• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Ravi Menon

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
PS was a TV producer when he miked up Old Man to announce our separation from Malaysian where he cried and they had to take a break. Old Man was forever grateful to PS for his calming effect and guidance. He made him an Ambassador. So Bil had a huge leg up and with his sharp intellect, he took full advantage of it. Unfortunately or fortunately his mouth took over.

Bilahari Kim Hee Kausikan s/o P S Raman
is an exception, because his father was Singapore's Ambassador to the USSR.
Some time later, Bilahari was also appointed as Singapore's Ambassador to USSR (Russia),
and thereafter as Singapore's Permanent Rep to the United Nations in New York.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No relation. However Ravi has not been rated as a Central Banker while his Malaysian, Filipino and Indonesian counterparts are rated higher. I believe his background is econometrics and not known for strategy setting etc. So you will not hear anything profound from him. Nevertheless he rose quite fast despite his background.

maybe he is related to CJ menon ?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PS was a TV producer when he miked up Old Man to announce our separation from Malaysian where he cried and they had to take a break. Old Man was forever grateful to PS for his calming effect and guidance. He made him an Ambassador. So Bil had a huge leg up and with his sharp intellect, he took full advantage of it. Unfortunately or fortunately his mouth took over.

I believe that Bilahari has done exceptionally well, possibly due to his father's connection, and his gift of the gap.
He is not any smarter than you and I.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that Bilahari has done exceptionally well, possibly due to his father's connection, and his gift of the gap.
He is not any smarter than you and I.

That's the single malt talking. However he did suffer a profound personal loss which took a toll on him - but he eventually found his swag (or at least his mouth did). He still supports the national narrative about one people one country one singkiepore - the worse thing is he has also discovered FB so now he has another platform to sprout his profound thoughts. Privately I've heard that he claims he does not rate scholars but of course he will not publicly dare write about it. The Whites can do no wrong.....ever...and his continous support of that narrative is truly dishonest as he has quite the fanboy club and does not feel any responsibility whatsoever for co-opting those numbnuts......

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it has to do with the father who is immensely loyal to the old man. Father is considered some sort of mentor to Nathan whose love for the old man is immeasurable. So there is 3rd PS who is related to the old man used to be PS MFA (forgot the name). So in the company of these 3, young Bil only knew one god.

That's the single malt talking. However he did suffer a profound personal loss which took a toll on him - but he eventually found his swag (or at least his mouth did). He still supports the national narrative about one people one country one singkiepore - the worse thing is he has also discovered FB so now he has another platform to sprout his profound thoughts. Privately I've heard that he claims he does not rate scholars but of course he will not publicly dare write about it. The Whites can do no wrong.....ever...and his continous support of that narrative is truly dishonest as he has quite the fanboy club and does not feel any responsibility whatsoever for co-opting those numbnuts......

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No relation. However Ravi has not been rated as a Central Banker while his Malaysian, Filipino and Indonesian counterparts are rated higher. I believe his background is econometrics and not known for strategy setting etc. So you will not hear anything profound from him. Nevertheless he rose quite fast despite his background.

Would Yeoh Lam Keong be a better choice?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Hi scroobal,

Not quite accurate on the DS thing.
If you look at MFA, their DSes are non AOs. Promoted from within.
Could be a MFA quirk or legacy of Bilahari who is not in awe of the admin service.

Don't believe everything the fake Screwedball says. Lim Chong Yah is not related to the PM. He is related to the PM's brother, being Hsien Yang's father in law. Not the same.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Ravi has been rated as B grade. Don't say he has not been rated. Any zikapore central banker will never get a high rating because they do not implement the best monetary policies for the country. They only implement the policies that the PAP tells them to implement, even if it goes against the common good.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ravi has been rated as B grade. Don't say he has not been rated. Any zikapore central banker will never get a high rating because they do not implement the best monetary policies for the country. They only implement the policies that the PAP tells them to implement, even if it goes against the common good.

the common good means slightly more than 69%. common good in sg means pap policies.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, Foreign Service personnel are not part of the Admin Service. Its is a distinct service. For examples Ashok Mirpuri Ambassador to US and Vanu Gopal Menon High Commissioner to Malaysia holds grades that are now equivalent to PS but not part of Admin Service. MOF and all other Ministeries are helmed by the Admin Service.

Hi scroobal,

Not quite accurate on the DS thing.
If you look at MFA, their DSes are non AOs. Promoted from within.
Could be a MFA quirk or legacy of Bilahari who is not in awe of the admin service.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ravi did his NUS honours years supervised by Lim Chong Yah. All Honours students must have a personal supervisor to do their thesis. Certain companies and Government bodies such as Stat Board rely on recommendations of academic to board their top students. Thats how Ravi went into MAS...

Prof Lim was the head of the Econs Dept at that time, so how can he possibly be the supervisor to Ravi, not even a masters student at that, for his Hons thesis? Also you said Ravi is trained in econometrics but my understanding is that all econometricians are PhD holders.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interestingly he could pick and choose, thats his prerogative and I suspect that he chose the topic rather than Ravi. You do not need PHD for econometrics just good grasp of advanced statistics. Heads of econometrics in MAS are not necessarily PHD holders. Their former head of Econometrics and Modelling and now their chief Economist does not have a PHD.

Prof Lim was the head of the Econs Dept at that time, so how can he possibly be the supervisor to Ravi, not even a masters student at that, for his Hons thesis? Also you said Ravi is trained in econometrics but my understanding is that all econometricians are PhD holders.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

U are a voice of logic trying to reason with Screwedball, the faker. In any one cohort at NUS econs department, up to 10% or more of the cohort could be some sort of first class or second class honours winner. For Lim Chong Yah to personally supervise so many is ludicrous. He was too busy writing his Econs text book and making royalties off it. What Screwedball says does not make sense.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Also, it should be noted that Ravi never had much inclination to pursue further studies in econs. He does not even have a MAsters or Phd in Econs. He took a one year sabbatical to do the Mid Career Masters in Public Administration Program at Harvard University. Not likely that any senior faculty member in NUS will take the time to mentor some one with no intentions to pursue a dedicated career in econs.

Godfather - That is an interesting one. I would have to assume here that it is Tharm. Tharm is Chairman of MAS and Ravi is long time MAS staffer. Could also be Heng Swee Keat because he was Heng's number 2. But not sure on this, and only known to his inner circle.

Scholar - No. He was not a scholar. After NS, he went to NUS and studied Econs. Graduated with honours and Bachelor of Science. Then straight away after graduating, he joined MAS. Basically he has worked for MAS in some capacity or other all his life.

How did he rise thru the ranks - Blind loyalty to the PAP. I have met Hsien Loong. Hsien yang, and I know Ravi personally. Among the 3, ravi is by far the most die hard rabid PAP supporter. Even in Secondary school, he was already very pro PAP. Should have whacked his ass good back then. He was siao on thru NS, winning the sword as an OCS cadet. Why? Because PAP say NS is good for Zikapore, so he must siao on put in 150%.

Other info- He is smart, quick witted and has a good sense of humour. But he could not have gotten when he was without that blind loyalty to the PAP. this makes him a bad central banker. A banker who would over ride prudent financial policies because the PAP wants him to. Came from very humble background. Mother was single parent raising family in one room flat. that is why he thinks the PAP is so great. From a nobody, he can become a somebody. Owes it all to the PAP.
How do you know all this?

Ravi did his NUS honours years supervised by Lim Chong Yah. All Honours students must have a personal supervisor to do their thesis. Certain companies and Government bodies such as Stat Board rely on recommendations of academic to board their top students. Thats how Ravi went into MAS.

His second break was when the PM who was Minister of Finance then and holding the position MAS Chairman transferred Ravi to his Ministry as DS after a number of presentation to the Board. What is interesting is that he did not enter the Admin Service even though he held the rank of DS. A few years later however he was absorbed into Admin Service. To my knowledge no other person outside the Admin Service has held the post of DS which suggest that they did not follow the rules and PSC did not appoint him but that it was a secondment. An unusual one at that. He was then promoted to PS and transferred to MTI. PS MTI is usually reserved for PPS.

The fact that Lim Chong Yah is related to the PM is another interesting note.
How did u know all this