• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sorry, I'm from China. I cant understand Engrish!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Sorry, no English

Service staff from China have been the target of complaints for their poor command of English. The Sunday Times spoke to 15 and found that most had basic training in English before coming here. But they have problems understanding the way Singaporeans speak English. Some are taking language courses to brush up on their fluency.
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD>
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Author --></TD></TR><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
a11-1.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Zheng Mei Ling, who bought an electronic English-Chinese dictionary before she came to Singapore almost two years ago. The high school graduate has picked up work-related phrases from her colleagues at the Cocoa Trees, where she is a sales assistant. She also reads English books to improve her language proficiency. -- ST PHOTOS: TERENCE TAN
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>
viewMorePhotos.gif
View more photos

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->These days, Ms Amber Yu wins praises from customers at the cafe she works at for her bubbly small talk with them.
It is a far cry from 1-1/2 years ago when the Fujian native first came to Singapore to find work here.
Although she had learnt basic English in high school, it was so poor even numbers tripped her up.
'Once, another staff member told me to take an order to table 12. It took me some time to figure out if she meant '12' or '13'. I felt so miserable,' she recalled in Mandarin.
Another time, she was chided by a customer when she could not catch her order.
'I said, 'Sorry, I'm from China. I can't understand you'. She was annoyed and said, 'How come you China people can't speak English?''
Ms Yu, 21, took these setbacks positively. She enrolled in a three-month English training course paid for by her company. She has even picked up a Singaporean accent.
'Now, some customers ask me if I'm a Filipina. I ask them, 'Do I look like one?'' she said with a laugh.
Service staff from China have been the target of complaints since rules were relaxed to allow them to work in the industry two years ago.
As of December last year, some 508,000 foreigners worked in the two-million-strong service sector.
It is not known how many are from China. But readers have written to The Straits Times Forum page, pointing out the China service staff's poor English and the misunderstandings, delays and frayed tempers that resulted.
So strong is the frustration that more than 10,000 people joined an online group called 'I am Singaporean and tired of service staff who can speak only Mandarin' on popular social networking site Facebook.
It was started last August by undergraduate Kavita Devi Thamilselvam, 23.
The sentiment, from people The Sunday Times spoke to, was that service staff must have a working grasp of English as it is the lingua franca of multiracial Singapore.
After all, non-Chinese here mostly do not speak Mandarin.
Ms Salfariza Nazarudin, 28, an administrator, said shopping is becoming a frustrating affair for her. Case in point: She was at a supermarket last year when she approached a China service staff member to help her look for whipped cream.
'He gave me a blank look, then mumbled in Mandarin... In the end, he asked a colleague to help me,' she said.
Ms Sophia Siew, 25, who is currently unemployed, had a similar encounter at a shoe shop.
She said: 'I have no issues about foreigners coming here to seek a better life, but it makes no sense that service staff can't speak English. This becomes a hindrance.'
The 15 China service staff whom The Sunday Times spoke to were aware of such a sentiment. They agreed that service staff here should know how to speak English, but asked to be cut some slack.
Most said they do try to use English at work even though their command of the language is shaky.
Chengdu native Jin Xiao, who works as a service coordinator at an air-conditioning firm, said in Mandarin: 'Knowing how to speak English is necessary here. Many people here can speak Mandarin but we need to speak English if we want to raise service standards.'
The 26-year-old is a finance graduate and studied in an English-language institute in China for two years. Still, she could not get used to the accent here initially.
'The way Singaporeans speak English...there's a Hokkien accent here. It's very different from the English pronunciations that we were taught,' Ms Jin, who has been here for five months, said in Mandarin. She is doing a telephone conversation course at the Institute of Technical Education's Bishan campus.
She still occasionally finds it hard to find the right English words to express herself.
'I then ask the customer if it's okay for me to use Mandarin. Most of the time, they are fine with that,' she said.
All the service staff interviewed said they had learnt basic English in school in China. Most have at least secondary-level education. A few have university degrees.
But all said their foundation is weak because they started to learn English, which in any case was not their core language, only from secondary school onwards.
Some also pointed out that they learnt American English back home, and said that the sentence structure of Singapore English is unfamiliar to them.
Sichuan native Belle Hwang, a 21-year-old sales promoter at a pharmacy, said in Mandarin: 'In China, the stress is mainly on written, not spoken, English. So even though we do well in tests, we cannot understand or speak English as well as Singaporeans.'
Fellow Sichuan native Vicky Liao, 23, a service coordinator, said China nationals are sometimes embarrassed to speak English because of their poor pronunciation. She said customers have complained that they are unable to understand her accent.
To improve their language proficiency, some said they would read books or watch English-language television shows with Chinese subtitles.
Others like Ms Hwang carry an electronic dictionary with them to translate words and phrases from English to Mandarin.
'I must keep learning because customers will ask questions not related to my work, and if I have to make them repeat themselves, they may get annoyed,' she said.
For some, however, work simply takes up too much of their time and learning English has to take a back seat.
Jiangsu native Bao Jiakui, 40, who works at a dessert kiosk in Bishan, said she does not even have enough time to rest after her 12-hour shift.
'I want to learn but who will give me the time to do that?' Sighing, she added: 'I should have put in more effort to learn English in school.'
But some felt the language issue is not as big as it has been made out to be.
Sales assistant Qiao Ying, 30, who mans a jewellery pushcart in Bugis Junction, said more than 90 per cent of her customers would converse with her in Mandarin.
She has to speak English only when serving non-Chinese customers or foreigners.
'Chinese Singaporeans will naturally speak to me in Mandarin. They can probably tell that I'm from China. If it's a Malay or Indian customer, I just let them choose the jewellery on their own.'
She added that Singapore is not a conducive environment for China nationals to learn English as 'many people speak Mandarin too'.
Indeed, outside of work, many China nationals can get by with using Mandarin in the heartland.
Most felt saddened by the brickbats they received from critical locals, and some said they sense that Singaporeans do not welcome them.
Ms Wang Cuixia, 30, who works in a snack kiosk in Bugis Junction, said she has met Singaporeans who would glare at her when she bumped into them on an MRT train. 'They will give me a look even though I've said sorry to them.'
Given time, the China nationals say they can lick the language problem.
Ms Qiao added: 'You can speak English and we can speak Mandarin. Rather than criticise us, why don't we learn from each other?'

