoted French side undertake an ambitious summer recruiting programme.

article-2331316-19F7DF4D000005DC-63_634x488.jpg

Is Blue his colour? Branislav Ivanovic is the latest big name player targeted by big spending Monaco

article-2331316-19F04CFF000005DC-631_634x381.jpg

They have had a £51.3m offer accepted for Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao who is set for a medical today, and that follows Friday's £60m deal for Porto's Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez.Monaco are ready to offer around £25m for Ivanovic, who scored the winning goal in the Europa League final, but the Serbian is also wanted by incoming Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

article-2331316-1A007168000005DC-879_634x421.jpg

Splurge: Monaco have tried and failed to sign Vincent Kompany, while moves for James Rodriguez (left), Joao Moutinho (centre) and Radamel Falcao have proved to be much more successful for the newly-promoted French side

article-2331316-19FB499C000005DC-45_196x440.jpg
article-2331316-19FB4968000005DC-569_196x440.jpg
article-2331316-19F02CAA000005DC-749_196x440.jpg

The 'Special One' tried to sign Ivanovic last summer for Real Madrid only for Chelsea to increase their asking price, and he will want the Serb to be part of his squad for next season. Although he would like to add Real Madrid's Raphael Varane, the defender Mourinho may be more likely to sacrifice is David Luiz who is continuing to attract attention from Barcelona. Monaco are also keen on Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa.

article-2331316-1A0394E3000005DC-75_634x349.jpg

Taking shape: Jose Mourinho, who is set to take over at Chelsea this summer, wants to keep Ivanovic

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger ready to bid £8m for the 'new Nasri' after admitting interest in Grenier

By SIMON JONES PUBLISHED: 21:30 GMT, 26 May 2013 | UPDATED: 21:30 GMT, 26 May 2013

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed interest in Lyon midfielder Clement Grenier. The 22-year-old has been likened to Samir Nasri in his style, and is rated at around £8million by his club.
Grenier, who scored on Sunday night against Rennes in front of Gunners scouts, came close to quitting the Stade Gerland last summer.

article-0-1A043BA7000005DC-380_634x389.jpg

French fancy: Lyon midfielder Clement Grenier, who scored against Rennes on Sunday, is wanted by Arsenal

However, he seized on injuries to key man - including former Gunners target Yoann Gourcuff - to make 27 appearances, notching seven goals and providing eight assists. And now the France Under 21 international could be set to earn a move to the Premier League. Wenger told French programme Telefoot: 'We are following him. His intelligence of play pleases me. He has interesting qualities. He reminds me of Nasri.'