• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is that fish called ?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to makan this dish called 'soon hock' in crystal jade. But I don't know the proper name in Chinese and English. Now that I'm overseas, I asked for soon hock nobody knows WTF I'm referring to.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Marble Goby. Teochew - Gao Bor (mother dog?). Where are you, this fish is native only to South-East Asia.

It's my favourite freshwater fish.

Cheers!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's call ikan katutu in Behasa or Sun Ke Yu (笋壳鱼). Don't think PRC/ROC got this fish.

Thai is call Bu Saai.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wish to add some personal experience with this fish (other than eating at restaurant.)

In the seventies, I joined my classmate pond fishing at tampines a couple of weekends - and caught zilch (those days, we were going for grass carp and big-head carp). After a string of empty weekends, coming back Sunday morning, my dad told me to stop wasting my time and he'll take me fishing as soon as he talks to "Uncle Koh." As it turns out, Uncle Koh was an old time crony of my daddy and agreed to take me fishing. Of all the place, it turned out to be Seletar Reservoir!!! So we went to poach fish and within an hour, we filled a bucket full of Soon-Hocks. Then we went home. Todate, that was the MOST productive fishing trip in my entire life!

Cheers!

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where are you, this fish is native only to South-East Asia.

Cheers!

taiwannext02.jpg

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Got Thai spelling or not ?
It's ปลาบู่ทราย. Actually saai means sand. Literally, it means sand fish. Just call Pla Saai. Think you can only get it in a few restaurant in BKK. Somboon@Ratchada should have this.

Just tell them in Hokkien Soon Hock and they will know.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BTW, it's not so popular in LOS because it is expensive. Most are exported. Issan people confirm don't eat this fish. Northern, I don't know. Became popular due to request by SG/MY diners in BKK.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It can be found in southern China and Taiwan. It's found around mangrove and bamboo swams and streams. That's why it's call Soon Hock, meaning luck of the bamboo. It's found even more abundantly in SEA countries as Chinese migrated southward in masses and became a traditional Chinese seafood dish. There's no real English or western name for it except the closest being Moby since it's never found in the west.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's another type of fish unwanted by Cambodians in Cambodia but desired by locals here. Anyone knows what fish?

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Soon hock aka freshwater grouper...sweet n soft meat, best is "oil-steamed" or "teochew steamed"!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's another type of fish unwanted by Cambodians in Cambodia but desired by locals here. Anyone knows what fish?
Bro GD, I only know fish that local SG don't desire but desire by Siam Kia. It's Tilapia aka Jit Poon Hee or Pla Nin in Thai.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Its a wonder.

People in this forum is experts in cars, travel, animals, gangs, aeroplanes, martial arts, food etc etc etc and now fish. What the fish! This is a damn good forum.