[email protected]

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtablealt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-29 8:43 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (2 of 22) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>20062.2 in reply to 20062.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=330 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>
a11-2.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="26%">
« Prev

</TD><TD class=georgia12 width="40%" align=middle>Photo 2 of 3
</TD><TD width="34%" align=right>
Next »​

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD class=georgia12 align=middle>View all thumbnails
</TD><TD align=right> </TD></TR><TR></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>Lack oral fluency
'In China, we do well in exams but our listening and conversational skills may not be that good.'
MS XIE MALI, a Chengdu native who works in Mini Toons here

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Getting used to the local accent
She has a business degree and studied English back in China, but Ms Xie Mali was unprepared for the culture shock she experienced when she arrived here three months ago.
The 26-year-old Chengdu native, who works for Mini Toons, a gift chain, said: 'It was hard to understand the English here. It's mixed with a bit of Malay and the sentence structure is different from what I was taught.'
But her grounding in English helped, and she quickly got used to the local accent.
'My listening skills definitely improved. In China, we do well in exams but our listening and conversational skills may not be that good.'
Mini Toons has 25 China service staff working at its 23 outlets in Singapore. Ms Xie mans the Mini Bits outlet at Changi Airport Terminal 2.
The company provides in-house training for staff and enrols them for external courses to improve their English language proficiency.
Ms Xie makes it a point to use English when serving customers.
'Although there are a lot of Chinese here, we should still use English. You are showing respect to the people here and it also helps you raise your service standards.'
She said her customers have had no trouble understanding her. She often gets mistaken for a Japanese or Korean, she added.
'There'll always be one or two people who will ask me if I'm Japanese or Korean. Maybe the way East Asians speak English is quite similar.'
She still gets a little upset when people criticise China nationals for the way they speak English, but she said: 'If you want to learn, first admit that you are weak, then you can improve.'

<HR SIZE=1>Edited 8/29/2009 11:59 pm by kojakbt22</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-29 8:50 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (3 of 22) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>20062.3 in reply to 20062.2 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Was this not what is happening before? Are these considered foreign talents?
kennyticks2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A good service attitude is even more crucial than language skills. Was impressed by how hard some were trying to understand and help customers.
kjks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ironically, Singaporeans could speak English in school and another language while shopping. The end result is a multi-lingual society.
kjks
Surely our typical Ah Lian can better understand her own people, even if she cannot speak Queen's English. So why not hire Singaporeans, but rather bring in Foreign workers to fill positions of sales assistance, waiters & service-related jobs requiring a min level of basic English? Certainly there are many Singaporeans who can speak English, and out of jobs today, dying to work.
lib24
So The State Times is blaming S'poreans for not speaking the English that chinese nationals can understand !!!!!
Brilliant propaganda!!
legolass
So is these the kind of "Foreign Talents" that our government is looking for ?? As Singaporeans we can't even find our own people to understand the way we speak !! I agree with one of the customer in the report where she says she is not against foreigners who come here to seek a better life, but surely there has to be some kind of standards !! We have other ethnic groups like Malays and Indians, surely you can't expect all these Malay or Indian Singaporeans to know Mandarin ?!?!?
penfriend
becos ah lians not interested in lowly paid service industry mah. it's all about dollars and cents. u want people who speak queen's english, can, pay more lor, can even get ang moh services.
mayhem_sci

