• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What to do with a USD cheque?

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Need advice from bros ...

I did some overseas investment and now received my earnings. Citibank in US sent me a cheque in US dollar. Can I deposit the cheque into my DBS SGD saving account?

Or do I have to open a USD account somewhere?

Thanks for advising ...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Or do I have to open a USD account somewhere?

Thanks for advising ...

If you want to keep the currency in USD, you have to open a USD account.

If you're not interested in holding money in a different currency, you can simply deposit it in your SGD bank account. The bank will buy the cheque at the prevailing rate.

The rate is usually slightly better than the rate for buying cash. Check with your bank.

Jimmy1978

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was looking at POSB foreign exchange rate chart, USD to SGD is at 1.2351 which means you'll get 23 cents on the dollar assuming your amount is less than S$50K. I would recommend that if you don't need that money, to keep it in a USD account first then when the dollar rises (eventually), then cash in and get more money in SGD.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think if its an outstation cheque, the banks (both local and overseas) will charge a fee and it takes a long time to clear. Check with your bank.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cunnilaubu said:
I think if its an outstation cheque, the banks (both local and overseas) will charge a fee and it takes a long time to clear. Check with your bank.

Yes outstation USD cheques take a long time to clear, something like 2 to 3 weeks.