- Joined
- Apr 4, 2009
- Messages
- 71
- Points
- 0
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 6, 2009
Geylang Serai rojak food poisoning
Woman in coma dies
By Nicholas Yong
Preliminary investigations showed the Rojak to be the suspected cause of the outbreak. -- PHOTO: BERITA HARIAN
A CANTEEN assistant who had been on life support after eating Rojak in a Geylang Serai market stall, died on Monday morning.
Madam Hamidah Samijo, 57, came down with severe food poisoning after a meal at the Rojak Geylang Serai stall last Friday.
She went into a coma, making her the worst hit among the more than 100 people who sought treatment at six major hospitals after eating at the stall. She died at 6.50 am at the Changi General Hospital on Monday.
Her body has been moved to the Singapore General Hospital for autopsy.
Her husband Omar Ali, who is in his 50s, was also admitted to CGH but he is recovering. Two other family members, Madam Siti Hamidah, a housewife in her 40s and her brother also fell ill after eating there.
In Madam Aminah's case, acute renal failure set in when the food poisoning infection entered her kidneys, sending her into a coma. She also had low blood pressure.
Of those who sought treatment in hospitals, 29 were admitted. Only three are known to have been discharged so far.
Rojak Geylang Serai, Stall No. 302, has been around for more than 20 years, and often has long queues snaking from it.
The Ministry of Health and the National Environment Agency jointly inspected the stall on Saturday and collected samples. MOH, which has received feedback from the hospitals and from stall patrons, said preliminary investigations showed the Rojak to be the suspected cause of the outbreak.
The stallholder and his assistant have been asked to go for screening at the Communicable Diseases Centre. The stallholder told authorities that his stall would be closed for the next two days
April 6, 2009
Geylang Serai rojak food poisoning
Woman in coma dies
By Nicholas Yong
Preliminary investigations showed the Rojak to be the suspected cause of the outbreak. -- PHOTO: BERITA HARIAN
A CANTEEN assistant who had been on life support after eating Rojak in a Geylang Serai market stall, died on Monday morning.
Madam Hamidah Samijo, 57, came down with severe food poisoning after a meal at the Rojak Geylang Serai stall last Friday.
She went into a coma, making her the worst hit among the more than 100 people who sought treatment at six major hospitals after eating at the stall. She died at 6.50 am at the Changi General Hospital on Monday.
Her body has been moved to the Singapore General Hospital for autopsy.
Her husband Omar Ali, who is in his 50s, was also admitted to CGH but he is recovering. Two other family members, Madam Siti Hamidah, a housewife in her 40s and her brother also fell ill after eating there.
In Madam Aminah's case, acute renal failure set in when the food poisoning infection entered her kidneys, sending her into a coma. She also had low blood pressure.
Of those who sought treatment in hospitals, 29 were admitted. Only three are known to have been discharged so far.
Rojak Geylang Serai, Stall No. 302, has been around for more than 20 years, and often has long queues snaking from it.
The Ministry of Health and the National Environment Agency jointly inspected the stall on Saturday and collected samples. MOH, which has received feedback from the hospitals and from stall patrons, said preliminary investigations showed the Rojak to be the suspected cause of the outbreak.
The stallholder and his assistant have been asked to go for screening at the Communicable Diseases Centre. The stallholder told authorities that his stall would be closed for the next two days