• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who Watched Watchmen?

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it worth watching?

Some negative reviews say it is a 3 hr snoozefest?

I liked V for Vendetta, so-so towards From Hell and so-so towards 300.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prefer for you to read the comic first, not the usual X-men, Fantastic 4 action-pack thingy. Rather talks about morailty of a super hero etc...

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I agree, read the comic book first, it is an all time classic, took comics to a whole different level. I still have 2 mint sets of the orginal 12 book series, must check on the value now with all the hype from the movie.:smile:

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal

If audience have a low intellectual capacity, low perception and makings of the world !

This show is diffinitely not for people with shallow grasp of the world !

This show is reflection of the dread and personification of mankind !

Imagine knowingly you going to pay $8 to catch a show and you allowed yourself to fall asleep while at it !

Certain shows you can skip and you know it's negative B-grade . Family oriented !

If you like 300, Sin City . This is the show for you !

Macheteposter.jpg

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Alan Moore's work are fantastic, if Hollywood screwed up on his work (which they have sodone more than once) that would be Hollywood's fault. This is for fans, Marvel/Darkhorse need not apply

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alan Moore's work are fantastic, if Hollywood screwed up on his work (which they have sodone more than once) that would be Hollywood's fault. This is for fans, Marvel/Darkhorse need not apply

Sounds like bureaucracy governmental red tape !

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have yet to see the film but I think it would be very difficult to capture the full impact and essence of Moore's writing into a condensed 2 hour plus film, to do Moore's masterpiece justice. Some novels/comics are perhaps just not meant to be made into films and Watchmen may be one of them. Saying that I gather from reviews and press junkets following this film that the director appears to have done a pretty good job all things considered. In any event I gather Moore actually told him "the novel is mine and the film is yours". Moore is truly a legend and genius when it comes to comics.

Anyone seen the film could you tell me how the beautiful creature Bubastis turned out on film? Also Nite Owl's cool mobile and Dr Manhattan's cool persona?

glock

Alfrescian
Loyal
i havent watch yet waiting to see if crowds still big

but SPG crowd must be queieing up to watch coz got big lan cheow to see , they cannot tahan must watch quickly

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently caught the flick.

The key characters have come out quite well, although the actor playing Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias should have been less puny and thin. Rosharch's mask was pretty cool changing shapes every now and then. So too Nite Owl's mobile "Archie". Dr. Mahanttan's blue dick was quite funny as well, so too Nixon's pinnochio nose:biggrin: However the creature Bubastis should have been more bulky and beautiful.

Now as for the storyline, the Director did quite a good job generally capturing Alan Moore's themes which are very complex and deep to condense into a 21/2 hour film, however he did miss out on the corresponding marooned sailor comic character theme which was read by the black kid on the street next to the newspaper street kiosk and the great philosopher references.

Oh and what sucked the most was that the Director changed the ending from Moore's original version, which was quite surprising since it could have been done on film. Quite strange.

All in, I strongly recommend people to read Alan Moore's original comic first before seeing the film.

lubehsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
there used to be one but he has passed on.now there s only the Prataman watching the watchmen and happily sharing the loot.:p

War Criminal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think 300 is so-so, be warned that Watchmen is more slow paced. Its 2 hours 40 mins long compared to 300's 2 hours!

Just the damn opening credits went on for like 10 or 15 minutes! It was good but it was a bad omen. I still cant get the song out of my head. It must have been looped over and over at least 3 times.

It is pretty interesting and a thinking man's show but I still find it is poorly paced.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
he did miss out on the corresponding marooned sailor comic character theme which was read by the black kid on the street next to the newspaper street kiosk and the great philosopher references.

Finished the comic but don't really grasp those in-the-story-pirate-comics. Viewed it as a distraction.

Rosharch's mask effects I think is from the motion comic created later by Dave Gibbins. Will want to watch the movie though after reading the comic.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it worth watching?

If you like V for Vendetta, you will like the Watchman. I read it since 1985when it first came out. The story was great!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it worth watching?

go watch the show. it's cheaper than buying or reading the comic.

if u think about the storyline with reference to SDP's insiduous plot, it seems very familiar:rolleyes:

etherc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Would say that its a well condensed film version of the graphic novel with some tweaks here and there. Alan Moore wasn't too elated about the director Zack Snyder tinkering with his magnum opus that he distanced himself from this film.

Pros:

Cinematography was good
Rorschach was a gripping character
Nice background scenes of Kennedy assassination by Comedian, Stalin and the Nixon nose was ROFL
Nice touch of cynism on the Doomsday clock, making it look so plastic and cheap.
Good use of the Smiley face to link things up
In depth look at the dysfunctional aspects in each of the Watchmen.
Carla Gugino.... she's hot.

Cons:

Where did the balls go? (Dr Manhattan) It felt strange having a near omniscient entity looking like a eunuch. Well maybe that was what the director wanted to portray about the sexlessness of a quantum aware superhero. Still it was slightly unnerving lol

Malin Ackerman(Silk Spectre) was Baad. Not convincing at all.

Was a little draggy at the start.

Ozymandias's Cat was purple and horrible......

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bob Dylan's great classic poetic lyrics and music (which was referred to in Alan Moore's comic). The opening montage also brought one back to the period in time in which the comic book was set.

As for "pace" of the film, if you have read the comic, you may realise how difficult it is to pick up the "pace" on film. All said and done this classic comic should perhaps never have been brought to film because of the complexity of the storyline. It is just not not your regular super hero action comic storyline.

If you think 300 is so-so, be warned that Watchmen is more slow paced. Its 2 hours 40 mins long compared to 300's 2 hours!

Just the damn opening credits went on for like 10 or 15 minutes! It was good but it was a bad omen. I still cant get the song out of my head. It must have been looped over and over at least 3 times.

It is pretty interesting and a thinking man's show but I still find it is poorly paced.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Complex bro, very complex. Also the background story with regards the orginal Watchmen in Hollis Mason's biography, that was pretty detailed in the comic but only mentioned in passing in the film.

There are lots of gems to slowly pick out from the comic. Take time to let things seep in and percolate. To this day I still find something new whenever I ever return to flip through my old yellow well worn and read 12 series original set and I have been reading this comic off and on since 1987. Blows my mind that more than 20 years on, there is still so much richness and vibrance that emanates from this comic with the issues being oh so true because human nature never changes.

Finished the comic but don't really grasp those in-the-story-pirate-comics. Viewed it as a distraction.

Rosharch's mask effects I think is from the motion comic created later by Dave Gibbins. Will want to watch the movie though after reading the comic.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do you think Zack changed the ending from the one in the comic? Uncalled for I should think. [Spoiler Alert!] Also in the comic, Rosharch was not obliterated by Dr Manhattan, he just went out into the freezing cold blizzard wilderness on his own not being able to accept what Adrian/Ozy had said, probably to die in the cold harsh conditions. Quite disappointed with the end of the film.

And yes, Zach did not do justice to Bubastis.

Would say that its a well condensed film version of the graphic novel with some tweaks here and there. Alan Moore wasn't too elated about the director Zack Snyder tinkering with his magnum opus that he distanced himself from this film.

Ozymandias's Cat was purple and horrible......

Last edited: