• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

We Are Also Not Stupid.. OK ?

peppyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reduce the number of COE? :biggrin:

Bro,

You may be right..

But I reckon they could just follow the simple equation of:

1 car scrapped, 1 new car in. At least basically the car population will remain the same. But that Marbok Tan said we have more roads built and we can accomodate more cars. Not all cars will be on the road at any one time..

Somebody, or Murphy's Law should prove him wrong that "if anything can go wrong, it will go wrong".

peppyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
The strategy is not to restrict ownership but curb usage to free congestion at peak periods..:cool: Collect...lower taxes still better than no taxes.....:(

Bro,

Ideally, it sounds good..

But we all know don't we, that ownership means $$ to govt. Whether we use our cars or not, we still have to pay taxes.

As for curbing usage of cars, who can guarantee that not all cars or most cars will be on the road at any one particular day or time. He is just taking a gamble..

Cheers!

hungary fighter

Alfrescian
Loyal
a few collegues of mine has try taking the public transport while their cars r send 4 servicing.....their verdict is unless they lose their jobs.....no way r they going give up their cars 4 the public transport......just show how bad our transport system is......

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the problems is, after waiting for a long time and no bus, then two buses of same number arrive at the same time. The driver (captain) concerned should be held responsible for this. Usually, it's the first bus that got slowed down along the route by picking up and packing in excessive passengers like sardines, then the second bus behind cruise along fine and fast half empty. The captain should abide by safety laws of passenger limits. When it's full, don't allow any more passengers in. Passengers should also understand this. Wait for the next bus, it's likely to be sooner than expected if the front bus has been fully or excessively packed.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another problem is with taxis. Trying to catch one between 11p.m. and 12a.m. can get worse than trying to catch a fish in a swimming pool.

I'd suggest abolishing the midnight surcharge. US taxis don't have midnight surcharge. Won't that discourage and reduce the number of midnight cabbies? How do they manage it? Simple. Increase daytime rentals and fares, so that fares remain the same over 24 hours, but cabbies on midnight shift pay less rentals. Increase in daytime fares would also have the effect of encouraging more people to take buses and trains, unless it's necessary or urgent enough to take a taxi. The cabbies on regular shifts before midnight would make up their fewer trips with higher fares, more or less balancing out the income equation.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think with the completion of the circle line and the future bukit timah line, public transport will be more accessible and more pple will make the switch

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... I'd suggest abolishing the midnight surcharge ...

i'd agree with the abolishment of the midnight surcharges, but to increase the day-time rentals would cut the income of the cabbies by quite a fair bit, don't you think?