• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What does this sort of news say about India?

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
760x.jpg

Indian children play behind a Commonwealth Games billboard set up to cover a slum from view near main Games venue the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi on September 29, 2010.​

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the best place is Goa. Many foreign tourists go there. I have been to Kolkata, Chennai, Pondichery and Hyderabad and the best is Hyderabad and the worst is Kolkata. Kolkata was built by the British and used to be the capital of British India but the communist government there mess up everything.
Hyderabad looks promising, the rest is like a mess.

Hyderabad promising? lol

While I was there, the traffic was super chaotic to say the least. I pass about 10 traffic lights between the Airport to my hotel in downtown Hyderabad, all except one does not work. The one that works, no one follows it. And see my post below

I have not been to Kolkata, I can't even begin to imagine how bad that must have been if U consider that bad :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BTW did U try Hyderabad Briyani while you were there? That's where the famous dish originated

Most of them don't really have a choice. Although India is well known country as far as IT is concern, the IT infrastructure there is actually pretty pathetic. The "IT Cities", areas built specifically for IT Companies are pretty ok, the infrastructure in most major cities are still very lousy.

U'd think Broadband is a basic requirement for cities with those "IT cities" but even in Hyderabad the 2nd most developed IT city behind Bangalore, the IT Infrastucture outside of their "HITEC City" is pretty pathetic.

Just to give U an example, my company setup an office in Hyderabad 2 years back. When I tried to source for broadband plans like lease line or ADSL, we realize that it doesn't exist. The reason being the office building is too close to the state governor's house and they are not allowed to dig the roads there to lay cables. Yeah, WTF!!!! Luckily we had another company in the same building that paid one of the ISP money to set up WIMAX infrastructure so we were able to use that.

For the majority of users in Hyderabad, ADSL at home is not even an option. They either go to the Cybercafe or use a 3G card. And we're only talking about Hyderabad which is classified as an A-1(top tier) city in India. The lower tier cities are worse off!!!!!

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: oh the rainbow made the collapse bridge - aka combat engineer bridge look so much

This is Singapore's last Baily standing at School of Combat Engineer as a monument. Picture taken in '87 the morning after we built it :

lol Old bird. Respect. I was won't even be in the army until a decade plus later :wink::wink::wink:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
x760.jpg

A security officer on guard at the Commonwealth Games athletes' village, in New Delhi, India, Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2010​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
760x.jpg

Australian athletes look at Indian souvenirs at the Commonwealth Games village in New Delhi on September 29, 2010.​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
740x.jpg

England squash player James Willstrop gets a head massage at the Commonwealth Games village in New Delhi on September 29, 2010.​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
740x.jpg

Kathryn Marsh Scottish athlete tries on atradional cap from Indian State of Himachal Pradesh at the Commonwealth Games village in New Delhi on September 29, 2010.​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
740x.jpg

Pakistan Commonwealth Games team members arrive at Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi on September 29, 2010.​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
x730.jpg

Members of Australian synchronized swimming team strike a pose for a photographer at the Commonwealth games village in New Delhi on September 29, 2010.​

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
760x.jpg

Welsh athlete Ella Rafferty (2L) strikes a pose with Indian performers after the flag hoisting cermony of team Wales at the Commonwealth games village in New Delhi on September 29, 2010.​

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't comment on those cities since I've only been to Hyderabad, Delhi, Nagpur, Katni, Agra and Butibori. I'm planning to go to Mumbai and Jaipur the next time I'm there.

Haven't been to the slums but Delhi(and I heard the same of Mumbai) isnt as bad when compared to just about everywhere else in India. As far as I can tell, the city itself isn't half bad, just think of it as a lot less developed but infinite more chaotic version of Bangkok. Every other city though is a complete mess.

wtf!!! alot less developed but INFINITELY more chaotic than BKK and that's not half bad? :eek:

That's actually better than a lot of other cities.

I'm at a loss for words..........

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
730x.jpg

An athlete trains at the Commonwealth Games village as smoke rises in the background from fumigation in New Delhi on September 29, 2010.

750x.jpg

Athletes practice as thick white smoke of fumigation is seen floating in middle at the Commonwealth Games village, in New Delhi, India, Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2010.​

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those Nagaland police look very Chinese.

How come got no protesters say animal cruelty when see picture of the languar monkey on leash? Is there a india "shit bridgade" collect the shit from the monkey?

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nagaland-location-map.gif

Nagaland, a small state of India, population of 2 millions and 90% are Christians.

