• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

50% Singaporean may migrate overseas

fwchong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The editor phrase that Singaporean wont migrate but the title tell us that us 50% may migrate...it is how you tell the sotry if the water in the glass if half empty or half full...

One in two young Singaporeans strongly rooted, says survey

SINGAPORE: One in two young Singaporeans have little intention of moving overseas. They are rooted by strong family ties, national pride, and have confidence in the country's economic future.

This finding emerged from a study conducted by the Institute of Policy Studies, involving more more than 2,013 Singaporeans between 19 and 30 years old.

The respondents were interviewed in door-to-door surveys over three months, from December 2009 to March 2010.

Friends, family and home ownership are the main reasons identified by young Singaporeans when asked what keeps them rooted to the country.

The respondents were asked to pick the reasons from 26 items such as quality of life, finance and career, social bonding and well-being and socio-political considerations.

When Channel NewsAsia took to the streets, many cited similar considerations.

"I don't think I'm moving out of Singapore because of friends and family here," said a young Singaporean.

"Singapore is a good to live in, with a lot of opportunities to excel in life...there's (also) no natural disaster in Singapore, like what happened to Japan," said another.

But others felt emigration represented a better life, citing Singapore's high cost of living and hectic lifestyle as possible reasons for migrating.

The Institute of Policy Studies' survey found that young Singaporeans fell into four broad categories. There is the "Heartland Stayer" - unlikely to emigrate and has strong ties and national pride. Similarly, the "Cosmopolitan Stayer" has low intention of leaving and is rooted in Singapore. However, this group views emigration favourably and has the ability to leave.

There is also the "Explorer" group - the one most likely to emigrate. They have strong family ties but doesn't feel connected to Singapore. And then there is the "Disengaged" have the weakest family bonds and lowest national pride. They also have no strong opinion on emigration, and have a lower ability to migrate.

The Institute of Policy Studies said the survey findings showed that young Singaporeans are not a homogenous group and a one-size-fits-all policy will not work. This makes it challenging for policymakers to engage them on the issue of rootedness as different factors appeal to different segments. But one area that can be looked into is the issue of work-life balance, which emerged as an important anchor.

Dr Leong Chan Hoong, lead researcher and research fellow with the Institute of Policy Studies, said: "They find that this work-life balance is lacking in Singapore. As a result, some of them consider migrating abroad to achieve that. So it is important for policymakers to pay attention to this area and more importantly, to see whether that attitude, that perception changes over time."

The institute hopes to conduct another survey in two to three years.

-CNA/ac

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The editor phrase that Singaporean wont migrate but the title tell us that us 50% may migrate...it is how you tell the sotry if the water in the glass if half empty or half full...

One in two young Singaporeans strongly rooted, says survey

SINGAPORE: One in two young Singaporeans have little intention of moving overseas. They are rooted by strong family ties, national pride, and have confidence in the country's economic future.

This finding emerged from a study conducted by the Institute of Policy Studies, involving more more than 2,013 Singaporeans between 19 and 30 years old.

The respondents were interviewed in door-to-door surveys over three months, from December 2009 to March 2010.

Friends, family and home ownership are the main reasons identified by young Singaporeans when asked what keeps them rooted to the country.

The respondents were asked to pick the reasons from 26 items such as quality of life, finance and career, social bonding and well-being and socio-political considerations.

When Channel NewsAsia took to the streets, many cited similar considerations.

-CNA/ac

Once overseas, the idea of migration may take on new meaning.

There is no reason why I need to stay rooted in one country because of roots. Facebook, Skype, etc are how we keep in contact with friends.

Like me, living in the most isolated city in the world, through social neetworking, I got to know this American who build his own hut in the CA forest. (He lost everything in the financial crisis and retreat to the forests - he is not the only one) Computer technology these days will bridge distance. Globalisation is changing the workplace. More countries are opening up to foreigners, including Singapore. Inter-culture marriages also more popular.

Last edited:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans will seldom make successful migrants. Many of the men still need their mothers' instructions while the girls expects nothing less than two butlers at her service.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporeans will seldom make successful migrants. Many of the men still need their mothers' instructions while the girls expects nothing less than two butlers at her service.

Yes.
It is really difficult to cope without maids. That is where the church comes in - willing babysitters.

But having a lived-in maid is not a solution. It is not too long ago when we can live on single income and a full-time housewife.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes.
It is really difficult to cope without maids. That is where the church comes in - willing babysitters.

But having a lived-in maid is not a solution. It is not too long ago when we can live on single income and a full-time housewife.

The key point when migrating is to start learning how to be independent and self-sufficient. Many Singaporeans still have the "I am not cleaning the mess up because Maria did it for me back home." Few are successful as a result and ends up running back home to SG after finding out that they have to start working, being responsible and account for finances. Many still view Australia as " I can buy big car, big house and big swimming pool.". It is possible but only if one starts to work hard.

No to the church, I have no love for them. :cool:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Many Singaporeans will talk big about migrating.

Like it is an easy thing to do.

I gather many of them think this way because the foreigners who migrate to Singapore seem to have it so easy. So they think when they migrate it will just be like that too.

50% of young Singaporeans want to migrate eh? Well that's a lot of young people.

How many will actually do it? 1 out of 2? Gotta be kidding.

Singapore has a smart way of tying down these young people early.

The well qualified ones who are professionals will be put into career tracks. After a couple of years they will have too much to give up and sacrifice just to start all over again in a new country.

