• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who Watched Watchmen?

etherc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rorschach was vaporized by Dr Manhattan in the comic too, Rorschach yelled "Do it" both in the comic and the movie before the blood splatter. Just that in the movie NiteOwl was outside screaming while in the comic he was having sex with Silk Spectre. Rorschach had to die, otherwise the ending won't be congruent. I mean if you're anything as powerful as Dr Manhattan, you'll just vaporize this miserable bag of molecules who deals in absolutes and get on with the business of being a god to your own creations in a galaxy far far away.:biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh dear my memory is terrible, you are absolutely right:o Don't know why I always pictured Rorschach walking out into the snowy wilderness with Ozy saying "he shall never make it in this weather".

Anyways why do you think Zach and Hayter (script writer) changed Moore's ending of Watchmen? Also which do you think is a better ending?

Keen to hear your views on whether Watchmen should have been left alone because like Moore once said this comic book is "unfilmable". It was meant for one genre and one genre only, that of the comic book.

Rorschach was vaporized by Dr Manhattan in the comic too, Rorschach yelled "Do it" both in the comic and the movie before the blood splatter. Just that in the movie NiteOwl was outside screaming while in the comic he was having sex with Silk Spectre. Rorschach had to die, otherwise the ending won't be congruent. I mean if you're anything as powerful as Dr Manhattan, you'll just vaporize this miserable bag of molecules who deals in absolutes and get on with the business of being a god to your own creations in a galaxy far far away.:biggrin:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
WATCHMEN is the story quite synonymous to the SDP. they create a public mess and then shove the blame and try to play hero to rectify the mess.

they are in fact the "mess".

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyways why do you think Zach and Hayter (script writer) changed Moore's ending of Watchmen? Also which do you think is a better ending?

Keen to hear your views on whether Watchmen should have been left alone because like Moore once said this comic book is "unfilmable". It was meant for one genre and one genre only, that of the comic book.

Just watched the "Watchmen", the details and storyline followed very closely in the movie. The main characters seemed to come out of the comic! However had wished that more of the storyline could be added - will wait for director's cut.

One of the complex comic I ever read, glad that I finished the 12 books before I went to see the movie. Highly enjoyable, but can't stand Nixon's nose and Dr. Manhattan's circumcised blue bird :confused:.

As for the ending, both version are fine by me. However I felt that the comic version of having genetically engineered psychic monster is more scary rather than an explosion in the movie which the destruction is easy to make using CG.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well I gather Alan Moore thought Hayter's film script was perhaps as best as it could get to turn the comic book into a film, but like Moore also once said this comic book is "unfilmable" if you want to enjoy and savour the entire flavour and juice of Moore's Watchmen. Just too complex. Moore wanted to and did indeed try to deal with all sorts of dark issues that flow from human nature.

But I shall say this about Zach's movie, he did excel when it came to depicting the violence, brutality, unpleasantness and depravity of human nature which Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons (must give Gibbons credit for his lovely lush vibrant and symbolic artwork that has also stood the test of time 22 years on) aptly captured in the comic.

Oh and Moore's comic book ending made more sense to me, but then again I am biased in favour of Moore's comic book and proud to admit that fact:smile:

Btw any new fans drawn to Alan Moore's genius as a comic writer may also wish to check out Batman: The Killing Joke(DC Comics) (Probably the best Batman story I have ever read apart from Frank Miller's work) and of course V for Vendetta Also he take on Swamp Thing

Other groundbreaking comic booker writers are Frank Miller and what he did with Batman: The Dark Knight Returns in particular and say the Daredevil and Elecktra series. Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series is another example. Apparently Alan Moore even turned to Gaiman for some ideas while he was writing the Watchmen 12 series comic book.

Just watched the "Watchmen", the details and storyline followed very closely in the movie. The main characters seemed to come out of the comic! However had wished that more of the storyline could be added - will wait for director's cut.

One of the complex comic I ever read, glad that I finished the 12 books before I went to see the movie. Highly enjoyable, but can't stand Nixon's nose and Dr. Manhattan's circumcised blue bird :confused:.

As for the ending, both version are fine by me. However I felt that the comic version of having genetically engineered psychic monster is more scary rather than an explosion in the movie which the destruction is easy to make using CG.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finished the comic but don't really grasp those in-the-story-pirate-comics. Viewed it as a distraction.

This is what Zach's movie particularly failed to cover, but really not his fault as I think these aspects are "unfilmable".

Beyond that the intricate narrative, Moore and Gibbons offer two additional levels to the story. First, each chapter is followed by a "non-comic" section that develops more of the backstories, such as numerous excerpts from Hollis Mason's autobiography "Under the Hood" or Professor Mitlon Glass' "Dr. Manhattan: Super-Powers and the Superpowers," an interview with Adrian Veidt, or reports from the police files of Walter Joseph Kovacs. Second, almost every issue has scenes from "Tales of the Black Freighter," a comic-book being read by a kid near a newsstand, which offers an allegorical perspective on the main plot line

etherc

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the closing of both the comic and the film, it was a scene at New Frontiersman with Seymour reaching out towards the Crank Files which held Rorschach's journal. It's an open ended finish designed to pique the reader's imagination as to what the future holds. This is could be synonymous with what Dr Manhanttan said to Ozymandias "Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends." This refers to the repetitive cycle of destruction mankind will inflict upon itself once the fragile white lie of a common enemy is exposed.

It's all true. If we lived in a world without Katrinas and Sichuan earthquakes, our minds will be preoccupied with dominion over the less fortunate and the assertion of power be it mercenary, physical , psychological or political. Much as we like to hide behind our manners and civility, there are beasts dwelling within us held back by flimsy collars of religious and legal repercussions. Once loose we are pretty capable of annihilating ourselves. That's why we have the much revered term called Enlightenment.

I felt that the comic's giant psychic squid bomb was more suited to Ozymandias's modus operandi. It had a touch of class to it. Unfortunately the film dulled the intricacy by portraying it as some A bomb like explosion. To be fair, it will be hard to carry through with Moore's vision since its difficult to portray the effects of a psychic bomb. A Hiroshima like explosion simply resonates better with the viewer. Hence I say that the director Zack Synder did an admirable job of moving the comic to film. Incorporating The Tales of the Black Freighter parallels will probably cost the film some major box office. Omission of that was a good choice.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you do Prac Crit at school? A+ Bro:smile::cool:
At the closing of both the comic and the film, it was a scene at New Frontiersman with Seymour reaching out towards the Crank Files which held Rorschach's journal. It's an open ended finish designed to pique the reader's imagination as to what the future holds. This is could be synonymous with what Dr Manhanttan said to Ozymandias "Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends." This refers to the repetitive cycle of destruction mankind will inflict upon itself once the fragile white lie of a common enemy is exposed.

The human enigma perhaps? You know I read somewhere that some philosopher once said that if man ever attained utopia, man would then have become crazy. Some truth to that as well?

Oh and I recall watching an old Pinewood Studios horror film called "The Monster Club" where all forms of monsters like ghouls,ghosts, zombies, banshees, etc met at their own exclusive nightclub where they screened footage of human atrocities like the holocaust and hiroshima, thereafter the monsters came to the conclusion that the worst monsters of all were ironically not members of their club i.e. man
:wink:

It's all true. If we lived in a world without Katrinas and Sichuan earthquakes, our minds will be preoccupied with dominion over the less fortunate and the assertion of power be it mercenary, physical , psychological or political. Much as we like to hide behind our manners and civility, there are beasts dwelling within us held back by flimsy collars of religious and legal repercussions. Once loose we are pretty capable of annihilating ourselves. That's why we have the much revered term called Enlightenment.

Oh yes. Well I personally did not like the idea of 'Big Blue' being casted in such a light. But agree Zach did do as best a job as possible. But looks like the movie may still tank
I felt that the comic's giant psychic squid bomb was more suited to Ozymandias's modus operandi. It had a touch of class to it. Unfortunately the film dulled the intricacy by portraying it as some A bomb like explosion. To be fair, it will be hard to carry through with Moore's vision since its difficult to portray the effects of a psychic bomb. A Hiroshima like explosion simply resonates better with the viewer. Hence I say that the director Zack Synder did an admirable job of moving the comic to film. Incorporating The Tales of the Black Freighter parallels will probably cost the film some major box office. Omission of that was a good choice.