[email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-29 8:54 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(6 of 22) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>20062.6 in reply to 20062.5 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Electronic dictionary is her best friend
China-born Zheng Mei Ling's best friend could well be her electronic dictionary.
She bought the hand-held device, which can generate the Chinese equivalent of English words, before she came to Singapore from Zhejiang province. It cost her 300 yuan (S$63).
The 27-year-old carries the device everywhere. She whips it out whenever she comes across difficult words.
It is particularly useful at work. She has been working as a sales assistant at The Cocoa Trees, a chocolate company, at Plaza Singapura for almost two years now.
'Sometimes, I have to read company memos and there are words that I don't understand. I will use the dictionary to find out their meaning,' said the high school graduate.
There are only two service staff from China working at the chocolate chain. It has 14 branches, located in shopping malls and at the airport's Terminals 1 and 2.
Ms Iris Chua, its human resource manager, said The Cocoa Trees chose to hire China nationals because of the increasing number of China tourists.
The company, which hired Ms Zheng from China, does not provide English training for its staff but it does have a week-long training programme on product know-ledge and customer service.
Initially, Ms Zheng's vocabulary was limited to greetings like 'Hello, how are you?'
She said: 'Sometimes, if I don't understand what the customers are saying, I tell them I'm new. Most of them are quite understanding.'
The learning curve was steep but she managed to learn work-related phrases from her Singaporean colleagues. In her free time, she also buys and reads English books to improve her language proficiency.
Her hard work has paid off. Customers praise her for her good command of English. Even her Singaporean colleague is impressed by her.
When she gave herself five out of 10 points for her command of spoken English now, her colleague interrupted and said: 'I will give her seven points.'

[email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"></TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD><TD class=wintiny width="25%" noWrap align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgbfrbot></TD><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-29 9:13 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(9 of 22) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>20062.9 in reply to 20062.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Learning English bit by bit
When Mr Li Yong began working as a barista at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf two years ago, he was stumped when a customer asked for a 'plate'.
'I didn't know what a 'plate' was. My workmates explained that it means 'pan' ('plate' in Mandarin),' recalled the 21-year-old, who works at the cafe's Terminal 3 outlet.
'That was how I learnt English: by picking up new words and phrases from my customers and colleagues.'
The Fujian native is among the 49 China nationals who work at the cafe chain's 45 outlets in Singapore.
They all went through a three-month basic English programme to equip them with basic conversational skills, said Mr Vincent Chang, the company's senior director of business development and controller (Asia Pacific).
Despite the training he received, Mr Li still struggled in the first few months with the English phrases bandied about at his workplace.
'Our foundation is in Mandarin, so it is quite difficult to have to learn so much in so short a time,' he said.
Within six months, however, he passed an in-house exam that tested his work-related English skills.
His colleagues were a big help to him. Most of them are Malays and Filipinos.
'Sometimes, we would go out on our days off. They will correct me if I say something that's not right.'
Mr Li counts himself lucky for not having really upset any customers. While his English is not perfect, he can now hold simple conversations with customers and give directions to tourists.
He believes having the right attitude can help overcome any language barriers.
'You just need to smile. Most of the time, our customers are quite understanding.'
He hopes Singaporeans will give China nationals a chance to prove themselves as service staff.
'I really like my job, and I get a lot of satisfaction from serving customers.'

