• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ways to prevent cancer, diabetes, heart attack when you get older

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ways to prevent cancer, diabetes, heart attack when you get older, please watch this and decide if you want to do it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer

Traveling to America to lose weight may strike some as highly ironic, but health guinea pig Michael Mosley thought it a capital idea when embarking on his latest quest.

Mosley began this programme by stating he was about to lay out a ‘genuinely revolutionary’ approach to dieting which could not only shed pounds but also extend our brief existence.

Any time anyone states this with the same conviction as Mosley, the sceptical half of one’s brain should begin to purr – switch over your TV to any shopping channel and see the assorted tat masquerading as ‘genuinely revolutionary’ ideas and you’ll catch my drift.

However, as Mosley was not trying to sell me a swivel mounted giraffe tongue for cleaning the toilet, I decided to give him a chance.

Putting his body on the line for TV is nothing new; he most recently shoved a camera into his intestines warning of the dangers hiding past our colons.

This time the 55-year-old travelled across the most obese nation on earth and met scientists looking to combat flab and ill-health by various forms of fasting – he would of course try the approach himself.

The scientists’ techniques and research revolved around the notion fasting could reduce a person’s weight.

Not quite the revolution I had hoped for, but again I beat down my sceptical self and kept watching.

Mosley visited three scientists spread across the US, and each one offered up various evidence of how dieting and fasting affects the body.

Most interesting was the explanation of the IGF-1 hormone produced by the liver. If people eat vast amounts of protein, IGF-1 begins to develop lots of new cells leading to an increased chance of a person contracting several forms of cancer and a number of other nasty diseases.

Research has shown that when the amount of protein eaten is lowered, the liver stops producing vast quantities of IGF-1 and the body begins to repair.

Mosley was tested and informed viewers with appropriate brevity he was overweight, had 27 per cent body fat, high levels of IGF-1, as well as high cholesterol and blood sugar levels.

According to scientists this dire situation could be remedied by fasting which causes the body to feast on fat reserves and stops IGF-1 from being produced. Backed up with a low calorie diet, Mosley would be back on the path to a healthy future.

More remarkably scientists testing fasting on mice genetically engineered to develop Alzheimer’s showed in controlled experiments how their brains actually held off the disease for longer. The mice even began to develop new brain cells. This for me was the highlight of the whole programme.

After subjecting himself to various forms of fasting Mosley settled on a five week plan in which he would spend two days a week fasting (consuming less than 600 calories) and five days eating normally.

At the conclusion, Mosley had lost almost a stone, reduced his body fat, cholesterol, and blood sugar level. He also halved the amount of IGF-1 in his system. For him incorporating fasting and dieting into our lives could neutralize the ‘obesity bombshell’ exploding across western society.

It could also in the future be used to ward off the advance of Alzheimer’s and dementia.

However, despite the interesting science, the ultimate message was ‘eat healthy food, lower your calorie intake, exercise and weave in an occasional fast day. Do this and you will become thin and healthy’.

I’m not a scientist but I already knew all of this. Most people do. It’s not a secret nor, I’m afraid, a revolution.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last night's viewing - Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer, BBC2; Jimmy's Forest, More4

Michael Mosley has been making quite a nice living out of trying to live longer just recently. Not very long ago, he did a Horizon on exercise, exploring recent research that suggested that you could reduce the amount of exercise you need to do to stay fit and healthy to just three minutes of flat-out effort a week. He rather hinted that he would be taking up this new regime, but here he was in Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer presenting himself as a man still in need of some kind of lifestyle miracle.

What happened to the high-intensity training, Michael? Anyway, the good news is that he seems convinced he's found an alternative shortcut to rejuvenation. "This is the beginning of something that I think could be huge," he said at the beginning of the programme. "This could be genuinely revolutionary."

The bad news is that it involves fairly serious self-denial, though it was one encouraging feature of last night's film that the badness of the news gradually diminished as it went on. The heart of the matter is that we're digging our graves with our knives and forks, a truth so unrevolutionary that it's had proverbial expression for centuries. It's long been known that a restricted calorie diet will probably extend your lifespan, the only problem being that you spend most of your extra time on Earth fantasising about your next meagre meal. What Mosley was claiming is that there might be a way for us to eat as much as we want most of the time as long as we take a break from the gourmandising now and then.

The problem, it seems, is a hormone called IGF1, produced by the body when it thinks it has the resources to put on a growth spurt. Since most affluent Western types always have enough resources for a growth spurt, our levels of IGF1 are consistently high, which isn't great because it's also associated with cancer and diabetes. Mosley's first stab at tinkering with his blood chemistry involved a three-and-half-day fast, during which he was allowed only water, black tea and 50-calorie instant soup per day. It worked, sort of. "Just a few days' fasting has made my body decades younger," said Mosley, ridiculously. But his glucose and IGF1 levels were much healthier. Unfortunately, four-day fasts once a month require levels of willpower not often found outside Olympians.

Fortunately, someone in Chicago had worked out that you can get a similar benefit by alternating feast and famine in what they call intermittent energy restriction. On one day, you restrict yourself to a single 700-calorie meal. The next day, it's cheeseburgers à gogo. Even better, it seems to work on a 5:2 split so that only two days out of every week are spent gnawing your fingernails and thinking obsessively about buttered toast. Mosley tried it for five weeks and was startled by the improvements in his blood chemistry. Scientifically, this proved what I have long suspected – that an attendant television crew is one of the most powerful aides to willpower in existence. As for the fasting regime, I'd like a bit more evidence. But Mosley himself was certainly persuaded: "The most interesting journey/film/whatever you call it that I have been on," he concluded pensively. "And I've never said that before."

Jimmy Doherty is pursuing a different route to rejuvenation in Jimmy's Forest, by behaving like a big kid, something he does with a fair degree of charm. "All of a sudden, I'm 12 again," he said happily, showing us round the treehouse laboratory in which he does a lot of purposeful messing around, dissecting woodpecker skulls to reveal why they don't knock themselves unconscious or extracting carotenoids from mashed-up caterpillars to make woodland cupcakes. The badger ham wasn't a success ("There's a funny aftertaste"), but the programme itself is just what your inner child ordered.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eat less sugar, artifical sugar and sugar sustitute!
This include keeping servings of fruit to 2 per day :smile:

DroppingHeehaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fasting is not for everyone, though. There's also another way to keep an exercise lighthearted like taking a walk around your estate or at a nearby park for 15 mins as starter. Extend another 15 mins once you are used to the 'rhythm' of your recreation. And try to do this after 4pm so that the heat from the sun is less intense. Should you need to stick this routine to a morning or a noon period (and when the sun is blazing hot) because of your work, school or home commitments, wear your sunscreen and ready your cap.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exercise? This is an interesting insight into exercise.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tyQSzx0ofto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks to Singveld for the fasting video.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exercise? This is an interesting insight into exercise.
Thanks to Singveld for the fasting video.

tumblr_m7qo4v53Cd1rtayj3.jpg

LIVE LONG and PROSPER

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look from 28:11, painfully truth about hydration. Which i was right along, scientific proof that you only need to drink when you are thirsty and not drink a lot of water is good.

should we start drinking even when we are not thirsty?

A lot of sinkies will tell you yes, bullshit. Now science tell you dehyration will not kill you, drink too much water will kill you.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Look from 28:11, painfully truth about hydration. Which i was right along, scientific proof that you only need to drink when you are thirsty and not drink a lot of water is good.

should we start drinking even when we are not thirsty?

A lot of sinkies will tell you yes, bullshit. Now science tell you dehyration will not kill you, drink too much water will kill you.

My wife tells me, do not drink sports energy drinks because of the hidden sugars and chemicals. Drink milk after sports is a better choice.

Also, if you want to drink Coke, and do not want to drink water, you are not thirty and do not need to drink anything. That is how she keeps slim. Cut out all the hidden sugar!

Sugar is more additive then smoking!

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My wife tells me, do not drink sports energy drinks because of the hidden sugars and chemicals. Drink milk after sports is a better choice.
Also, if you want to drink Coke, and do not want to drink water, you are not thirty and do not need to drink anything. That is how she keeps slim. Cut out all the hidden sugar!

your wife is wise. Lot of sinkie on the other hand drink water even if they are not thirsty. They are stupid cow.

jameshodge

Well, I guess in some senses I hope it does cause a revolution. A revolution where people stop looking outside the box to deal with body fat. It's not going anywhere till you work it out. Sometimes different health conditions cause obesity. The prosate gland is very important and according to Super Beta Prostate supplement reviews, this supplement can improve prostate health for a healthier you.

Springtime

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ways to prevent cancer, diabetes, heart attack when you get older, please watch this and decide if you want to do it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer

Most interesting was the explanation of the IGF-1 hormone produced by the liver. If people eat vast amounts of protein, IGF-1 begins to develop lots of new cells leading to an increased chance of a person contracting several forms of cancer and a number of other nasty diseases.

Research has shown that when the amount of protein eaten is lowered, the liver stops producing vast quantities of IGF-1 and the body begins to repair.

According to scientists this dire situation could be remedied by fasting which causes the body to feast on fat reserves and stops IGF-1 from being produced. Backed up with a low calorie diet, Mosley would be back on the path to a healthy future.

More remarkably scientists testing fasting on mice genetically engineered to develop Alzheimer’s showed in controlled experiments how their brains actually held off the disease for longer. The mice even began to develop new brain cells. This for me was the highlight of the whole programme.

After subjecting himself to various forms of fasting Mosley settled on a five week plan in which he would spend two days a week fasting (consuming less than 600 calories) and five days eating normally.

At the conclusion, Mosley had lost almost a stone, reduced his body fat, cholesterol, and blood sugar level. He also halved the amount of IGF-1 in his system. For him incorporating fasting and dieting into our lives could neutralize the ‘obesity bombshell’ exploding across western society.

It could also in the future be used to ward off the advance of Alzheimer’s and dementia.

However, despite the interesting science, the ultimate message was ‘eat healthy food, lower your calorie intake, exercise and weave in an occasional fast day. Do this and you will become thin and healthy’.

Does this low protein diet somewhat conflict with the low carbo diet which I tried successfully before?

The low carbo diet (Atkins diet) tend to take more protein (meat, fruits and vege) in place of the missing carbo to get the fill. The key is to avoid carbo sufficiently till the body started to produce ketones in the urine.

Will give this low protien diet a try - hopefully to prevent cancer, diabetes and heart attack.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
take vitamin D3...........when you get enough of it, many cancers cannot happen............that's why they keep trying to tell people stay out of the sun.........so you become deficient in vit D3..........all part of the plan to slow down population growth..........

Springtime

Alfrescian
Loyal
BBC Worldwide blocked all videos here.

Only the last one is spared.

Thanks to internet... Don't believe in the marketing.

"Bread, Jam and water" - good enough to be champion.

"Avoid sports drink, gets thinner and run faster."

Do not over drink. It could be fatal.

What about those NS chap who died of heat stroke?

What about that 8 glasses of water a day?

Brands Chicken Essence just before the exam??

Same with trainer shoes. Go bare foot.

I am very confused.

Springtime

Alfrescian
Loyal
take vitamin D3...........when you get enough of it, many cancers cannot happen............that's why they keep trying to tell people stay out of the sun.........so you become deficient in vit D3..........all part of the plan to slow down population growth..........

Bro, why specifically vitamin D3?

I googled and found websites talking about Vitamin D and cancer.

Too much sun will get skin cancer instead?