• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vancouver A Good Place to Emigrate To!

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wear a Sweater and a Hat to Keep Warm

I cannot stand long johns.

I need a knitted beanie or I feel light-headed. Too much heat escape from the head.

the reverse cycle air-con. yes. The inverter heat pump is more efficient these days. In my previous house, the electricity runs on single phase, the lights will dip when the old-style heat pump starts.

I used to set to 22*C, but still too cold by 4-5am. Moreover I only keep one zone (area) heated, and it is in low (quiet mode) until auto off at 6am. I will probably retire to a very small house, otherwise, heating cost will used up all my pension. hahaha

Then I let the winter sun warm up the room after 7am.

I gave up electric brankets because of fire risk.
I have a gas connection and a vent for the gas heater, but no gas heater ... hahaha

As I practised what I preached, may I suggest that you do the following to keep warm in the winter (and remove it as when you feel hot):
1. wear a 100% Merino fine wool vest or sweater, even at home, because you indicated that you feel cold and need to keep it at 25 C (whereas if you wear a wool vest or sweater, you may be able to reduce it to 21C);
2. wear a wool beret (if you are unable get one in Edmonton, perhaps, you may wish to buy one if and when you decide to travel to SG, or perhaps, consider asking the new immigrant to bring one from SG to Edmonton; whereas I did not bring mine from SG, but am wearing a black wool beret in Toronto; black like the armoured fellows, but if I wear my maroon or burgundy beret, it may generate a few questions);
3. wear a sheepskin wool hat with flaps for the very cold days (minus 15 C or colder); it may cost C$150 these days, but it is very warm; and
4. wear a down jacket or parka.
Cheers.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Wear a Sweater and a Hat to Keep Warm

As I practised what I preached, may I suggest that you do the following to keep warm in the winter (and remove it as when you feel hot):
1. wear a 100% Merino fine wool vest or sweater, even at home, because you indicated that you feel cold and need to keep it at 25 C (whereas if you wear a wool vest or sweater, you may be able to reduce it to 21C);
2. wear a wool beret (if you are unable get one in Edmonton, perhaps, you may wish to buy one if and when you decide to travel to SG, or perhaps, consider asking the new immigrant to bring one from SG to Edmonton; whereas I did not bring mine from SG, but am wearing a black wool beret in Toronto; black like the armoured fellows, but if I wear my maroon or burgundy beret, it may generate a few questions);
3. wear a sheepskin wool hat with flaps for the very cold days (minus 15 C or colder); it may cost C$150 these days, but it is very warm; and
4. wear a down jacket or parka.
Cheers.

Thanks for the tips.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
3777276982_e339d1971d_o.jpg
3776471905_f1aa1b7e2c_o.jpg
3776472511_29d20d2ee5_o.jpg
3777278352_ce3a38851d_o.jpg

3777277700_cb73c8ff5c_o.jpg
3777272722_edf1f11ec7_o.jpg
3327034735_cc14e06854_o.jpg

As expected, losers will eventually appear in this thread.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As expected, losers will eventually appear in this thread.

It is just some gangsters trying to control the drug market in Vancouver.

The fact that they are frontpage news indicate that these are not usual for the city, and such things are still newsworthy.

Too bad, these type of news are not reported in Singapore.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have stayed in Vancouver for almost four years; it's like heaven on earth.
The Rocky Mountains, Banff, Jasper, Oakanagan Valley(fruit orchards), Lake
Louise, etc - the views are just simply breathtaking.

And the Canadians are a nice lot.

Generally, a very good place to live and die - can die a happy and contented man.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Generally, a very good place to live and die - can die a happy and contented man.

So, your mind is broaden after staying too long in Singapore?
Where visiting shopping malls and restaurants are the main leisure.

Are Canadians petty? Do you find them engaging in petty things?
How about the politics of Canada, with its open press?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For those unfamiliar with Canada, Banff & Jasper are national Parks on the Alberta side of the Rockies. Lake Louise is in Banff. :smile:

You will also find the Columbia Ice Fields between Jasper & Banff. Its a glacier & you can take a ride in a special vehicle to go on a tour of the glacier.

Though the 2 are national parks, there are nice hotels at Banff from cheap youth hostels to the more expensive Lake Louise Hotel. Jasper is north of Banff & less developed than Banff. Both are nicer & prettier than Sentosa :biggrin:

Banff is something special in winter. You can see the mountains really up close, very picturesque :eek:

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is just some gangsters trying to control the drug market in Vancouver.

The fact that they are frontpage news indicate that these are not usual for the city, and such things are still newsworthy.

Too bad, these type of news are not reported in Singapore.

Yes, these are not your everyday event in Vancouver.

Sadly, some people either do not understand that or choose not to. They will painstakingly collect all these news and show them in this forum to convince (deceive) themselves, that Canada is not a good place.

