• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where to buy reasonable-priced SEIKO watches?

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chucky, u still wearing this watch u bought in 1996?

I'm still wearing the watch I bought from city chain thailand in 1997. :smile:

Yeah, still wearing it, reliable watch doesn't cost you a bundle, as long as it can tell me the time that is what count.....:smile:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is the price for that watch?

Seiko actually puts many renowned Swiss manufacture to shame in terms of quality control and precision. Grand Seiko watches, for instance, are regulated to a tighter standard than Swiss COSC chronometers, and are more finely finished than Rolex, IWC or Panerai.

And Seiko is one of the very few—if not the only—manufacturers that make every single component in-house, including screws, dials, hands, markers and straps. Even Rolex and Patek Philippe can't make the same claim.

The only drawback is that Seiko designs are generally very conservative, and are by and large copies of classic Swiss—mainly Rolex—designs.

But the Spring Drive marked the advent of a truly revolutionary epoch in watch manufacture and timekeeping, and it rightly stunned the horological world at the 2005 BaselWorld. This was followed up last year by the launch of the Spring Drive minute repeater at the same fair to much acclaim.

The Spring Drive is only available from Thong Sia, I believe.

SBGC005-L.jpg
img_chronograph.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What is the price for that watch?

SBGC005 is a beast made from titanium and gold. A very popular chronograph GS. If you can find in Singapore it should go for around 10k-12k. I've seen one in Bangkok going for 280,000 baht, pretty good price considering Thailand's hig tax on luxury. I'm into the classic range, feels retro sometimes like the Toyota Century.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Talking about watch reminded me of drifter who is highly knowledgeable in this field. Have not seen him for a while.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
14k for Grand seiko...worth it or not eh ?..does it have value...?

I think people who buy such watches don't worry about resale value, more like lifestyle and interest in performance same same Lexus.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Dunno whether the price listed is RRP or net...most likely rrp...maybe can knock off another 10-20% for actual retail price...moi oso wearing a Seiko limited edition...and rotate with Luminox when wearing jean...:biggrin:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

After my teenage years, I have lost touch with prices and value of watches.
In those days, a stainless steel Rolex (if my memory serves me well, Model 2669 or 6694) was SGD$269 (in 1970 to 1973?)

It could be that the SEIKO Grand does not have a resale market, vis-a-vis used Rolex watches.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It is cheaper there in Bangkok. .?

Well I had shown the prices. For tourists can still knock off another 6% (VAT is 7% by the time you pay admin take away 1%).

I would prefer to buy in Singapore and try to bargain from the watch shop however I understand that GS is only sold in certain appointed shops. But then can ask your regular shop to help you get from the appointed shops, if you are his regular customer he will make less money and give you more discount. This is what I normally do with my regular watch shop.