• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who rides a roadie, hybrid or mountain bike here

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell me about it Bro. First started noticing this about 10 years ago. Now you see them all over the place, highly mobile and very sporty. And they also got the gear for it.

And the money! Pinarellos with electronic brakes, etc.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see the conversions to slicks in couple of countries that I have been too. I got to try it.

I don't do trails actually, as i dislike m&d/sand/dirt on my bikes. The hardtail is on slicks, i use it for PCN or road only. It's the most comfortable ride of the 3.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never heard of electronic brakes but the Pinarellos are out there right on the top. Some of these buy things like they are visiting the supermarket and looking for the magic bike. Spoke to an old timer and he told me he has very little time and he can't take his wealth to the grave. In Singapore I see wheels ( really ex) getting changed a lot.

And the money! Pinarellos with electronic brakes, etc.

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see the conversions to slicks in couple of countries that I have been too. I got to try it.

I use slicks on my Ibis Ti Mojo - with the "handjob" brake cable guide. Very smooth ride; I don't do trails anymore. The joints can't take it la. This old frame can only take V brakes so it'll become a museum piece soon. Saving up for the Ibis Tranny 29. And will put slicks on it.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you buggers have been quietly enjoying life while Old Man was sweating for Singapore. Was not even aware that hardtails are popular here. I remember when I first started on my roadie, hardly anyone around except for some hardcore groups including one led by a lady.

One of my roadie is Ti as well.

Just saw the specs for your 29. Looks very serious bro. Gates are religious about who uses their belts and want the frame manufacturer to send the frame for testing. 29ers are in thing now. Slicks are so much better, rolling resistance wise.

I use slicks on my Ibis Ti Mojo - with the "handjob" brake cable guidIe. Very smooth ride; I don't do trails anymore. The joints can't take it la. This old frame can only take V brakes so it'll become a museum piece soon. Saving up for the Ibis Tranny 29. And will put slicks on it.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Welcome bro, Steel is making a comeback amongst Uni kids in the states and Uk. Thinner tubes have a strong appeal. By the way what is the avg gradient up Wulin?

And how come every other cyclists I speak to has a foldie in Singapore.

I ride a steel roadie and a foldie, make an annual effort travel to Taiwan to ride up Wulin.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing I learned over the years is that investing in good tyres with high TPI makes an enjoyable difference. The puncture resistance hype is not worth it in my experience. Anyway some of the higher TPI tyres do have a kevlar backing.

If you are doing road most of the time, it makes sense. Rolls better, less tiring. Averaging 25-28 km/hr is easy.

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you buggers have been quietly enjoying life while Old Man was sweating for Singapore. Was not even aware that hardtails are popular here. I remember when I first started on my roadie, hardly anyone around except for some hardcore groups including one led by a lady.

One of my roadie is Ti as well.

Just saw the specs for your 29. Looks very serious bro. Gates are religious about who uses their belts and want the frame manufacturer to send the frame for testing. 29ers are in thing now. Slicks are so much better, rolling resistance wise.

For my more leisurely rides where I often take photos at park connectors or along waterways, I use my Brompton. I have a little bag attached in front where I put all my barang barang.

amazonforest

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you bro. Wuling gradient ranging from 8% to 20%(steepest), some part of the road is crazily steep yet challenging. And the mountain view is superbly breathtaking.

Foldie is compact and convenient to travel around with.

Welcome bro, Steel is making a comeback amongst Uni kids in the states and Uk. Thinner tubes have a strong appeal. By the way what is the avg gradient up Wulin?

And how come every other cyclists I speak to has a foldie in Singapore.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
One thing I learned over the years is that investing in good tyres with high TPI makes an enjoyable difference. The puncture resistance hype is not worth it in my experience. Anyway some of the higher TPI tyres do have a kevlar backing.

Continental Gatorskins for training and GP4000s when you want to go fast. Nothing else comes close.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Never heard of electronic brakes but the Pinarellos are out there right on the top. Some of these buy things like they are visiting the supermarket and looking for the magic bike. Spoke to an old timer and he told me he has very little time and he can't take his wealth to the grave. In Singapore I see wheels ( really ex) getting changed a lot.

Apart from an ebike, I've yet to come across a brand or design that can help you go faster.

All a frame does is hold the wheels, pedals, handlebars and seat together so you can ride the damned thing.