610x.jpg

Nagaland School students .

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wtf!!! alot less developed but INFINITELY more chaotic than BKK and that's not half bad? :eek:

That's actually better than a lot of other cities.

I'm at a loss for words..........

Actually If I compare it to every other Indian City I've been to, yeah its not half bad

Pic of Delhi traffic chaos. No proper lanes to speak of, they just drive wherever they like

Attachments

• DSC07195.JPG
    DSC07195.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC07135.JPG
    DSC07135.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 80

FuzzyDude

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: oh the rainbow made the collapse bridge - aka combat engineer bridge look so much

This is Singapore's last Baily standing at School of Combat Engineer as a monument. Picture taken in '87 the morning after we built it :

olbaily2.jpg

Wow, fellow pioneer ...... SOCE at Jurong camp ? that building behind the bridge is the cookhouse ?
They don't do bridges by hand anymore. Last I heard, bridging nowadays is done by some kind of hydraulic mechanise type of thing.

2...3.....4....... up ah !!! *LOL*
Great Picture, thanks for the memories.......

simpsons

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hyderabad promising? lol

While I was there, the traffic was super chaotic to say the least. I pass about 10 traffic lights between the Airport to my hotel in downtown Hyderabad, all except one does not work. The one that works, no one follows it. And see my post below

I have not been to Kolkata, I can't even begin to imagine how bad that must have been if U consider that bad :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BTW did U try Hyderabad Briyani while you were there? That's where the famous dish originated

Well, I guess I only saw the best part of it. I got no chance to go downtown. They got a huge modern airport, a brand new convention center and a 5star hotel next to it. And of course a decent road linking them. The cyber city where IT firms located was around there. Foreigners can go there on a business trip without seeing much the messy part of the city. From the top of a mountain, I could see the city is full of low-rise buildings except some highrises under construction in the middle.

Some things unique to India that I notice (I haven't been to Mumbai or Delhi, I heard they are better):
_ People are everywhere. They walk on the street, do business on the sidewalk, sleep outside the buildings... I think they can't keep an order because there are too many ppl.
_ All the girls wear sari
_ The traffic is chaotic and dangerous
_ Men like to pee on streets
_ Contrast between rich and poor. You can see a nice shopping mall located in the middle of slums.

Kolkata is hopeless. The beggers were waiting outside the airport for foreign travellers. One porter appeared to be very nice carrying my luggages but he asked for money later. I went to a university's toilet and it's like a moment in fear factor

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well, I guess I only saw the best part of it. I got no chance to go downtown. They got a huge modern airport, a brand new convention center and a 5star hotel next to it. And of course a decent road linking them. The cyber city where IT firms located was around there. Foreigners can go there on a business trip without seeing much the messy part of the city. From the top of a mountain, I could see the city is full of low-rise buildings except some highrises under construction in the middle.

Some things unique to India that I notice (I haven't been to Mumbai or Delhi, I heard they are better):
_ People are everywhere. They walk on the street, do business on the sidewalk, sleep outside the buildings... I think they can't keep an order because there are too many ppl.
_ All the girls wear sari
_ The traffic is chaotic and dangerous
_ Men like to pee on streets
_ Contrast between rich and poor. You can see a nice shopping mall located in the middle of slums.

Kolkata is hopeless. The beggers were waiting outside the airport for foreign travellers. One porter appeared to be very nice carrying my luggages but he asked for money later. I went to a university's toilet and it's like a moment in fear factor

U were lucky U only saw the brand new Airport. First time I visited the place, they were still using the old one. The difference between the 2 is like heaven and earth.

And whatever U just mentioned about Kolkata can actually be applied to Hyderabad.

I took this photo in Hyderabad. Basically pple just pitch tents and whole families will leave by the side of busy roads. U can also see men peeing by the side of busy streets everywhere

Attachments

• DSC01927.JPG
    DSC01927.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 101

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those Nagaland police look very Chinese.

How come got no protesters say animal cruelty when see picture of the languar monkey on leash? Is there a india "shit bridgade" collect the shit from the monkey?

I wonder what those nagaland ppl speak. Without checking out wiki. I guess it's some sort of keling language similar to nepalese.

okay i checked on wiki. Seems like the various naga tribes do not even understand each other cos each of them have their own language mutually unintelligable. They speak a creole called nagamese to communicate with other nagas not from their tribe. Interesting, look east asian but belong to a very small minority group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagamese