• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where to get kuini fruit in Sg

PissNPiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is there anyway to buy kuini fruits in Sg?

I know kuini is part of mango family.

So i'm asking where can i can kuini and nothing else.

My colleague says even Tekka market did not sell. :(

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You mean buah guini...that looks like a mango, never turn yellow, very sour on the inside good for salads right?? Last week, I was browsing through the shops at Lucky Plaza, I saw some of them for sale, 4th floor, escalator up, turn right, past the shop that sells phones cards somewhere before the lift..look around they have them, that include something to dip in. I know this fruit, used to pluck them from the trees when I was young & mistook them for Mangoes..boy!, they are damn sour. The Peranakan's & Malays used them in their cooking & for salads as I had mentioned...I inquired.

Do not know if Tekka sells them, try Geylang Serai market...

PissNPiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean buah guini...that looks like a mango, never turn yellow, very sour on the inside good for salads right?? Last week, I was browsing through the shops at Lucky Plaza, I saw some of them for sale, 4th floor, escalator up, turn right, past the shop that sells phones cards somewhere before the lift..look around they have them, that include something to dip in. I know this fruit, used to pluck them from the trees when I was young & mistook them for Mangoes..boy!, they are damn sour. The Peranakan's & Malays used them in their cooking & for salads as I had mentioned...I inquired.

http://benardcometh.blogspot.sg/2008/08/buah-kuini-aka-kuini-fruit.html

I do not know Kuini till recently when my colleague gave me a slice and i'm astonished. It's better than mango and it's sweet!
She got it from her husband which his friend gave to him. It was then i started looking high and low and google for it.

Thank you for the info. I'll go to Lucky Plaza to try my luck, if not Geylang Serai market.

Thank you halsey02!

Love all the bros here!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://benardcometh.blogspot.sg/2008/08/buah-kuini-aka-kuini-fruit.html

I do not know Kuini till recently when my colleague gave me a slice and i'm astonished. It's better than mango and it's sweet!
She got it from her husband which his friend gave to him. It was then i started looking high and low and google for it.

Thank you for the info. I'll go to Lucky Plaza to try my luck, if not Geylang Serai market.

Thank you halsey02!

Love all the bros here!

You sure you got this right...the thing is damn sour, it is used in salads to counter certain fruits & in cooking as in something sour as in assam fish or?? or canned as in ajar!

This one ?? http://benardcometh.blogspot.sg/2008/08/buah-kuini-aka-kuini-fruit.html

Oh I have just asked, the ripe ones are sweet but generallly they are sour!, Last time, the stalls selling fruits will have them, you dip them into dark soy sauce with sliced red chillies. The younger generation I think do not know this fruit...used to be common in Singapore.

Last edited:

PissNPiss

Alfrescian
Loyal
You sure you got this right...the thing is damn sour, it is used in salads to counter certain fruits & in cooking as in something sour as in assam fish or?? or canned as in ajar!

This one ?? http://benardcometh.blogspot.sg/2008/08/buah-kuini-aka-kuini-fruit.html

Oh I have just asked, the ripe ones are sweet but generallly they are sour!, Last time, the stalls selling fruits will have them, you dip them into dark soy sauce with sliced red chillies. The younger generation I think do not know this fruit...used to be common in Singapore.

Based on my colleagues who know kuini, it's easy to get rotten and that could be the reason why it's not available in the supermarket and wet market due to storage problem. That's what they say and i do not know whether it's true.
I'll try to get it and verify. Once again, thanks.

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Can't remember where I bought it..but it is easy to spot a kuini by its smell..it's sweet smell is a giveaway..maybe can try fruit stall at any pasar

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ya, the aroma is stronger than the mango !

There are more mango trees than the Buah Kuini, the smell is very strong, that was what attracted me to them in the first place, when I was young. Mangoes have a different aroma when they are ripe i can identify the smell from the tree...this one, is different. It attracts a lot of fruit bats too & they help in the fertilization of the flowers. Nparks have not planted any, not that I have seen them, only the common round mangoes.

Now you mention it...I have not tasted that fruit for a very, very long time...next time I go Lucky Plaza I will buy some to eat.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
There used to be a very good Kuini tree near Stevens Road (actually in Stevens Close), where I had stolen many wonderful fruits in the late 1950s........ Wonder if it is still there ??

PissNPiss

Alfrescian
Loyal

I just came back from Lucky Plaza. I only saw the green mango in some shops, including the salons. There is no aroma.
Based on what i know, kuini do not have the curve, unlike the mango thot all belong to mango family.
Looks like Geylang Serai market is my last hope.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I just came back from Lucky Plaza. I only saw the green mango in some shops, including the salons. There is no aroma.
Based on what i know, kuini do not have the curve, unlike the mango thot all belong to mango family.
Looks like Geylang Serai market is my last hope.

Actually I did not check the fruit, only a glance, sorry,to make you do a trip there...I know what the Buah Kuini looks like. Why are you so interested in that fruit??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There used to be a very good Kuini tree near Stevens Road (actually in Stevens Close), where I had stolen many wonderful fruits in the late 1950s........ Wonder if it is still there ??

I know where there is kuini tree, this was in the 60's do not think the tree is there, same as the one you know...road widening, development..& so forth. I know where there is a good mata kuching tree too....unfortunately that gave way for a road...