- Joined
- Jul 24, 2008
- Messages
- 33,627
- Points
- 0
[h=2]Yet another fault in MRT line – trains travelling slower along EW line[/h]
July 30th, 2013 |
Author: Editorial
LG (NS) Desmond Kuek, SMRT President and CEO
Trains are travelling slower on the East-West line.
SMRT said it is taking this safety precaution following a track circuit failure at Clementi MRT station at about 7.20am today (30 Jul).
Signallers were deployed immediately to assess the situation.
It said that the circuit failure did not disrupt its train service and added that recovery action between Clementi and Dover stations is currently ongoing.
A spokesman said trains will be travelling at a slower speed for the safety of passengers.
Commuters have reported that trains on the East-West line are moving more slowly this morning and even stopping frequently.
However SMRT’s Twitter feed did not mention any disruption or delay in train services.
Meanwhile, SMRT’s Vice President for Corporate Marketing and Communications, Ms Kalai Natarajan, left SMRT yesterday (29 Jul) without serving notice. She was with SMRT for only 5 months.
She was among several senior management staff brought in by the new CEO Lt Gen (NS) Desmond Kuek to help SMRT get back on track after he took over in October last year. Many of them were from the SAF.
She has had to deal with several train delays, the most prominent of which was in April when a crack on the northbound track between Somerset and Orchard stations slowed trains to a crawl.
On Sunday (21 Jul), an SMRT bus service number 700A, suspected to be speeding, lost control and crashed into road barriers on the other side of the road before it overturned. The accident happened at the junction of BKE slip road and Dairy Farm Road, resulting in 1 death and 2 injuries (‘Bus overturns: SMRT declines to confirm driver’s nationality but media say he’s from China‘).
After the accident, SMRT declined to reveal the bus driver’s nationality to the Straits Times but readily told Channel 8 News he is from China. This shows that SMRT is having problems co-ordinating their communication with the media.
More than 5 members of Ms Natarajan’s communication team have resigned as well.
Ms Natarajan herself is not from the SAF. She has been in the marketing communications and public relations business for the past 18 years.




Trains are travelling slower on the East-West line.
SMRT said it is taking this safety precaution following a track circuit failure at Clementi MRT station at about 7.20am today (30 Jul).
Signallers were deployed immediately to assess the situation.
It said that the circuit failure did not disrupt its train service and added that recovery action between Clementi and Dover stations is currently ongoing.
A spokesman said trains will be travelling at a slower speed for the safety of passengers.
Commuters have reported that trains on the East-West line are moving more slowly this morning and even stopping frequently.
However SMRT’s Twitter feed did not mention any disruption or delay in train services.
Meanwhile, SMRT’s Vice President for Corporate Marketing and Communications, Ms Kalai Natarajan, left SMRT yesterday (29 Jul) without serving notice. She was with SMRT for only 5 months.
She was among several senior management staff brought in by the new CEO Lt Gen (NS) Desmond Kuek to help SMRT get back on track after he took over in October last year. Many of them were from the SAF.
She has had to deal with several train delays, the most prominent of which was in April when a crack on the northbound track between Somerset and Orchard stations slowed trains to a crawl.
On Sunday (21 Jul), an SMRT bus service number 700A, suspected to be speeding, lost control and crashed into road barriers on the other side of the road before it overturned. The accident happened at the junction of BKE slip road and Dairy Farm Road, resulting in 1 death and 2 injuries (‘Bus overturns: SMRT declines to confirm driver’s nationality but media say he’s from China‘).
After the accident, SMRT declined to reveal the bus driver’s nationality to the Straits Times but readily told Channel 8 News he is from China. This shows that SMRT is having problems co-ordinating their communication with the media.
More than 5 members of Ms Natarajan’s communication team have resigned as well.
Ms Natarajan herself is not from the SAF. She has been in the marketing communications and public relations business for the past 18 years.