Cheers.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, I sometimes dream of Vancouver. Literally.

Canada is a truly wonderful place to live and die. I hope to return there permanently soon.

Cheers.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
So, your mind is broaden after staying too long in Singapore?
Where visiting shopping malls and restaurants are the main leisure.

Are Canadians petty? Do you find them engaging in petty things?
How about the politics of Canada, with its open press?

You will find that there are many shallow and ignorant Singaporeans who argue that countries like Canada are inferior to Singapore just because they do not have an Orchard Road like Singapore.

I am always amused by the arguments Singaporeans use to justify why Singapore is the center of the universe.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Canadian Rockies, the Numerous Waterfalls and Various National Parks

For those unfamiliar with Canada, Banff & Jasper are national Parks on the Alberta side of the Rockies. Lake Louise is in Banff. :smile:

You will also find the Columbia Ice Fields between Jasper & Banff. Its a glacier & you can take a ride in a special vehicle to go on a tour of the glacier.

Though the 2 are national parks, there are nice hotels at Banff from cheap youth hostels to the more expensive Lake Louise Hotel. Jasper is north of Banff & less developed than Banff. Both are nicer & prettier than Sentosa :biggrin:

Banff is something special in winter. You can see the mountains really up close, very picturesque :eek:

I spent the summer of 1998, hitch hiking and walking the trails in the Canadian Rockies. I found that even the Europeans who were holidaying in Alberta at that time, indicated that the Canadian Rockies are more picturesque and more expansive than the Alps. The mountains, lakes and waterfalls look different in the morning from the afternoon, different when you are travelling North compared to when you are travelling South.

That summer, I also went to Vancouver, hike the trails in the USA, Victoria, Vancouver Island (my last ride was with an engineer who drove an air conditioned Jeep Cherokee), took the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince George (shared a hotel room with 2 Irish ladies [strangers who were holidaying from their nanny jobs] the night the ferry arrived late in Prince George; slept in the basement of a Catholic church, where the priest offered to wake me up early morning, and breakfast before I departed), took the train to Jasper, then hitch hiked to Lake Louise and Banff.

There are several National Parks in the Rockies, numerous waterfalls and glacial lakes. As I climbed Whistler Mountain, snow fell, even in August.

During my younger days, staying at youth hostels cost about C$13 to $15 a night, met numerous individuals, more than a few gave me rides, a few retired couples whom I met along my way, shared their lunches with me (they travelled in mobile homes), mostly Americans and Europeans gave me rides along the highway. A lady from Quebec gave me a ride to various touristy sites in the Rockies for several days, until her route differed from mine. I offered to pay for gas.

Canada is very beautiful. You have to see the Rockies, even if you decide not to emigrate to Canada.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those provincial parks are just as good, and not infested with tourists. example, the Switzer provincial park which near Jasper. Btw...do you know Switzer was a Canadian war hero whose alleged exploit was immortalized in the war movie...The Longest Day

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i'm surprised no one mentioned canmore, which is just outside of banff. since canmore is outside the park area, it's easier to buy properties there. i was on a real estate lookout in the canmore area 2 years ago, and prices weren't "cheap". they were like in the sf bay area, around usd700k to usd800k for a similar lot size and 3 to 4 bedroom home. don't know if the value has gone up or down after the housing bust of 08? however, the view is spectacular, with the 3 sisters dominating the skyline where ever you drive along highway 1. besides the 3 sisters, there are many more granite massifs much larger and taller than the el capitan or half dome in yosemite valley in california. further along the route to jasper from banff, it's just one or two cars or trucks every 5 miles or so. nothingness except the road, riverbed, peaks and hanging glaciers in hanging valleys. stopped at athabasca glacier and walked right to the edge - the tractor service to the middle of the glacier was not available then. will be going back to the fairmont at banff springs again for golf pretty soon. it's one of the most spectacular places for golf, beside pebble beach in california.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The Canadian Rockies, the Numerous Waterfalls and Various National Parks

I spent the summer of 1998, hitch hiking and walking the trails in the Canadian Rockies. I found that even the Europeans who were holidaying in Alberta at that time, indicated that the Canadian Rockies are more picturesque and more expansive than the Alps.

Never had the time & patience to hitch hike, you get to cover more ground touring in a car :smile:

I spent some some time driving my Japanese clunker through western Canada & the US. Visited many, many national parks in Alberta, California, Nevada,... Got to see all the famous places Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. The Canadian Rockies is by far the most strikingly beautiful place :smile:

The same thing on the eastern part of Canada. If you've visited Niagara Falls, the Canadian side is so much better than the american side.

During my younger days, staying at youth hostels cost about C$13 to $15 a night, met numerous individuals, more than a few gave me rides, ....

