- Joined
- Aug 10, 2008
- Messages
- 779
- Points
- 0
Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jan 8, 2010
EMBASSY CAR CRASH
Ionescu won't return
By Teh Joo Lin
Dr Ionescu now says he will assist in the probe from Romania. The MFA has stressed to Romania's ambassador the importance of full cooperation. -- FILE PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
ROMANIAN diplomat Silviu Ionescu, who might have been involved in a hit-and-run accident here, has made a U-turn and told journalists in his home country that he will not be returning to Singapore after all.
Last week, he had said he would come back some time this month, after seeking medical treatment for diabetes at home.
Yesterday, he said his statement had been misunderstood.
He explained that he would not be returning after all as he had been recalled from his post in Singapore. Instead, he would assist in the accident investigations from Romania.
On Wednesday, Romania's Foreign Affairs Ministry recalled Dr Ionescu as the charge d'affaires of its embassy here. It said the move was made to allow the Prosecutor's Office in Romania to properly investigate the accident, which took place on Dec 15.
That morning, an Audi A6 that was later traced to the embassy hit three men in Bukit Panjang, one of whom died later. The car was found abandoned in Sungei Kadut, an industrial area near Kranji.
Read the full story in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jan 8, 2010
EMBASSY CAR CRASH
Ionescu won't return
By Teh Joo Lin
Dr Ionescu now says he will assist in the probe from Romania. The MFA has stressed to Romania's ambassador the importance of full cooperation. -- FILE PHOTO: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS
ROMANIAN diplomat Silviu Ionescu, who might have been involved in a hit-and-run accident here, has made a U-turn and told journalists in his home country that he will not be returning to Singapore after all.
Last week, he had said he would come back some time this month, after seeking medical treatment for diabetes at home.
Yesterday, he said his statement had been misunderstood.
He explained that he would not be returning after all as he had been recalled from his post in Singapore. Instead, he would assist in the accident investigations from Romania.
On Wednesday, Romania's Foreign Affairs Ministry recalled Dr Ionescu as the charge d'affaires of its embassy here. It said the move was made to allow the Prosecutor's Office in Romania to properly investigate the accident, which took place on Dec 15.
That morning, an Audi A6 that was later traced to the embassy hit three men in Bukit Panjang, one of whom died later. The car was found abandoned in Sungei Kadut, an industrial area near Kranji.
Read the full story in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.