• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Used car con job

S

Shingen Takeda

Used car con job
Buyer discovers second-hand car has travelled 18,000km more than advertised

By Benson Ang
November 18, 2010

He sent his second-hand car for servicing a few days after he bought it.

To his surprise, he was told that the Honda Accord's odometer, which records the distance travelled, had been tampered with.

The car's actual mileage was at least 18,000km more than the advertised mileage, said the owner, who wanted to be known only as Mr Kan.

The employee in an IT company is one of seven consumers who have filed complaints with or have given feedback to the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case) after suspecting that their cars' odometer had been tampered with.

Case had four such cases in the previous three years.

All the cases involved consumers who bought second-hand cars. A different second-hand dealer was involved in each case.

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is outright cheating.

Many years ago I was buying a secondhand chopper road bike. After viewing the motorbike on saturday afternoon I am agreeing to buy it. The owner asking me to put deposit and he will be doing all the necessary paperwork for the transfer. I giving him the deposit and we agreed to collecting the bike next monday afternoon and paying the full amount.

On monday he calling me to telling to collect in the evening. I waiting for him and finally he turn up @ 8pm. I paying him the full amount, signing some papers and took over the bike. As I have to be rushing home I forgot to check the bike and just riding it home. The next morning I inspecting the bike and finding the exhaust pipe got hole on the side and some abrasion marks. This damage was not there when I am first time viewing the bike on saturday.

I calling up the owner but he is refusing to refund me the money or repairing the damage saying I already had signing the documents. I going to Case also no use. So I every day am calling him up and scolding him until he buay tahan and cancel his phone. :mad:

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
erm, is it a tweaked odometer case?

in your case, during the monday taking over. you would have to check it again before paying n signing the papers. when the sign off the papers, that's a done deal.

case would not be able help either. that paper evidences would be in his favour. there will only be your word vs. his. he has the help of the paper that usually will indicate that the subject is in "good" condition, or "as is" condition when handling over and you taking it over.