• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will you sing for the SDP?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry again but I think you are far too forgiving when it comes to Yaw. This chap is plain intellectually dishonest period. I followed the whole brouhaha with great interest and the statements this twit wannabe politician made in his blog after the incident first became public and his later bizaare flip flop interview in TNP demonstrates beyond doubt that Yaw is a hypocrite, intellectually dishonest and totally lacks credibility.

Furthermore Slyvia Lim's initial public comments on the matter and how Low Thia Khiang and WP's CEC handled the issue thereafter was very disappointing to the say the least, and it just shows how desperate WP is to hold onto any 'talent' that it can get. Black mark to WP.

Bottom line, Yaw should have at the very least spoiled his vote if he did not want to vote for the opposition candidate. The fact that he did not see fit to do this demonstrates that Yaw is unfit and unsuitable to be an opposition politician. he should just join PAP.:rolleyes:
On the surface, it can be seen in that "ironical" or "oxymoron" way.

However, as I had expressed, the only reason for the occurrence was the PAP's dominance. Another issue is that opposition parties cannot be assumed to be friends.

Say, a SDA candidate can perceive the WP candidate in his ward is less vote-worthy than the PAP, if both parties contested the ward he was living in. I believe the pro-SDP handle "Yellow_people" expressed the same view (that he would vote the PAP or spoil his vote if the WP came). That argument is fine with me.

For example, I would not vote PKMS if it comes to my ward. Not that I have something against Malay candidates but I have an issue with race-based parties. I wouldn't even vote for a "Singapore Chinese Party" if it comes to my ward to contest against the PAP.

If I didn't recall wrongly, the SDP nearly wanted to get into a 3-corner fight with the WP in both Sembawang GRC and Nee Soon Central. Had this happened, 7 of YSL's comrades are no longer "fighting" only the PAP but are actually "fighting" both the PAP and the SDP. Does this automatically give YSL the "right" to vote for the PAP? Now, why would that be the case?

I would think YSL's real gaffes were the justifications of why he voted PAP + when he said he would vote against his own party's candidates. As the latter did not manifest, I take it as a young man who spoke without thinking and hope he matures over time. Several opposition leaders were guilty of gaffes, IMHO, when they first entered politics. Perhaps the weakness in grooming and acumen but all is not lost.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to "elect" more opposition when the electoral process is under the jackboot of the dictator who is prepared to use "bulldozers" to flatten even the slightest opposition to his family-controlled, opaque government institutions?

Even the Emperor has an expiry date. I do have doubts in my mind in which I believe that the prince doesn't have the personality trait to do what his father did, and in an effective manner.

I mean, LKY has had the trait in which he could put the fear of God into ordinary citizens. LHL has been rumoured to have the same anger problem, but unlike his father, doesn't have the strong stubborn character trait to put people on notice, and to do whatever he wants to do.

It remains to be seen of course, but I doubt the PM, having a weak personality, will be as tough as his father. He will pretend though. But in time, I think there will be people who will call his bluff in public.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
continue to push the blame and soon there will be none there for sdp to blame.:mad:

[Nothing has "shifted". The PA which runs the community centres/clubs is off limit to the opposition. The "media" is off limit to the opposition. So are the judiciary, the parliament, etc. This could only happen in a dictatorship headed by a person who is intolerant of any dissent. ]

one2unite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even the Emperor has an expiry date. I do have doubts in my mind in which I believe that the prince doesn't have the personality trait to do what his father did, and in an effective manner.

I mean, LKY has had the trait in which he could put the fear of God into ordinary citizens. LHL has been rumoured to have the same anger problem, but unlike his father, doesn't have the strong stubborn character trait to put people on notice, and to do whatever he wants to do.

It remains to be seen of course, but I doubt the PM, having a weak personality, will be as tough as his father. He will pretend though. But in time, I think there will be people who will call his bluff in public.

Empires crumble eventually and the Lee fiefdom is no exception. But what is of interest is the constant work and action of charlatans and fakes in the employ of the Emperor trying to fool the people that through elections change could be made in Singapore.

Uncertainty will certainly be the order after the demise of a dictator and LKY's passing away is subject to this universal truth.

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
continue to push the blame and soon there will be none there for sdp to blame.

[Nothing has "shifted". The PA which runs the community centres/clubs is off limit to the opposition. The "media" is off limit to the opposition. So are the judiciary, the parliament, etc. This could only happen in a dictatorship headed by a person who is intolerant of any dissent. ]

FUCKING chao ah kwa PAP dog!

that's not blame you fucktard!

that's a FACT moron!

A

Alu862

Can we get back to the issue? Why of all things would anyone offer to singa for the SDP? Do you see McCain asking supporters to sing anti-Obama songs?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry again but I think you are far too forgiving when it comes to Yaw. This chap is plain intellectually dishonest period. I followed the whole brouhaha with great interest and the statements this twit wannabe politician made in his blog after the incident first became public and his later bizaare flip flop interview in TNP demonstrates beyond doubt that Yaw is a hypocrite, intellectually dishonest and totally lacks credibility.