Canada is very beautiful. You have to see the Rockies, even if you decide not to emigrate to Canada.

Youth hostels are a god send for budget travellers. It beats sleeping in the car :smile: Even if you can afford hotels the youth hostel can be more fun with a better ambience as you meet interesting & friendly people.

Did you know tour companies in Spore are offering holiday packages to Banff, Jasper,... :confused: If someone is looking for a new home, can take a holiday & see if you like Canada :biggrin:

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Canadian Maritime Provinces

Never had the time & patience to hitch hike, you get to cover more ground touring in a car :smile:

I spent some some time driving my Japanese clunker through western Canada & the US. Visited many, many national parks in Alberta, California, Nevada,... Got to see all the famous places Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. The Canadian Rockies is by far the most strikingly beautiful place :smile:

The same thing on the eastern part of Canada. If you've visited Niagara Falls, the Canadian side is so much better than the american side.

Youth hostels are a god send for budget travellers. It beats sleeping in the car :smile: Even if you can afford hotels the youth hostel can be more fun with a better ambience as you meet interesting & friendly people.

Did you know tour companies in Spore are offering holiday packages to Banff, Jasper,... :confused: If someone is looking for a new home, can take a holiday & see if you like Canada :biggrin:

In the summer of 1995, we drove from Toronto to Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia (I love the beach at Antigonish with the waves, and there is a fresh water lake within 100+ metres) and Newfoundland. The maritime provinces are beautiful. The Canadian side of Niagara Falls (Horseshoe Falls) is more beautiful than the American Falls. I have been there several times. Sometimes, when I am in the Niagara Peninsula, I go there during lunch time. Hitch hiking was when I did not owned a motor vehicle.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, these are not your everyday event in Vancouver.

Sadly, some people either do not understand that or choose not to. They will painstakingly collect all these news and show them in this forum to convince (deceive) themselves, that Canada is not a good place.

Cheers.

tat pretty much sounds like the MO of red-ullshit, shiokshit, aussie prick, london cabby plus whatever nicks he have...

Try starting a thread slamming the US & saying Canada is better than US and see what happens...

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
We slept in a thousand stars hotel - slept in the open of a camping ground.
We sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars" - those were the nights.

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will find that there are many shallow and ignorant Singaporeans who argue that countries like Canada are inferior to Singapore just because they do not have an Orchard Road like Singapore.

I am always amused by the arguments Singaporeans use to justify why Singapore is the center of the universe.

Canada and Vancouver no doubt is a fabulous plate to migrate to. I wish anyone going over the very best of luck, and the good and certain fortune they deserve.

Just beware some morons like Chewed, Neddy, etc or anyone who joined this forum on July 2008 as this one person registered 10 nicks and like to spam this forum

If you a headed to Canada we hope you come here and share your thoughts and experiences and just ignore idiots like Chewed and you should be fine.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The Canadian Maritime Provinces

In the summer of 1995, we drove from Toronto to Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia (I love the beach at Antigonish with the waves, and there is a fresh water lake within 100+ metres) and Newfoundland. ...

Sadly when I was in eastern Canada I only got a chance to visit Niagara Falls & Montreal. Other than the falls, what I remember most is Canada's ERP(electronic road pricing) which they use to collect tolls.

They Canadian system is a more elegant than the system used in Spore. Bills are sent monthly to owners of a car instead of the clunky cash cards used in Spore. The system uses OCR(optical characterrecognition) to record the cars license plates but if cars have an electronic transponder installed they are given a discount on the tolls charged.

Hitch hiking was when I did not owned a motor vehicle.

I remember the first car I owned in Canada, a 10 year old Tercel Toyota. Paid CAN$2,000+ for it :smile: My second car was a little younger Corolla which cost CAN$3,000+. Both served me well on my trips around western Canada & the US.

The US & Canada are big, big places & you really need a car to get around to explore. I've met tourists who bought a car in San Francisco & drove to Vancouver & then sold the car to other tourists :eek: I know a Spore couple who spent their honeymoon in a rented recreation vehicle driving around Alberta & BC. :smile:

Have alot of happy memories of Canada & US. :biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those provincial parks are just as good, and not infested with tourists. example, the Switzer provincial park which near Jasper. Btw...do you know Switzer was a Canadian war hero whose alleged exploit was immortalized in the war movie...The Longest Day

Banff is more convenient to get to from Calgary. Driving from Edm to Calgary only takes 2.5 hours. Got many friends in Calgary, so for me Banff is more convenient to get to. Never felt crowded in Banff, Its quite a big park :smile:

Don't think I've ever been to Switzer Provincial Park. :confused: I have a copy of The Lonest Day Movie on DVD, its one of my favourit movies. Which heroic exploit was credited to Switzer:confused: