• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

We may have an ASO for next Jap PM

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will it change things in Japan and around the world? Pls anal-yse :wink:

Aso ready to be PM
Favoured to win LDP presidency, he declares himself eligible for Japan's top job
By Kwan Weng Kin, Japan Correspondent

LDP secretary-general Taro Aso has support from within the party as well as its coalition partner, putting him in line to be Japan's next premier following Mr Fukuda's resignation. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

TOKYO: Former foreign minister Taro Aso yesterday signalled his intention to run for the presidency of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), following Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda's sudden decision to quit his post.
The president of the LDP is virtually assured of becoming the country's prime minister because of the party's majority in the Lower House.

Mr Aso, who is currently secretary-general of the LDP and considered the odds-on favourite to win the party presidency, told reporters yesterday he felt he was eligible to succeed Mr Fukuda.

'I have consulted closely with the Prime Minister on many key policy issues, including an emergency stimulus package, and this qualifies me to take over (as prime minister),' Mr Aso said.

He also indicated that he had his own vision for Japan and would like to see it realised. 'Besides continuing what Mr Fukuda was unable to do, there are also things that I myself must do and I want to carry them out,' said the veteran politician.

He denied reports that when Mr Fukuda appointed him party secretary-general last month, the two men made a deal whereby Mr Aso would become the next prime minister when Mr Fukuda relinquished the post.

The small LDP faction headed by Mr Aso yesterday voiced support for the 67-year-old politician in the LDP presidential election, which is slated to kick off on Sept 10.

Voting will take place on Sept 22.

Mr Aso is also expected to receive the support of several other LDP factions as well as the party's coalition partner, the Komeito.

Mr Fukuda has called on the LDP to conduct an election with multiple candidates, to distinguish its presidential race from that of its rival, the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ). DPJ leader Ichiro Ozawa is expected to be elected without a fight to a third term on Sept 21, one day before the LDP election.

Observers said that the LDP's election dates appear designed to draw media attention away from the DPJ.

Though no other LDP politicians have so far placed their hats in the ring, likely contenders for the LDP presidency include Economic and Fiscal Policy Minister Kaoru Yosano, former defence minister Yuriko Koike and Consumer Affairs Minister Seiko Noda.

'Japan is in crisis now, and I would like to share this sense of crisis with everyone,' said Ms Koike, who yesterday held talks with LDP stalwart Hidenao Nakagawa, presumably to discuss her chances of winning.

The LDP is expected to conduct a high-profile election, not only to give maximum exposure to the party's future leader and policies, but also to blot out the DPJ.

Yesterday, executives of the DPJ met at its party headquarters to speed up preparations for a possible early general election. Mr Fukuda's sudden resignation is widely seen in political circles as paving the way for a new LDP president to lead the party into a general election soon.

A general election has to be held no later than September next year.

If Mr Aso, who is more popular than Mr Fukuda, becomes the new LDP president, it is likely to oblige the DPJ to rethink its strategy of using its control of the Upper House to block government Bills and force the prime minister to dissolve the Lower House.

Yesterday, Mr Fukuda's resignation apparently failed to assure investors.

The Nikkei stock index closed at 12,609.47 points, down 224.71 points from the previous day.

But manga and anime-related stocks reportedly saw a rush of orders on the news that the manga-loving Mr Aso was likely to become Japan's next premier.

[email protected]