Furthermore Slyvia Lim's initial public comments on the matter and how Low Thia Khiang and WP's CEC handled the issue thereafter was very disappointing to the say the least, and it just shows how desperate WP is to hold onto any 'talent' that it can get. Black mark to WP.

Bottom line, Yaw should have at the very least spoiled his vote if he did not want to vote for the opposition candidate. The fact that he did not see fit to do this demonstrates that Yaw is unfit and unsuitable to be an opposition politician. he should just join PAP.:rolleyes:

I am sorry, bro, but I do not know what it means by "intellectually dishonest". A term a little too academic to me. Perhaps you are right that I am "too forgiving" to YSL. To add, he should have kept his vote a secret.

Nevertheless, I cut slack on nearly all opposition candidates. Decent ones, even CSJ and his sister, will get my vote.

I do not know how I would have voted if I were in YSL's shoes and being non-PAP in my life, I am glad I have never received such a "choice".

If the SDP implored me to vote for their party and sent LHD to my ward, serious doubts would grow within me that he actually represents their party and their party actually made a wise choice in fielding him, because we are talking about their party chairman, who, in the eve of a very important election, was still trying to get his secretary-general expelled from the party - and moreover boasting about it to the mainstream press. I can safely say that, since the Chiam saga of which he was largely involved, he is in my view not for his party's cause nor the opposition's cause.

About spoiling the vote. Again, it is how one perceives his vote. To me, if your vote for the reduction of PAP's dominance, then you can't even spoil your vote. You have to vote for T T Durai even if he suddenly appears under the DPP ticket. In my opinion, in the context of the PAP's dominance and the electoral system it has set, a spoilt vote does nothing to the PAP's dominance.

You may disagree, but in my view, casting a spoilt vote is no different from voting for the PAP, if based on the reason that YSL should not since was a WP candidate. That is my honest view.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me be blunt then Bro, Yaw Shin Leong appears to be "dishonest", plain and simple. And you are right he should have kept his big fat gob shut, again another flaw in his character make-up as a politician and again another good reason for Yaw to be cast aside as a serious credible opposition politician.
I am sorry, bro, but I do not know what it means by "intellectually dishonest". A term a little too academic to me. Perhaps you are right that I am "too forgiving" to YSL. To add, he should have kept his vote a secret..

Sorry but I am going to have to be blunt here Bro. Your pov appears to be misconceived and flawed. The critical issue which you appear to have failed to understand is something called "principle".

Yaw Shin Leong was no ordinary member of WP. He was and still is a CEC member and more importantly a candidate standing against PAP. He publicly canvassed against PAP asking the electorate to vote for him as an opposition politician. Now how can this action ever be squared with Yaw's contradictory action of proudly voting for PAP Teo Ho Pin at the sametime (also influencing his mother to do likewise)? It goes without saying that the vote for PAP Teo is tantamount to endorsing PAP as PAP Teo would be endorsing and voting for PAP's policies.

Under the circumstances Yaw has "deceived" the public electorate by approbating and reprobating at the same time. This has nothing whatsoever to do with "casting a spoilt vote is no different from voting for the PAP". The critical issue Bro is one of genuine sincerity, honesty, integrity and credibility, in a nutshell it is all about "principle". Something which Yaw appears to lack when it comes to being a serious credible opposition politician.

That is why I maintain that Yaw is unfit and unacceptable to continue to stand an opposition politician and should just step aside if he had any sense of shame and moral fibre. If he is so desperate to remain a politician then he should just join PAP but probably he already tried long ago but was only seen fit to make tea. Alas Yaw has never even had the guts and integrity to properly and adequately come clean over his flip flop. I spit on him. Oh and again I say this episode leaves a black mark on WP's CEC and in particular Low and Slyvia because it shows that they too lack the moral fibre to do the right thing and stand up for "principle".

I do not know how I would have voted if I were in YSL's shoes and being non-PAP in my life, I am glad I have never received such a "choice".

If the SDP implored me to vote for their party and sent LHD to my ward, serious doubts would grow within me that he actually represents their party and their party actually made a wise choice in fielding him, because we are talking about their party chairman, who, in the eve of a very important election, was still trying to get his secretary-general expelled from the party - and moreover boasting about it to the mainstream press. I can safely say that, since the Chiam saga of which he was largely involved, he is in my view not for his party's cause nor the opposition's cause.

About spoiling the vote. Again, it is how one perceives his vote. To me, if your vote for the reduction of PAP's dominance, then you can't even spoil your vote. You have to vote for T T Durai even if he suddenly appears under the DPP ticket. In my opinion, in the context of the PAP's dominance and the electoral system it has set, a spoilt vote does nothing to the PAP's dominance.

You may disagree, but in my view, casting a spoilt vote is no different from voting for the PAP, if based on the reason that YSL should not since was a WP candidate. That is my honest view.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I respect your POV, bro, but I have my different views even if it is perceived to be "misconceived" and "flawed" to your or anyone's POV. To me, it is how I see things and we all have the right to our views, no?

While I may not agree with announcing who he voted for, I have nothing against relatively-alright opposition voting the PAP over other opposition that is seriously "on the blink" in my view, as long as they are not the same party. Nor I do I personally think this warrants a quit of politics.

To me, the whole point is whether we circle our argument around the PAP but also respect if people, pro-opposition or not, take this matter seriously. At the end of the day, I think to let him stand before the voters of Singapore.

As attempting to find response to this post of yours may make me repeat my earlier points again, we will agree to disagree here. Thanks for the great discussion.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
No worries on the agree to disagree bit Bro.

However, I personally have huge big irreconciliable problems giving a break to a dishonest hypocrite opportunist like Yaw Shin Leong who has no qualms deceiving the public electorate to vote for him as an opposition politician against PAP while at the same time endorsing PAP by voting for PAP Teo Ho Pin (and influencing his mum to do likewise). Yaw Shin Leong is a bloody disgrace to opposition politics period and WP is tainted by not taking the appropriate principled action against him.

Oh and if Yaw Shin Leong has the gall and audacity to stand as an opposition politician against PAP at the next GE, I hope he get's heckled, booed and jeered at the hustings and loses his deposit as well. Yaw Shin Leong:oIo:

I respect your POV, bro, but I have my different views even if it is perceived to be "misconceived" and "flawed" to your or anyone's POV. To me, it is how I see things and we all have the right to our views, no?

While I may not agree with announcing who he voted for, I have nothing against relatively-alright opposition voting the PAP over other opposition that is seriously "on the blink" in my view, as long as they are not the same party. Nor I do I personally think this warrants a quit of politics.

To me, the whole point is whether we circle our argument around the PAP but also respect if people, pro-opposition or not, take this matter seriously. At the end of the day, I think to let him stand before the voters of Singapore.

As attempting to find response to this post of yours may make me repeat my earlier points again, we will agree to disagree here. Thanks for the great discussion.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro Porfirio,

Shin Leong has already publicly apologised, acknowledged mistake, expressed remorse and repented in his blog. We're all humans and we all make mistakes now and then. 知错能改,善莫大焉。

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean that piece of equivocal 'perspective' shit that Yaw Shin Leong wrote in his blog and an apology not amounting to an apology in TNP that not only left me bemused and pissed off to put it mildly but also left the TNP reporter puzzled to say the least?:rolleyes:

Yaw Shin Leong has never been genuine, sincere and honest throughout that whole despicable bloody episode and the WP CEC and Low and Sylvia in particular have hardly come out shinning of roses either. Want to vote PAP go and bloody well join PAP don't deceive the public electorate to vote for you as an opposition politician at the same time, and then want to apologise just come out and unequivocally and categorically say sorry, not come out with mumbo jumbo shit that further smacks of hypocrisy and insincerity wtf:rolleyes: I spit on Yaw Shin Leong again:oIo:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how come they didn't ask ngejay? don't underestimate him. he is quite musically inclined.

I think that you're reputably one of the most accomplished guitarist here with a treasure chest of chords and songs under your repertoire. :biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry Bro, but on this one I cannot move on because Yaw Shin Leong has never been genuine honest and sincere throughout the whole episode, even with his so called apology which smacks of dishonesty once again. About sums up Yaw Shin Leong's character as an opposition politician - totally unfit and unacceptable.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps he was too honest, so honest that he revealed his vote. Anyway, hope he learnt his lesson. Forgiven or not? It's not up to me of course. The public is the jury.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Too honest"????...probably more like too two-faced if you ask me. But I agree with you that the public electorate shall be jury, and me for one shall agitate for Yaw Shin Leong to be heckled, booed and jeered and hopefully he shall also lose his deposit as well. Vote for Yaw Shin Leong, why settle for the PAP wannabe 2nd best when you can get the genuine original PAP instead:rolleyes:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
why settle for the PAP wannabe 2nd best when you can get the genuine original PAP instead:rolleyes:

I feel "dishonest" is different from being "PAP wannabe", although I may not agree on either count.

I wouldn't vote a "PAP wannabe" (and to me, there are none at the moment) but I would vote YSL if I had a chance again :p

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Dishonest" describes the general nature of Yaw Shin Leong's character throughout this bloody farce episode of his from the time when it broke all the way through to his 'apology' which in effect amounted to a dishonest apology.

"PAP wannabe" on the otherhand describes Yaw Shin Leong's tickets on himself as a politician, I mean just reading his 'perspective apology' and what he told TNP's reporter...what kind of mumbo jumbo garbled shit was that?:rolleyes:

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps he was too honest, so honest that he revealed his vote. Anyway, hope he learnt his lesson. Forgiven or not? It's not up to me of course. The public is the jury.

Stupid is as stupid does. A blabber mouth too for that matter. Self revelation of personal choice do not point to honesty but an inherent flaw of character of one who as an opposition party member is supposed to offer an alternative choice for the people. It's as simple as that.

As had been suggested, he'll fit right into the mould of a MIW, except that they found him wanting as well! PTUI! :mad:

Last edited: