• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Window 8 26/10/2012

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Most preview say...this is even worst then Vista...mobile OS UI on a desktop just doesn't work...moi munching popcorn now...:biggrin:

Microsoft courts mobile lifestyles with Windows 8

display_image.php

SAN FRANCISCO: Microsoft on Friday will release a new version of its flagship Windows operating system tailored for a world shifting from personal computers to smartphones and tablets.

The software giant gambled by changing long familiar user interface features to make Windows 8 compatible with trends toward keeping programs and data in the Internet "cloud" and relying on mobile gadgets at work and at home.

"Microsoft has this vision where they want to go; and it is Windows in the cloud," said analyst Michael Cherry of Directions on Microsoft, an independent firm that tracks the Redmond, Washington-based company.

"The chasm is very big and Windows 8 is a good first step," he continued. "But, all of these transitions come with a little pain."

The arrival of Windows 8 will coincide with the availability of Microsoft Slate tablet computers to challenge Apple's market-ruling iPads and rivals built on Google's Android software.

Slate tablets will be among Windows 8-powered devices sold in real-world Microsoft stores that will "pop up" on Friday in the United States and Canada.

Microsoft promised that the temporary, holiday-season shops will feature a "curated collection of Microsoft's coolest products."

Windows 8 and an accompanying version of Microsoft's free Internet Explorer web browsing program, were designed to optimize touch-screen capabilities.

"This is an absolutely critical product," Microsoft co-founder and chairman Bill Gates said in a video interview posted on the company's website.

"It takes Windows into the world of touch, low-powered devices, really giving people the best of what we think of as a tablet-type experience and the PC experience," he continued. "It is a big step."

Windows 8 will support a wide range of devices, including touch- and stylus-based smartphones and tablet PCs as well as desktop and laptop machines.

Versions of the operating system have been tailored for chips used to power various mobile devices.

The fate of Slate and other Windows 8 tablets will likely hinge on the availability and pricing of applications, since fun or functional "apps" are what people tend to love about gadgets, according to Cherry.

"Frankly, even an iPad out of the box isn't really exciting; it is a platform things can run on," the analyst said.

"The real question is how many apps really exploit the Windows 8 platform, and right now the number of apps you can truly get excited about is quite low."

Microsoft would "get software developers behind this," Gates added.

Apple on Tuesday introduced a fourth-generation iPad and a "mini" version of its hot-selling tablet computer while touting the fact there are more than 275,000 "apps" tailored for the tablets.

Apple also pointed out anew that iPads have been gaining popularity in businesses, long considered Microsoft technology strongholds.

Approximately 90 per cent of the world's computers run on Windows software but sales of Apple Macintosh machines have outpaced the overall personal computer market for six consecutive years.

If mobile device operating systems such as those powering Android and Apple gadgets are factored into the equation, Microsoft's share drops considerably.

Windows 8 allows users to store and share personal data among various devices under the "SkyDrive" cloud computing service.

Rivals Apple and Google offer such services, which let people store digital data on servers in the Internet "cloud" and access files from devices of their choosing.

Windows 8 will be available in 109 languages across 231 markets worldwide.

It "is simply the biggest deal for this company in at least 17 years," Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer said at Windows 8 preview event, referring to the time since the launch of the game-changing Windows 95 operating system.

"It's the glue; it's the foundation of everything Microsoft is built on."

Cherry dismissed worries that Windows 8 changes, such as replacing the "start" menu with "tiles" on an opening page, will alienate long-time users.

"User interfaces should grow, adapt and change," Cherry said. "Let's give people some credit that they will get it."

Forrester analyst Frank Gillett considered Windows 8 the most "radical" change for the operating system since the original Windows replaced DOS software in the early 1990s.

It remained to be seen how quickly Windows 8 would be adopted by businesses, which remain cautious after problems with the Vista version of the operating system generations earlier and that follow their own timelines for updating technology.

Microsoft reported that pre-sales of Windows 8 have outstripped those of its predecessor by 40 per cent.

Microsoft will hold a gala party in New York City on Thursday for the midnight launch of Windows 8 and devote a massive marketing budget to promoting the operating system.

- AFP/ck

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many people out there are comfortable with XP & Win 7 so I doubt there will many lining up to get 8.

With people moving to tablets & smartphones there is even less reasons to stay in the Windows eco system.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What new stuff does win 8 offer over 7?

What i know that win 7 offers over xp is dx11 which is for games and support for newer hardware but if you just use your pc to surf the net and do some office work you are totally fine with xp.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Think Windows Vista was a flop? Windows 8 will be an even greater flop.

Don't think it will be a flop...there are the "60% SINkees voteres" people, out there in the world..who will still stick to windozed even it sucks!. I know one who dual-boot his PC with Windows XP, whereas his OS was Vista..what for?? I can not understand, or those who migrated to MAC OS & still want dual boot to Vista or 7?? My mac is MAC..my windozed..is will be WINdozed..

Micro s&%$#t is like the "whities"...Windows 8 really look very modern...& very like Mac...BUT, their eco-system, they can never get it right....they have three or four flavours of Windows 8...Windows 8, Pro, Enterprise & RT...have they changed? NO!!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some under the hood changes such as an improved File Copy dialog box, faster bootup time etc.

But of course, the main attraction of Windows 8 are these fun tiles which everyone so loves! :rolleyes:

Buying an ssd and preventing crap ware from loading would speed up loading times. I doubt an otimized win 7 would lose to win 8in loading up times but then again i don't own win 8 so i'm assuming.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean in Singapore. I'm waiting for pictures of queues in Funan, Simlim to show up here, and the 1st gong kia to cry "I got win8". That would be funny.

Don't think it will be a flop...there are the "60% SINkees voteres" people, out there in the world..who will still stick to windozed even it sucks!. I know one who dual-boot his PC with Windows XP, whereas his OS was Vista..what for?? I can not understand, or those who migrated to MAC OS & still want dual boot to Vista or 7?? My mac is MAC..my windozed..is will be WINdozed..

Micro s&%$#t is like the "whities"...Windows 8 really look very modern...& very like Mac...BUT, their eco-system, they can never get it right....they have three or four flavours of Windows 8...Windows 8, Pro, Enterprise & RT...have they changed? NO!!

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dafug? I am keeping my Win 7...:mad:

[h=1]Windows 8 won’t allow adult games on its storefront[/h]
An analysis of the Windows 8 app certification requirements by programmer and tech blogger Casey Muratori suggests that games with a rating over PEGI 16 or ESRB Mature will not be allowed on the Windows 8 storefront.
This means we won’t be seeing many of the current crop of games on the store, or, given the proliferation of rating-baiting neck-stabbing seen at E3, many of next year’s either – not unless publisher’s are willing to heavily sanitise their content.
The guidelines are pretty explicit about creating a walled-garden within Microsoft’s hitherto anything-goes OS. As section 6.2 of the certificaiton requirements state: “Your app must not contain adult content, and metadata must be appropriate for everyone. Apps with a rating over PEGI 16, ESRB MATURE, or that contain content that would warrant such a rating, are not allowed.”
As Kotaku pointed out, this might not be such a problem in the US, where relatively few games receive a mature rating, but it will be very significant in Europe, where games such as Dishonored, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Assassin’s Creed, Call of Duty all fall foul of the restriction.
Of course, you’ll still be able to buy and install these games on the OS – you just won’t be able to get them from the official Windows storefront. So is this a problem? Perhaps – games that don’t make the cut won’t be able to make use of Windows 8′s bespoke features, and by bifurcating the platform Microsoft risks fragmenting the PC gaming marketplace. If games are rated as mature in one location and not in another, will that create stark regional differences? And what’s more, from a creative perspective, it may force developers to censor themselves in an attempt to reach that wider audience.
It’s a curious direction to take for a platform which prides itself on being open, and the reaction among devs is sure to echo the fears already annunciated by the likes of Gabe Newell, Blizzard’s Rob Pardo,Notch and others.