• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who will buy this car?

cockcansing

Alfrescian
Loyal
This car is costing $180k. If the gov is making an effort to go green, they are wasting their time. And where will these poor fellas gonna plug their car for recharging?

>> ASIAONE / MOTORING / OWNERS / BUYING GUIDE / STORY

Tue, Jan 05, 2010
Special Units Project

Living with an electric car

By Sheldon Trollope

MOTORISTS who lament rising petrol prices or are interested in doing their bit to curb climate change will have another way to keep driving without being a slave to the pump.

Arguably the most revolutionary and exciting development in transport is the Electric Vehicle Test Bedding Programme that will be carried out around September this year.

The programme, jointly headed by the Energy Market Authority (EMA) and Land Transport Authority (LTA) is set to kick off when the first units of the Mitsubishi i MiEV arrive in Singapore. Official importer Cycle & Carriage has signed a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) with the EMA and LTA to supply 50 units for the Test Bedding Programme. Renault and Nissan have also signed similar MOUs and are planning to launch their cars in 2011 and 2012 when production for their EVs begins.

As part of the three-year programme, the Electric Vehicles (EVs) used will be exempted from COE and other duties applied to normal cars. They will instead be levied under a scheme known as Transport Technology Innovation and Development Scheme (TIDES), where a Special Purpose Licence will be granted to each participating EV for a flat fee of $1,600 and it is valid for two years. Under TIDES, a Mitsubishi i-MiEV would cost around $99,000.

To qualify for TIDES, the EVs will have to be registered with government agencies or corporate entities.

Private individuals who want to own an i-MiEV would have to register their cars under the Green Vehicle Rebate. Such cars would sell for around $170,000 to $180,000 at current COE prices. One benefit of paying for the latter is that the owner is entitled to keep his car for the 10-year duration of the COE while the TIDES cars will be subjected to licence renewal after two years.

Without the Green Vehicle Rebate, the Mitsubishi i-MiEV would sell for over $200,000 with COE, and the standard duties apply.

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/Owners/Buying+Guide/Story/A1Story20100104-189634.html