• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

3RD week as a new migrant in the outback

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Make the most of it. Enjoy the wide open space and the new culture. Know that people will give an arm and a leg to migrate.

One possibility is to use the 36 mths as target and undertake a course or some some sort of training. Goes a long way when you have a OZ cert. Many of the
tafe courses are really cheap and some training are free.

Use the Mac experience to learn about running a business, staff payroll and practices, procurement etc.

Not by choice,PR given by sponsor scheme.My wife need to work for this company in Emerald for the next 36 mths(torture).Nearest civilization is 3hrs drive to Rockhampton(still redneck country).Now just have to endure for the next 3yrs..sigh.:(

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not by choice,PR given by sponsor scheme.My wife need to work for this company in Emerald for the next 36 mths(torture).Nearest civilization is 3hrs drive to Rockhampton(still redneck country).Now just have to endure for the next 3yrs..sigh.:(

wow thats super red neck....prob cldnt get any cheap asian groceries and food as well

vassily

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions,will try the Mac thingy and see how it goes. Just came back from gold coast,drove 10 hrs /1000Km each way. Feel more at home when in gold coast,met a sinkie running a "new zealand "food stall and he told me that his income is enough to let him semi retire.(stall only open for bussiness on weekend in broadbeach area)Wanna sell me the business for $1mil:confused: Just rec'd reply from 3 job application,all rejections:mad:

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions,will try the Mac thingy and see how it goes. Just came back from gold coast,drove 10 hrs /1000Km each way. Feel more at home when in gold coast,met a sinkie running a "new zealand "food stall and he told me that his income is enough to let him semi retire.(stall only open for bussiness on weekend in broadbeach area)Wanna sell me the business for $1mil:confused: Just rec'd reply from 3 job application,all rejections:mad:

Keep trying.
May I suggest that you consider and evaluate thoroughly before buying a business, whether for $100,000 or $1 million.
If you do not get any job, take the McDonald's for $18 per hour.
Meet and talk to the customers, etc., that you are seeking work.
Continue to learn the local and Australian procedures and system.
With time, perseverance, and hard work, as well as a little luck, you will make it.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

never go for those franchise business unless u are really sure about it. 95% of the franchise business are so simple and basic, u can replicate it easily. another thing about your faithful event meeting some of these sinkie, yes, they will rip you off, taking the advantages that u are new to this foreign land. One of my ex-church friend was ripped off; first on a snack bar business and then followed by this aroma therapy.

So do your homework well!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
T Feel more at home when in gold coast,met a sinkie running a "new zealand "food stall and he told me that his income is enough to let him semi retire.(stall only open for bussiness on weekend in broadbeach area)Wanna sell me the business for $1mil:confused:

What on earth is "New Zealand" food??? Never heard of it and I've lived in the country for years.:rolleyes:

Small food stalls typically go for $15,000 to $60,000. If you have a million bucks lying around, I suggest you simply put it in risk free term deposit and earn yourself $50,000 per annum before taxes. In fact, if you put it in the right place, you don't even need to pay taxes.:wink:

vassily

Alfrescian
Loyal
no way i'll invest on something like that,but was surprise at the affection shown by the owner.He even say that others offer him 750k but he refused but will take my offer if i'm willing to.Anyway, don't even have 10k in my account:p
Any one staying in Sydney,mass nudist having their photos taken..can only happen in your dreams if your in the good old Sinkapore:rolleyes:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
What on earth is "New Zealand" food??? Never heard of it and I've lived in the country for years.:rolleyes:

Small food stalls typically go for $15,000 to $60,000. If you have a million bucks lying around, I suggest you simply put it in risk free term deposit and earn yourself $50,000 per annum before taxes. In fact, if you put it in the right place, you don't even need to pay taxes.:wink:

should be New Zealand Ice Cream. Given it's at Surfer's Paradise, won't be surprised if it's raking in at least 30-40K per week

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fishbuff is right. I heard of too many cases where the franchisees are very nice to new migrants in order to sell their business including those not a franchise but a losing business or does not make enough.

One of the easiest to set up is a takeaway with a small kitchen. Only operate in the night for dinner. Low cost and less than $4K to set up. In small towns there are quite a number places to take up. Will kill the boredom and make some money.

no way i'll invest on something like that,but was surprise at the affection shown by the owner.He even say that others offer him 750k but he refused but will take my offer if i'm willing to.Anyway, don't even have 10k in my account:p

vassily

Alfrescian
Loyal
should be New Zealand Ice Cream. Given it's at Surfer's Paradise, won't be surprised if it's raking in at least 30-40K per week

its a stall in Broadbeach carrera market selling New zealand fare.only opens on sat n sunday.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

I'm not familiar with the economics of the location but unless the business owns the stall or has secured a long lease, I have difficulty understanding how it could be worth anything close to a million bucks unless the profit margins are through the roof and competition is restricted.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
they serve a nice maori boil up, with fried bread.First time eating that,and i like it.But i think 1mil is ridiculous.

Hungi! Yucks. One time was enough for me. You don't find much of that stuff in NZ. :p

Snooze

Alfrescian
Loyal
its a stall in Broadbeach carrera market selling New zealand fare.only opens on sat n sunday.

Is that gentleman a big size fellow, ex-SG who marries a kiwi? My missus happened to patronise his stall some time ago.

If i have a million bucks, i rather franchise "krispy kreme", looking at the queues.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The $1 million or even his discounted $750K offer is really odd for a foodstall that is not a franchise. More than $50K WIWO is already suspect. As he operates on weekends, the sales figures would be interesting.

Is that gentleman a big size fellow, ex-SG who marries a kiwi? My missus happened to patronise his stall some time ago.

If i have a million bucks, i rather franchise "krispy kreme", looking at the queues.

vassily

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yeah that's the one,overall the chap is nice and friendly cept' the 1mil price tag on the stall.:eek:

By the way,i would like to learn from the others that has been in OZ or Kiwiland on their experience when they first arrived and how they got their first job.The kind of problems they faced and how they are doing now.I guess this would help me and the others that just arrived. As i don't have a tertiary education, i can only settle for the entry level jobs in a rural town and that's tough.Thanks in advance for the helpful reply so far.:smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is another thread in the emigration folder that talks about finding jobs in Australia. Its been a while since its been updated, I suppose you can take a look there 1st. I don't know much about job hunting in the rural area so won't comment on it. But in general, I believe in this country, as long as you have the "right" attitude it shouldn't be a problem. There are many cases of people that have migrated to this country with no education, can't speak a single word of English that has made it. You don't have to be an "elite" or knows the MIWs in order to survive and live comfortably in this country.

Yeah that's the one,overall the chap is nice and friendly cept' the 1mil price tag on the stall.:eek:

By the way,i would like to learn from the others that has been in OZ or Kiwiland on their experience when they first arrived and how they got their first job.The kind of problems they faced and how they are doing now.I guess this would help me and the others that just arrived. As i don't have a tertiary education, i can only settle for the entry level jobs in a rural town and that's tough.Thanks in advance for the helpful reply so far.:smile: