• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What is a sinkie? Pls clear my doubts

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time and time again, i encounter the word "Sinkie" in this forum. Does it refer to Singaporeans? Why do you call Singaporeans a sinkie?

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
as far as i know, it started when we call hongkongers, hongkies; and then somehow, s'poreans became known as sinkies.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it has something to do with the sinking of sg.

long-form.png

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does that mean Sinkies cause the sinking of sg?
with only a few feet of elevation off sea level, it’s only a matter of time that reclaimed lands will be reclaimed (no pun intended) by the sea. nothing to do with humans or sinkies for that matter, it has more to do with earth’s geologic cyclical changes. do you know that earth’s magnetic polarity flips frequently over eons of time? evidence of every flip can be found on the oceans’ floor.
SPacmagneticanomalies.jpg

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does that mean Sinkies cause the sinking of sg?

The word 'Sinkie' refers to two types of 'sinking':

1. The metaphoric 'sinking' of Singapore caused by the PAP and the 70% that support it
2. The literal 'sinking' of Singapore caused by climate change.

Sinkies are largely responsible for the former; can do little (even this little most are blithely ignorant of) about the latter.

How ever you look at it, 'Sinkie' is a very apt term to describe Singaporeans.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
The word 'Sinkie' refers to two types of 'sinking':

1. The metaphoric 'sinking' of Singapore caused by the PAP and the 70% that support it
2. The literal 'sinking' of Singapore caused by climate change.

Sinkies are largely responsible for the former; can do little (even this little most are blithely ignorant of) about the latter.

How ever you look at it, 'Sinkie' is a very apt term to describe Singaporeans.

It looks like the term" sinkie" is used like a cultural thing in this forum.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did a google search on the term "sinkie" and there are several sites describing the term.

In Quora site: https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-word-Sinkie-mean-in-Singapore

What does the word "sinkie" means in Singapore?

It’s probably meant as a derogatory term to mean “Singaporeans”.

Don’t know how it started, don’t know who made it up and why he had so much time on his hands. It can’t possibly be a “she” because women aren’t that boliao.

Most importantly, if it was meant as a derogatory term, how is it actually derogatory?

It is usually a derogatory term to refer to Singaporeans! No one really knows who originated the term, but it could mean 2 possible reasons:

1. A general ‘sinking’ feeling of unease that pervades many Singaporeans due to job insecurity etc
  2. A reference to the ‘sinking ship’ that detractors believe Singapore to be as a country!

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/2013/03/sinkie-or-singaporean-or-simpler-term.html

Sinkie or Singaporean or a simpler term

When I used the term Sinkie to refer to Singaporean, it was more or a convenience without any negative connotations. Over time the term Sinkie has becoming more meaningful and prophetic. Many Sinkies or Singaporeans are having this sinking feeling and feeling very unease about it.

Many Sinkies would not mind using this term in its most innocent sense. I also notice that some feel very offended by it and get very heated under the collar. They all prefer to be addressed as Singaporeans. I must say that for Sinkies to want to be called Singaporeans is a good thing. There is still pride and identity left in this diminishing specie. Those abroad, some taken up PRs or foreign citizenships, still feel very Singaporean in them. You can take away his citizenship but you cannot take away their Singaporeaness, of having been a Singaporean.

Would Singaporean be a dying breed just like the peranakans? I will henceforth, in due respect to those Singaporeans who just want to be called Singaporeans, to avoid using the term Sinkie. I will have to find a shorter version to type.

There is still hope that the identity of true blue Singaporeans may survive the current crisis it is going through. Only when Singaporeans want to be Singaporeans, to want to maintain this unique identity in us, not some international citizen label or hotel guests that can go any where they like, will this Singaporean identity continue to exist in the form that we know, a kind of special feeling. But it is a losing battle if we are to constantly dilute it with more and more foreigners that are quite different from us. Another 1.6m is going to do more damage not just the characteristics of being a Singaporean, but we will become more like them, another new concoction, another rojak in the making.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is one which comes from this forum ( i goggle it too). It has a whole list of sinkie behaviour by a nick named "bodycells"
https://www.sammyboy.com/threads/what-is-sinkie-behavior.78032/page-3

I cut and paste a few of the points here:

5. A sinkie is one go over to malaysia and other developing countries and look down on them and talk loudly at them and say things that lower them without any consideration at all. However, when their own govt ( PAP) ask them to bend down for them, they do so fearfully. what a loser.

6. A sinkie is one who cannot stand the success of others and try ways and means to talk and insult others down even if those are his friends.

7. A sinkie is always jealous of the success of others because it means their own ego is threatened.

8. A sinkie is one who does not have much education and yet like to show off to others how knowledgeable he is. I cannot see anyone go lower than that.

So there is such a thing as sinkie behaviour and unsinkified. LOL.

Can it be suffice to say that "Sinkie" is a person who has sinkie behaviour and it is considered a Singaporean who is less evolved as a human being? This is the most apt and closest description that i can come up with on the term "Sinkie".

It is quite similar to China people who are ungracious and urinate and shit in the public.

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
The simplest answer : a person who has undergone and completed the sinkification process.

Scared of govt
Scared of wife
Scared of losing
Scared of not having
Scared to die

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
The simplest answer : a person who has undergone and completed the sinkification process.

Scared of govt
Scared of wife
Scared of losing
Scared of not having
Scared to die

So kiasu and kiasi is also a sinkie behaviour? If there is a sinkification and is there an Unsinkification too?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scared of govt
Scared of wife
Scared of losing
Scared of not having
Scared to die

Yes this sums up traits of a sinkie.
They are the losers that make up the 70% that voted for pap.
They are those brainwashed by pappy propaganda.

Engeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies are shameless balless people blind to injustice of fellow citizen - or even participate in the injustice themselves - and yet no shame to complain PAP injustice non-stop. A HDB or JB house is enough to ransom away their conscience and turn a blind eye to injustice.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A sinkie is a patriot to Singapore, votes for PAP and treats the late Ah Gong as his role model.

Chong_Kung.jpg

20150325_lky_th28_read-only.jpg

images

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sinkie is a loser always
uncouth uncultured unkind
undressed most of the time
just like around this forum
all uncouth sinkies sinking to the bottom

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sinkies are getting more and more impossible
more and more ugly in manners and physique
what's wrong with our people.....where are the beautiful people of the past???