The less qualified ones are made to feel poorly about themselves, inadequate and inferior and will hardly find out more about how to migrate thinking that no country will want them.

Clever.

AhBeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am one of the Singaporeans who predicted the future (i.e. which is the present) to have Indians and China flocking Singapore, since Singapore has to compete the cheap labour.........30 years ago It came true.

Migrated after working in Singapore for 5 years after graduation........just had to do it .....and have no regreat to have done it today.

Became a millionaire at 35 and continue working hard....and today our family have three different companies. Therefore, no regrets. There are other Singaporeans who are still consider themselves failures even being in a new country and live month to month. It all depends what you want in life and what you are willing to sacrifice to get what you want. All my friends in Singapore wonder how I did what I did ........and frankly speaking...I myself don't know how I did it. Maybe I was young and ambitious and detrmined......... rejected by grassroots to progress(aimig for MP) and not accepted by OCS!............I guess Singapore was wrong about me.

If I was asked to do it today....no way...I have no energy today....almost 55....hope to retire at 60.......and enjoy the fruits.

Kids are in University, and hopefully they take over the companies and I like to relax and enjoy the weather and time to myself.

Nevertheless, I will recommend the young and vibrant to migrate soon, who have the energy to migrate......and adventure.

Last edited:

fwchong

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are less Singaporean migrating compare to Chinese Malaysian, Indians or China nationalities (Rich ones) as Singaporean are too pamper by our PAP who take care of everything in their live and when they travel overseas, they cannot tahan the slow system overseas countries have...

I gather many of them think this way because the foreigners who migrate to Singapore seem to have it so easy. So they think when they migrate it will just be like that too.

50% of young Singaporeans want to migrate eh? Well that's a lot of young people.

The well qualified ones who are professionals will be put into career tracks. After a couple of years they will have too much to give up and sacrifice just to start all over again in a new country.

The less qualified ones are made to feel poorly about themselves, inadequate and inferior and will hardly find out more about how to migrate thinking that no country will want them.

Clever.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Spot on ! My wifey took 4 yrs to adapt to the new world, such as the ability to push the wheelie bin to the footpath.. but she has yet to master the art of gardening :( I need to give her another 10yrs for that !

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
"cannot tahan the slow system in other countries"?

No lah.

Otherwise how come so many people like to travel? NATAS fair is huge you know.

What slow system you talking about?

Slow system is actually good when you are working in it. Not so stressful.

It is just another Singapore myth and propaganda that everything must be done faster (also better cheaper safer).

It is not necessarily better to do things so fast all the time.

Different countries are different lah.

If Singaporeans are looking to migrate and want everything Singapore has but only better then they are sadly mistaken.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans are lousy migrants. They expect their new host nation to be a "mini Singapore" when they migrate there. Then, they found out that it is not like Singapore and move back.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read Lee Cheong Wing's open letter to MR Goh. How many can tahan gardening, picking own's fruit and veggies or catch your own fish and crabs??? Tha's going back to the future, you know back to kampong's life. Clean your own house?? Too demeaning for today's generation who frew up with maids.
You can google's Lee's letter(got pictures today)

Singaporeans are lousy migrants. They expect their new host nation to be a "mini Singapore" when they migrate there. Then, they found out that it is not like Singapore and move back.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Read Lee Cheong Wing's open letter to MR Goh. How many can tahan gardening, picking own's fruit and veggies or catch your own fish and crabs??? Tha's going back to the future, you know back to kampong's life. Clean your own house?? Too demeaning for today's generation who frew up with maids.

This guy really know how to enjoy life.
https://picasaweb.google.com/retiredwing/SecheltSunshineCoastHome2010#

DSC01155.JPG

His tomatoes look nice. It is amazing how easy it is to grow them, I do not even need good soil, I just don't mulch the soil to keep the soil warm. Tomatoes love warm soil.

Somehow, it is a lot more satisfying to grow and eat your own corp. They grow very fast. I can pick the best & give away the rest to the local asian grocery shop to sell. Eg I pruned my curry leaves last week.

I do not feel the pinch of throwing away food because they end up in the compost for the next crop :biggrin:

I believe that when Lee Cheong Wing visit Singapore supermarkets, he will be disappointed with the imported veggies there. At least Hong Kong still have domestic veggie farms, even organic ones.

DSC09796.JPG

This Honda Civic is an excellent cheap to run car. My partner is driving a 1.8l 92 octane petrol version. It drives well in freeways, even with auto trans. It has full-sized spare. No vanity mirrors on the visors. The only issue is the stiff suspension and the thin metal on the bonnet and top (have to be careful when waxing).
AUD$26,000 (Auto, 2011 Limited Edition - with 6-airbags, reverse sensor, bluetooth, fog lights, chrome and alloy wheels)

Last edited:

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singaporeans expect Singapore when they migrate over. That is already the first self-created obstacle.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

you can always call for cleaners to do the job. min wage is $15/hr and you can deduct it off as office expense.
oi, use abit of your blain leh. dont die die sit there and wait for the fruit to fall from the tree.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
really? i avoid talking to my mother as much as possible. she drives me nuts. you guys must love chiou chee bye a lot more than i do.

shawna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed on your post. But, migrating is not an option out. When you are young, move to a new country. I won't call it migrate. But when you hit mid 30s, stay in your own country. Routine, friends and family make us happy. So we should never thinking of relocating to another country.

Clever.