[email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is it not clear enuff that the ultimate aim of Old Fart's FTrash scam is to replace Sporns to perpetuate his 1 Familee rule? Have the 66% woken up from their fcuked up idea?

jw5

Loyal
If she actually apologised for not being able to speak English, I think that's credit to her and her employer.
The key here is not whether the China FT can speak English but how effective she is as a service staff.
If an employer hires a non English speaking China FT at Changi airport or Orchard road, the employer only has himself to blame if he loses sales.
But there is no reason for an owner of a szechuan restaurant in Chinatown to hire a China FT who can speak English.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, I will make it a point to patronise those businesses who hire PRC help

We need 1.5 million more PRC to help Singapore's economic and social future

tiuroyston46asshole

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it not clear enuff that the ultimate aim of Old Fart's FTrash scam is to replace Sporns to perpetuate his 1 Familee rule? Have the 66% woken up from their fcuked up idea?

what the fuck you are not clear.... the aim is to get rid of asshole like you

Don't worry for the 66%....the are .....rushing to tour fare today.....:rolleyes:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
makapaa said:
But they have problems understanding the way Singaporeans speak English. Some are taking language courses to brush up on their fluency.

now i understand why angmos don't understand my engrish leh...:biggrin:

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
LeeHsienLoong_2007May04.jpg

The Japanese don't speak english and chinese.
But multi-millions of tourists went to Japan every year.
They were impressed by the good service of the Japanese.
If you don't expect a Japanese to speak english or chinese to you,
then why do you expect a chinaman to speak english or chinese to you?
Or I should say singlish? Because sinkies only speak singlish, not engrish.
I rest my case here.:biggrin:

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am speechless to find these pro-FT articles published in response to poor service standards of PRCs

The States Times are traitors just like SPGs and Jap collaborators

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE class=msgtablealt cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-29 8:43 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (2 of 22) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>20062.2 in reply to 20062.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=330 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>
a11-2.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD width="26%">
« Prev

</TD><TD class=georgia12 width="40%" align=middle>Photo 2 of 3
</TD><TD width="34%" align=right>
Next »​

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD class=georgia12 align=middle>View all thumbnails
</TD><TD align=right> </TD></TR><TR></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>Lack oral fluency
'In China, we do well in exams but our listening and conversational skills may not be that good.'
MS XIE MALI, a Chengdu native who works in Mini Toons here

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Getting used to the local accent
She has a business degree and studied English back in China, but Ms Xie Mali was unprepared for the culture shock she experienced when she arrived here three months ago.
The 26-year-old Chengdu native, who works for Mini Toons, a gift chain, said: 'It was hard to understand the English here. It's mixed with a bit of Malay and the sentence structure is different from what I was taught.'
But her grounding in English helped, and she quickly got used to the local accent.
'My listening skills definitely improved. In China, we do well in exams but our listening and conversational skills may not be that good.'
Mini Toons has 25 China service staff working at its 23 outlets in Singapore. Ms Xie mans the Mini Bits outlet at Changi Airport Terminal 2.
The company provides in-house training for staff and enrols them for external courses to improve their English language proficiency.
Ms Xie makes it a point to use English when serving customers.
'Although there are a lot of Chinese here, we should still use English. You are showing respect to the people here and it also helps you raise your service standards.'
She said her customers have had no trouble understanding her. She often gets mistaken for a Japanese or Korean, she added.
'There'll always be one or two people who will ask me if I'm Japanese or Korean. Maybe the way East Asians speak English is quite similar.'
She still gets a little upset when people criticise China nationals for the way they speak English, but she said: 'If you want to learn, first admit that you are weak, then you can improve.'

<HR SIZE=1>Edited 8/29/2009 11:59 pm by kojakbt22</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I went to her shop at T3 recently. She is a very positive lady. English a bit weird and I thot she was Japanese. Anyway, if they are hardworking and try to learn English, would be good lah.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>>'The way Singaporeans speak English...there's a Hokkien accent here. It's very different from the English pronunciations that we were taught,' Ms Jin, who has been here for five months, said in Mandarin. She is doing a telephone conversation course at the Institute of Technical Education's Bishan campus.<<<

Speak English with a HOKKIEN accent? Oh so now half fuck English they cannot understand?! :rolleyes:

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to her shop at T3 recently. She is a very positive lady. English a bit weird and I thot she was Japanese. Anyway, if they are hardworking and try to learn English, would be good lah.

why dont we use the universal language like doggie..BJ...looks like a cutie slutty chick...

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cant understand what u speaking.

LeeHsienLoong_2007May04.jpg

The Japanese don't speak english and chinese.
But multi-millions of tourists went to Japan every year.
They were impressed by the good service of the Japanese.
If you don't expect a Japanese to speak english or chinese to you,
then why do you expect a chinaman to speak english or chinese to you?
Or I should say singlish? Because sinkies only speak singlish, not engrish.
I rest my case here.:biggrin:

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sfzask.jpg

PRC whore : "Lai ma lai ma.. suan ni $80 chiu hao."

Man : "Bu Sing.. Wo kan tze chian, kai tian ba."

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fcb9i.jpg

PRC Gold Digger : "Look at my list of contacts (victims), sinkie men really makes tasty carrot heads."